• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wrist Watch Recommendations - Merged Thread

If you guys are in a situation where you need to use your watch as a compass you better be religious and have some favors to call in :)

Hi All,

I am looking for a suggestion(s) for a new watch. Multi-purpose...diving etc etc...

Any suggestions from experience?

Cheers

pointy_end,

My suggestion is to go with a Timex Ironman watch. There are many different models from which to choose. They are not too expensive, are water-resistant, quite durable, etc. I bought one with all of the features that I wanted (and then some) for under $40.

You can find ‘em at Zellers, Wal-Mart, or just about any department store.

Cheers.

Rolex :D

Seriously either the Timex Ironman as already mentioned, or perhaps a Casio G Shock should fit the bill.

Cheap rugged and a few essential bells and whistles such as alarm, stop watch etc are all you need.

My Timex Expedition has been very good to me, and it‘s pretty inexpensive - I got it at WalMart for $45

However it wouldnt be good for diving, but there are lots of other Timex models that would be

Thanks Guys,

I was kinda thinking that the IronMan was the way to go - I have not had one in a while - since I was a kid really...but I remember them being reasonably rugged.

Cheers

The Timex Expedition I‘m wearing has an alarm, two time zones, date, digital plus old-fashioned hands, sez it‘s good to 100m, and "Indiglo" (which is really handy when you‘re all warm and cozy in your sleeping bag, trying to figure out how much more sleep you can get ... or when you‘re stumbling around in a dark tent and trying not to wake the sleeping guys who have loaded weapons ... ssshhh!)
It was really useful in Kabul before we had electricity, or when the generators went out (some dweebs actually had 110v radio/clock alarms that had to be reset when the generators hiccuped ... on an operation ... good grief ...)

It‘s also handy because it has a dark face (vice a white one that can be seen too easily by the wrong people ...).

I just happened to glance at my rather batterd Casio(which BTW has a spiffy button compass on the strap, because you can‘t use a digital for a makeshift compass like the ancient watches I learned to tell time with).

The note says "water resistant to 50 metres." Now considering I swim like a rock, this is good enough for me. I fugure if I accidentally find myself suddenly 50 metres underwater, the last thing on my mind will be does watch still work. :eek:

Casio Pathfinder - I find the barometer very useful, also has a compass, lights etc. But it has 4 batteries so when they go you are screwed. A cool watch for daring do in a bar with Bossi.
Rather than all that - I think the best one is a wind up watch and a keychain compass/lenatic compass at a good sports stores. BUSHNELL also makes a new line of all in one watches that put that Canex Piece of you know what to shame.

Herr Bossi - email me! :)

Hi,
Well I wore a timex when I was in the field and it was great the only bad thing about it is that the watch strap would smell after a few days of sweat. I think one of the most durable watches are seiko‘s. They are a little expensive but well worth it. they make great diving watches. I own a Seiko Kinetic Auto Relay , its an analog watch but it bsically runs on the motion of your arm so you never really need a battery change. even if you don‘t wear the watch for four years it will still remember the time for you. On another note I worked with watches and when they give you all that water resistant dpeth information its based on water pressure not actual depth. IF you see something with 30m it means you can take a shower with it or in a kitchen sink. 50 m would be a above ground pool. 100m would be ok for swimming in the ocean and light diving. If you‘re hard core scuba diving you will need a watch with 200m or greater.

some of the worlds best watches are swiss made Girard Perregaux is one brand. They can be very expensive, some in the million US dollar range very fancy etc. They do however make great military style watches, in the $300.00 to $700.00 these are an investment of a life time. I got hung up in collecting some of them myself, truly magnificent works. there are usually a few good ones on ë"bay check it out, they are vastly superior to the likes of Timex Seiko etc.

Another watch is the Nato Standard Military watch, as issued by GB, Ger. Fr. etc they are rugged they have a feature not seen usually on civvie watches in that even the second hand is stopped on time sychro. "E"bay has them srom time to time in the$70.00 to$300.00 range. One Brand is Zeno, and as noted it is very hard to beat the Swiss Army issue Wenger at about $60.00-$100.00 depending on features, I checked and there are several in the price range mentioned, and the acronym NIB stands for new in box. These beat the gadget watches all to ****.

$500.00 Esquire.
Looks great at the bar and someone will always have one of those fancy high tech GPS watches int he field with you (That DOESNT look good at the bar)

The Look Cool Factor (LFC) is paramount when considering the purchase of anything.

$10 Genuine Rolex

Almost as good looking at the bar and i‘ve got $490 left over for associated sundry items at the bar.

The thing about me is that I don‘t need a watch, but I‘m always 10 minutes early for anything I need to do.

Guess it‘s just instinct that I go with.

But I used to have alot of Timex watches. Most of them didn‘t last a year with football and hiking and such.

Timex is good. Most models are real cheap and you can wear them diving and swimming. They don‘t have alot of bells and whistles like GPS or compasses but they‘re reliable.

I have a "Timex Ironman Triathalon"-Great watch, I‘ve had it for 3 years I think, and I wear it when I do everything, including swimming and mountain biking, and i‘ve never had a problem with it. I‘ve even bashed it off of rocks a couple times during nasty wipeouts on my bike, and other than a few scratches on the face, its fine. And the scratches don‘t matter ‘cause i can still read the time. Anyways, its a very tough watch. Go for Timex

Originally posted by chk2fung:
[qb] Hi,
Well I wore a timex when I was in the field and it was great the only bad thing about it is that the watch strap would smell after a few days of sweat.[/qb]
Um, well obviously in this case it‘s a fabric strap correct?
I know on some models, (i.e. the one I had a year ago,) the strap is somehow removable and, if you can remove it, chuck it in the wash. Seeing as Timex is water resistant ect, you can just soak it in a sinkful of water..

I completely agree that Timex is by far the best. I forgot to add in my above post that Timex are cheap and you can find them literally EVERYWHERE.

So Timex should be your first choice, mhm mhm. *Nods* :p

Back