• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Zero Pilots Being Hired in 2009?

recceguy said:
We really need to change the title of this thread. I chuckle everytime I envision  Cdn pilots tying Canadian flag scarves on their heads and going on suicide missions.
Concur.

I thought we were buying Zeros.  >:D

Rams89 said:
I'm not too sure about the accuracy that zero pilots will be hired this year. I've completed the interview, medical, ACS and passed as pilot. All they said was wait till end of March or April and you'll hear something.

When they DO open up DEO pilot again there will be what, 5-10 spots for 200-300 qualified individuals?

I tried very hard and for a long time to figure out where I stand on the merit list in relation to the other qualified candidates.
My contact in Ottawa offers no help.
Is there really no way to find out?
At least approximately? Like am I in top 10% or bottom 10%?

Knowing this could have a dramatic effect on my future life plans if I'm not accepted this April

Vodkaboy, I don't think there is nearly 200-300 DEO pilot applications awaiting offers at this time. I think the actual number is much less. Also, when you say qualified, are you referring to having completed everything including aircrew selection?

Every time I read the title of this thread, I want to shout

Tora!  Tora!  Tora!

snyper21 said:
Vodkaboy, I don't think there is nearly 200-300 DEO pilot applications awaiting offers at this time. I think the actual number is much less. Also, when you say qualified, are you referring to having completed everything including aircrew selection?

Qualified as in "fit for pilot", successfully through the selection process.
Why do you think the number is much less? They put at least 10-12 people through each aircrew selecton course, and there were, (at least until recently), a couple dozen of those courses held per year. That's at least 200 people/year. With simulator success rate at about 40% and medical success rate of 90%, we have at least 70 candidates qualify for pilot each year.

It's hard to say how many people give up right away, and how many decide to wait for years and renew their application. You may be right about the numbers if attrition rates are high, but there seems to be no way of knowing what the real numbers are on the merit list.

The point is that so far, nobody has been able to answer my question about the merit list standing.

I have also been curious of my position on the merit list, but asking the recruiting center is talking to a brick wall. Oh well, I guess we just have to wait and see when the selections are announced.

Rams89 said:
but asking the recruiting center is talking to a brick wall.

Great attitude, mayhap that perception of yours is being shared by the staff talking to you.

I cannot count the number of applicants who appear to heed:

A) only the answer that they like

B) only the answer that this guy at work's best friend was told by some guy who said he knew a pilot once, and

C) only the answers told unto them by the guys who listened to A and B.

The Recruiting Centre folks won't answer your questions because they cannot.  They have no clue how your file stacks against someone from St-John's.  They only see your file in its raw form at their particular CFRC.  FWIW, the board is sitting right now - that is where they take all the applications that have made it past ASC and rate them.

Zoomie said:
The Recruiting Centre folks won't answer your questions because they cannot.  They have no clue how your file stacks against someone from St-John's.  They only see your file in its raw form at their particular CFRC.  FWIW, the board is sitting right now - that is where they take all the applications that have made it past ASC and rate them.

Thank you for that, Zoomie. Even if we did know where we sit on the merit list, would it really change anything? We will all know soon how we stack up... The way I see it, if you interview for a job in the private sector, you wouldn't be able to find out how competitive you are until they make a decision. Why should this be any different?

Hey guys.  Another wannabe pilot piping in.

Question that I couldn't find an -exact- answer for:

So I need eye surgery.  I also wish to apply to be pilot.  The CF now allows corrected surgery.  Can I apply to be pilot, then find out if I can be let in BEFORE I take this expensive surgery?  Kind of like, "OK, so you've done everything and you're great! Now go do the surgery, and if you pass that medical, you're in!"

Or is it a "Yeah, take that surgery... and uh... then apply"?

Thanks guys.  I do realize that it'll be near to impossible to actually get into pilot given the threads I've read, but I'm game to try.

Zoomie said:
FWIW, the board is sitting right now - that is where they take all the applications that have made it past ASC and rate them.

I realize it's a pain to answer individual questions, but hopefully this will help others too: since applications aren't being processed now, are those who aren't in front of this board SOL for this year should any spots be available in April?

rcdemoral said:
Hey guys.  Another wannabe pilot piping in.

Question that I couldn't find an -exact- answer for:

So I need eye surgery.  I also wish to apply to be pilot.  The CF now allows corrected surgery.  Can I apply to be pilot, then find out if I can be let in BEFORE I take this expensive surgery?  Kind of like, "OK, so you've done everything and you're great! Now go do the surgery, and if you pass that medical, you're in!"

Or is it a "Yeah, take that surgery... and uh... then apply"?

Thanks guys.  I do realize that it'll be near to impossible to actually get into pilot given the threads I've read, but I'm game to try.

If your vision is bad enough that you "need" the surgery to correct your vision, then there's no real sense in applying for pilot until after your uncorrected vision has stabilized. 

MM

lstpierre said:
Thank you for that, Zoomie. Even if we did know where we sit on the merit list, would it really change anything? We will all know soon how we stack up... The way I see it, if you interview for a job in the private sector, you wouldn't be able to find out how competitive you are until they make a decision. Why should this be any different?

In the private sector, the whole process from the date of application to finding out the result would typically take maybe a month at most. Here we are looking at years.
So in my opinion it does change some things.
For example if I knew I am 80th on the merit list, I would be applying to a different trade.
But because I don't know I have to assume that I have a shot. And I can't screw it up by going MARS or ATC or whatever, because possibility to transfer later is low.

On the upside, the worst of the wait is now over! Knowing that the board is sitting now as we speak and deciding our fate is exciting, yet unnerving. But hells am I looking forward to April and KNOWING!! Good luck to all the pilot candidates!

derekreid said:
I realize it's a pain to answer individual questions,

Unlike others - I don't find it painful to answer honest questions - that's why it says MENTOR under my name.  I have a vested interest in ensuring that the CF has a steady stream of pilot candidates - if I don't have anyone to instruct, my week goes by slowly.

... since applications aren't being processed now, are those who aren't in front of this board SOL for this year should any spots be available in April?

AFAIK the board sits twice a year - so if your file is still in the capable hands of your local CFRC, the board will not see it until the next time around.

medicineman said:
If your vision is bad enough that you "need" the surgery to correct your vision, then there's no real sense in applying for pilot until after your uncorrected vision has stabilized. 

Hm.  Fair enough.  These eyes have really caused me issues over the years, both on (not) becoming a fire fighter and now the military.  Time to work overtime, haha

Zoomie said:

When it comes to rating the apps, how important is previous flight experience?

Zoomie said:
AFAIK the board sits twice a year - so if your file is still in the capable hands of your local CFRC, the board will not see it until the next time around.

Well, damn, because the last time I sat down and spoke with my file manager (in January), he told me "Your file is complete but I can't merit list you because there's no positions.  If positions open up in April, then I can merit list you." In other words, my file is very much still in their capable hands, even though everything's done, and I guess that means I'm missing this boat too.

Any idea when the "next time around" might be?  I've been applying for almost a year and a half now and the suspense is killing me.  I just hope the Strategic Intake Plan comes with good news in April.

Mid Aged Silverback said:
LMAO!!
Well said !

I can't believe the thread has gone on as long as it has. I agree with MAS' sentiment as well.  :nod:

Back