• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's tanks

The hulls themselves on the remaining A4s are tired as hell. They need wholesale replacement, not further upgrades. I'm sure the Leo 2 hulls could still find great use as AEVs, ARVs, bridge layers, etc but we need new MBTs something fierce (and at that point you may as well get all the aforementioned tank supporters in the same configuration for logistical simplicity).

If I'm waving my wand we pick up 250-300 top notch M1s with a full complement of new supporters and select reserve units get what's left of the Leopard 2s until the attrite themselves to nothing. Half for training, half for parts. Reservists ran tanks in the past, they can do it now with the right support.

The hulls themselves on the remaining A4s are tired as hell. They need wholesale replacement, not further upgrades. I'm sure the Leo 2 hulls could still find great use as AEVs, ARVs, bridge layers, etc but we need new MBTs something fierce (and at that point you may as well get all the aforementioned tank supporters in the same configuration for logistical simplicity).

If I'm waving my wand we pick up 250-300 top notch M1s with a full complement of new supporters and select reserve units get what's left of the Leopard 2s until the attrite themselves to nothing. Half for training, half for parts. Reservists ran tanks in the past, they can do it now with the right support.
Careful son that's damn close to Heresy on both subjects. New tanks and letting the Reserves operate real tanks.

Given the Leo2's and all the rest of the family of them you have left to Ukraine - grab 500 of the retired USMC M1A1FEP's, and you have enough for Reg and Res needs, get another 100 plain M1A1 for conversion into AEV, AVLB, ARV and ABV's.

Given the Leo2's and all the rest of the family of them you have left to Ukraine - grab 500 of the retired USMC M1A1FEP's, and you have enough for Reg and Res needs, get another 100 plain M1A1 for conversion into AEV, AVLB, ARV and ABV's.
At roughly 6 million USD per tank, I can't see us spending around 5 billion on new tanks in this day and age. Man I'd love that though haha. Maybe Uncle Sam wants to give any a bunch of M1A2 SEP V3 to clear some room off the yards haha.

At roughly 6 million USD per tank, I can't see us spending around 5 billion on new tanks in this day and age. Man I'd love that though haha. Maybe Uncle Sam wants to give any a bunch of M1A2 SEP V3 to clear some room off the yards haha.
I doubt the SepV3's would go, but we are basically giving M1A1's away for FMA.
Given that the DU needs to be removed from them for nearly all export countries - Canada is one of the 3 countries that could get them without the DU removed, thus it would be cheaper to actually give them all to Canada, than to sell them to most countries or even donate them thru FMA.

However the security requirements would basically force them to reside on Reg Force bases.

I doubt the SepV3's would go, but we are basically giving M1A1's away for FMA.
Given that the DU needs to be removed from them for nearly all export countries - Canada is one of the 3 countries that could get them without the DU removed, thus it would be cheaper to actually give them all to Canada, than to sell them to most countries or even donate them thru FMA.

However the security requirements would basically force them to reside on Reg Force bases.
That's fine. They should be kept on Reg bases anyways to minimize transport costs to the field. Onesies and twosies can be flatbedded and kept under guard as need be for training or COMREL.

Tired or not it would be a lot easier, and cheaper to strip those hulls down, rebuild them, and put a KF51turret on the entire fleet. We can wistfully hope for 8+ billion for M1s or any other tank but realistically we don't have the budget to buy a new tank fleet anytime soon. So I say we sell this as an upgrade, wait another 5 years then do an "upgrade" on the hulls and bam shell game fir new tanks.

Tired or not it would be a lot easier, and cheaper to strip those hulls down, rebuild them, and put a KF51turret on the entire fleet. We can wistfully hope for 8+ billion for M1s or any other tank but realistically we don't have the budget to buy a new tank fleet anytime soon. So I say we sell this as an upgrade, wait another 5 years then do an "upgrade" on the hulls and bam shell game fir new tanks.
Well the budget is just politics and that can change. Where did the budget for the AEW birds come from or the 23 "extra" F35's or the 8 MRTT's?
I think the suggestion is that the US may help us out a bit with our tank situation especially with regards to Ukraine. It has been rumoured that they have made that offer to us multiple times in the past
But I think its best to be somewhat reasonable about the numbers with the average from UK/FR/GER/IT/SP being only 200 active tanks and all from larger or equivalent economies and larger populations and closer to the threat

Australia got 160 hulls for $1.7B US
75 M1A2sepv3
29 M1150 Assault Breacher Vehicles
18 M1074 Joint Assault Bridges
6 M88A2 hercules recovery vehicles

I think Poland paid $1.4B US for the tanks but the whole package was $3.75B?
116 M1A1 FEP
12 M88A2
8 M1074
plus another 250 M1A2sepv3 for a total of $6B?

Taiwan spent $2.2B US
108 M1A2
14 M88A2
16 Oshkosh trucks

Back