• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Element selection: is it our choice?

Oh I got it all sorted. Had a recruiter assigned to my file (after my first had transferred) and he appreciated that I "held fast" on my preference.

As I see it, my future career will be a series of following orders that i both agree with, disagree with, am cut out for, or not. As such, I figure to assert myself a bit at the beginning, I can at least get the trajectory right, and trust in the system for the rest.

BMOQ in September!
September 09 maybe? I shall be there too...

Good afternoon everyone.

Today I was excited to see that my offer has come through for BMQ for this fall. Though I did notice a change that was made.

When I applied and interviewed for logistics, I was asked by the detatchment cmdr what element I wanted; to which I said air.

I looked at my offer, and it said logistics land. Is this a thing that happens? Is the question raised again once at BMQ or does the CAF put you in whatever element despite asking?

Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but since the long stretch of waiting - all of the research I've been doing has been about the RCAF and it's structure. I just would rather not have my choice undermined by an error or a mis-communication.

Thanks yawl.
My offer says specifically "Army". I asked for it, Navy being my last choice (personal preference...).

From my conversations with my MCC and my understanding, it is necessary to look at the bigger picture.
Do you want to accede to a higher rank? Do you want to evolve in your trade? Accept a position outside your comfort zone, aka your preferred CAF branch.
Logistics is similar almost everywhere.

And...
After signing the Terms of Service, we are CAF members.
If CAF needs somebody to cover a position, they will ask you to go there, you can decline the offer and CAF will find somebody else. But, if you are the most competent person at date for THAT position and CAF needs YOU there, YOU.GO.THERE.
It is not only CAF, all other armies around world are identical.

YOU'RE IN THE ARMY NOW !

My offer says specifically "Army". I asked for it, Navy being my last choice (personal preference...).

From my conversations with my MCC and my understanding, it is necessary to look at the bigger picture.
Do you want to accede to a higher rank? Do you want to evolve in your trade? Accept a position outside your comfort zone, aka your preferred CAF branch.
Logistics is similar almost everywhere.

And...
After signing the Terms of Service, we are CAF members.
If CAF needs somebody to cover a position, they will ask you to go there, you can decline the offer and CAF will find somebody else. But, if you are the most competent person at date for THAT position and CAF needs YOU there, YOU.GO.THERE.
It is not only CAF, all other armies around world are identical.

YOU'RE IN THE ARMY NOW !
You’ve said this twice now.

You’re not in until you’re in. At which point, yes, CAF gets to dictate a great deal of your career. But until you have accepted their career offer, you aren’t bound to anything. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with declining an offer you don’t want and holding out for your preferred element and trade, if that’s what you want and you’re willing to risk not being offered it.

Otherwise, it is possible to be "Lieutenant" for your next 10-15 (maybe more...) years for only reason the rank assigned for LogO on your HMC ship is "Lieutenant"
Did this MCC make it clear to you that a Naval Lieutenant is the same rank as an Army/Air Force Captain. And that most Supply Officers in HMC Ships will be promoted to LCdr at or near to the end of their appointment as Supply Head of Department?

Did this MCC make it clear to you that a Naval Lieutenant is the same rank as an Army/Air Force Captain. And that most Supply Officers in HMC Ships will be promoted to LCdr at or near to the end of their appointment as Supply Head of Department?
I apologize...

It is out of my control when somebody can't read between lines or take a quote out of context.
Because...
Everything I wanted with my post was to encourage everybody to make a personal "priorities-in-career" assessment.
I didn't have any intention to ruffle any feathers or to dander up anybody.

Obviously, a different perspective is totally inopportune and asinine. I shall keep my opinions to myself and my spirit high.

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit

I apologize...

It is out of my control when somebody can't read between lines or take a quote out of context.
Because...
Everything I wanted with my post was to encourage everybody to make a personal "priorities in career" assessment.
I didn't have any intention to ruffle any feather or to dander up anybody.

Obviously, a different perspective is totally inopportune and asinine. I shall keep my opinions to myself and my spirit high.

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
You didn’t ‘ruffle feathers’ or ‘dander up’ myself or anyone else. You spoke a bit outside of your arcs, as excited potential recruits tend to do. I gently corrected you while offering reassurance to other potential applicants that there’s nothing wrong, at the offer stage, with holding out for something you’re OK with before you commit. That was based off my 20 or so years in one uniform or another. FSTO then offered his insight based on a pretty considerable career in the navy under his belt.

Getting pissy when you’re given some guidance or correction won’t be the easiest path as a junior officer in the Forces.

You didn’t ‘ruffle feathers’ or ‘dander up’ myself or anyone else. You spoke a bit outside of your arcs, as excited potential recruits tend to do. I gently corrected you while offering reassurance to other potential applicants that there’s nothing wrong, at the offer stage, with holding out for something you’re OK with before you commit. That was based off my 20 or so years in one uniform or another. FSTO then offered his insight based on a pretty considerable career in the navy under his belt.

Getting pissy when you’re given some guidance or correction won’t be the easiest path as a junior officer in the Forces.
I am a very positive person. "Getting pissy"? Definitely not me... Thank you for the input, though.

I said:
It is out of my control ...
Everything I wanted ...
I didn't have any intention ...
I shall keep ... my spirit high.
I ONLY apologized for any eventual misunderstanding ... that's all.

"Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit" means (following a loose translation adapted at present situation): perhaps, somewhere in the future, we will laugh even about those bad moments when we disagreed. It is a positive quote... like me...

I am a very positive person. "Getting pissy"? Definitely not me... Thank you for the input, though.

I said:
It is out of my control ...
Everything I wanted ...
I didn't have any intention ...
I shall keep ... my spirit high.
I ONLY apologized for any eventual misunderstanding ... that's all.

"Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit" means (following a loose translation adapted at present situation): perhaps, somewhere in the future, we will laugh even about those bad moments when we disagreed. It is a positive quote... like me...
The staff at BMOQ are gonna have fun with you…

Back