• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Attitudes towards the Liberals

To me I see the CBC bias in the velvet glove way they have treated the many fumbles of our current government and PM.

Their reporting seems to lack the same voracity or aggression that they had in Harper's final months in office. It's almost like they are only reporting on things because they have to and everyone else is, but just going through the motions and doing enough to try and keep up the facade of impartial reporting.

And if Harper had committed the number and severity of fumbles JT and crew have the CBC would be calling for blood.

Harper was absolutely lambasted, enough to make me vote JT and LPC. I also bought into the electoral reform lie I was told.

Anyways just the way I interpret things, as I see them.

We can't know what is commercially viable as long as potential entrants have to compete against a publicly funded (subsidized) competitor.
In fairness all radio may not be commercially viable in not to distant future. New cars have started dropping AM and I would suspect FM radios are not long for the world.

Hey as a not big fan of mandated French and government in business. If the cost to nuke the CBC is keeping Radio Canada, Etc. I am in favour!

We can't know what is commercially viable as long as potential entrants have to compete against a publicly funded (subsidized) competitor.
Sometimes with things like essential services you can't be 100% dogmatic and decisions (judgement calls) on viability have to be made. Clearly there are viable national English TV networks and there have been industry calls for the GOC to defund CBC TV.

I haven't heard any similar industry calls to defund CBC Radio by private radio broadcasters so that suggests that they don't feel that role is viable for them at this time. However I'm sure there is no need for anything beyond a single English service, a French service and an International service. Demand can drive provision of specialty/niche programming beyond basic news, weather and current affairs.

To me I see the CBC bias in the velvet glove way they have treated the many fumbles of our current government and PM.

Their reporting seems to lack the same voracity or aggression that they had in Harper's final months in office. It's almost like they are only reporting on things because they have to and everyone else is, but just going through the motions and doing to try and keep up the facade of impartial reporting.

Harper was absolutely lambasted, enough to make me vote JT and LPC. I also bought into the electoral reform lie I was told.

Anyways just the way I interpret things, as I see them.
If you have any doubt about bias, listen to an episode of The House on CBC radio when a Liberal cabinet minister is the guest. Then, go find an episode before 2015 when a CPC cabinet minister was the guest. The whole tone of the line of questioning is different. The Liberals get soft ball questions with no follow up: The CPC ministers got aggressively grilled.

In fairness all radio may not be commercially viable in not to distant future. New cars have started dropping AM and I would suspect FM radios are not long for the world.

Hey as a not big fan of mandated French and government in business. If the cost to nuke the CBC is keeping Radio Canada, Etc. I am in favour!
It's not just about commercial viability when it comes to radio. When your fiber optic cables are cut, cell towers are down and power is out radio broadcast signals over the open airwaves are the only way to communicate to the nation.

It's not just about commercial viability when it comes to radio. When your fiber optic cables are cut, cell towers are down and power is out radio broadcast signals over the open airwaves are the only way to communicate to the nation.
Yes 100% so I agree a government radio station is OK.

But the rest of the CBC can go

If you have any doubt about bias, listen to an episode of The House on CBC radio when a Liberal cabinet minister is the guest. Then, go find an episode before 2015 when a CPC cabinet minister was the guest. The whole tone of the line of questioning is different. The Liberals get soft ball questions with no follow up: The CPC ministers got aggressively grilled.

I don't listen to or watch the CBC anymore. I used to love Power and Politics but Rosemary Barton turned me off and I find News 95.7 in Halifax is more balanced and I appreciate the local emphasis.

But I appreciate you providing amplification for me. I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the change in tone.

Last edited:
Thread jacking.....Is radio for civil defence/emergency a bit like Loran-C? It will be viable for years to come as there are millions of receivers but over time they will decrease. And its not like future generations will be able to make a crystal set themselves. (They are still working on which gender they are. ;) )

Since it's apparently so difficult, the prudent thing to do is just go ahead and defund those activities. Some people will squeal; if those people are mostly observably left-aligned, the wisdom of the decision is confirmed. I do expect almost no appearance of bias. And, it's probably easier to measure than we think. Often enough the people writing copy just can't help themselves, and insert their contentious priors - a lot of question-begging, and a lot of descriptive modifiers than slant one way and can be measured as favourable/unfavourable. (People can and do measure these things.)

Maybe if they could write copy without contentious adverbs/adjectives, and with no assumption of facts not in evidence or conclusions not supported by premises contained in the article, the funding could continue.
Bingo.
Cut them all off and let them survive in the marketplace, equally. Sink or swim. Their bias, or lack thereof, will resonate with their audience or not. If the majority prefer raw fact without biased explanation, they will flock to whoever gives it to them. Those stations will survive. The others won't.

CBC, in it's infancy, was a requirement for Canada, in order to reach the far flung corners of Confederation. Because they served the nation, top to bottom and side to side, they deserved some recompence for the equipment required to do that. With the internet and technical advances now in use, they have no requirement that is not also served by hundreds of other outlets.

It is impossible to have healthy, unbiased competition when the government is throwing money at you. I have seen the decline in broadcasters like CTV and Global trying to straddle that line, but they can't. CTV now drips with bias almost as much as CBC. They weren't always like that, then trudeau came along and bribed them.

Bingo.
Cut them all off and let them survive in the marketplace, equally. Sink or swim. Their bias, or lack thereof, will resonate with their audience or not. If the majority prefer raw fact without biased explanation, they will flock to whoever gives it to them. Those stations will survive. The others won't.

CBC, in it's infancy, was a requirement for Canada, in order to reach the far flung corners of Confederation. Because they served the nation, top to bottom and side to side, they deserved some recompence for the equipment required to do that. With the internet and technical advances now in use, they have no requirement that is not also served by hundreds of other outlets.

It is impossible to have healthy, unbiased competition when the government is throwing money at you. I have seen the decline in broadcasters like CTV and Global trying to straddle that line, but they can't. CTV now drips with bias almost as much as CBC. They weren't always like that, then trudeau came along and bribed them.

I agree, cut them off the government teat and let them live or die on their own quality.

How many people who don't regularly listen to radio have one in the house?

How many people who don't regularly listen to radio have one in the house?

FWIW...

LILLEY: Canadians are ditching CBC, so why do we keep funding it?​

Every single time I critique CBC, I’m told that we need to have the state broadcaster, that Canadians rely upon it.

Whether we are talking audience share or advertising revenue, CBC is a broadcaster in decline.

Did you know that across Canada, over a total of 27 stations coast to coast, the average audience for CBC’s supper hour newscast was 329,000 people? That’s not 329,000 people per market, that is across the country.

Compare that to just one of CTV’s local supper hour newscasts, CFTO in Toronto, which averaged 1.4 million viewers per night in the first week of 2020. That doesn’t include other major markets like Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary or Ottawa where CTV outstrips CBC. It doesn’t include Global News, which is dominant in Western Canada and like CTV doesn’t take a $1.5 billion per year subsidy from the taxpayers.

These CBC ratings aren’t numbers that I’ve made up, they were contained in CBC’s most recent annual report and highlighted by Ottawa-based media outlet Blacklock’s Reporter.

Other nuggets in that annual report include that CBC’s prime-time audience share in television was 5%, down from 7.6% in 2017-18. We also learned that CBC News Network’s total audience share is 1.4% of all TV viewers.

These slumping ratings mean slumping ad sales, the report says advertising revenue is down 21% overall — the decline in English Canada was actually much bigger, a 37% drop. If it were not for CBC’s French language division having a pretty good year, things would have been much worse.

Ad revenues dropped from $318.2 million in 2018 to $248.7 million in 2019 and things are not likely to get better. Well, except for the increase in government revenue.

Buttresses what I suspect. Payphones died when mobile phone use became widespread enough that the revenues generated couldn't keep up with the costs of installation and maintenance (particularly vandalism). Copper-pair service to the home is vanishing, so the older good-to-have-when-the-power-goes-out phones are no longer any use. If radios are disappearing from cars and the only home radios are the ones attached to alarm clocks, then radios are effectively on their way out. If a service continues on behalf of a niche, then the niche should pay for all of it.

I wonder if they have first studied whether forcing people to monitor traffic news via cellphone is a good idea.
How is not doing that now? Ways and Google give you real time info on traffic. Not saying it could not be a problem with distracted driving but that's not going to save radio.

But good news the European Makers will let you use the radio if you pay for the monthly subscription fee, they will probably bundle it with your seat warmer and mood lighting package. Three services for a lower price! First month free!

Here's an idea. Those people that feel so strongly with keeping the CBC in it's current form, can fund them.

Let them hold fundraisers like PBS. Or the supporters can turn over their tax rebates to them through RevCan.

There is also ad revenue. If they are worth their salt, they can sell commercials. The sponsors will dictate whether they hit their audience or not.

With all the squealing, there should be enough money to keep them lean and mean, but still on the air.

Jen Gerson’s latest in The Line. Everyone is being dumb.

Jen Gerson: Everybody is being dumb​

If you want to fight, you have to know which battles are worth winning. Fight smart, not hard.​

JEN GERSONhttps://substack.com/profile/1651589-jen-gerson

Everybody is being dumb.

Yes, I realize that most of my columns could start this way, however in the case of the incident in question, I believe the sentence above can truly be applied universally.

This time, I'm talking about this spat between the CBC, Pierre Poilievre, and Twitter, in which this triptych of poor judgement, trollery and self-importance is lays itself out before us like a tableau of social media wankery.

In case you are clever enough to avoid online theatrics, let me explain: Twitter has been labelling the accounts of successive Western public media outlets like NPR and the BBC as "government funded media" — a moniker that feels a little like the "state-affiliated" tag affixed to organizations like RT. (Twitter initially labelled NPR as "state-affiliated," leading to the organization fleeing the site. The platform reversed course and now notes NPR is "government funded.")
The CBC was hit in this wave, and it is hardly alone in this shift: In recent days, similar labels have also been applied to the Australian Broadcasting Company (ABC Australia), New Zealand’s public broadcaster RNZ and Sweden’s SR Ekot and SVT.

Taking full advantage of this situation at home was Poilievre, who rather gleefully — and idiotically — used the label to declare that now "people know that it is Trudeau propaganda, not news.”

Meanwhile, the CBC noted that it was not fully government-funded, prompting Twitter's owner Elon Musk to respond with ... generosity? He changed the label to "69% government funded."

Rather than accept Twitter's label with a touch of grace and good humour, the CBC instead tried to argue semantics and found itself trapped waist-deep in the sewage-infested mire of the troll swamps. Its final response was to take its ball and go home: pulling its services from the platform, and serving up a dose of huffy umbrage as it tried to claw its way out of the muck.

Look, we at The Line have spent some months trying to warn our fellow journalists: as a professional class, we've all gotten so high on our internal supply of self importance that we've lost the ability to recognize obvious criticism and risks. The public does not like us very much. They don't trust us, either. That makes us obvious targets for public figures and politicians looking to score cheap points.

There isn't always an obvious response to this problem. Sometimes the solution is to fight, in court or in the public battlefield. That’s fine. But if you want to fight, you have to know which battles are worth winning. Fight smart, not hard.

Sometimes a conflict is exactly what our critics want, and by engaging in the battle, we actually demean ourselves and undermine our own credibility in the process. That is the purpose — nay, the very art — of the troll.

This is one of the latter examples.

Labelling the CBC "government-funded," as distinct from "government-controlled" or "state-affiliated," is entirely accurate. It just is. It’s literally true. This was therefore not a battle that the CBC could win on facts. And the sense of outrage it elicited tells us a lot about the public broadcaster's own collective insecurities.

Know what really doesn't play well on Twitter? (And I say this with some hard-won experience). Huffy umbrage laced with insecurity.

There was only one good way to respond to Musk's latest manic episode, and it goes something like this:

"The CBC is honoured to be government-funded media. We believe that in a free and open democracy, independent media, non-partisan and publicly funded organizations like ours play a crucial role in supplying important journalism in areas and topics that are underserved by private enterprise. It is an honour for us to serve Canadians in this way, and we thank them for the chance to continue telling their stories."
Yada yada, you get the point. That took me about 45 seconds to think up and then type out. What’s the CBC waiting for? Is it possible that CBC writers don’t say this because they don’t actually feel this? That they don’t treat their funding as a government allotment, but rather as an entitlement? And that they don’t see themselves as serving Canadians so much as dictating a cultural identity to them?

Now, I can hear the objections already: Twitter defines a "government-funded" label not just by the source or revenue, but also where the government "may have varying degrees of government involvement over editorial content."

No credible person believes that someone from the PMO is calling up CBC President Catherine Tait and demanding unflattering stories get pulled, but can we really claim that the Canadian state has no degree of involvement over editorial content by this definition?

The CBC’s broad editorial mandate is literally written into the Broadcasting Act. And while I find that mandate to be vague and largely unobjectionable, the act explicitly reads that CBC "is ultimately accountable, through the Minister, to Parliament for the conduct of its affairs."

Another example: A recent amendment made in the Senate to Bill C-11 would bar the CBC from publishing sponsored content, a move that CBC President Catherine Tait has publicly opposed.

Heck, last year the CRTC — an, ahem, government agency — granted the CBC a licensure renewal only on the grounds that in coming years, the English-language services must dedicate a third of its spending in independent programming to be "produced by Indigenous producers, [Official Language Minority Communities] producers, racialized producers, producers with disabilities, and producers who self-identify as LGBTQ2."

Does anyone still want to claim that the government exerts no editorial control, here? Really? For all its claims of independence, the government isn’t tossing the broadcaster $1.2 billion annually and telling them to just go at it.

Then there's the question of the CBC's impartiality.

How exactly are we to square that claim with the fact that this is the same broadcaster that sued the Conservative party in the last election? How does it sit with this too-soon forgotten interview with the aforementioned Tait, in which she weighed into partisan matters by declaring Poilievre's promise to defund the CBC a fundraising slogan.

From the same interview: “There’s a lot of CBC bashing going on — somewhat stoked by the Leader of the Opposition.”

Conservatives don't like the CBC. From their perspective, it amounts to a sense that far from being a cultural unifier — as per its government mandate — the network is a font of shows, worldviews, editorial focus and media personalities that feel like a simulacrum of a culture imposed upon the nation from the distant enclaves of the Annex.

Do we need to get into the litany of First-Person gems like "Using my new year's resolution to free my tree, and myself, from the bondage of colonization" or "On election day, I greeted people who voted for candidates who might hate people like me" to demonstrate this point?

Add to this, the CBC's weird habit of underplaying Liberal scandals, and it’s no mystery as to why so many conservative-identified Canadians don't see themselves or their views reflected in the public broadcaster that they pay for with their tax dollars. Tossing the odd right-ish pundit onto a panel doesn’t resolve the problem.

Conservatives almost uniformly believe that the CBC is biased, that the whole institution is a taxpayer-funded scheme to indoctrinate the country into a set of ideological values and to re-elect the Liberals. The accuracy of this perception is a matter for another column. (It's certainly less accurate than some Conservatives would like to believe, if for no other reason that the CBC isn't one singular ideological mass, but rather a vaguely dysfunctional, multi-headed hydra based in Toronto and constantly at war with itself in a never-ending quest for internal supremacy. But I digress.) It’s not hard to understand why so many Conservatives would cheer on Musk’s newfound love of the label maker.

The only very obvious problem with the "government-funded" Twitter label is that it is a disingenuous attempt to paint publicly funded broadcasters like the CBC as akin to Pravda or RT.

And, yeah, of course that's the goal! Elon Musk should not have the benefit of anyone's doubt. Jesus, he changed the CBC's Twitter label to "69% government funded" for a titter on a whim. These are not the actions of a man operating in his capacity as a world-spanning genius, to put it lightly. But the fact that Musk is acting dumb doesn't really absolve the CBC from rising above a juvenile bunfight with a man child.

And as for Mr. Poilievre, his response is perhaps the dumbest of them all.

I won't rule out that in calling the CBC mean names, he is actually reading the room rather well — or, at least, he's reading a room filled with pudgy men in chaps.

But Poilievre is being dumb, and wilfully so. The CBC has issues, but it isn't "propaganda" and he must know this. By calling it that, he's undermining his own credibility in a way that will undercut his ability to reform the broadcaster should he come to power.

The media is in crisis. The federal government has a powerful tool to address the collapse in revenue that is destroying private media outlets — a collapse that is leaving stories uncovered and communities unserved.

That tool is the CBC. But the only way the CBC is going to be able to fill the news gap in a responsible and functional way is through a very serious and thorough mandate review. It's a review that must come, and must tackle the tricky questions of what a public broadcaster's role ought to be in a modern, digital Canadian society.

Poilievre is entirely within his democratic rights to campaign on a platform of defunding the CBC — because, you know, the CBC is a government-funded creature of the Canadian state — but that's actually a bad answer to the problem that the CBC presents.

The Conservative leader is only going to gain the goodwill and buy-in necessary to overhaul the public broadcaster if he comes across as a reasonable and thoughtful policy minded leader — not some lunatic claiming that Trudeau is using the CBC to make the frogs gay, or something.

So what happens when a dumb political leader meets a dumb public broadcaster on a dumb social media platform?

Well, as far as I can tell, everyone winds up dumber.

Last edited:
Another paywall article.

Didn't someone post a link recently that takes you somewhere that allows you past the paywall? Maybe a repost of that please.

Back