• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]

I received the ASVAB practice book last week in the mail and so far its doing its job  ;D
theres so much that I had forgotten from school lol (should've paid more attention in math definetly),
so I can say with confidence that this book will help me get the mark I need for my CFAT.
Now I just gotta keep workin on the physical fitness end of things.

For those looking at doing the CFAT who have lost their way with math, I would recommend looking at www.math.com

It's a simple site that offers easy step-by-step instructions to get you back up on your basics. 

Just my 2 cents.

I have my high school diploma so it shouldnt be too hard to prepare for this crucial test right?
Wrong...
I've struggled with math ever since I can remember, my parents (God bless them) tried to help me by hiring tutors way back when I was a wee elementary student in grade 5. that didnt work, I am so bad at it that the tutors themselves would give up. Even after trying many different teaching methods. I have also been using the website math.com but to no avail.
Hell, my highest mark in this subject was a 58% and thats with good attendance. So what's my problem?
Why cant I retain the information? Why do I find it so difficult to understand the concepts?

Lazarus** said:
So what's my problem?
Why cant I retain the information?
Why do I find it so difficult to understand the concepts?

Questions not many army.ca usuers are trained to answer...

However, no need to stress, the math on the CFAT is really very basic, and especially if you're pretty recently out of high school, you shouldn't worry too much. Better than a 30-something trying to recall his high-school math. Good luck!

Yeah, as said, you're not required to do calculus on this test or anything, just bone up on your basic mathematics.

I'd be one of those 30+ (39 to be exact) individuals that needed to bone up on my highschool math.
I found a great book by Learning Express called 1001 Math Problems. Helped me qualify AEC  :salute:

I'm not sure if the CFAT changes depending on age/education level. When I took my CFAT, just when I finishe dmy grade 10, the questions on Aptitute test were just suitable for grade 10 education.

I read some posts before regarding to CFAT is based on grade 10 education, if that is true. I think you should just find your notes from highschool (wherever they may be) study some math, english and you'll be ready for the test.

If that is unavaliable, I would suggest you to visit a nearest highghschool and ask vice-princpal if you could burrow a gr.10 math text book then study through each unit. Could someone clearify that if CFAT is based on gr.10 education? I've been wondering.

The minimum requirement for joining the Forces is grade 10, so it would make sense for it to be based around this. Without going into any detail, it -seems- based on a grade 10 education, if not lower.

My best solution to prepare for it is to do some online IQ tests.

omgliam, lol I read that long ago too and i didn't find it too helful lol (I felt like some of the questions are from kindergardens). I think math and vocab you can study, the IQ?

(what is a circle in third dimention? [this is in example test on the official webpage] A sphere? very good.)- I find that quite funny if some person would go for pyramid or square.

I think IQ is based on your actual intelligence, so I think if someone has some kind of disability, the person should have 100% from that kind of question.

IQ tests touch on spatial awareness, vocab, and have rigid time limits. That's why they're useful for prep/practice.

Greenrubberduckie said:
omgliam, lol I read that long ago too and i didn't find it too helful lol (I felt like some of the questions are from kindergardens). I think math and vocab you can study, the IQ?

(what is a circle in third dimention? [this is in example test on the official webpage] A sphere? very good.)- I find that quite funny if some person would go for pyramid or square.

I think IQ is based on your actual intelligence, so I think if someone has some kind of disability, the person should have 100% from that kind of question.

Maybe you should go back to elementary school to learn spelling and proper sentence structure.  ::)

Hey all,

Just thought I'd chime in my two bits regarding the math portion.

Earlier this month I wrote the CFAT as a thirty-something out of high school for more years than I care to count.  I had about 6 weeks to prepare and found that I had lost just about all of my math skills. 

I too will attest to value of www.math.com  Go through the following sections and don't skimp on the practice questions and quizzes:
Basic Math, Everyday Math, Pre-Algebra, Geometry

If you are like me and at one point had a level of proficiency in math but have forgotten it over the years due to lack of use and calculators and computers then this will bring you back up to speed.  If you have never been able to use math to solve problems then you may need more than just this refresher but if you were ever proficient at grade 9-10 math then this should be sufficient.

I also found sample IQ tests to be helpful including the 3 large ones at http://www.military.com/ASVAB

Practice....practice....practice  - time is of the essence during these tests (it cheated me out of 5 questions on one section!) so the faster you can manually solve an equation the better off you are.

Incidentally, the six weeks I had were more than adequate to prepare me (mathematically) to score well enough to qualify for any NCM position.
I don't think I've given anything away that isn't common knowledge but perhaps by restating it this way there might be someone who 'gets it' that was previously struggling.

Prepare as much as you can then, get a good night's sleep, have a light breakfast, and enjoy the experience!

26 pages here:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/23193.0.html

Too lazy to read?

Hints:

1.  Study math involving fractions and long division.
2.  Read the word power in Reader's Digest.
3.  Play computer games.
4.  Get a good night's sleep and eat a healthy breakfast.
5.  On your way to the recruiting office on test day buy a homeless person a cup of coffee.
6.  Pray to some higher being.

Good Luck.

I propose that the next time someone starts a CFAT thread they automatically get banned.

This may be a stupid ass question (And I apologize in advance) I searched and found nothing...

What are the passing scores for the CFAT?

As far as I know, you never actually see your scores. Certain trades require certain scores on the CFAT in the various areas, so it's a bit of a misnomer to say "passing grade."

Depends on what you're going into the Forces for is the short answer.

Correct, knowing your "score" is not useful unto its own. Each specific trade in the forces has a requirement, and you must attain that score in order to be considered for that trade. They do not tell you what you got numerically, but they do tell you if you did well enough to qualify for certain trades. I am terrible at math, and yet managed to do quite well on the whole thing, and it got me my requirement for one of the 'tough' careers (Aerospace Control Officer) even though I ended up having to choose a new trade due to other reasons. My advice, brush up on those fractions, and make sure you can do all kinds of things with them (Add, subtract, multiply, and divide.)

I was wondering about the exact scores on the aptitude test to pass. Since it's trade based I know some will be higher then others. But is there a limit to passing like 50%? Or is it possible to score like 30% on your problem solving for certain trades where as some would need say 90%. I'm just curious how this works. I believe the problem solving is out of 30 so how many questions would I need to get correct for all trades to be open?

Use the search feature --"CFAT" will turn up tons of results. Quick answer- Different trades have different required scores, but you will not know what those scores are or what your score is.

Cheers,
Benny

having done the CFAT myself with about 60-70 trade choices (not sure if it's all of them), this is exactly what happens. there is no such thing as a fail, but if you don't do as well your trade choices will be limited, for trades like infantry or general military trades, you dont have to do as well as a trade like weapons tech. So unless your going into a highly technical trade don't sweat it that much. They will circle you first choice on you list of "applicable MOCs". If you do not get your first choice, if not they'll circle your second choice, and then your third if you dont get your second. Also keep in mind that you may take the CFAT more than once, so if you really want your first choice and odn't get it , it is possible to request another test (although i dont think this can be done on the same day and if you live far away from the recruiting center this could be a issue).

good luck!

disclaimer: I'm not disrespecting the infantry trade and knows it's a very rewarding and challenging career regardless of qualifications needed on the CFAT

lots of stories on this site about people who did not qualify for infantry and were offered other trades so do be so quick to assume that you know how the CFAT works and dont be so quick to assume that infantry is at the bottom of the score requirement.

Back