• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boot, General Purpose (Mk III acting/interim replacement)

Vern

Is is possible for Clothing to authorize me to wear my Tan Converse until such time as my Black ones arrive?

HitorMiss said:
Vern

Is is possible for Clothing to authorize me to wear my Tan Converse until such time as my Black ones arrive?

There is direction out that tan boots are not authorized for wear in Canada and shall be worn on Ops only.

That being said ... speak to your boss, you're a special circumstance I would think. It would be your CoC that authorized this.

Vern

HitorMiss said:
I cannot see why the CF did not just continue with the MKIII's ... instead of this MKIV boot.
Well, the GP boot is not the new combat boot.  It is an interim because we cannot get the old Mk III anymore (nobody makes the sole) and it will stay in the system as the first boot issued to new soldiers.  The GP is cheap so it seems this will be given to new soldiers until they show they can make it through trg.  Combat boots will be issued on first posting to a unit.

DLR knows the GP is not good for soldiers, but it is all that is in the system. 

MCG said:
Well, the GP boot is not the new combat boot.  It is an interim because we cannot get the old Mk III anymore (nobody makes the sole) and it will stay in the system as the first boot issued to new soldiers.  The GP is cheap so it seems this will be given to new soldiers until they show they can make it through trg.  Combat boots will be issued on first posting to a unit.

McG it's the ONLY boot being issued to any soldiers now, not just new soldiers.

HitorMiss said:

Unless, of course, there is still some MKIIIs in your size on the shelf; we have to issue those out first ... until they're gone.  :-\

But, the MkIVs GPs were supposed to be an interim measure taken when the tool dies for making the MkIIIs broke down until new dies could be made. But, it seems that with the directives stating that the MkIIIs were to leave the shelves first, and when the particular size was depelted, then the MkIVs could be issued ... that they are not interim anymore.

Besides, the MkIVs have vibram soles ... that's what everybody wanted isn't it?? (Being sarcastic here ...)  ;D

I just want all my boots to fit properly... and none of them does!  >:(. I went to ASU Chilliwack to get sized properly for WWB, that didn't work... still too big!  :rage:. The only boots that seem to fit me great straight off the shelf are Magnums and Danners... *sigh* this sucks.

ArmyVern said:
when the particular size was depelted, then the MkIVs could be issued

Do the boots have fur on them?  ;)

Sorry, Vern, couldn't resist!! ::)

PMedMoe said:
Do the boots have fur on them?  ;)

Sorry, Vern, couldn't resist!! ::)

We have to give them all a good wax job prior to wear ...  ;)  >:D

HitorMiss said:
They are the only boots now because the true next combat boot is not yet in the system.  The GPs are still interim but (sadly) there is still no end in sight to that interim period.

Like the "interim" 5/4 ton truck?  Or like the "interim"  ILTIS?  ;D

PMedMoe said:
And that's a whole other thread..... ;D

yep, that one :), that D2 resurrect yesterday with his own experience with a clipper :) :

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/63218.0.html

I like to resurrect some worthy threads from time to time  :D .

MCG said:

DLR knows the GP is not good for soldiers, but it is all that is in the system. 

So are you saying that they'd issue Mk IIIs upon posting?  Seems kinda like one step forward and two steps backward.  Apart from the heel counter lining which seems to chew some people's ankles up, what are the other major shortcomings of the Boot, Combat, General Purpose/MK IV?  It seems that they've addressed the issue of cushioning with the Vibram/EVA midsole (newer production runs of the boot don't have Vibram outsoles, but still retain the EVA midsole which provides the cushioning factor), speed lacing system, and a last that seems built around the WWB style, which in turn was built around the popular Danner/Matterhorn type last.

Matt_Fisher said:
So are you saying that they'd issue Mk IIIs upon posting?
No.  The next cbt boot does not yet exist.  Therefore, the GP is also the interim combat boot for everyone until the next generation is in the system.

A lot of people have referred to the GP as Mk IV Cbt Boot, but this is not quite the case.  The GP is a cheap first boot and (for now) an interim combat boot.

Official nomenclature for the 'MKIV' (the unofficial name) is Boot, Combat, General Purpose.  I don't know the NSN offhand though, but that's what the item was tendered on MERX as a few months ago.

If you're referring to the 'next' combat boot as the Cadpat boot, I don't know where that program is at in terms of development and procurement.

Boot, Combat GP = Boot, Combat, General Purpose.

MkIV -- The MkIVs will be the next dedicated combat boot, not a GP boot. They are still in development.

So, the GP cbt boot does not, is not = to the MkIV.

That's the point MCG is trying to make. They are two entirely different animals, people think they are the same thing and are using the terms interchangeably & incorrectly.

What I don't understand is why a reg force infanteer is having trouble getting proper boots that suit his feet, when I see reservists (that work in offices nonetheless) wearing a wide array of boots that are far from standard issue...

BTW, thanks for clearing up the GP boot issue, most people are still referring to them as MkIV's...

popnfresh said:
What I don't understand is why a reg force infanteer is having trouble getting proper boots that suit his feet, when I see reservists (that work in offices nonetheless) wearing a wide array of boots that are far from standard issue...

Search this forum using "boots" and you'll see the myriad of reasons for it. They all suck, each and every one of them. If the troops working in the offices are wearing civy footwear ... they've got a med chit that says they can; other than that, I can't explain it.

The wide aray of boots that you have mentioned above is another reason why the RegF bases try to stick to a single SOS; it cuts down on seeing hundreds of different pairs floating around.

That said ... we NEED an annual boot allowance.

BTW, thanks for clearing up the GP boot issue, most people are still referring to them as MkIV's...

Pas de problemo.

ArmyVern said:
That said ... we NEED an annual boot allowance.

[Rant Begins]
I couldn't say it better my self Vern. Hell I would dish my own money out without a second thought for good boots. The yanks are aloud to do just that , as long as they are military in look they are aloud to wear what ever footwear they choose. I worked with a bunch of of them a few years ago and almost everone of them had a different set of boots on.

We are all different thus certain items issued to the general soldier will not work for everone. I as a example have a high arch and a narrow foot, add in orthotics and man good luck getting a boot that works for me. I have found three Original Swat , Bates M-9 and Danner Acadia all not approved boots by the CF.

Like I said in a past post , I had around I think $2000 dollars in boots bought for me because no one would listen to me. I would tell them hey these boots work for my foot type, I was told those are not approved but have you tried the wet weather boot etc etc etc. I felt like slamming my head on the counter, but I guess the sup tech knew what was better for my feet.

Oh well have my boots now only took 3 years. I just hope the CF comes out with a good boot, I remember when the danners where going threw trials everyone loved them and we ended up with the wet weather boot that everyone hates. So I don't hold my breath when it comes to new GP boot just another quick fix that will end up messing up more feet.........

[Rant Ends]

Back