• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aug 2008 BMQ - ALL LOCATIONS

thank you for your answers,

be assured that those questions are asked by me because they came from me...
I don't think that my boyfriend would let me talk for him on this forum!!!
that would not make him a leader!!!!

No actually I am the anxious, impatient girlfriend who will have to make her life happen around the career choice of the boyfriend.... and waiting for that phone call is very hard.
I am just trying to have an idea of the resume of the other candidates because my boyfriend did not do anything in the past that would prove to the selection board that he is a leader.

And frankly after the interview he was told he was average!!! I don't know if they always say that but now that we are waiting for that job offer I am thinking a lot, and on this forum I can have access to info, knowledge, to people who just got their phone call... that would be a good indication of who he is up against....
anyway I know I should just be patient, but I feel that reading all of you makes it go faster, so if you would like to share your waiting story and talk to me about your resume you are welcome.

(and from what I read especially today it seems like there are a lot of candidates for officer training this summer, I am worried!!!)

thank you

I wouldn't worry so much although easier said than done, you are not alone believe me. The next selection board will be on April 22nd so you should know by the end of the month. With that said, there are going to be other boards this year, I think the one after the 22nd is May 20th, I could be wrong on the exact date. If your boyfriend wants to become an Infantry Officer he will be competing for the Infantry positions not for the BMOQ spot. This means the less Infantry applicants there are the better his chances, also the less competitive they are, the better his chances once again. Not everyone on this thread is an Infantry Officer. Try to relax.

Best of luck to your boyfriend

Well, I got bumped off the May BMOQ and the April BMOQ. I was told that the April BMOQ had 12 spots and had to be filled for "distressed" applicants who had an immediate need (gave up their lease already, now homeless). Now I am scheduled to report to Edmonton Garrison for OJT on May 5th and will attend the August BMOQ. Anyone else going to Edmonton Garrison for OJT? It would be nice to carpool w/ someone!

Surname: Lau
Trade: Armoured Officer (DEO)

The_Girlfriend:

We don't get the phone call two weeks before BMOQ.  Rather, we get "enrolled" in a special ceremony about two weeks before we head out. 

Once the board says yay or nay on your b/f being selected, the CFRC will call with an official offer.  Then, about a week later a letter will come from the CFRC confirming this.  It will probably include the date he is instructed to report for the enrollment ceremony.  Some unofficial joining orders will arrive as well, including info about BMOQ in St-Jean.

BTW I noticed that you sometimes refer to the basic training as BMQ -- this is a mistake.  BMQ is not for officer candidates -- it is for NCMs; the term you should be using is BMOQ which encompasses IAP and BOTC.

One step at a time.  I can assure you that once the CFRC knows the results of your b/f being merited they will fill you in.  If he does not get accepted, he should ask the RC what he can do over the next year to make himself more competitive.  I am surprised that the RC said he was only "average."

Keep in mind that the CF's year end is March 31.  So, starting April 01 (or thereabouts) the new officer requirements were/will be established.  My guess is that combat officers are always in demand.  However, I did notice that Inf O is not flagged as "Hot" anymore on the official CF recruiting site.  That means that the shortfall that existed in the last fiscal has been met.  BUT, that does not mean that the CF is not in need of anymore Inf O.  It could mean that that trade has become more competitive.

Your patience is the only thing that will help you in this process.  As they say, "Hurry up and get patient!".

thank you very much for the precisions... I have lot of things to learn... more than I can imagine at this point... :)
I guess the thing that makes the more sense is to relaxe you are right...
I think I will have to remind myself very often in this journey... little stressed ball I am!!!

thanks to all of you for your support

Jadeen said:
The_Girlfriend:

We don't get the phone call two weeks before BMOQ.  Rather, we get "enrolled" in a special ceremony about two weeks before we head out. 

Once the board says yay or nay on your b/f being selected, the CFRC will call with an official offer.  Then, about a week later a letter will come from the CFRC confirming this.  It will probably include the date he is instructed to report for the enrollment ceremony.  Some unofficial joining orders will arrive as well, including info about BMOQ in St-Jean.

BTW I noticed that you sometimes refer to the basic training as BMQ -- this is a mistake.  BMQ is not for officer candidates -- it is for NCMs; the term you should be using is BMOQ which encompasses IAP and BOTC.

One step at a time.  I can assure you that once the CFRC knows the results of your b/f being merited they will fill you in.  If he does not get accepted, he should ask the RC what he can do over the next year to make himself more competitive.  I am surprised that the RC said he was only "average."

Keep in mind that the CF's year end is March 31.  So, starting April 01 (or thereabouts) the new officer requirements were/will be established.  My guess is that combat officers are always in demand.  However, I did notice that Inf O is not flagged as "Hot" anymore on the official CF recruiting site.  That means that the shortfall that existed in the last fiscal has been met.  BUT, that does not mean that the CF is not in need of anymore Inf O.  It could mean that that trade has become more competitive.

Your patience is the only thing that will help you in this process.  As they say, "Hurry up and get patient!".

Normally during the interview you'll get suitable or unsuitable, average however doesn't mean barely there, it means average. There are many people who score below average yet are found suitable for enrollment.

How do you know when are the selection boards,
is this public available information or inside information?

So if I understand well, we cannot possibly get an answer before April 22nd, (he did his interview a week ago)

let me know what you think
thanks

This information is not available online, it is only available to people undergoing the recruiting process. Your boyfriend will not know before April 22nd because the next board SITS ON April 22nd, to be conservation I'd say you'll find out in the first week of May. Just be patient let your boyfriend know that he should phone the Recruiting Centre regularly to get updates on his file.

Best of luck

Looks like I'll be on the August BMOQ. I was almost on the April 25 course, but didn't make it.

Surname: Hewlett

Ladies and Gents,

I am loaded on a BMOQ and CAP this summer. As far as I know, there is no pre course assignment for the CAP course. However, I was told that there was either a pre read assignment or activity assignment due for the BMOQ course. My question is: I this just heresay or is there any Truth to what I heard?

If true, where can I get the package. I have one month remaining before I go on the course and I don't want to show up like an idiot whom didn't prepare his homework.  Please inform me on this matter.

One other thing, the BMOQ course got longer than last year. What more is covered? I appreciate any help on this matter.

Cheers,

CSS

The only thing I can think of is the autobiography.  If that is the case, requirements can be found in the CFLRS Joining Instructions.  Link:

http://www.cflrs.forces.gc.ca/site/soyez_prets/qmb/joining_QMB_PEI_PEEO.pdf

If it's not that, then I have no idea.

As for the content of IAP/BOTP (combined = BMOQ) search for...well IAP..BOTP..or BMOQ on here.  ;D

Eye IN The Sky :  Thank you for your info and input.

I should qualify the question more. I'm on the "reserve track" for now.

In case you may not be aware, the BMOQ is and extension of the BMQ as there aren't enough officers to have a separate 6 week course in the reserves. Instead, we had 4 week BMQ followed by the original BOTP "small party task" course that went on for 7 days. That was it until the CAP course. This year, a small change: The course as I understand it is now 2 weeks long and is called BMOQ and is tagged on to the BM as a follow up. I have done the BMQ part and now an awaiting for the 2 week BMOQ and then the CAP course.

The problem is that I had been given contradicting info in regards to preparation for BMOQ. Eye In The Sky has confirmed one thing, I had been getting from others, but other personnel had been telling me another thing such as pre course preparation assignments. If others know something different, than I would be grateful to find out now.

Other than that, the last course I went on, I got my joining instructions a few hours before departure to course. That won`t be enough time to prepare if there is some assignment. (My office always does their best underconditions given to them. I.E. short staffed and much work to do for many soldiers.)

Once again to Eye In The Sky:    Cheers.

CSS

I was just notified today that I'll be doing DCE001W, DCE002W, and HIE208W this summer, while I wait for the August BMOQ.  I had asked to do three OPME's, and it all looks like interesting material.  Anyone else doing OPME's, feel free to message me for discussion once they get started.

rytel said:
I was just notified today that I'll be doing DCE001W, DCE002W, and HIE208W this summer, while I wait for the August BMOQ.  I had asked to do three OPME's, and it all looks like interesting material.  Anyone else doing OPME's, feel free to message me for discussion once they get started.

I'd check into and confirm that.  RMC policy is only 2 OPMEs per session.  However, the DCEs are light courses so its doable.

Eye In The Sky said:
I'd check into and confirm that.  RMC policy is only 2 OPMEs per session.  However, the DCEs are light courses so its doable.

I received the registration confirmation emails, so it looks like all is in order.  My only duties from May to August are doing these OPME's and exercising, so I should be able to manage my time well enough.

rytel said:
I received the registration confirmation emails, so it looks like all is in order.  My only duties from May to August are doing these OPME's and exercising, so I should be able to manage my time well enough.

Run with it then!  Better to get 'em done.  In all honesty, if that is all you are doing, you could probably do more than 3 in 4 months.  Sounds like you're in for a rough summer (not).  ;D

I'm in the same situation, OPME and PT. I have received the confirmation emails for the three OPME courses; DCE001W, DCE002W, and HIE208W. I was talking with my CO on what else I may be involved in as it seems like doing these three courses seems fairly lightweight and it was discussed that I may also so some job shadowing with an Engineer on base here in St. John's as my trade will be CELE. I'm looking forward to this new experience.

chrishe said:
I'm in the same situation, OPME and PT. I have received the confirmation emails for the three OPME courses; DCE001W, DCE002W, and HIE208W. I was talking with my CO on what else I may be involved in as it seems like doing these three courses seems fairly lightweight and it was discussed that I may also so some job shadowing with an Engineer on base here in St. John's as my trade will be CELE. I'm looking forward to this new experience.

001 and 002 are lightweight. I did both while deployed and had no problems. 208 is a bit more involved IIRC so all i all i dont consider taking these 3 at once "lightweight", but thats just me.

CDN Aviator said:
001 and 002 are lightweight. I did both while deployed and had no problems. 208 is a bit more involved IIRC so all i all i dont consider taking these 3 at once "lightweight", but thats just me.

Good to know.  How did you feel about the material covered in 001 and 002? Useful/interesting/helped you do your job better?  Was it info you wish you had learned right from the get go?

rytel said:
Good to know.  How did you feel about the material covered in 001 and 002? Useful/interesting/helped you do your job better?  Was it info you wish you had learned right from the get go?

I already had over a decade of service in the CF before i did 002. I didnt learn much from it. I was given credit for 001 because i did some of the old OPDP but i have seen the material and i wouldnt have gained much from it.

206 i enjoyed
208 Is a fair bit of work but interesting ( i never finnished it as it was later credited)
408 Sucked. Too much work for the ammount of time i had but it has its merits.
475 i never did as i was granted credit for it as part of PLAR

Now i have my OPME certificate ( ceremoniously sent in the mail ) and i dont have to ever worry about it.

Back