• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Are we prepard for a terrorist attack or any other attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
P-Free said:
But there is not much you can do before, during or after an attack to prevent it or to lessen the damage. If a bomber is bent on blowing himself up there is nothing you can do to change his mind and after it happens the damage is already done. All we can do is take the fight to them, so that the heck and the bombings are happening in their backyard and not in ours.

I beg to differ.  There are a lot of things we can do to prevent another terrorist attack or at least minimize the effort.  Redundant security systems, more patrols for police, actively pursuing known terrorist organizations within Canada and train everyone in individual protective measures by increasing their level of awareness for things that are out of place etc...  People do not have to live their lives oblivious to their surroundings until something happens.  The will to prevent it from happening has to be there from the start.

As for taking the fight to them, the Canadian military is barely capable of meeting its NATO/UN commitments let alone embarking on a campaign alone following a terrorist attack.  As far as I am concerned, Canada has left itself more or less wide open and unequipped to deal with the aftermath or even a retaliatory strike of significance.

PJ D-Dog

i agree, saying there is nothing you can do to stop it is the wrong attitude. look at how other countries have dealt with terror, not all have succeeded the first time thru, but they do get their shit together. Britain tried to beat the IRA with a bigger stronger army. didn't work, what worked was leaving it up to the police on that beat, it worked. the US did the same thing, you beat terror by teaching people to protect their own, (home, area, friends and family) look how many attempts have been stopped since 9/11. it can be done.

Canada won't do it though. i have little faith that we will get our shit together before it happens. too many people have that "we can't stop it" attitude.

Blair's tough anti-terrorism measures merit our consideration
Blinded by our commitment to multiculturalism, Canada is vulnerable to extremism

James Bissett
Freelance
Wednesday, August 10, 2005

British Prime Minister Tony Blair's announcement of sweeping new powers to combat terrorism, including a tougher approach to the entry and removal of people who preach hatred and violence, comes too late for the victims of the London bombings.

But it's not too late to serve as additional measures in the war against terrorism.

More important for Canadians, the British proposals might well serve as a warning to our own government that, unless we take similar action, Canada too will have its victims.

For too long, both in Canada and in Britain, the devotion to diversity and multiculturalism has blinded political leaders to the growth of extremism and the spread of intolerance and violence in some of our ethnic communities.

The failure to bring the Air India bombers to justice, Canada's refusal to place the Tamil Tigers on the list of terrorist organizations, and the delay and procrastination before naming Hamas, Hezbollah and other Islamist terrorist groups on that list is evidence that our government has been reluctant to admit there is a problem.

Britain has faced a similar situation with its large concentration of Muslim newcomers, many of whom have not integrated well into British society and have not accepted the British way of life or its value system. For years, hardline religious leaders have been permitted to preach a gospel of hatred in mosques and educational institutions. Now, as the latest bombings in London have shown, young British-born Muslims are prepared to murder their fellow citizens in order to carry out the nihilistic mission of their fanatic mentors.

In both countries, politicians have repeatedly given assurances that the loyalty and values of ethnic communities where problems have been evident are beyond reproach. Few, if any, measures have been taken to address serious problem areas. On the contrary, the issues are more often overlooked or excuses found.

In Toronto, in one ethnic community, the problem of young men killing each other is blamed not on the culture of violence evident in that community but on the fact that the weapons used to commit the murders have been smuggled into Canada from the United States.

Since 9/11, Muslim communities in Britain and in Canada have been repeatedly told they are the victims of racial profiling and police harassment. Seldom have the communities themselves been asked to help identify the real or potential terrorists in their ranks.

The refusal to acknowledge that the problem in some ethnic communities is real and that leaders and members of that community have a responsibility to their fellow citizens to help resolve the problem is foolish and counterproductive.

Such reluctance sends a message that is both misleading and dangerous. It not only creates misunderstanding, but, more seriously, encourages the extremists by undermining the capacity and will of the moderate majority to stand up to the militants.

Blair's announcement that the rules are changing is welcome news. He promises to crack down on extremists who foment hatred and has issued a warning that those who come to Britain have a responsibility to support, "the values that sustain the British way of life."

He plans to speed up the deportation of foreign nationals who are linked to terrorism and, since most of the foreign terrorists come from countries where mistreatment of prisoners is common, to challenge Britain's adherence to the United Nations Convention against Torture. He also has proposed to expand the government's powers to strip citizenship from naturalized citizens who become involved in terrorist activities and to review Britain's generous asylum system.

Many of these measures are ones that should be examined by Canadian policy makers. It may be true that Canada has been more successful in integrating its newcomers, but to deny that we are facing similar problems in some of our ethnic communities is to deny the facts.

Our dysfunctional asylum system cries out for reform; as it now stands, it undermines everything that has been done to combat terrorist activity by us and the Americans. Blair's proposal to strip the citizenship from naturalized citizens runs the risk of creating a double standard of citizenship. This may not be acceptable to most Canadians, but why not revoke the citizenship of any citizen who engages in terrorist activities? Canada's citizenship laws are among the most generous in the world. The waiting time before citizenship is granted is only three years and there is little emphasis on the duties and obligations expected of new citizens.

Many of the other steps announced by Blair are worthy of study. Unfortunately, as history and the recent bombings in Britain have shown, politicians in democratic countries will only take tough action after a catastrophic event has occurred.

As might be expected, the British prime minister's announcement has already been criticized as going too far.

Some might argue he has not gone far enough.

James Bissett is a former Canadian ambassador and former head of the Canadian Immigration Service

Canada may consider U.K. anti-terror steps, Cotler says
Steve Mertl
The Canadian Press
Tuesday, August 16, 2005

VANCOUVER - Justice Minister Irwin Cotler says Britain's tough new anti-terror measures could be looked at as part of the parliamentary review of Canada's anti-terrorism law.

Commons and Senate committees are conducting wide-ranging reviews of Canada's national security legislation, including issues outside the anti-terrorism act, such as the use of security certificates.

But Parliament is also free to look at what other jurisdictions are doing, "including but not limited to the United Kingdom," Cotler said Monday after speaking to the Canadian Bar Association's annual conference.

"We await their report and if there are recommendations that we believe will be helpful and supportive, both in enhancing security and protecting civil

liberties, we can then determine to act on them," said Cotler, who expects to appear before the review committees again this fall.

If the government decides to adopt any interim security measures before then, "we will share that view with Parliament and they may in their turn share their views with us," he said.

The government passed Bill C-36 in December 2001, giving police stronger powers of arrest without warrants and the ability to hold suspects for up to 72 hours without charge if they suspect a terrorist act is imminent.The law, which mandated a three-year review, also limits an accused's right to silence when compelled by a judge to testify.

In the wake of last month's bomb attacks on London's subways and buses, Prime Minister Tony Blair's government announced a crackdown on British-based Islamic militants and those who advocate violence or terrorism.

New legislation would make it easier to deport radicals, even if their home countries permit torture. Police could also target mosques, Islamic centres and bookstores if they're deemed sources of terror promotion.

Cotler, a former law professor and noted human rights advocate, said the application of anti-terror measures must always adhere to the rule of law, including prohibition of torture and discrimination against individuals or groups.

Maybe Canada has taken a back seat approach to Terrorism because the Intelligence community here actually works.

Sorry but after examining the evidence of 9-11 I have to call Bull on the Americans, I think this attack was carried out by Americans for a couple of reasons, one the Government got a blank cheque to spend what it wanted on defense and the spin offs from Defense Contracts have diverted the country from a recession, at least in the short term.  The owners of the Buildings received huge payoffs (7billion on the WTC alone)  and with the resulting unrest in the Middle East, it filled that lag left in industry from the cold war ending.

Think I'm full of it?  Check this link and make up your own mind  www.reopen911.org

Let's see:

Nuclear detonation takes down Twin Towers? 

727 never flew into Pentagon - it was a missle - but then what happened to the 727 and all its pax and crew?

Why are people on drugs allowed to host internet sites?

copper_43 said:
Think I'm full of it?  Check this link and make up your own mind  www.reopen911.org

If I'm not supposed to believe the US Govt, why should I believe the completely opposite view of the conspiracy theorists? If the first doesn't measure up in your view, then how, exactly, does viewing and then blindly believing the issued statements of the latter constitute "making up my own mind"?

Well George lets see:
1. Nobody claims a nuke was used?
2. How does a 60ton aircraft make a 16 ft hole and not leave its wings on the side of the building?
3. The drug comment is a way of saying your closed minded, did you even look at the videos on the link, I bet not.

Mr. O'Leary:
All information can be subjective, manipulated and re-spun, nobody denies that, however if you remember the events as you remember them, re-watch the videos, while reading the reports issued by the US Government, glaring points become evident.  Less than ethical reports were written and professional agencies were silenced or bypassed all together.
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, a video captured by a armature which shows exactly the opposite of what was reported can only leave you to ask why and compel you to look deeper, and I don't believe looking deeper while keeping an open mind is proceeding blindly.

WTF?
2. How does a 60ton aircraft make a 16 ft hole and not leave its wings on the side of the building?
Try driving a glassfiber car into a solid concrete wall at 200m/h, and see how much damage the wall takes compared to you.... :blotto:

3. The drug comment is a way of saying your closed minded, did you even look at the videos on the link, I bet not
OMG! We are being attacked by evil aliens... Oh... nevermind... It's was just Independence Day... pyhhh!  :-[

Just because it's on the internet doesn't make it real!

Well Mike

1. Statement on front page of your link states the fact that Twin Towers were taken down by nuclear detonation, or Did YOU not read that?

2. They burned up, being full of Aviation fuel.  Check out most airliner crash sites and see what remains of Aluminum/Magnesium alloys after a fire.

3. I have visited that and other sites and find them so full of holes as to be put forward by people either on drugs or suffering from some form of dementia.

This is a Lighthouse....Your Call!

Interesting statement Norup, and correct, the damage to the concrete may not have to be extensive but the wreckage outside the hole of the vehicle would be.  Although this 60ton aircraft left nothing, not even a paint smear.

copper_43 said:
Mr. O'Leary:
All information can be subjective, manipulated and re-spun, nobody denies that, however if you remember the events as you remember them, re-watch the videos, while reading the reports issued by the US Government, glaring points become evident.  Less than ethical reports were written and professional agencies were silenced or bypassed all together.
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, a video captured by a armature which shows exactly the opposite of what was reported can only leave you to ask why and compel you to look deeper, and I don't believe looking deeper while keeping an open mind is proceeding blindly.

Than may I assume that your personal opinons are based on your personal examination of all original evidence? Without any influence by others through their chosen presnetation of excerpts of vidoes, audio tapes or photos and the select isolated opinions of certain "experts" who may have prior records of attempting to define other events in terms of goverment conspiracies?

Interesting statement Norup, and correct, the damage to the concrete may not have to be extensive but the wreckage outside the hole of the vehicle would be.   Although this 60ton aircraft left nothing, not even a paint smear
Check out most airliner crash sites and see what remains of Aluminum/Magnesium alloys after a fire
I saw a M113 burn up almost completely... Only the tracks was left....

Newsflash... Metal burns!

...after examining the evidence of 9-11 I have to call Bull on the Americans, I think this attack was carried out by Americans for a couple of reasons
That s**t has to be some of the most disrespecting BS I have ever heard!

Of course you are correct to a point that all evidence left is suspect, as nothing is original anymore, what I find interesting is the avoidance of the government offices to answer simple questions, if attacked you would think things like the original video of an aircraft slamming into the Pentagon would be widely distributed, as opposed to being denied when the question came up as to how such a large jet could crash with such little damage or debris.

Norup is quite correct that an APC will burn like a torch, I believe that is largely due to the Aluminum content used to try and lighten the vehicle, however the Towers were mainly Steel and the jet fuel George refers to was mainly out within the first 10 min, the fires didn't even spread across the entire level of tower 2.

George, I still can't find the mention of Nukes you say are there, oh yeah and my name isn't mike.  And by all means I always willing to listen to other views, so lets here some of the holes you found on these sites. really.

Norup is quite correct that an APC will burn like a torch, I believe that is largely due to the Aluminum content used to try and lighten the vehicle, however the Towers were mainly Steel and the jet fuel George refers to was mainly out within the first 10 min, the fires didn't even spread across the entire level of tower 2
Well, the Towers didn't burn did they? The steel melted, right? Causing the building to collapse, right? So, what's your point???

Quickly I'll point out that I am talking about the plane that crashed into the Pentagon, not the Twin Towers.  As for the Nuke, I will point out that it is a bold title to a link in the right hand ccolumn of that webpage under the pictures.  

Here's your link from that webpage:

http://www.reopen911.org/undergroundnuke.htm

Further down they even have a conspiracy theory that Hunter Thompson was murdered because of what he wrote. 

The whole site is one big conspiracy theory.

Ok, got it, the Nuke headline you refer to was a e-mail to the editor of that site stating radioactive debris was detected at the WTC site, however the editor goes on to say he can not confirm this data which this person writes about.

Norup, there was a fire within the towers, the building was actually designed with much more massive fires in mind, the heat produced by the jet fuel in the short term it burnt would not be enough to melt the massive steel structure.  Most of the flames after the initial 10min burn was paper, office equipment and building supplies which is no where hot enough to make steel fail within an hour.

copper_43 said:
Norup, there was a fire within the towers, the building was actually designed with much more massive fires in mind, the heat produced by the jet fuel in the short term it burnt would not be enough to melt the massive steel structure.  Most of the flames after the initial 10min burn was paper, office equipment and building supplies which is no where hot enough to make steel fail within an hour.

Are you an Architect or a Structural Engineer or a Civil Engineer or something?  Seems to me that they interviewed the Architects and numerous Engineers who counter your theory.

Apart from all the charges set through the building, of which the evidence is overwhelming, the evidence is also crystal clear for those who know what they are looking at that the buildings were ultimately brought down by nuclear explosions
Holy X-File... This looks like a job for Mulder!!!

( Somebody needs to check their trailer for propane leaks )

Norup, there was a fire within the towers, the building was actually designed with much more massive fires in mind, the heat produced by the jet fuel in the short term it burnt would not be enough to melt the massive steel structure.   Most of the flames after the initial 10min burn was paper, office equipment and building supplies which is no where hot enough to make steel fail within an hour.
Well... I think a saw something about old "fireprotective foam" ( most of it blown away doing impact ) and I'm pretty sure that a 747 hitting a building will do some damage to it.... And a Jet-fuel fire IS capable of making steel melt... And in this case you also have the entire weight of the building resting on the impact-zone...

Why is it SO impossible to believe Muslim Terrorist crashed planes into the towers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back