• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army Reserve Restructuring

I guess it depends if you consider "amphibious" this:
OIP.eh4q6qvG5bTP3jUEQp_FwAHaE7
Not that
Or something more like this:

OIP.svHSdEMEERbQguViV2Nx3AHaEA
or this:
This, yes - very much so. Plus real weapons on the MCDV and AOPS.
That too but more the former.

🍻

With the understanding that this would be a 30/70 unit, I don't think that making a Mountain unit would be a hard task -- sure I doubt you will see PRes MOI's, but Basic Mountain Ops, and RM's there is no reason they can't.
There are reserve AMOs (Formerly MOIs), not just ex-Reg F guys either, like actual PRes candidates who went and did the course.

Sorry, what are AMO’s and MOI’s? I’ve been out for a long time and my Google-fu sucks. Thanks.

I would bet that if the government supplied the equipment, supplied the training courses, supplied the funding required you would see more people joining the Reserves and staying.
Most Reserve units have little little to no equipment but the basics. Most have their training budget one year and disappears the next. Courses are cancelled, or dates changed.

I would look reginal, Give the Budget and give the equipment to each Reserve Brigade. Have them stand up 1 Regiment of Infantry, Artillery, Armored, Engineers,
Stand up another Regimental name and Each Company/ Troop/Sqn could carry the current Units name.
IE 1st West Coast Infantry Regiment, consisting of
- The Royal Westminster Company (Light Infantry)
- The Seaforth Highlanders Of Canada Company (Amphibious assault)
- The Canadian Scottish Company ( Princess Mary's) Company (Mechanized)
- The Rocky Mountain Rangers Company (Mountain Warfare)
Each Infantry is equipped with Light Mech equipment.
39 Service Battalion
Equip with Heavy Haul Trailers and equipment.
39 Signal Regiment
39 Engineering Regiment
Equip them with lots of bridging equipment and breeching gear. Give them Mech
1 West coast Armored Regiment
Equip both with one Sqn with Tanks split between the Two Sqns for Training Purposes. Then Have a Training fleet (Sqn worth) of tanks for Exercises. . Both equipped with Lav6.
- The British Columbia Dragoons Sqn
- The British Columbia Sqn
1 West Coast Artillery Regiment
Equipment Two Troops per Battery with 155 light, then equip one Troop with Mechanized 155 and Towed 105. Cross train the Troops.
- 5th (BC) Field Battery
- 15th Field Battery
Equip AD with Short and long range systems.
- Airdefense Battery

Then prey it all works out.

I would bet that if the government supplied the equipment, supplied the training courses, supplied the funding required you would see more people joining the Reserves and staying.
Most Reserve units have little little to no equipment but the basics. Most have their training budget one year and disappears the next. Courses are cancelled, or dates changed.

I would look reginal, Give the Budget and give the equipment to each Reserve Brigade. Have them stand up 1 Regiment of Infantry, Artillery, Armored, Engineers,
Stand up another Regimental name and Each Company/ Troop/Sqn could carry the current Units name.
IE 1st West Coast Infantry Regiment, consisting of
- The Royal Westminster Company (Light Infantry)
- The Seaforth Highlanders Of Canada Company (Amphibious assault)
- The Canadian Scottish Company ( Princess Mary's) Company (Mechanized)
- The Rocky Mountain Rangers Company (Mountain Warfare)
Each Infantry is equipped with Light Mech equipment.
39 Service Battalion
Equip with Heavy Haul Trailers and equipment.
39 Signal Regiment
39 Engineering Regiment
Equip them with lots of bridging equipment and breeching gear. Give them Mech
1 West coast Armored Regiment
Equip both with one Sqn with Tanks split between the Two Sqns for Training Purposes. Then Have a Training fleet (Sqn worth) of tanks for Exercises. . Both equipped with Lav6.
- The British Columbia Dragoons Sqn
- The British Columbia Sqn
1 West Coast Artillery Regiment
Equipment Two Troops per Battery with 155 light, then equip one Troop with Mechanized 155 and Towed 105. Cross train the Troops.
- 5th (BC) Field Battery
- 15th Field Battery
Equip AD with Short and long range systems.
- Airdefense Battery

Then prey it all works out.
So more than a Reg Force BDE…

Interesting I didn’t know it was open to Reservists.
That and CTO if I’m not mistaken. We’re better about offering these courses to reservists than we were ten years ago, in my limited view.

I’m counter any pie in the sky fantasies about us all of a sudden having enough tanks to equip every reserve Bde with them. I wish we had them. I detest that there’s 40 odd Leo 1s on the Cold Lake Air Weapons range when they could be in the hands of army reserve units, though I doubt we’d be able to maintain them if they were being used.

We have what we have. There are a couple projects to be hopeful about in the near term - GBAD, Future Fires, ect.

Each of those CBGs roughly equates to a Bn plus. Infanteers as dismounts, crewmen crewing TAPV. If you consider that, you can generate roughly two 10/90 Bdes as forces in waiting.
Keep the TAPV's in the "cavalry" squadrons, expand the TMP buy and organize/equip the infantry to fully the same fully motorized LIB standard that we've decided is good enough to play a role in Latvia.

Keep the TAPV's in the "cavalry" squadrons, expand the TMP buy and organize/equip the infantry to fully the same fully motorized LIB standard that we've decided is good enough to play a role in Latvia.
The TAPV's are going to divest themselves.

Right now there is zero sense in buying significant equipment for the PRes.
A good 110% of then would be required to fill out the Reg Force.

What does make sense is getting away from the Big Three (and trust me they really aren't that big) bases for the Reg Force Army, and consolidating units (Reg and Res) into viable entities.

Create a CFB in mid BC (Merritt) and put 3 VP there and the Mountain School.
It becomes a 50/50 unit with 4 Rifle Coy's, a Cbt Spt Coy, Admin/HQ Coy - and focuses on Mountain work
D Bty from 2 RCHA is collocated as a Light Mountain Bty in a 30/70 setup

1 VP absorbs the LER's as their 4th LAV Coy as a 70/30 unit
2 VP absorbs whatever there is around Shilo as a 4th Coy
1 RCHA has a Gun Bty in both Edmonton and Shilo of 10/90

Move an Armoured Unit to Medicine Hat/Suffield as a 30/70 unit

3 RCR moves to Meaford - with the same setup as 3 VP with a E Bty from 2 RCHA

1 RCR moves (back) to London with there same sort of thing as 1VP

etc etc etc.

The TAPV's are going to divest themselves.

Right now there is zero sense in buying significant equipment for the PRes.
A good 110% of then would be required to fill out the Reg Force.
They'll do the Bison thing on the Reserves again. Talk it up what a great thing this new vehicle will be for the Reserves and use their budget to buy them.

Oops, sorry boys, we need those for deployment. Turn them all in, we'll spread them out to all Regular units. We'll leave a couple in Meaford for you at CBO. BTW, CBO only works Mon-Thurs, 10:00-14:00. Book accordingly and prepare to leave two pers per vehicle, behind in situ, for CBO to use as gophers.🤣

They'll do the Bison thing on the Reserves again. Talk it up what a great thing this new vehicle will be for the Reserves and use their budget to buy them.

Oops, sorry boys, we need those for deployment. Turn them all in, we'll spread them out to all Regular units. We'll leave a couple in Meaford for you at CBO. BTW, CBO only works Mon-Thurs, 10:00-14:00. Book accordingly and prepare to leave two pers per vehicle, behind in situ, for CBO to use as gophers.🤣
The Regs I think would be happy to give the TAPV’s to the Reserves. Which I think speaks volumes.

The Regs I think would be happy to give the TAPV’s to the Reserves. Which I think speaks volumes.

Give the TAPVs to Roshel or Inkas or Zodiac for furtherance to Ukraine and let them chop and channel as they and the Ukrainians see fit.

I think the Ukrainians are likely to be a little less fussy.

Give the TAPVs to Roshel or Inkas or Zodiac for furtherance to Ukraine and let them chop and channel as they and the Ukrainians see fit.

I think the Ukrainians are likely to be a little less fussy.
If they can get them going anywhere due to parts…

That’s the complete opposite of what’s happening.

Back