• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2024 BC Election

Oh, are we already doing "stop the steal"?
Yeah my twitter has been full of twits going on about how a delay in counting is an obvious sign of a conspiracy. Not a result of the thorough process and checks and balances in place through the non partisan elections officials we have.

Probably the best Prime Minister we never had.
Although he didn’t have the best public persona and didn’t have much of the Baby Boomer vote, I think Stanfield would have made a very competent prime minister. I also liked Erin O’Toole. I guess I have a penchant for lost causes.

Although he didn’t have the best public persona and didn’t have much of the Baby Boomer vote, I think Stanfield would have made a very competent prime minister. I also liked Erin O’Toole. I guess I have a penchant for lost causes.
No, you’re like me in thinking boring, competent managers make good premiers/prime ministers.

Yeah my twitter has been full of twits going on about how a delay in counting is an obvious sign of a conspiracy. Not a result of the thorough process and checks and balances in place through the non partisan elections officials we have.
Or having to wait for Canada Post to deliver them.

Or having to wait for Canada Post to deliver them.
A good reason to put limits, including end-of-voting and receipt deadlines, on mail-in votes.

There are no satisfactory reasons to not be able to put a hard number on the advance poll vote counts or a ceiling on the number of requested mail-in ballots when polls close on election day.

A good reason to put limits, including end-of-voting and receipt deadlines, on mail-in votes.

There are no satisfactory reasons to not be able to put a hard number on the advance poll vote counts or a ceiling on the number of requested mail-in ballots when polls close on election day.
I think if you request a mail in ballot, and submit by the approved date your vote should count no matter what Canada Post fails to do.

I think if you request a mail in ballot, and submit by the approved date your vote should count no matter what Canada Post fails to do.
A couple of years back I got a postcard from a friend on vacation that arrived several weeks after his return to Canada. Almost every year at least one expected monthly statement from one organization or another fails to ever show up in my mailbox. I don't get much mail that isn't junk. So what? It means sometimes stuff in the mail is delayed past the point of reason or lost entirely; my small sample size (denominator) means the fraction might be high.

Someone has probably already studied the reliability of the mail, and can point to some statistic that says (example) "99.9% of mail arrives with X days of being posted". So set a final date for postmark and another for acceptance that covers a range of X days. That includes generously allowing postmarking by election day (but not dropoff, if there's no guarantee of postmarking on pickup day), with a cutoff for acceptance X days after election day. If a mailed ballot is late, too bad.

In practice if the number of unaccounted ballots is known and is less than the separation between the leading and next candidates, the result can be certified as a win for the leader and the final count - no matter how long it takes - is just a number for posterity. So it's important to limit the number of ballots issued (ie. no shotgunning) and to know the number issued. Rarely - but not never - the certainty of fixed deadlines will be useful.

BC, like other provinces, has a decent number of voters who pack up and go to warmer climates by early October. Also a large number working up North in remote areas. It makes sense to have about 3-5% mail in votes.
There is supposed to be an update today of how many ballots remain uncounted for each electoral district and the whole thing should be wrapped up by Monday.

Edit: but ballots which suddenly arrive in bulk from BC residents supposedly living in China or India ought to be closely looked at.

No, you’re like me in thinking boring, competent managers make good premiers/prime ministers.

The lingering image of Stanfield will always be that fumble. However, remember that he came within two seats of Trudeau's Liberals in the preceding 1972 election and it was only by the NDP propping them up that the Liberals continued as a minority government.

Though it is a view from a close associate, this is probably more accurate of the sense of the man.

I remember the 1974 election; I voted Progressive Conservative. I probably would have voted PC even if they had a worse leader - it was a family thing. In Newfoundland, to be a Liberal was to stand with Joey Smallwood and one either loved Joey or hated him; we hated him. I remember my grandfather relating a story about an event during the referendum campaign in which his interaction with Smallwood was summed up by "we had a rope around the little bastard's neck but the police showed up before we got it over a lamp post". Ah, good old fashioned politics. But back in '74, I don't recall that the lingering charisma of Trudeau was as much of a factor in the polls as the 'mania' of 1968.

Back