• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Common Army Phase

Yeah, apparently we're getting Tac Vests. We had a breifing here a while ago about all the fun stuff that goes on at CAP, and apparently we're getting all the fun new kit, except the new rucks.

Hey Gang, i've received a good new today... I'll do the CAP with you folks. Yes, there will be french syndicate on each platoon (about a son) ...

I just hope that the instructors will forgive me cause i'm not totally bilingual... ;D

I mean not yet, but i really do think that 3 months on an english platoon, following english course... i'll be a great bilingual canadian  :cdn: :warstory:

Ill see you the 18 may

chaos75 said:
Tac Vest...

Has that been confirmed by the Inf school?  Our BSL informed us to take our vests to Gagetown, but the joining instructions say webbing...

BTW, on yet another tangent, does anyone have the joining instructions for BOTP II in May?

Kit list kind of had me confused with the CF's/DEUs, with the part about rememberance day.  Are you guys bringing your CF's?

You may want to bring them.....in case there is a function that would require them.....perhaps for Graduation?

OK, thanks.

I was planning on bringing them, but I was curious as to what everyone was doing.

I was on CAP 2 summers ago and we needed EVERYTHING.  Every single piece of kit.  Check your joining instructions for a kit list...make sure you have EVERYTHING prior to showing up.

Does anyone know if we're allowed to bring extra kit out in the field? I.e. non-military, like a GPS or binocs, stuff like that.

Another what may seem like a dumb question.  What about Camel Backs?

I believe that GPS are verboten on CAP, reason being that you are to use map, compass, and noggin for getting around.

Is anyone here slated for the PRes CAP that kicks off June 27 in sunny Cagetown?

I will be there for Cap in late June as well as BOTP II June 20th

Mark/Spacedog,

You should have went Infantry with your logic of bed times.  I one-upped that though, and I was in bed by 2100 every night.  A Stealth Suit is a god send, though.

As far as the tips, you pretty much had those bang on, too.  I almost thought I was reading my own notes when you mentioned going to Bulk Barn every weekend.

I'll recover some of your points for the candidates:
-In non-summer courses, gloves are the be-all-and-end-all of kit.  You are totally useless once your hands freeze up, so don't worry about spending $100 on great gloves.
-I would also rec'd buying a mini peak stove from MEC. There's a Primus $60 version which is self-lighting, and the canisters are tiny (don't get the ones you have to refill).  The thing is tiny, and in my front vest pouch I have the can, a melmac cup, and the stove in the cup.  It all fits, and you'll be laughing when everyone else is fumbling with heat tabs.
-Bulk Barn is the way to go. One bag of energy (nuts), one bag of morale (swedish berries), and one bag of wake up (chocolate coffee beans).
-A GPS is nice once you fully understand how grids and bearings work, in order to give yourself a loc stat, but make yourself a map/compass master, first.
-A stealth suit is like an angel giving your entire body a hug.
-Waterproof paper seems tacky, but it's almost assured that it will be nice all week until you are next to go.
-Boots: If the CF won't pay for it, spend your own money to get a pair of boot soles vibramed.
-Sleeping bag: trash the liner and get a fleece liner (the only item worth the money at peacekeeper).

All of these items might seem like a waste of money while you're in the store, or when you're reading this online.  The reason you think it's a waste of time is that you slept last night, you have eaten, you are warm, and you are dry.  Once you a freezing and wet in the field (because you didn't buy these things), you'll think to yourself that you'd now pay double in order to have them.

The only trick with those isobutane stoves is that you cannot fly with the gas canisters because they are pressurized.  I have an MSR Simmerlite stove which runs on napatha (easy to get anywhere in the CF!), and it's still pretty tiny.

Do a search.  In simple terms, it's a Goretex shell jacket, basically the inside of a Goretex jacket.  Extremely lightweight, designed to be worn under one's combat shirt.

I sold mine, and now I've got to try and get a new one before I leave for course!

The best reason to get the kind if stove I was referring to is that it's ultra-small, with a minimum of pieces.  I'd much rather spend $5 (crazy small) or $7 (medium small) on a pressurized can which will still last a couple weeks of course usage, than refill bulky cans which have a hose attachment.

On the good Primus one, the thing is the size of an autostart button on a key ring, and all you do is fold out the three wings and screw it right onto the can.  No hoses, and no lighter needed.  Just turn the dial and click the self-igniter.

Yes, Naptha is free (if you're stealing it), but $5-$7 is chicken feed when you're talking about packing as small as possible and living in style.

SeanNewman said:
The best reason to get the kind if stove I was referring to is that it's ultra-small, with a minimum of pieces.   I'd much rather spend $5 (crazy small) or $7 (medium small) on a pressurized can which will still last a couple weeks of course usage, than refill bulky cans which have a hose attachment.

On the good Primus one, the thing is the size of an autostart button on a key ring, and all you do is fold out the three wings and screw it right onto the can.   No hoses, and no lighter needed.   Just turn the dial and click the self-igniter.

Yes, Naptha is free (if you're stealing it), but $5-$7 is chicken feed when you're talking about packing as small as possible and living in style.

I have a Whisperlite, which isn't much bigger than the pressurized ones you're mentioning.  Stealing Naptha...hahaha.  The good thing about the Whisperlite is that it takes any type of fuel, so if you're hard up, you can use gas, diesel, kerosene - whatever you can find.

I put the Whisperlite in my ruck and used it a bunch of times when I was deployed (nothing like brewing up some tea on those overnighters).

I had a Whisperlite which I traded for the Simmerlite because balancing a canteen cup on the Whisperlite was a pain in the ass - it was just slightly too small, and I didn't want to have to carry another extra piece of kit.

I agree that the little canisters for isobutane peaks are pretty awesome, it's just that trying to get a canister when you show up in Gagetown for course I didn't bet on being easy.

As it happens, my napatha karma is pretty good I think - I bought a gallon can and tossed it in the unit's POL shed on the understanding that I had "done my part" and I'll just donate them in every now and then.  If I'm brewing up for the section on course, I figure that's fair use of Her Majesty's Petroleum Distillates - if I can't get a can of napatha of my own at Canex to top up my fuel bottle with.

Redeye said:
If I'm brewing up for the section on course, I figure that's fair use of Her Majesty's Petroleum Distillates

That's what I was looking for....

Infanteer said:
That's what I was looking for....

Surely no one would think I would have the gall to misappropriate resources of our Sovereign?!  I'm just not that kind of troop - even if I am a Hasty P!

2Bravo said:
The bears in the training area have learned that troops = food so the normal counter-measures do not always work.  

If you're on a live-fire ex, are you allowed to shoot any bears that enter the perimeter?

Back