• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Where to find para cord?

• Thread starter Thread starter cameron_highlander
  • Start date Start date
Just a Sig Op said:
Gaffers tape is lovely stuff... the good stuff holds firm, doesn't leave residue, AND comes in a matte finish... and it too was damned near impossible to get your hands on (I used to work in the television industry... and again, we generally got duct-tape... which sufficed for most needs... taping cables to the floor, etc... but for lighting and set work, nothing was quite as good as proper gaffers tape).

That's Cloth tape, or "Camera" tape, and is 3 times more expensive than Gaffers/Duct/Gun tape.

How much do you need, and what colour?  They come in cases of 24, and I can ship anywhere.

dileas

tess

the 48th ghost of christmas past said:
That's Cloth tape, or "Camera" tape, and is 3 times more expensive than Gaffers/Duct/Gun tape.

How much do you need, and what colour?  They come in cases of 24, and I can ship anywhere.

Don't need any now. Been out of the television business for a while, all about the gun tape now :)

Just a Sig Op said:
Don't need any now. Been out of the television business for a while, all about the gun tape now :)

Nemo Problema, however I do have olive drab.

As for the other stuff $5.00 per roll, Olive Drab. . . . army.ca special.

dileas

tess

I've heard that one thing that Duct tape is no good for is heating ducts. The high temperatures turn the adhesive to a gooey mess.

Nope, Mike Holmes would crucify you upside down with your head in a bucket of your own poop.  The shiny heat tape is the stuff.  I believe it was originally called "duck" tape, because water rolled off it.  "Duct"  was a linguistic screwup that just, err, stuck.

No, it was duct tape (although there is "Duck TapeTM" brand duct tape as well.  As AJFitzpatrick said, though, the aluminized metal duct tape is what the pros actually use on HVAC ducting.

G2G

Yes.

Etymology

The origin of the term "duct tape" is the subject of some disagreement.

One view[12][13] is that it was called "duck tape" by WWII soldiers because it was made from cotton duck, which their tents, tarpaulins, ponchos and other equipment were made from. The word "duck" was commonly used for camping equipment fabrics until synthetics replaced cotton. Some suggest that the waterproof quality of the tape contributed to the name, by analogy to the water-shedding quality of a duck's plumage. Under this view, soldiers returning home from the war found uses for duck tape around the house, where tents were forgotten and ductwork needed sealing, not ammunition cases. Other proponents of this view point to older references to non-adhesive cotton duck tape used in Venetian blinds, suggesting that the name was carried over to the adhesive version. The OED says that perhaps "duct tape" was originally "duck tape." This view is summarized most notably in a New York Times article by etymologist William Safire in March of 2003. Safire cites use of the term "cotton duck tape" in a 1945 ad for surplus government property.

The other view is that "duct tape" is the original term, since there are many documented uses of that term which pre-date all documented uses of the term "duck tape" for the adhesive-backed product (other than Safire's 1945 ad), and that there is no written evidence supporting the WWII story.[14] Some proponents of this view accept the idea that there was an earlier non-adhesive "duck tape", but claim that people have just confused the similar pronunciation of two similar but unrelated products through the process of elision, and that the rest of the "duck" etymology is folklore or fabrication. This view was summarized most notably in a Boston Globe article by etymologist Jan Freeman, also in March of 2003.

From wikipedia... I know , but it's late, and I've got  a West Edmonton Mall Boxing Day Headache (tm)

any body have any red 550 cord lyin round? I only need a foot tops?
just curious before I go out and invest.

I know people who just go on ebay, search 550 cord and buy around 300feet of it at a time for around 30 dollars. I've used the ones they've gotten and it works great.

If you want actual "parachute" cord.. or suspension line as its actually called. Look for spectra/microline, dacron, vectran, or even nylon. You can get it up to 1575lb  tensile strength.

http://paragear.com/templates/parachutes.asp?group=32&level=2&parent=193

Gaffers tape can be found at Lee Valley
www.leevalley.ca  search on "gaffer"
Great stuff

I think I have the last 2 rolls of 550 cord the military had, I took them from Germany when we closed out the bases in 93, still have a roll or so kicking around in the basement somewhere.

Gun tape is great for body work, used half a roll and some bondo to hold together my old Beemer I brought back from germany, also great for sealing air leaks in your house windows are among just a few of the many other uses for it.

Re: Where to find para cord?

In a Parachute of course ;D

Couldn't resist

Back