• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

GPS Watch 2019-2020 Thread

lptheriault

Inactive
Reaction score
Since the old discussion is from 2016, I am starting a new one.

I am looking for a GPS watch that will do the following:

- 14 days battery minimum (GPS does not have to be on all the time).
- MGRS compatible.
- Topo map if possible.
- LTE if possible.
- Can read, receive and send text messages.
- Good looking but functional.
- Touch screen if possible.

I have been looking at the following watch:

- Garmin tactix bravo and charlie
- Garmin fenix 5 and 6
- Suunto core

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to try any of those because of where I live (cannot find any of those in store).

What is your experience with those, any other recommendation that would fit the list ? This watch will go trough infantry work.

Ultimately the goal is to find a watch that I will be able to use in the field as well as in my civilian life, is that realistic or do I need two separate watch ?

Thank you.

Well, I bought the Garmin Tactix Chalie (from Canex). I should receive it shortly. I will post my review here.

[quote author=infantrynbman]

Ultimately the goal is to find a watch that I will be able to use in the field as well as in my civilian life, is that realistic or do I need two separate watch ?

Thank you.
[/quote]

I've settled on a $50 Timex ironman and Garmin 401 GPS for the field.

The short battery life of smart watches are a real turn off for me as is carrying an $800-$1000 piece of electronics on my wrist that is a shadow of the functionality of my $800-$1000 cell phone.

GPS watches are pretty cool for logging runs and listening to music (letting you leave your cell phone at home) but I'd leave navagating to dedicated electronics.

Watches get banged around pretty good doing infantry work.  I picked up a vevoactive for a day watch and find myself taking it off to go to the gym as I've had a few close calls.

Ymmv

I have a FakeBit, a $7 eBay watch that counts paces, takes BP and pulse, and shows the time.  And needs a charge every 3 days or so.  I too could not justify hundreds for a gimmick on my wrist.

A Garmin etrex can be had for a couple hundred bucks, smaller than a pack of smokes, runs on readily  available AA batteries, and has more features than you’ll ever need.

infantrynbman said:
Well, I bought the Garmin Tactix Chalie (from Canex). I should receive it shortly. I will post my review here.

I will be interested in that review, I hope you enjoy it :)

I like my watches

Abdullah

Back