• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Coming onto two years

Barbarossa said:
Hey Eilaw my buddy.

I've been told by my recruiter that for trades that require security level clearance 2 that you must have 7 years continual stay in Canada.

How about you? How come they process your file when you only have 4 years here in Canada?  Thanks.

Barbarossa,

You've been answered the same questions over and over again here:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/88938.15.html

Your file is different from Eilaw's which is different from mine which is different from someone else's. That is it.

You cannot expect people to give you such answers on this forum. You need to speak to your recruiter in order to know why you need 7 years.
He will answer your questions and help you understand the process better.

Good luck,
Alea

I'm not going to speculate why the schedule for our background checks are different, but like one poster said, best to talk to the people over at the recruiting office. Just a point, I wasn't born in Canada, but moved here when I was too young to remember.

Just a quick update, CFRC Vancouver asked me for further criminal background information from China from last stint there while I was on co-op term. I told them I didn't have such documents because I was told as long as I returned every six months to Canada I was not technically considered living overseas. This was followed up and I was told that I was misinformed and a criminal record check will be required.

I'm more than a little annoyed that the goal post has been changed on me as I previously clarified with the members at the office if this was the case several times and they affirmed it each time. I also came back to Canada every six months and went to the office so they could photocopy my passport.

I've spoken with a few people in China, the Canadian consulate and embassy to see if they could provide paperwork saying I do not have a criminal record in China, but they declined to provide such documentation.

The CF Ombudsman said at best I could write to Canadian Forces Recruiting Group, explain the situation and hope they give me a pass on my last stint because I was given erroneous information.

I do have a contact in China who is asking around for back channels to see if someone can provide me the criminal background information without going through the official route. Now you have to understand China is a administrative bureaucracy, that means while there are regulations, it's the bureaucrats at the ground level who decides how and when to enforce them. Depending on who you know, rules apply differently and in severity.

The official notary office told my contact getting a background check is possible if the proper paperwork were brought to them. This also requires the Public Security Bureau to provide a document. When my contact went to the PSB, the official there all but confirmed such documentation is available until the officer was asked to provide it - all the information is computerized and she pulled my information very quickly and confirmed it was all there. Then rules began being quoted, from "We don't officially provide these documents." to "The applicant has to come in person." to "We need the applicant to come in person and to provide a letter saying you can officially represent the applicant."

My last resort was to contact my MP who has assigned his assistant to look into my case. He has spoken to his counterpart in the DND and has told me a judgement should be coming down shortly. 

As the title says, coming up to two years. Now it'll be four years in about two months. I spoke with a good friend of mine who used to manage a recruiting office and he gave me the context in how the recruiting offices work, and I'm very sympathetic to those who work there given the resources allotted to them. What I find frustrating is the need for every applicant to fit into a one-size-only regulation peg without consideration for certain realities - something my friend also voiced frustration over.

On the flipside, if I do get past the security issues, I can now add another trade to my choices as I'll have a diploma in journalism soon and can apply to be a media officer.

But hey, four years on and with a 10-month old addition to the family to consider now, the whole application process is almost an academic exercise to see if I can get myself accepted. Whether I accept is a different issue now.

Well, the notary in Shanghai has changed its requirements once again. After getting the documents one clerk wanted and returning to the notary office to be seen by another clerk, the new clerk spouted a bunch of different regulations, contradicting what the previous clerk said and what the Public Security Bureau officer stated.

The process is reminding me of that Asterix episode where he and Obelix try to get a document from the Romans and are sent from task to task to task.

Still waiting for DND to get back to my MP's office with their decision.

Never give up on your dream! Your the most dedicated  person i've ever seen!

Goodluck

Another update on my continuing application saga.

I finally managed to get a criminal record check from Chinese authorities after nearly a year of round arounds. I submitted the paperwork to the recruiting office down in New Westminster, but found some disappointing news. When I had originally applied, four years ago, the office would process your application even though there was no employment offer. It was explained that at the time, things were so busy, it was certain that an offer would come around eventually.

Not anymore. I was told my criminal record paperwork would be put into my file - which had been closed, and it'll be looked at IF positions open up. So that means my file is static pending future positions opening up, which I was told doesn't look good unless you're looking for a technical trade.

I was told because of the poor economy, people are staying in longer and they're not seeing the turnover they're used to, and with the large number of hirings in the past few years, things are getting tighter now.

So just as I jump the last hurdle, hiring is now at a standstill.

I was told though I could try to go into the reserves and that would just depend on the local reserve regiment having a position open for me. I'll wait until the next fiscal year, when openings come up before I decide what to do.

I still remember when I first applied back in 2006, never did I think in 2010 I'd still be dealing with my CF application.

I am just AMAZED at your patience.  I am hanging onto every word and am cheering for you!  I really hope you make it this year.  :nod:

Wow, what a story.  I am so glad I  never left to teach english in asia.

Back