• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CDN/US Covid-related political discussion

Canada has emerged as one of the only countries in the world with significant outbreaks of three different variants occurring at the same time — turning us into a giant experiment on the world stage.

"There's no other country that's kind of dealing with it as we are — we have all of them emerging at once," said Dr. Zain Chagla, an infectious diseases physician at St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton.
So nothing about vaccine procurement.

I love how the argument shifts when people look at things outside Canadas borders.

So nothing about vaccine procurement.

I love how the argument shifts when people look at things outside Canadas borders.

Pardon?? Maybe those countries aren't dealing with all 3 variants of concern because they started fast off the block while we twiddled out thumbs??

Just saw this on FB......with the caption "and we are the problem?"

Attachments

• problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 16

They were able to trace 402 outbreak-causing sublineages back to other countries. That number is undoubtedly an underestimate, the paper said, as genetic sequencing is carried out for only about one per cent of positive tests in Canada, and many COVID infections are asymptomatic and never even diagnosed.

The researchers also found 1,380 “singletons” — virus that came into Canada but did not appear to cause more cases after arriving. Some of the people bringing in those versions of the bug may have never given it to anyone else. It’s also possible many did trigger virus spread here, but that the genetic sequencing documenting such transmission didn’t happen, said McLaughlin.

Of the 402 outbreak-causing sublineages, 218 likely originated from the U.S., about 54 per cent of the total, the study concluded. Another 29 introduced variants came from Russia, 25 each from Italy and India, 22 from the U.K. and 15 each from Spain and France, the paper indicates.
uh huh.

I hope they didn't waste money on that study......Homer Simpson could have told us that. If only we were willing to forgo fresh fruits and veggies.

I'll bet most of their border states could have the same study done.....and guess what it would say? I hope you've started grabbing paper straws, they are easier on the environment.

I hope they didn't waste money on that study......Homer Simpson could have told us that. If only we were willing to forgo fresh fruits and veggies.

I'll bet most of their border states could have the same study done.....and guess what it would say? I hope you've started grabbing paper straws, they are easier on the environment.
Its a bit silly focusing on flights coming in from India,Brazil, Egypt, when the bulk of our cases come from the good ole US of A.

And we’re on our way to pick up a fourth, B.1.617, from India, especially interesting as it’s a double-mutant variant.

Its a bit silly focusing on flights coming in from India,Brazil, Egypt, when the bulk of our cases come from the good ole US of A.
Not so sure about that...not shutting down entry of a new, double-mutant variant doesn’t seem like a good idea to me.

Canada is certainly aiming to be #1 in the world for something when it comes to COVID.

Keep those infected planes coming!

Amid surging cases and 'double mutant' variant, flights from India touch down in Canada​

Article link
India’s Ministry of Health and Welfare reports there are currently 1.9 million active cases of COVID-19 in the country

Author of the article:
Emma Sandri
Publishing date:
Apr 19, 2021 • Last Updated 1 hour ago • 3 minute read
DEL6118813_54026599-scaled-e1618854875725.jpg
An Air India domestic flight takes off from Sardar Vallabhbhai International Airport in Ahmedabad on May 12, 2012. PHOTO BY SAM PANTHAKY /AFP / Getty Images

Flights from Delhi continue to land in Canada despite India’s daily tally of COVID-19 infections surging to a record over the weekend — and amid the emergence of a new “double mutant” variant in the country.

A federal government website that lists flights where someone has been confirmed to have been infected with COVID-19shows that from April 4 to April 16, there were 120 flights with a COVID-positive passenger or passengers.

Of those flights, 27 were from Delhi.
India banned international flights last month, but Canada is one of 13 nations exempted through an “air bridge” arrangement between the two governments.

In an email on Wednesday, Anne Génier, a spokesperson for the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC), said the agency was “aware of the reports” regarding the double mutation “first described” in India, and that it was “closely monitoring the situation.”

(remainder of article at link above)

Fortunately PHAC is “monitoring the situation....”

And we’re on our way to pick up a fourth, B.1.617, from India, especially interesting as it’s a double-mutant variant.

Not so sure about that...not shutting down entry of a new, double-mutant variant doesn’t seem like a good idea to me.

Canada is certainly aiming to be #1 in the world for something when it comes to COVID.

Keep those infected planes coming!

Amid surging cases and 'double mutant' variant, flights from India touch down in Canada​

Article link

Fortunately PHAC is “monitoring the situation....”
Fair point. I would ban flights from the India as well.

But even the USA isn't doing it, so those cases would cross the border regardless.

I do find it telling that I ask repeatedly for countries that have done better than Canada in terms of vaccine rollout and the discussion shifts away to something else though. Just saying.

I do find it telling that I ask repeatedly for countries that have done better than Canada in terms of vaccine rollout and the discussion shifts away to something else though. Just saying.
And I find it telling that you consider that we are running middle of the pack with the also rans, that that itself is good enough for you. I expected better. Just saying.

And I find it telling that you consider that we are running middle of the pack with the also rans, that that itself is good enough for you. I expected better. Just saying.
All I am hearing from you is you expect Canada to be running up there with the vaccine powerhouses who have domestic production, but not saying how you expect to be up there with the vaccine powerhouses with no domestic production.

Sure, you make stuff up all the time.

"Just go to the vaccine companies first and buy ALL their supply"

Which no country has done, which leads to the realization that what you were suggesting was never going to happen.

Other than that, you want Canada to be up there with the USA and UK. How? Magic.

All I am hearing from you is you expect Canada to be running up there with the vaccine powerhouses who have domestic production, but not saying how you expect to be up there with the vaccine powerhouses with no domestic production.

Sure, you make stuff up all the time.

"Just go to the vaccine companies first and buy ALL their supply"
How about some foresight in approaching vaccine companies to request vaccines. How about the totally PC approach that would not limit international flights from China and other countries of concern, and continues today, saying that curbing flights was "racist." How about admitting that saying masks were over-reacting and weren't needed was wrong? How about admitting that the governments, at many levels, have seriously misjudged, and then had to backtrack as they realize they fucked up.
But, as I have said before, keep polishing the turd. I am sure in your mind it shines.

How about some foresight in approaching vaccine companies to request vaccines.
Name me the countries in the G20 that had the foresight in approaching vaccine companies to request vaccines.

I'll wait.

How about the totally PC approach that would not limit international flights from China and other countries of concern, and continues today, saying that curbing flights was "racist."
Agreed. Nothing to do with vaccine procurement.
How about admitting that saying masks were over-reacting and weren't needed?
Agreed. Nothing to do with vaccine procurement.
How about admitting that the governments, at many levels, have seriously misjudged, and then had to backtrack as they realize they fucked up.
Of course they did. I can only think of a few who didn't, Australia and New Zealand being chief among them. Same nations that fucked up vaccine procurement, so nobody is perfect, eh?
But, as I have said before, keep polishing the turd. I am sure in your mind it shines.
Magic.

Of course they did. I can only think of a few who didn't, Australia and New Zealand being chief among them. Same nations that fucked up vaccine procurement, so nobody is perfect, eh?
Yet, their countries don't need as much vaccine to keep them from Canada's current sit, because they have done all the other things right.

My contempt for government inadequacies is across the board, the vaccine fiasco in the making was the culmination of frustration. I am sure that even more shit-shows will manifest.

Magic.......no. More like Wizard of Oz.

Yet, their countries don't need as much vaccine to keep them from Canada's current sit, because they have done all the other things right.
Yet they messed up the vaccine procurement badly, proving that nobody has been perfect. If Canada had screwed up the way Australia and New Zealand did, you would be raging, don't lie.
My contempt for government inadequacies is across the board, the vaccine fiasco in the making was the culmination of frustration. I am sure that even more shit-shows will manifest.
You keep calling it that and keep failing to say who in the G20 did better than Canada outside of the USA and UK. Put up or sh...
Magic indeed. More like Wizard of Oz.
Its what you are expecting.

Canada needs to be near the USA and UK despite not having any homegrown production. How? Magic.

Back