• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army Reserve Restructuring

Patricias for the West, RCR's for Ontario, Vandoos pour Quebec, and find an old Maritime Regiment for the East Coasties.........Regs and Res battalions for each. Can still use former Regimental names for the sub - units as has been done in the UK. For future expansion of the army if we ever have time to expand it again .......... all this CO and RSM stuff is a waste of money, which can be spent far better on training and/or kit.
Who will do the succession planning, carrier course planning etc? The Vandoos in Valc? Somewhere and not a CT for a plt) you need someone to do taht. You need a proper unit setup.

Who will do the succession planning, carrier course planning etc? The Vandoos in Valc? Somewhere and not a CT for a plt) you need someone to do taht. You need a proper unit setup.
Yeah what’s he’s saying is that our went it’d be like 1-6 PPCLI or what ever.

Even if I did think it was a possibility, I’d probably have those tanks in the prairies and maybe Gagetown / Pet.
My choices would be Wainwright/Suffield and Shilo because they all have good open battle runs and safety traces. I would like Gagetown but its too crowded with school users. Petawawa I'd cross off. I spent four years there and the terrain is too limiting. Maybe if they cut down a few dozen square kilometres of forest.
And what can one do these days in Meaford? Not shoot 105mm or 25mm...
You're looking for a full-meal deal. I'm not.

I'm looking for a place that close to the customer - the reserve troops. No one lives near Wainwright. You need to travel several hours from Edmonton and they barely support a weak-assed infantry battalion and arty regiment. Petawawa has Ottawa - again two battalions and a small recce regiment across the river. Shilo same problem - some weak assed units in Regina and Winnipeg.

Southern Ontario and the Montreal region are where the mass of reservists are these days. One needs to adjust the training to suit the clientele. You can train 80% of what's needed on simulators and a restricted training area like Meaford. For the other 20% Fly a CC-330 from Toronto International to - wherever, but I prefer Latvia. I just think that taking half of our tanks to Latvia in a propositioned configuration of one full regiment would be the best possible way to train the armoured corps as a full regiment and entice young people to join up and have a cool summer.

We seem to violently agree on that.

I have 427 Abrams as the book answer for an Armored Div, and 87 Abrams, 152 M2 Bradley and 18 M109 for an ABCT.
so I erred on the side of extra Warstock (yes Canada it is still a thing)...
Yeah me too. I'm not sure why I economize on a napkin force that will never be built. Sometimes I compromise too much. :giggle: To be fair though, very few folks have armoured divisions like you folks.

It isn't just the Culture - the entire Concept of the CA needs to be reborn, given the efforts both Reg and Res have put in to scuttling any meaningful change - there needs to be a mass culling of both.
Amen.

What equipment and personnel?
Right now one can equip a Bde plus - and still be missing a number of required platforms. Honestly the CAF probably should just disband the PRes and 2/3 of the Regular Force Army...
We're getting back into baby and bathwater country here. I see considerably more equipment than you do. The issue, at least from where I sit on the outside, is VOR issues that need to be addressed in a very serious fashion. The last thing I'd disband is the least expensive component. It needs fixing. The first thing I'd disband (or more realistically massively trim) is the central bureaucracy. I tend to drone on about that but only because I think that DND shouldn't get one more nickel until it gets its own house in order.

Keep waiting for the Light Forces Working Group to come up with something in the 2+ Decades of effort...
That kind of says it all, doesn't it?

It's interesting that Jeffery created the last Army Transformation around 2000 and that so far no one has really built a transformation plan reaching out for the next decade or two except that F2025 thing. It's no wonder the Navy has three new classes of ships and the RCAF a herd of new aircraft and the army has Butkus except GBAD (needed because we scored an own goal in 2010-13) and a few UORs (They do have new pistols though - that's something I guess).

🍻

Going to a 30/70, 40/60 and 50/50 mixes for some units means that you never need a PRes LCol or RSM anyway - if one wants to Command a Bn, then join the Regular Force.

The problem with decentralizing the Armor is that they need to be near vases that can house them, and training areas to train with.
If you pull them in close to bases with Reg Force units using LAV's, TAPV (UGH), LEO2 etc then you at least get them the ability to train and work on the equipment.

The idea at this point that the PRes will be Canada's break in case of war force is a farce, as it has no equipment, and getting equipment is going to be harder than training soldiers -- furthermore the PRes cannot be used as viable expansion tool, as they have no experience on equipment that would be needed in a War.

No if the GoC was to flip on its head and buy 600 MBT's, 1200 IFV's, 600SPA etc then I would change my mind - but the likelihood of that occurring is slim to nil...
Why stop at grouping Reserve Armoured Regiments with their nearby Reg Force units? Any Reserve unit that is within a reasonable distance to a Reg Force base (i.e. workable for weekend exercises) should be integrated into those units to fill out their manning (70/30 or 90/10 units).

Edmonton would capture most of 41 CBG, Shilo - 38 CBG, Petawawa - 33 CBG, Valcartier - 35 CBG and Gagetown - some of 37 CBG and possibly some of 36 CBG.

The CBG's that are not geographically located near the Reg Force Army Bases just happen to be located around our major population centres where we can draw the most recruits from. Ideal for 30/70 or 10/90 units.

39 CBG = Vancouver, 31 CBG = SW Ontario/Niagara, 32 CBG = GTA, 34 CBG = Montreal and those units in 36/37 CBG that aren't near enough to Gagetown = Halifax.

Why stop at grouping Reserve Armoured Regiments with their nearby Reg Force units? Any Reserve unit that is within a reasonable distance to a Reg Force base (i.e. workable for weekend exercises) should be integrated into those units to fill out their manning (70/30 or 90/10 units).

I’m all for it. 1 RCHA had 26 Fd out for a weekend diring their fall exercise where they acted as the third firing battery for regimental shoots. Excellent integration.

Edmonton would capture most of 41 CBG, Shilo - 38 CBG, Petawawa - 33 CBG, Valcartier - 35 CBG and Gagetown - some of 37 CBG and possibly some of 36 CBG.

These reserve units become paired sub units to regular force units, to include crew replacement units (how these group would be a seperate discussion but possibly under the Div directly).

The CBG's that are not geographically located near the Reg Force Army Bases just happen to be located around our major population centres where we can draw the most recruits from. Ideal for 30/70 or 10/90 units.

39 CBG = Vancouver, 31 CBG = SW Ontario/Niagara, 32 CBG = GTA, 34 CBG = Montreal and those units in 36/37 CBG that aren't near enough to Gagetown = Halifax.

Each of those CBGs roughly equates to a Bn plus. Infanteers as dismounts, crewmen crewing TAPV. If you consider that, you can generate roughly two 10/90 Bdes as forces in waiting.

These reserve units become paired sub units to regular force units, to include crew replacement units (how these group would be a seperate discussion but possibly under the Div directly).
During the Germsny days then 14 svc battalions parent unit was 4 svc, we (or so I'm told) would be folded into them if war broke out. Given the understaffed nature of the force right now, we absolutely need more meaningful ARes integration. How about instead of a two week brigade exercise, I take all my maintainers into base maintenance Wainwright for two weeks to actually fix stuff.

Unless they went to battle as Irish Regiment, or British Columbia Rifles right? Those are okay to amalgamate.
There has never been a unit called the British Columbia Rifles. You're summarily dismissing the weight some people, including myself, put on what came before because its not your what came before. That's fine, I'm not going to argue that point any further because I've already conceded its not a point based in reason, and you're not listening anyways.

Firstly, who’s side are you on?

Secondly, we both know that’s not going to happen. We’re stuck with the TAPV and frankly infantry mobility is one of the few jobs it probably can do.
The side that gets rid of awful equipment while allowing us to support an ally in a time of need. TAPV is not a good vehicle, but the Ukrainians have demonstrated a keen ability to make do, and every sub-optimal vehicle that arrives frees up a better one to be used on the front lines. And then our allegedly NATO standard, first world army can get actual AFVs instead of pumped up MP patrol cars.

Also while your comment I'm assuming is in jest, I'd rather somebody else die crewing that vehicle than me and my friends and fellow Canadians.

Well now you’ve moved the goal posts. I fully understand that Yakima is more appealing to guys in BC, everyone wants to go somewhere different and it’s much larger than what you have available. It’s just not without massive complications.

Chief amoung them is who’s fixing these tanks I. Yakima. Experience tells us at least 2 will be in the shop at any given time. So are we posting people there? Who’s doing crew maintenance? Are guys coming down on the weekend to pound tracks?
Presumably the same guys that fix our trucks now, but properly supported with funding and spare parts hence my insistence whatever we bought needs to be American. It would take more money to make happen, but my crews show up to do maintenance on LUVWs and TAPVs one weekend every month, without fail. The only difference would be a couple hours drive down to the hanger first to make it happen. Same would go for actual repair level maintenance.

As I have acknowledged, it would take a significant investment and on-going expenditure to make something like this happen, but its easily doable. It would also easily fit within the 2% we're expected to spend on defence, which we never do. I also suggested a pooled fleet in Wainwright like they did with the Cougars. I'm not hung up on tanks in Yakima, I'm hung up on crappy equipment and the constant condescension and outright dismissal of the reserves by the Reg Force. There are ways to make things work without reinventing the wheel here, but attitudes on both sides of the reg/reserve fence need to change.

The complications apparently aren't that bad, given the BCR spent more time exercising at JBLM and Yakima last year than we did in Canada.

My point is this: no one is going to procure 200-300 tanks for Canada. Even if we did I’d doubt seriously they’d issue them to the reserves. We have what we have, and we’ll go to war with what we have. We need to organize what we have into something that can be credible, makes sense, and can be task oriented.

Could the BCRs force generate crew for tanks? Maybe. What they can actually do right now is help generate these formed reserve platoons / troops for deployments. Especially if they blend with the rest of the geographically located units around them.
Fine. Give us a task and a vehicle fit to purpose, properly supported with training, spares, funding, doctrine and the training area to support it and we'll do the job. In exchange, I'll give you my LCol and RSM, and even the drill hall. My example of tanks is an "I wish" dream supported by the transfer of all the tanks to the LdSH and a squadron being deployed to Latvia. The only reason the BCR or quite frankly any other reserve armour unit in 3 Div can't support that mission is a lack of money and a lack of will on the part of the Reg Force Army.

Waiting on multi billion dollar purchases to make a unit viable is like me waiting to get drafted to the NFL at 37. Sure I can dream, but it’s not buying me a house.

How have you not worn body armour in 12 years? It’s issued on every deployment.
Its not that I haven't worn it, its I haven't been personally issued a set. I've never been able to go overseas, for reasons I'm not going to get in to here.

The fact a first world army can't issue its soldiers basic PPE, reserve or not, is an embarrassment.

I know change is needed. But if the change becomes what you want, which is the Reg Force makes us shut everything down, amalgamate everything and then hand out bullshit jobs like driving the infantry around to be done with substandard equipment the whole bloody reserve is going to quit and then the Regs will be well and truly screwed.

I'm advocating for more money, real equipment, an actual worthwhile job and a place at the table with the Reg force. And if a few light colonels and RSMs lose their jobs to make that happen, so be it.

It's the time of year when Res units post images of their festive dinners. Perhaps if you can only bring out 42 people, all ranks, it may be time to rethink foundational questions, rather than fighting to retain a LCol, a CWO, and claims to be a worthwhile institutional investment.

That's generally the way that my 2 CLBG and 5 CMBG work. That doesn't provide for an expanded force just a rounded out one. To expand the force and to create those 30/70 units you have to actually sacrifice a RegF brigade or two and chop it up. That's what I did with 1 CMBG. The CBG headquarters and RSS aren't enough to properly expand the force. Even 2 CLBG and 5 CMBG needed to break up some battalions to create the 30/70s in 34 and 5 CMBG. It's a balancing act.

That's essentially how the Brits work in part. It doesn't matter if the reserves augment the RegF by individuals, platoons or companies. It's still just augmentation. It still doesn't expand the army. Every army should have a plan and a method for growing the force.

My preference is to set the force up to grow in competence so that it can grow in size and capability, in time, to something more akin to the US ARNG and USAR model. That requires a generation of working on building effective ARes companies and building competent majors and MWOs and companies so that they can eventually reduce the RegF component.

🍻

There has never been a unit called the British Columbia Rifles. You're summarily dismissing the weight some people, including myself, put on what came before because its not your what came before. That's fine, I'm not going to argue that point any further because I've already conceded its not a point based in reason, and you're not listening anyways.

You’re right, I got confused by the Duke of Connoight’s Own Rifles. We agree we disagree strongly on this point.

The side that gets rid of awful equipment while allowing us to support an ally in a time of need. TAPV is not a good vehicle, but the Ukrainians have demonstrated a keen ability to make do, and every sub-optimal vehicle that arrives frees up a better one to be used on the front lines. And then our allegedly NATO standard, first world army can get actual AFVs instead of pumped up MP patrol cars.

Also while your comment I'm assuming is in jest, I'd rather somebody else die crewing that vehicle than me and my friends and fellow Canadians.

The first part is a jest. The second part less so. The TAPV is armoured enough to get a company or so from point at to point b, and could, in a bunch, provide it a fire base.

Presumably the same guys that fix our trucks now, but properly supported with funding and spare parts hence my insistence whatever we bought needs to be American. It would take more money to make happen, but my crews show up to do maintenance on LUVWs and TAPVs one weekend every month, without fail. The only difference would be a couple hours drive down to the hanger first to make it happen. Same would go for actual repair level maintenance.

You’ve already pointed out that SVC Bn can’t work on G rides. I get that your guys are dedicated, but a tank is orders of magnitude more involved.

As I have acknowledged, it would take a significant investment and on-going expenditure to make something like this happen, but its easily doable. It would also easily fit within the 2% we're expected to spend on defence, which we never do. I also suggested a pooled fleet in Wainwright like they did with the Cougars. I'm not hung up on tanks in Yakima, I'm hung up on crappy equipment and the constant condescension and outright dismissal of the reserves by the Reg Force. There are ways to make things work without reinventing the wheel here, but attitudes on both sides of the reg/reserve fence need to change.

The complications apparently aren't that bad, given the BCR spent more time exercising at JBLM and Yakima last year than we did in Canada.

Where am I dismissing the reserves? In my fever dreams we have motorized reserve Bns that are part of the CMBGs. That can’t happen without restructure, and rationalizing who’s going to be trained for what with what. It makes sense for the SALH to share equipment in Alberta, it makes sense for units in Winnipeg to use equipment in Shilo. It doesn’t make sense for that to work in BC.

Fine. Give us a task and a vehicle fit to purpose, properly supported with training, spares, funding, doctrine and the training area to support it and we'll do the job. In exchange, I'll give you my LCol and RSM, and even the drill hall. My example of tanks is an "I wish" dream supported by the transfer of all the tanks to the LdSH and a squadron being deployed to Latvia. The only reason the BCR or quite frankly any other reserve armour unit in 3 Div can't support that mission is a lack of money and a lack of will on the part of the Reg Force Army.

And training time. Training time is key. Reservists are now, and have been supporting missions for decades. I know this because I was one. But when we sent RCAC guys they had to go and do full on multi month leopard courses. I think we should require large amounts of individual training to do work up. Give tasks that make sense and accept geography is a thing, that’s how we crack that nut.

Its not that I haven't worn it, its I haven't been personally issued a set. I've never been able to go overseas, for reasons I'm not going to get in to here.

The fact a first world army can't issue its soldiers basic PPE, reserve or not, is an embarrassment.

Agreed.

I know change is needed. But if the change becomes what you want, which is the Reg Force makes us shut everything down, amalgamate everything and then hand out bullshit jobs like driving the infantry around to be done with substandard equipment the whole bloody reserve is going to quit and then the Regs will be well and truly screwed.

I'm advocating for more money, real equipment, an actual worthwhile job and a place at the table with the Reg force. And if a few light colonels and RSMs lose their jobs to make that happen, so be it.

Is it what I want ? I mean kind of, it more what I see as feasible. Unlike yourself I don’t see providing protected mobility as a demeaning “bullshit job” I see that as enabling maneuver and providing fire power. To me that seems pretty worthwhile. Would I pick the TAPV as an armoured vehicle? Fuck no. Would I like to use them are range targets and buy a mix of CV90s and Fenneks / Centaraus anything else ? Yes.

That’s not going to happen though. We have what we have. That covers a) equipment t b) the people and c) the training time.

The Royal Canadian Dragoons, Hotel Sqn (The Windsor Regiment (RCAC)). The name can be massaged, but leave the new sqn with an identity.

Reserve Units become Squadrons of The RCD. They get to maintain most traditions (regimental toasts and histories, traditions and mess property, as a means of Sqn pride and esprit de Corps. Guidons get hung up and all battle honours amalgamated on the RCD guidon. Everyone wears a Springbok. Shut down the senates. Most members are nothing more than placeholders with little, if any, tactical corporate knowledge. They are the biggest hindrance to Reserve restucture. Teachers, bankers and lawyers reliving their glory days as an excuse to gather and drink.

Hurt feelings? Fuck 'em. In ten years everyone will indoctrinated and their loyalty will be to the RCD. Their old Regiments will be part of history. New people will associate with their new unit. Loyalty is to the Corp, otherwise you wouldn't have transfers between the RCD, LdSH (RC) and 12 RBC. You get posted, change your cap badge and get to work.

I don't know if that'll work but we need to do something or the reserves won't come out the other side of the dark void

The Royal Canadian Dragoons, Hotel Sqn (The Windsor Regiment (RCAC)). The name can be massaged, but leave the new sqn with an identity.

Reserve Units become Squadrons of The RCD. They get to maintain most traditions (regimental toasts and histories, traditions and mess property, as a means of Sqn pride and esprit de Corps. Guidons get hung up and all battle honours amalgamated on the RCD guidon. Everyone wears a Springbok. Shut down the senates. Most members are nothing more than placeholders with little, if any, tactical corporate knowledge. They are the biggest hindrance to Reserve restucture. Teachers, bankers and lawyers reliving their glory days as an excuse to gather and drink.

Hurt feelings? Fuck 'em. In ten years everyone will indoctrinated and their loyalty will be to the RCD. Their old Regiments will be part of history. New people will associate with their new unit. Loyalty is to the Corp, otherwise you wouldn't have transfers between the RCD, LdSH (RC) and 12 RBC. You get posted, change your cap badge and get to work.

I don't know if that'll work but we need to do something or the reserves won't come out the other side of the dark void
That’s what I would see for reservists close to bases, where they can do augmentation. Ideally that means you get pools of LAV / TAPV / Leo / MUAS qualified guys that can fill empty spots, up to formed troops. The same goes with the infantry. That takes care of 33, 35, 37, and 41 CBGs. From there the remainder for Battalions with TAPV for mobility + existing CAV tasks.

39 CBG - the British Columbia Regiment
38 CBG - Canadian Mounted Rifles
31 CBG - *this one is actually hard, the lineage doesn’t work for anything really *
32 CBG - Toronto Grenadiers
34 CBG - Fusiliers du Mont Royal
36 CBG - Princess Louise’s Fusilliers

The first part is a jest. The second part less so. The TAPV is armoured enough to get a company or so from point at to point b, and could, in a bunch, provide it a fire base.
Only under the best of circumstances, given its height, ground pressure and lack of credible armament (or in slick top versions, any armament)

You’ve already pointed out that SVC Bn can’t work on G rides. I get that your guys are dedicated, but a tank is orders of magnitude more involved.
They can't fix them because spares don't exist. Not a them problem, or a staffing problem. Just a funding and obsolete platform problem. Fixable, with cash injection.

Where am I dismissing the reserves? In my fever dreams we have motorized reserve Bns that are part of the CMBGs. That can’t happen without restructure, and rationalizing who’s going to be trained for what with what. It makes sense for the SALH to share equipment in Alberta, it makes sense for units in Winnipeg to use equipment in Shilo. It doesn’t make sense for that to work in BC.
It's a little hard to not take it as dismissal when your plan is to take a bunch of guys and girl who pride themselves on their crew skills and armoured heritage and give them a hunk of junk to drive infantry around in. The Reg Force doesn't waste armoured crewmen driving infantry around, why should we?

And training time. Training time is key. Reservists are now, and have been supporting missions for decades. I know this because I was one. But when we sent RCAC guys they had to go and do full on multi month leopard courses. I think we should require large amounts of individual training to do work up. Give tasks that make sense and accept geography is a thing, that’s how we crack that nut.
Protect my employment, pay me what I would make civvie side and more troops will turn up for more training. (this actually happened very recently for me so there's no reason it can't be expanded)

Is it what I want ? I mean kind of, it more what I see as feasible. Unlike yourself I don’t see providing protected mobility as a demeaning “bullshit job” I see that as enabling maneuver and providing fire power. To me that seems pretty worthwhile.
The TAPV is neither maneuverability nor firepower.

Would I pick the TAPV as an armoured vehicle? Fuck no. Would I like to use them are range targets and buy a mix of CV90s and Fenneks / Centaraus anything else ? Yes.
We agree here. But the Reg Force dumped this turd of a vehicle on us after realizing it for what it is and now you're telling me we have what we have and we need to make it work. Ours sit in a hanger, waiting for parts we can't get from Edmonton.

That’s not going to happen though. We have what we have. That covers a) equipment t b) the people and c) the training time.
A couple leaders publicly pulling a Norman or Landymore would spice things up I figure.

Only under the best of circumstances, given its height, ground pressure and lack of credible armament (or in slick top versions, any armament)

Slick tops should never have been bought. While I concur it’s far from good, it’s better than nothing.

They can't fix them because spares don't exist. Not a them problem, or a staffing problem. Just a funding and obsolete platform problem. Fixable, with cash injection.

It's a little hard to not take it as dismissal when your plan is to take a bunch of guys and girl who pride themselves on their crew skills and armoured heritage and give them a hunk of junk to drive infantry around in. The Reg Force doesn't waste armoured crewmen driving infantry around, why should we?

Because the regular force can put infantry soldiers on LAV driver, CC, and Turret op course that are 4-6 weeks long, and keep them in those jobs for long enough for them to get good. 41 training days a year doesn’t allow that kind of cross training. Again, I was a reservist and I feel fully justified in saying this, but the amount of time we can realistically expect out of class a soldiers means one job can be done well.

Protect my employment, pay me what I would make civvie side and more troops will turn up for more training. (this actually happened very recently for me so there's no reason it can't be expanded)

Even if it would make people want to do it, multi month long periods of individual training are frankly inefficient ways to get ready to deploy. I did a ten month class b to get ready for my first tour, I don’t think that’s really a sustainable model.

The TAPV is neither maneuverability nor firepower.

I mean I personally wouldn’t enjoy being shot at by 40mm hedp, and I can’t move as fast as a tapv. Again, it’s a turd, but it’s not nothing.

We agree here. But the Reg Force dumped this turd of a vehicle on us after realizing it for what it is and now you're telling me we have what we have and we need to make it work. Ours sit in a hanger, waiting for parts we can't get from Edmonton.

There is no parts, it’s a contract issue. All of them are sitting around doing nothing. We have over a dozen. It hasn’t been dumped, the regular force is using it as well, just not all 500.

A couple leaders publicly pulling a Norman or Landymore would spice things up I figure.

What makes you think this is a first world army?

Undermanned, under staffed, under equipped and the equipment we have is either old and decrepit, ill suited for the job and too dependent on outside limited resources for maintenance, etc. Scarce ammo, scarce equipment, scarce resources given away to Ukraine with no replacement strategy. Huge budget cuts and a leadership starting with Trudeau on down that the rank and file don't believe and don't trust.

We are lots of things, but first world is not one of them.😉

Fair enough. I'm going to bow out of this discussion because I don't really have any new points, and I don't want to circle around.

I'll leave you with this. When I joined, there were members of my unit fresh back from Afghanistan, who had served on the Leopards. That's all I've ever wanted to do, go overseas in a tank or failing that an actual AFV. It's been done before, and by the sounds of it it'll be done again to staff the squadron in Latvia. The unit has been there for me in some incredibly dark times and the Regimental family is a thing, like it or not.

If the answer to the great Reserve Re-Org question becomes kill the unit and give it a job as a battle taxi driver, I'm out. My civvie job pays way better, will send me overseas and I'll actually get to do the job I've trained to do.

And I wouldn't be the only one walking out the door.

In the mean time, I'll keep showing up for training, doing the best I can with the crap I'm given, and try and get one of those spots in Latvia.

Fusiliers du Mont Royal

There’s no « du » in Les Fusiliers Mont-Royal. A mistake that was done in Ottawa when our name was officially translated in French. We never cared to make the correction.

There’s no « du » in Les Fusiliers Mont-Royal. A mistake that was done in Ottawa when our name was officially translated in French. We never cared to make the correction.
My apologies.

The only difference would be a couple hours drive down to the hanger first to make it happen.
You guys must be bookin' these days. I did a handful of Vancouver-Yakima moves as a driver, in which the outbound trip meant leaving Vancouver Fri evening and arriving to greet the dawn in Yakima. Watching that truckload of POL weaving across a couple of lanes of freeway going through the Snoqualmie at least kept me from falling asleep.

"Battle taxi driver" is still "armoured vehicle crew". Someone has to be behind the wheel, but there are a lot of other fighting vehicle skills that have to be maintained. It's a step up from a jeep, and it's a heckuva step up from doing pointless pepper-potting across a local patch of grass shouting "bang, bang", and it's not like facing down the dreaded "re-roled to a MLBU".

Back