• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Your Beer Brand of Choice

Olands Export. Notice its called Export, not Import :D Best beer in the world if you ask me. Brewed right here in Halifax. The Olands Brewery also brews Labatt (who owns Olands, and Olands owns Kieths) Keiths and Bud(American Recipe, but brewed by Labatt/Oland here in CA).

For those of you who like Rickards red, try Olands Red, its only in draught, so you won't find it bottled (as far as I know) so ask for it at your local pub, its the best red beer in my opinion.

If your ever in Halifax, make your way to Maxwell Plum's, a pub in downtown, has over 60 different beers from around the world all on tap. I've tasted many many imports, but none stack up to some of the local beer, specifically Keiths and Olands. But if I was to pick a fav import, it would be Hoegarden's. Its a white beer, its not filtered, and gives it a cloudy look. My girlfriend puts a lemon or lime in there ( like people do with Sol or Corona) which isn't too bad, but none of that for me, just beer please.

I have to tell this story.

In 1975, I was posted to Gagetown on my block driver course.  In those days, you came down for one very long course, (six or seven months), and learned to drive the jeep, the 3/4, the deuce and a half, the Ferret, and the Centurion.

My first trip east, ever.  Although I was an army brat, my dad was never posted east.  So, first free night, off to the mess I go.  Only to find out that Blue, Molson's and so on are "imported beers", and cost more.  I think that the local beers were 40 cents and the imported beer was 50 cents.  I find out that there are three local beers.  Moosehead, Alpine, and Schooner.  Hmmm.  Moosehead is a cool name, I think to myself.  So I proceed to get hammered on Moosehead.  Next day, I had a terrible headache.

Next time to the mess, I get hammered on Alpine.  I discovered the next day that Alpine worked pretty good.  For a laxative.

Third time around, Schooner.  It worked, or maybe I was getting used to the Maritimes, so for the rest of the course, I drank Schooner.  Now, I won't drink it, it tastes like the rest of the mass brands, Blue, Canadian and so on.

But, there's my tale of my first trip to the Maritimes!

Its funny you say Schooner tastes like Blue and the other mass beers. Olands owns Schooner, and of course, Labatt owns Olands. But I like Schooner, I find it a smooth ale thats light on the head the next day.

Depends on what mood I'm in...

Domestic: Molson Export, Rickard's Red
Import: Guinness, Becks, Hoegaarden

One thing I found curious the last time I was in Montreal was that I couldn't find Canadian anywhere.  Now granted, I didn't go out of my way searching for it, but still, it's the default in the rest of this country.

Well, another reason I don't drink Schooner, or Labatts, or Molson, is that they aren't Canadian.

It's funny, Moson's highly succesful ads showing the "Iam Canadian" theme, when Molson's is 50% owned by foreign firms.

Actually, the only fully Canadian owned major brewery is Moosehead.  And, no, I don't know what it takes to be called "major", but its true.  I know most of the micro-breweries are locally owned, and I support them a lot, and I do drink Moosehead Pale Ale when I'm curling.  But not the original Moosehead!  I still shudder when I think about my first trip east.

Just tried Rickard's Honey Brown a couple of weeks ago and have tried it several times since, wait there's some in my fridge right now...later guys
Greg :dontpanic:

Beer by market share:

"Molson says Canadian is still on top in Canada, but Labatt says Budweiser is the best seller. Here's how industry insiders say the top brands compare:

Budweiser: 10.5-11.5%

Canadian: 10.5-11.5%

Labatt Blue: 8.5-9.5%

Coors Light: 7.5-8.5%

Molson Dry: 3-4%

Molson Export: 2.5-3.5%

Keith's India Pale Ale: 2.5-3.5%

Kokanee: 2.5-3.5%

Heineken: 1.5-2.5%

Corona: 1-2%

SOURCE: INDUSTRY ESTIMATES

Can Molson salvage its flagship brand?

A Canadian vignette: Joe sits on his deck, bathed in the glimmer of a northern sunset, a loon calling in the distance, as he reaches for...a Budweiser. The King of Beers has all but dethroned Molson's legendary Canadian as the nation's No. 1 brew. Can the brand be rescued? Molson's very future is at stake KEITH McARTHUR reports.

$24: Price of 24 bottles of Lakeport Honey Lager in Ontario, plus deposit

$33.10: Price of 24 bottles of Molson Canadian in Ontario, plus deposit

1786: The year John Molson opened his first brewery on the banks of the St. Lawrence River

46.8%: Share of Brazilian market of total Molson sales, by volume, compared to 44.9% for Canada"

http://globeandmail.workopolis.com/servlet/Content/qprinter/20040710/RMOLSON10

Lance Wiebe said:
Well, another reason I don't drink Schooner, or Labatts, or Molson, is that they aren't Canadian.

It's funny, Moson's highly succesful ads showing the "Iam Canadian" theme, when Molson's is 50% owned by foreign firms.

Actually, the only fully Canadian owned major brewery is Moosehead.   And, no, I don't know what it takes to be called "major", but its true.   I know most of the micro-breweries are locally owned, and I support them a lot, and I do drink Moosehead Pale Ale when I'm curling.   But not the original Moosehead!   I still shudder when I think about my first trip east.

Actually I believe Molson Breweries is fully 100% Canadian owned, by Molson Inc.

Yep, it's family owned, but just last night, Global News said that they are giving serious thought to a 'merger of equals' with coors.

Well, not quite completely family owned.

Several years ago, it was highly publicised when two companies bought 60% of the ownership of Molson, shared between Australian (Foster's Brewing Group -- 40%) and American (Miller Brewing Company -- 20%) corporations.

Molsons does keep 51% of the voting stock, according to internet sources.

WHO'S THE SPILLY TALKER???

WHO, WHO?

IF we are talking Canadian beer my choice would have to be Waterloo Dark

If you are talking non domestic then i have two the firest being Hacker from Germany and Sapporo from Japan ;D

Yes, it is good to live in Waterloo, we can buy the beer right from the brick brewery.

My Favorite suds:

Domestic: Keith's Indian Pale Ale
  Import:    Guinness stout
  Micro-brew: any Big Rock ale

But if you ever find yourselves in Winnipeg Boys and Girls, I don't recommend you try Three Rivers or Fort Garry Dark Ale, because these beers look and taste like they were scooped right out of the Assiniboine River.

My favorites:

Domestic: Granville Iasland Lager or OK Spring Extra Special Pale Ale
Import: Chimay (Belgian trappist beer-made by monks!) or Kasteel (Belgian - 11% but still tasty!)
Yugo Pivo: Union - the can is red with silver letter - looks like a can of coke!

Scotch: Lagavulin or Glenmorangie (sherry or port cask)

Just to let y'all know..
Molsen and Coors are like.. what word am I looking for...
"Amalgamating" let's say.

Let the Molsen-Coors dynasty begin...

Can you imagine the new commercials though?

I AM NORTH AMERICAN...........eh?

yea that was actually in the news a bit...what would happen to Molson's ever popular ad campaign if they were to join forces with an American beer company.

Back