• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Where to find para cord?

• Thread starter cameron_highlander
  • Start date
Just a Sig Op said:
Oh thank gosh a supply tech asked, as I was racking my brain trying to figure out those terms... as I was afraid they were somthing I ought to have known...

(Question was asked because of the following scenario... supp tech sgt A claimed that gun-tape was extremely hard to obtain, and claimed it would require multiple memos from chain of command. Supp tech sgt B laughed loudly accused A of being incompetent and lazy (A common oppinion) and stated "duct tape is all local purchase now" and all he needed was a signed training stores request and "I could go down to walmart and buy whatever you needed" I was curious as to the reality)

Sup Tech A is correct. Gun Tape is currently Ops Restricted. It is Depot Stocked, but Unit paid for. If your Unit needs to get some -- it can be gotten through the system ... if you can write up the paperwork to the SM (Supply Manager NDHQ) to justify the requirement for an Ops Restricted item and they support your request.

Sup Tech B obviously does NOT realize that if an item is "stocked" in the system that it is "ILLEGAL" to purchase it downtown. The CF ALREADY has a contract with a supplier to bring it into the depot in the first place -- buying it downtown from somewhere would put the CF "in breach of contract". Sup Tech B had better learn right quick just what centrally managed means. I also highly recommend that Sup Tech B redo their Acquisiton Card Holders examination ... and examine very carefully the regulations that they would have signed upon receiving that acquisition card.

There are a great many acquisition card holders who figure they can buy whatever they want downtown with no reprecussions -- but the sad fact is -- if it's in the system ... it is illegal to buy using that acquisition card. Just ask the numpty in these parts who figured it would be OK to purchase via LPO some camel backs for a QM in this LFA. They all sign for those cards -- and the user-agreements, Sup Tech or Combat Storesman -- it doesn't matter -- the rules are the same.

ArmyVern said:
SSI = Special Supply Instruction

"KM" is simply an indicator code which determines what the supply process is for ordering an item. There are craploads of different SSIs (or item advisory codes if you will).

Its just that I've never seen an IM advisory code which was "Alpha-Alpha" (as in "KM") but rather as "Alpha-Numeric" (1R, 1B, 3B, or what I suspect in this case: 4L)

Where is the SSI found? CGCM or the 101? Or, perhaps a remnant of the old system? ;D

(PS: sorry for the hijack)

ArmyVern said:
Sup Tech A is correct. Gun Tape is currently Ops Restricted. It is Depot Stocked, but Unit paid for. If your Unit needs to get some -- it can be gotten through the system ... if you can write up the paperwork to the SM (Supply Manager NDHQ) to justify the requirement for an Ops Restricted item and they support your request.

Sup Tech B obviously does NOT realize that if an item is "stocked" in the system that it is "ILLEGAL" to purchase it downtown. The CF ALREADY has a contract with a supplier to bring it into the depot in the first place -- buying it downtown from somewhere would put the CF "in breach of contract". Sup Tech B had better learn right quick just what centrally managed means. I also highly recommend that Sup Tech B redo their Acquisiton Card Holders examination ... and examine very carefully the regulations that they would have signed upon receiving that acquisition card.

So is there a distinction made between "gun-tape" and "duct-tape"? (For the sake of argument, let's call gun tape the traditional green tape, and duct-tape the silver stuff). If so, is "duct-tape" purchased locally?

Just a Sig Op said:
So is there a distinction made between "gun-tape" and "duct-tape"? (For the sake of argument, let's call gun tape the traditional green tape, and duct-tape the silver stuff). If so, is "duct-tape" purchased locally?

There is a very big difference between duct tape and gun tape.

I have no clue what the current status is for "duct tape" .... but I suspect that it is "LL" (locally managed/locally finded) ... LPO

No mil specs involved with duct tape ... while gun tape that the CF utilizes does conform to mil specs; cripes it holds hercs together over the Balkans!!

Duct tape only works to hold Red Green's shit together.

ArmyVern said:
There is a very big difference between duct tape and gun tape.

I have no clue what the current status is for "duct tape" .... but I suspect that it is "LL" (locally managed/locally finded) ... LPO

No mil specs involved with duct tape ... while gun tape that the CF utilizes does conform to mil specs.

Then the whole mess makes sense now as a matter of semantics. As all we needed was duct-tape, and that's what Sgt B supplied us with.

At the same time, Sgt A was right about the gun tape. Though he remains a well noted tit.

Thanks for the info. Always appreciated.

4P - CENTRALLY MANAGED/LOCALLY PROC & FUNDED
4L - LOCALLY MANAGED/LOCALLY PROCURED
4N - CENTRALLY MANAGED NORMAL REQUISITION

4L... Come on... say it.... ;)

Just a Sig Op said:

I'm not sure... The "centrally managed Local Procurement" or "centrally managed Normal Requisition" (ie: the duct-tape thats in the system) would probably be either metallic grey or OD Green.

FWIW, I've seen all colors in the rainbow of duct-tape LPO'd. (I'm not saying its right) I would imagine that if the requirement was put forward for a specific colour of Duct-Tape which was not stocked "in the system" (blue, red or yellow for arguements sake) and it is not 4N or 4P IM Advisory's (if it had an NSN/PSCN), it could be LPO'd without a problem.

Just a Sig Op said:
Then the whole mess makes sense now as a matter of semantics. As all we needed was duct-tape, and that's what Sgt B supplied us with.

At the same time, Sgt A was right about the gun tape. Though he remains a well noted tit.

Thanks for the info. Always appreciated.

He was only a "tit" in this circumstance -- if you asked for duct tape.

If you asked for Gun tape (as your post says) ... Sgt B was the "tit."  ;)

ArmyVern said:
He was only a "tit" in this circumstance -- if you asked for duct tape.

No, Sgt A was right in this circumstance. It's under all other circumstances he's a tit

The important part is Sgt B got us what we needed to do what we needed to do. Sgt A did not. And remains a tit. (Most people who've ever had to deal with him have a lengthy list of reasons they'd be happy to provide).

Either way, thanks again for the info. Always appreciate your expertise.

Just a Sig Op said:
No, Sgt A was right in this circumstance. It's under all other circumstances he's a tit

The important part is Sgt B got us what we needed to do what we needed to do. Sgt A did not. And remains a tit. (Most people who've ever had to deal with him have a lengthy list of reasons they'd be happy to provide).

Either way, thanks again for the info. Always appreciate your expertise.

People can always be classified as "tits" ... especially when they ask for something different than what they actually want or require!!  >:D

Just a Sig Op said:
So is there a distinction made between "gun-tape" and "duct-tape"? (For the sake of argument, let's call gun tape the traditional green tape, and duct-tape the silver stuff).

That is an interesting point, and one that applies not only to gun tape/duct tape, but many other items that people want to buy off the shelf and have accepted for use.

So, the question is: "What are the Mil Specs for gun tape, and does commercial duct tape meet them?

Michael O`Leary said:
So, the question is: "What are the Mil Specs for gun tape, and does commercial duct tape meet them?

Commercial Duct tape doesn't meet CF stocked Gun Tape mil specs.

Some commercial "Gun Tape" however does conform with our gun tape mil specs.

2 different beasts 'gun' & 'duct' tape all together. One is cheap ... one is not cheap by any stretch of the imagination.

Michael O`Leary said:
That is an interesting point, and one that applies not only to gun tape/duct tape, but many other items that people want to buy off the shelf and have accepted for use.

As for the Mil Specs - I don't know.

There IS, however, a commercial tape which (from what I can see and tell) IS the equivalent - but it's not "Duct Tape" or that other crap out there called "Duck Tape".  For the life of me I don't recall what it's called - metal bashers where I used to work used it, and it was acquired through a commercial supply chain somewhere (IE - not readily available for retail sales).  Interestingly enough, it was the equivalent (to my admittedly unschooled perception) to the OLD gun tape that was in the system (that was infused with fabric and not as "rubbery" as the gun tape that was current in the system when I left four years ago).

Roy

Edited to add:  I see Vern got there first - she's fast, that girl.

Gaffer's tape Roy?

Silver or other colours, poly-coated material waterproofed backing?

ArmyVern said:
Gaffer's tape Roy?

Silver or other colours, poly-coated material waterproofed backing?

Could be the same stuff, Vern.  I didn't work with it myself - I was in the Cabinet shop, the tin bashers were in a different part of the plant - I just got to know a couple of them fairly well.

The point being, that I'm pretty sure the stuff is available on civvy street - probably not in any "normal" retail store, though.  As you pointed out, it's prohibitively expensive, and probably only a tradesman who needed it for his job would be willing to pay for it.

Roy

Gorilla tape probably. Try sticking gun tape to concrete and see what happens.

http://www.process-controls.com/raebrooke/adhesives_tape.html

For some odd reason the company link is down.

Regards

I don't know, you could well be right - as I said earlier, I was only passingly aware of its existence.

"Gorilla Tape" sounds like a "consumer oriented" name - much like "Gorilla Glue" - polyurethane glue has been around for quite a while - just not marketed to the "home handy man" until "Gorilla Glue" came along.  (And glue and adhesives are something I DO know something about  ;))

Gun, Duct, or Gaffer's tape.

It is an industry related names for the same product.

Gun = Military (duh)
Duct = Industry
Gaffer = Entertainment.

Yes there are various grades and strengths, however only the performance over a wide range of temperatures, both indoors and outdoors will work for all three of the above. It has to have the highest tensile strength (Pulling strength) of but still tears by hand with ease. It must be water, and oil proof and have a high grip strength that will allow it stay on the items that are being bonded, yet be able to be removed without much effort or use of another product (such as chemicals).

Pro Gaff or Shure tapes Permacel brand are some of the top products out there right now.

The cheap stuff from home harsware, was actually the orignal product, but with new innovations, has been less used in the top industries I mention.

hmmm I wonder if I say the gack for a living.....

dileas

tess

Gaffers tape is lovely stuff... the good stuff holds firm, doesn't leave residue, AND comes in a matte finish... and it too was damned near impossible to get your hands on (I used to work in the television industry... and again, we generally got duct-tape... which sufficed for most needs... taping cables to the floor, etc... but for lighting and set work, nothing was quite as good as proper gaffers tape).

Quite right - now that 48th and Just a Sig Op have jogged my memory - I recall using "Gaffers Tape" when I was backstage as a volunteer during a local music/dance festival.  I mentioned at the time that it reminded me of Gun tape - although you're right, Sig Op - a matte finish which didn't reflect the lights.  The theatre manager and I good naturedly agreed to call it whatever worked for us - so I called it Gun Tape.

All that said - didn't seem to be the same quality of stuff I recall the tin bashers using in my old work-place - but I could well be wrong, or, as 48th mentioned, there are different grades out there.

Roy

Back