• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Coming onto two years

eilaw

Inactive
Reaction score
Like the title says, it's coming up to two years since I completed the CFAT with the goal of becoming an officer in Int, Log or Arm.

In another thread I detailed some of the issues with my application that has led to the lengthy process. Mainly, my long periods of residence in China, as a student and then as a expat worker. Obviously security issues and the background check were the main barriers to entry. The low numbers of Int positions available and preference for those already in the CF also don't help, though many Log positions are currently available.

After sorting out all the paperwork, and miraculously getting my hands on a police criminal record check from Chinese authorities and a credit report - two things that are very difficult to get without the proper connections - I was finally allowed to arrange for an interview and medical.

The interview took place today, and it was a lot longer than I expected. It took about an hour and was very similar to what can be expected at any corporate job interview. One interesting thing I did find out was that I scored 100% on the verbal portion of the CFAT, though I was very average in the other portions.

In the ensuing two years while waiting in limbo, I've utilized that time to get myself into shape. I'm confident I now make the minimums for fitness, but of course, minimums aren't good enough. I've been fortunate enough to have a friend who is a kinesiology graduate and a personal trainer to help me devise a workout plan.

Basically four sets each with 10 reps, and all major muscles are worked out. He strongly emphasizes core training, and most importantly in having a proper diet. According to him, working out without eating properly is just wasting time and energy without any gains. He advocates many small meals and avoiding of fat and sugars while keeping up protein intake.

The amount of push-ups I can do, to me, is the biggest indicator of my physical fitness progress. Initially I couldn't do a single push-up, only able to raise myself slightly above the ground. Being slightly overweight and extremely unfit did not help. Now I can do 30 on average.

Sit-ups have also improved, and on a good day I can finish 50.

Running and cardio are now my biggest challenges. Due to poor air quality in China, it was something that I didn't work too much on, but now I'm back in Canada, it's something I'm really focusing on. I'm simply running around the track and counting my laps and times.

A good friend of mine, a veteran of the CF and the British army, has just returned to Canada. Being a infantryman for the past decade and nearly badged into the SAS, he's in great shape and a strong believer in hill and interval training. So luckily for me, I have an extremely fit former platoon sergeant to further motivate me and take me out for hikes, and these are training hikes not the communing with nature and bird watching types.

My medical is two days from now and I don't foresee any problems there, but who knows what surprises may turn up.

Don't drink coffee or any fluid that increases your heart beat before your medical.  I wish you the best.  ;)

Just completed my medical, and everything passed. Being poked, prodded, made to push buttons and read out letters wasn't too bad. They also let me loose in the kitchen when I told them I haven't eaten yet - they had mistakenly told me to fast when it wasn't necessary.

So now it's just a waiting game for the powers in Ottawa to determine if my security check requires further scrutiny and then until the next selection board in April. I also have to decide whether to hold out for Int or accept Log in order to get into the CF quickly.

I've read the trades fact sheet for Log, but will need to do more research into that trade before I make my decision.

I should also thank the Army.ca community for all the help and resources that are available. It has certainly made the process easier and the, at times, lively discussions are informative if not entertaining.

eilaw said:
Just completed my medical, and everything passed. Being poked, prodded, made to push buttons and read out letters wasn't too bad. They also let loose in the kitchen when I told them I haven't eaten yet - they had mistakenly told me to fast when it wasn't necessary.

So now it's just a waiting game for the powers in Ottawa to determine if my security check requires further scrutiny and then until the next selection board in April. I also have to decide whether to hold out for Int or accept Log in order to get into the CF quickly.

I've read the trades fact sheet for Log, but will need to do more research into that trade before I make my decision.

I should also thank the Army.ca community for all the help and resources that are available. It has certainly made the process easier and the, at times, lively discussions are informative if not entertaining.

Congratulations... It is nice to know you did well.  Compare both job specs and select where/what your passion is.  I wish you the best on your application. ;)

eilaw said:
I scored 100% on the verbal portion of the CFAT

Did you teach ESL as an expat in China? I scored 100% on the verbal as well, and I believe my 7+ years of ESL teaching was probably a factor. My MCC said, "There are some really obscure words [on the verbal section]!" and I said to him, "My students always managed to come up with obscure words for me to define for them." ;)

Celticgirl said:
Did you teach ESL as an expat in China? I scored 100% on the verbal as well, and I believe my 7+ years of ESL teaching was probably a factor. My MCC said, "There are some really obscure words [on the verbal section]!" and I said to him, "My students always managed to come up with obscure words for me to define for them." ;)

Yes, I taught for two years, one year in a school and one year privately. Being a history major - lots of reading - probably didn't hurt either. I may recognize big words but have a hell of a time trying to use them. Actually, I found my English-language abilities deteriorated after too long in China, I ended up speaking in Chinglish, forgetting words, or dropping words in sentences.

I see you're waiting for an offer too, hope it comes sooner than later. The upside of another 8 more months means I have more time to get myself into shape, though the upcoming winter months will means lots of wet days running about.

eilaw said:
I see you're waiting for an offer too, hope it comes sooner than later. The upside of another 8 more months means I have more time to get myself into shape, though the upcoming winter months will means lots of wet days running about.

I must have missed something...why 8 months? There should be another BMOQ in January. Could you not potentially get an offer for that time or has someone told you that it could take longer? I figure I will be on the January course myself, which gives me four (more) months to get in tip-top shape. I would love to be going next week, though!

I am glad to see your application is moving along now...hopefully you see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Curious..have you dropped Armour Officer as one of your selections?  It is a great occupation for Officers (my opinion is biased, of course), there are a few Armour Officers kicking around here and lots of stuff on the Armour forum as well.

Celticgirl said:
I figure I will be on the January course myself, which gives me four (more) months to get in tip-top shape. I would love to be going next week, though!

I met a guy today at the RC who got a call a few days before being sworn in today and is leaving on the 24th of this month for the 25th BMOQ.  So hang in tight.  You might get a call soon too for the Sep course.  Miracles happen.  ;)

apache2001 said:
I met a guy today at the RC who got a call a few days before being sworn in today and is leaving on the 24th of this month for the 25th BMOQ.  So hang in tight.  You might get a call soon too for the Sep course.  Miracles happen.  ;)

Don't tease me, apache!  :D

Celticgirl said:
I must have missed something...why 8 months? There should be another BMOQ in January. Could you not potentially get an offer for that time or has someone told you that it could take longer? I figure I will be on the January course myself, which gives me four (more) months to get in tip-top shape. I would love to be going next week, though!

Two issues, they need to confirm with Ottawa that I'm finished with the security check details. The person handling my paperwork said she's sure everything is fine, but will need final confirmation from Ottawa. Apparently they've received the paperwork, just awaiting word on if it's good enough or if they want more. So best case scenario is within the month they'll get the confirmation that I'm good to go, if not then it might be a couple more years of security related checks.

Second problem is the Int positions for this fiscal year has already been filled, and my MCC told me they'll only know how many positions will open up when the new fiscal year rolls around, which is April. He suggested I keep Int as my only choice for now, because if I add Log to my second choice, it's next to certain a position in Log will show up and it would look bad on my file if I rejected a job offer. Also he's not sure how competitive I'll be since they like to recruit Int from within and don't take too many civvies off the street. My best hope is if a bunch of Int officers decide to retire and a lot of positions open up.

Eye In The Sky said:
I am glad to see your application is moving along now...hopefully you see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Curious..have you dropped Armour Officer as one of your selections?  It is a great occupation for Officers (my opinion is biased, of course), there are a few Armour Officers kicking around here and lots of stuff on the Armour forum as well.

Armour sounds exciting, and it's still on the list but at third place. My Brit army veteran friend warned me of joining a combat arms trade at my age, 31, as I'd be running around, and trying to stay up with, with guys many years my junior. It would be great if I got posted to LdSH though, being a Vancouverite, Edmonton would be a nice posting.

Int is what I really want to do, so I'm holding out for that until April, or longer depending on the final status of my security check. Log is second choice because a lot of the duties are in areas I'm interested in, and it seems like there are a lot of positions available.

Celticgirl said:
Don't tease me, apache!  :D

We all got sworn in today and I hope you get a call so you will join us.  He even wished he will be moved to the Sep course so that he can prepare a bit at least.  ;)

apache2001 said:
We all got sworn in today and I hope you get a call so you will join us.  He even wished he will be moved to the Sep course so that he can prepare a bit at least.  ;)

Congrats on getting through, hopefully I'll be in your position within a year.

Today I went for a run and timed myself. Was pleasantly surprised as I hadn't time myself on the track before. Six laps for 2.4k took just under 15 minutes, clocking in at around 14.40. The best part was after the fifth lap I caught my second wind and felt myself increasing my pace. I'm feeling pretty confident now that I can bring that down to a respectable time with some more hard work.

There's a Running Room not too far from me and I'll drop by and see what they can do for me. They have different clinics that requires a fee, but they also have free runs organized, so it might be worthwhile to join them for the runs.

eilaw said:
Congrats on getting through, hopefully I'll be in your position within a year.

Today I went for a run and timed myself. Was pleasantly surprised as I hadn't time myself on the track before. Six laps for 2.4k took just under 15 minutes, clocking in at around 14.40. The best part was after the fifth lap I caught my second wind and felt myself increasing my pace. I'm feeling pretty confident now that I can bring that down to a respectable time with some more hard work.

There's a Running Room not too far from me and I'll drop by and see what they can do for me. They have different clinics that requires a fee, but they also have free runs organized, so it might be worthwhile to join them for the runs.

Thanks eilaw.  Keep it up and be patient.  It is worth the wait.  ;)

eilaw said:
Int is what I really want to do, so I'm holding out for that until April, or longer depending on the final status of my security check. Log is second choice because a lot of the duties are in areas I'm interested in, and it seems like there are a lot of positions available.

Do you really know what Int does? Do you think that Int sits in small rooms with lots and lots of paper, thick smoke and cigars and chat to each other with code? Wearing really baggy or ill fitting suits (well... I guess DEUs count) and peep through a camera and carry a snub nosed revolver in the back of their pants?

Anyways, my point is that although there are some fairly good DEO Int types out there,  the more you know about the CF prior to becoming an Int O the better and more accurately you'll be able to assess the information presented to you when building a report. Part of being an Int O is your ability to role play... no not THAT kind of role play. How well you can think in another's shoes helps allot. Having not been in the CF in another trade or branch severely limits your ability to include experiences from your previous incarnation.

Like I said, there are a few really good ones that haven't been in the CF before... but they are few and far between.

My honest advice is go into Log. Get MOC qualified and then re muster after you've done some time in that MOC. It will give you the experience, the understanding and familiarization with the CF and some of the way it works to help you become a competent Int O. Not good... but competent. Everyone strives to be good, and many become great. Take my advice as you will, but all the best to you.

I don't agree with your advice one bit.  How does Log O experience make a goodcompetent Int O? 

Did you include the fact that the person may have to stay a Log 0 for 4 years before being able to even apply for an OT, and that as an Officer, the numbers of OTs allowed out are signficantly smaller than those of NCMs?  Those are facts that should be included.  The CFAO ref: Officer Transfer is CFAO 10-1

Also, do you not think that, after 4 years in a a DEO Int O, the poster would be significantly trained to do the job, with an understanding of the CF?  I have a friend who is a rather newly-minted Int O, and he is a damn good one, as he was an Int Op before, with operational experience in 2 theaters (Afghan and FRY).  He easily transitioned from one to the other, as he was familiair with the Int Op world, something I doubt any amount of years in Logisitics will prepare the poster for as you seem to be suggesting.

I'd rather see people getting into the trades they want, rather than being unhappy doing something they don't really want to do, to get experience.  4 years of being an Int O would better prep them for being a competent Int O than 4 years of being a Log O will, and that is just a fact.

Eye In The Sky said:
I don't agree with your advice one bit.  How does Log O experience make a good Int O? 

Did you include the fact that the person would have to stay a Log 0 for 4 years before being able to even apply for an OT, and that as an Officer, the numbers of OTs allowed out are signficantly smaller than those of NCMs?  Those are facts that should be included.

Also, do you not think that, after 4 years in a a DEO Int O, the poster would be significantly trained to do the job, with an understanding of the CF?  I have a friend who is a rather newly-minted Int O, and he is a damn good one, as he was an Int Op before, with operational experience in 2 theaters (Afghan and FRY).  He easily transitioned from one to the other, as he was familiair with the Int Op world, something I doubt any amount of years in Logisitics will prepare the poster for as you seem to be suggesting.

I'd rather see people getting into the trades they want, rather than being unhappy doing something they don't really want to do, to get experience.  4 years of being an Int O would better prep them for being a competent Int O than 4 years of being a Log O will, and that is just a fact.

And I have to disagree with your first sentence, which you go on and contradict in using your 'friend' as an example.  DEO INT O, off the street is one thing.  DEO INT O by a (Reserve) INT OP is a completely different thing. 

One has absolutely no idea what ORBATS or Tactics are, while the other has plenty of experience (figuratively - especially if (s)he had been Cbt Arms prior to being an INT OP).  Can I ask you a question?  What would you like to have giving you a briefing:  1.  An INT O who has no idea what a Bn is; or 2.  An INT O who knows what a Bn is and what kind of equipment and capabilities it has?  A vast majority of people coming in off the street can "book learn", but they seem to be greatly lacking in really understanding and accurately applying what they have read.  'But if you prefer example 1 above, fill your boots.

George,

Thats not quite what I am saying.  I am saying that, after 4 years experience, I am sure a Int O would know what a Bn is.  If I have to pick between a Int O who has say, 6 years in the CF, was DEO and entered as a Int O, or an Int O who has 6 years in the CF, was DEO, did 4 years as a Log O, then OVOTP to Int O, I would have to say I'd pick the Officer with 6 years MOC experience. 

I do realize that experience, apptitude, and competence do all not always go hand in hand. 

How do I contradict myself?  Int Op experience is related to the Int O world directly, where as Log O experience is not.

Back