• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army Reserve Restructuring

That's a good point. I my view, we would need more so instead of closing units, rebadging and reroling them might be a better solution. The ARes Armoured Corps also need to be decentralized IOT have a bigger pool for succession planning. Where there's to much inf regt, reroling mignt be a good solution.
The idea that one needs a LCol or an RSM for a Reserve unit that has a Coy at max strength is ridiculous.

What experience do they get from being a glorified Pl Commander or Platoon WO? Nothing other than sucking more Line Serials into the toilet.

@markppcli makes a valid point that the RCAC if anything need to be consolidated towards the Reg Force bases.

The idea that one needs a LCol or an RSM for a Reserve unit that has a Coy at max strength is ridiculous.

What experience do they get from being a glorified Pl Commander or Platoon WO? Nothing other than sucking more Line Serials into the toilet.

@markppcli makes a valid point that the RCAC if anything need to be consolidated towards the Reg Force bases.

My next Crazy Idea is to examine if we really need expensive, down town armoury properties when we have massive training buildings on base (looking at you Edmonton).

The Royal Scottish Rocky Mountain Highlanders?

I would be open to unit amalgamation like in the UK. There is some creative joining of the names that in itself tells a history of the regiment.

I just don’t understand why we need three battalions each of RCR, PPCLI and R22eR. Two could be re-badged Black Watch and Queen’s Own Rifles. I’m sure there are a few other former RegF regiments out there too. Is there a real savings in cap badges?

Maybe I should stop now. 🔥
Kill it all with Fire.

Canada doesn't even have equipment for the Regular Force.
Playing name games just hurts the establishment in the Long run.

1 Cdn Div
-- Div HQ
- Div Arty (Bde)
- Div Eng (Bde)
- Div Spt (Bde)

1 Bde (Armour)
1 Cdn Inf Bn
2 Cdn Inf Bn
1 Cdn Armour Reg't
2 Cdn Armour Reg't

2 Bde (LAV)
3 Cdn Inf Bn
4 Cdn Inf Bn
3 Cdn Armour Reg't

3 Bde (LAV)
5 Cdn Inf Bn
6 Cdn Inf Bn
4 Cdn Armour Reg't

4 Bde (Light)
7 Cdn Inf Bn
8 Cdn Inf Bn
9 Cdn Inf Bn

5 Bde (Light)
10 Cdn Inf Bn
11 Cdn Inf Bn
12 Cdn Inf Bn

Done

The Royal Scottish Rocky Mountain Highlanders?

I would be open to unit amalgamation like in the UK. There is some creative joining of the names that in itself tells a history of the regiment.

I just don’t understand why we need three battalions each of RCR, PPCLI and R22eR. Two could be re-badged Black Watch and Queen’s Own Rifles. I’m sure there are a few other former RegF regiments out there too. Is there a real savings in cap badges?

Maybe I should stop now. 🔥

Well there was when we had regimental depots. Now that we don’t really do regimental training centres it’s something of a non factor. All that being said there is probably bill cost savings to creating more regular force regiments, while their is admin and cost savings by merging the 69 (yes 51 infantry, 18 armoured) Reserve Regiments into maybe a dozen.

Well there was when we had regimental depots. Now that we don’t really do regimental training centres it’s something of a non factor. All that being said there is probably bill cost savings to creating more regular force regiments, while their is admin and cost savings by merging the 69 (yes 51 infantry, 18 armoured) Reserve Regiments into maybe a dozen.

Most important issue: How are you going to get the Scottish regiments to agree on whose tartan to wear?

By getting rid of highland dress outside of pipe bands. Outside the box solutions.

:)

Happy Jonah Hill GIF

Off the cuff:

NFLD - The Royal Newfoundland Regiment
NS - 17th Batt - The Nova Scotia Highlanders, CEF
NB - The Royal New Brunswick Regiment
PEI - The Prince Edward Island Regiment
PQ - Le Voltigeurs de Quebec and/or Les Fusiliers du St. Laurent
ON - 3rd -1st Battalion (Ontario Regiment) CEF, 4th -2 Battalion (Eastern Ontario Regiment) CEF, 3rd Batt. (Toronto Regiment) CEF,

That's just off of this list: List of units of the Canadian Army - Wikipedia

The west is tougher as most units refer to smaller geographic areas but:

MB - 44th Batt. (Manitoba) CEF
SK - 65th Batt (Saskatchewan) CEF
AB- 31st Batt (Alberta) CEF
BC - 7th Batt (1st British Columbia) CEF
YK - The Yukon Regiment. Note limited population.
NWT - 226th Batt (Men of the North) ? Or do they provide companies to the YK Regiment? Or a "quick" response company to back up the Rangers? Manpower is limited.
NU -226th Batt (Men of the North) ? Or do they provide companies to the YK Regiment? Or a "quick" response company to back up the Rangers? Manpower is limited.

Aware some of these units are still active reserve, some are armour that I grabbed just based upon names, and many are stood down units whose history has been carried on by current units.

But 49? active reserve units becomes call it 18 units at a 3:1 consolidation aspect. Play around with some balance and it might be a slightly different mix (I feel the northern Territories, NW Ontario/Great Lakes area units, and Quebec need more work to start) but gives a straw dog on how to align with the current 9 RegF units.

The other option is to just create new names entirely for areas needed but there is so much history with some names there is no point in replacing the Royal New Brunswick Regiment with plain The New Brunswick Regiment. But I do think the CEF was on something as well when they took the large, and sometimes widely manned units raised and re-ordered them to align with what the Army needed.

Why? What practical reason? Is it because the regiment gives you a sense of belonging and you think you’d loose that if what your friend group called themselves changes?

Trust me, I know objectively the way we do business is stupid and desperately needs to be changed. The BCR itself lives in a decrepit old building completely unsuitable for its purpose, and its nowhere near large enough. Half our vehicles and most of our POL are off site. But that place is a second home to me, and I don't want to give it up.

Reliving former glory I guess, giving up the name and the traditions to me, feels like letting the men who went before wearing that same cap badge and carrying those traditions down. Same reason we keep the building we have come hell or high water. A large number of men walked out those doors and never came home. I've been a member of the BCR for more than a decade and walked the battlefields of our predecessor units in Europe, and no amount of reason is going to change my mind. I'm completely aware that's not a practical reason.

If we were to stay armour and actually be a practical, worthwhile expenditure of limited Army funds? We need a new site with a hanger, classrooms, maintenance facility and a track we can use to train drivers. Oh, and actual armoured vehicles suited to our role, but that's a stretch. There's plenty of land for such a facility at 39 Svc in Richmond, or the Aldergrove lands. Last I heard though the RCAF was not at all willing to share out in Aldergrove.

If I ran the army and money was no object? The BCR drill hall would be renovated and seismically updated, and the BCR would receive driver and turret trainers for Abrams. Our two troops of Abrams would be located in the US at Yakima, and our actual fleet of vehicles would be blue fleets to go down to the US. The army as a whole would transition to US systems exclusively, the only Canadianization being our shade of green and some black maple leafs. I'm not nearly smart enough to figure out what the rest of the Army would look like, but it would generally follow the "heavy in the west, medium and light in the east" template that's been talked about ad nauseum elsewhere on this site.

Trust me, I know objectively the way we do business is stupid and desperately needs to be changed. The BCR itself lives in a decrepit old building completely unsuitable for its purpose, and its nowhere near large enough. Half our vehicles and most of our POL are off site. But that place is a second home to me, and I don't want to give it up.

Reliving former glory I guess, giving up the name and the traditions to me, feels like letting the men who went before wearing that same cap badge and carrying those traditions down. Same reason we keep the building we have come hell or high water. A large number of men walked out those doors and never came home. I've been a member of the BCR for more than a decade and walked the battlefields of our predecessor units in Europe, and no amount of reason is going to change my mind. I'm completely aware that's not a practical reason.

If we were to stay armour and actually be a practical, worthwhile expenditure of limited Army funds? We need a new site with a hanger, classrooms, maintenance facility and a track we can use to train drivers. Oh, and actual armoured vehicles suited to our role, but that's a stretch. There's plenty of land for such a facility at 39 Svc in Richmond, or the Aldergrove lands. Last I heard though the RCAF was not at all willing to share out in Aldergrove.

If I ran the army and money was no object? The BCR drill hall would be renovated and seismically updated, and the BCR would receive driver and turret trainers for Abrams. Our two troops of Abrams would be located in the US at Yakima, and our actual fleet of vehicles would be blue fleets to go down to the US. The army as a whole would transition to US systems exclusively, the only Canadianization being our shade of green and some black maple leafs. I'm not nearly smart enough to figure out what the rest of the Army would look like, but it would generally follow the "heavy in the west, medium and light in the east" template that's been talked about ad nauseum elsewhere on this site.

And you just know that the fact the Seaforths had a new $80M armoury built just across False Creek from you that they will be the last unit to ever be disbanded/ regrouped, if at all ;)

This is an interesting discussion.

I'm not sure how many of you have read "Relentless Struggle: Saving the Army Reserve 1995-2019" but many of the thoughts here are reflected in the history and the problems that the army faces in moving forward with any reforms - that is when it actually thinks about reforming the system.

Unit? In a large extent yes. If you listen to the Canadian Army pod cast, observe our more recent history, and look at our equipment stocks it becomes very very clear that the army does not require 20 odd reserve regiments. What it does need is crew for TAPVs who have worked with infantry dismounts, who can now have two maneuver MOS in the same unit to help allow people to move between companies easier, possibly with some admin grouping.
That, unfortunately, is what the army has become through years of neglect, underfunding and shortsightedness. Providing augmentation is but one role of a reserve force. A more critical role is to be an economical stand-by force capable of providing extra forces in times of need. That requires both people that are not paid a year-round salary and equipment that is not having the crap beaten out of it on a daily basis. It's been said over and over again that no country can afford to keep a large full-time force. It needs to carefully measure what is needed day-to-day and what can safely be kept "in reserve".

Canada's military is hooked on the Class B drug. The current structure is ideal for keeping the Class B drug flowing indefinitely in peacetime. The current structure is marginally useful in the event of a war like Afghanistan where our country nor the deployed force's complete destruction was ever a risk. The current structure is totally useless as either a deterrent or a serious fighting force against a peer.

The only question left is: how long will we as citizens and taxpayers continue to ignore the obvious and be satisfied with something that is clearly inadequate and performing far below the cash being spent on it. To spend $26 billion annually on a force that is seriously stressed at keeping a brigade in Latvia is scandalous.

Folks. The issue here isn't cap badges or how to name or number a regiment. The issue is we are wasting 18,000 soldiers by keeping them disorganized, unequipped and marginally trained. Do we need 20 reserve regiments? No! Do we need 20 reserve battalions (armoured, infantry, artillery, sustainment, etc)? Absolutely! And 18,000 reservists ought to give you 20 real battalions - not the 130 some odd we currently fool around with. 20 real battalions together with what the RegF can bring to the table will get you two real divisions with all the necessary bells and whistles.

The house needs fixing. It's long overdue.

🍻

If I had not released when I did, I can only guess that 20 years' increase in traffic volume would have driven me out by now. I don't cross the Burnaby-Vancouver boundary unless I have to. Consolidating a bunch of units into a super-armoury built adjacent to Seaforth solved a particular problem (the eventual release of the Jericho lands). (Contingency planning for that was an on-off-on-off... time-wasting problem that dragged on for at least 15 years before a shovel was turned.) Once the Broadway corridor LRT is complete, students living on and around UBC, SFU, BCIT will all have pretty good transit access to that location. Older members living further out and away from LRT, well...

"Where to build further east in the valley" was a topic people used to kick around.

With close access to the US border truck crossing and the South Fraser perimeter road, Hwy 1, Port Mann Br, Golden Ears Br, and forthcoming LRT line down the Fraser Hwy from Surrey to Langley, I'd pick Cloverdale now. And I'd still put another super-armoury on the Aldergrove land.

Relentless Struggle is a work of fiction, perpetuating myths of self declared saviors, who collectively successfully fought progress by maintaining the status quo.

If I had not released when I did, I can only guess that 20 years' increase in traffic volume would have driven me out by now. I don't cross the Burnaby-Vancouver boundary unless I have to. Consolidating a bunch of units into a super-armoury built adjacent to Seaforth solved a particular problem (the eventual release of the Jericho lands). (Contingency planning for that was an on-off-on-off... time-wasting problem that dragged on for at least 15 years before a shovel was turned.) Once the Broadway corridor LRT is complete, students living on and around UBC, SFU, BCIT will all have pretty good transit access to that location. Older members living further out and away from LRT, well...

"Where to build further east in the valley" was a topic people used to kick around.

With close access to the US border truck crossing and the South Fraser perimeter road, Hwy 1, Port Mann Br, Golden Ears Br, and forthcoming LRT line down the Fraser Hwy from Surrey to Langley, I'd pick Cloverdale now. And I'd still put another super-armoury on the Aldergrove land.
I fight that battle every training day. North Langley to downtown Vancouver is usually a hour and a half plus commute, plus the $16-35 parking depending on if its an event night or not.

I fight that battle every training day. North Langley to downtown Vancouver is usually a hour and a half plus commute, plus the $16-35 parking depending on if its an event night or not.
And it must just be getting better with all the new residential construction going on between 200 and 216.

Kill it all with Fire.

Canada doesn't even have equipment for the Regular Force.
Playing name games just hurts the establishment in the Long run.

1 Cdn Div
-- Div HQ
- Div Arty (Bde)
- Div Eng (Bde)
- Div Spt (Bde)

1 Bde (Armour)
1 Cdn Inf Bn
2 Cdn Inf Bn
1 Cdn Armour Reg't
2 Cdn Armour Reg't

2 Bde (LAV)
3 Cdn Inf Bn
4 Cdn Inf Bn
3 Cdn Armour Reg't

3 Bde (LAV)
5 Cdn Inf Bn
6 Cdn Inf Bn
4 Cdn Armour Reg't

4 Bde (Light)
7 Cdn Inf Bn
8 Cdn Inf Bn
9 Cdn Inf Bn

5 Bde (Light)
10 Cdn Inf Bn
11 Cdn Inf Bn
12 Cdn Inf Bn

Done
Looking at it more further I dont see why something likes this could not work
1 Cdn Div
Div HQ (70/30)
Div Arty and the Arty Bde (30/70)
Div Eng and the Eng Bde (40/60)
Div Support Bde Armour and Mech (60/40)
Div Support Bde Light (50/50)

1 Cdn Armour Bde - Wainwright/LATVIA (70/30 for manning, but actually composed of 60% PRes on Class C for a 2 Year Roto), 50% of Bde is Prepositioned in Latvia - with 110% of Wartime establishment of equipment) 50% of Bde is in Wainwright AB, 1/2 PRes on Class C doing run up before the rotation )

2 CMBG (LAV) - Shilo 30/70

3 CMBG (LAV) - Valcartier. 30/70

4 CDN Light Bde - Gagetown 70/30

5 CDN Light Bde - Edmonton 70/30. (30/70 Bn in BC, 30/70 BN in Calgary)

Do you think that changing it to the British Columbia Regiment dishonoured the men who served in the British Columbia Rifles? Or were any others other regiments dishonoured in the amalgamation heavy history of the BCRs?
The British Columbia Regiment (Duke of Connaught's Own) originated in Victoria, British Columbia on 12 October 1883, when the British Columbia Provisional Regiment of Garrison Artillery was formed. It was redesignated as the British Columbia Brigade of Garrison Artillery on 7 May 1886, as the British Columbia Battalion of Garrison Artilleryon 1 January 1893, as the 5th British Columbia Battalion of Garrison Artillery on 1 January 1895 and the 5th British Columbia Regiment, Canadian Artillery on 28 December 1895. The regiment was reorganized and split into two battalions on 1 July 1896, designated the 1st Battalion(now the 5th (British Columbia) Field Artillery Regiment, RCA) and 2nd Battalion, which was detached and converted to infantry and redesignated the 6th Battalion Rifles on 1 August 1899, with headquarters in Vancouver. It was redesignated the 6th Regiment The Duke of Connaught's Own Rifles on 1 May 1900.[1]

Following the Great War on 12 March 1920, the 6th Regiment The Duke of Connaught's Own Rifles was amalgamated with the 104th Regiment (Westminster Fusiliers of Canada), now The Royal Westminster Regiment, and redesignated as the 1st British Columbia Regiment. It was redesignated the 1st British Columbia Regiment (Duke of Connaught's Own) on 1 November 1920. On 15 May 1924 it was reorganized into three separate regiments, designated The Vancouver Regiment, The Westminster Regiment and the 1st British Columbia Regiment (Duke of Connaught's Own). The 1st British Columbia Regiment (Duke of Connaught's Own) was redesignated The British Columbia Regiment (Duke of Connaught's Own Rifles) on 15 January 1930 and the 2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The British Columbia Regiment, (Duke of Connaught's Own Rifles) on 7 November 1940. The regiment was converted to armour and redesignated the 13th Armoured Regiment (The British Columbia Regiment), RCAC, on 1 April 1946, The British Columbia Regiment (Duke of Connaught's Own) (13th Armoured Regiment) on 4 February 1949, The British Columbia Regiment (Duke of Connaught's Own) (RCAC), on 19 May 1958 and finally The British Columbia Regiment (Duke of Connaught's Own) on 7 October 1985. On 13 June 2002, it was amalgamated with The Irish Fusiliers of Canada (The Vancouver Regiment).[1]

The next 5-10 years sees the army deploying formed platoons mixed armour and infantry mounted in TAPVs. I think that is the most likely deployment of any formed reserve body. Essentially motorized infantry in the TAPV. To paraphrase @FJAG it’s not great but we have it and need to use it.

I’d rather see those heavy armoured reservists close by usable training areas. But I’m also not expecting to see reserve recruitment quadruple any time soon. @FJAG is again correct that cap badges are secondary, what matters is employing people in a logical manner. It’ll probably piss some people off, that’s a price worth paying most of the time.

Relentless Struggle is a work of fiction, perpetuating myths of self declared saviors, who collectively successfully fought progress by maintaining the status quo.
I disagree, in part, with that. It was commissioned by Reserves 2000 and very clearly is slanted in their direction. But along the way it details a lot of facts and circumstances which, while inconvenient to many, are nonetheless part of the history.

One has to look through the obvious bias it contains to parse the full story - but its in there. And it's not anywhere else.

Edited to add. There were no saviours. There was merely a stalemate that perpetuated the ineffectual status quo ante.

🍻

Last edited:
Looking at it more further I dont see why something likes this could not work
1 Cdn Div
Div HQ (70/30)
Div Arty and the Arty Bde (30/70)
Div Eng and the Eng Bde (40/60)
Div Support Bde Armour and Mech (60/40)
Div Support Bde Light (50/50)

1 Cdn Armour Bde - Wainwright/LATVIA (70/30 for manning, but actually composed of 60% PRes on Class C for a 2 Year Roto), 50% of Bde is Prepositioned in Latvia - with 110% of Wartime establishment of equipment) 50% of Bde is in Wainwright AB, 1/2 PRes on Class C doing run up before the rotation )

2 CMBG (LAV) - Shilo 30/70

3 CMBG (LAV) - Valcartier. 30/70

4 CDN Light Bde - Gagetown 70/30

5 CDN Light Bde - Edmonton 70/30. (30/70 Bn in BC, 30/70 BN in Calgary)
Arty and Engineer Bde's Ontario based?

Just for fun, here's my most recent napkin.

00 CA 4.1 Figure 6.png

00 CA 4.1 Figure 5.png

Note that the three support brigades are overly large. That's primarily because we only need three deployable brigade headquarters for the deployable 1 Div and I decided against creating more bde headquarters than necessary.

Note as well that while 1 Div is a deployable headquarters and focused on Europe, 2 Div is a non-deployable headquarters charged primarily with defence of Canada and for raising task forces for other-than European missions.

The force is structured to use existing manning levels (both RegF and ResF) and to maximize the use of existing equipment in the inventory or in the stream or near stream for acquisition.

Final note - CMTC moves to Latvia and all future MAPLE RESOLVEs become OAK RESOLVEs using the prepositioned equipment there.

🍻

Back