• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What to do...what to do...

Baloo

Reaction score
Well, hey everyone. Wasn't sure where to put this, so...I threw it here.

Anyhow, these last few weeks I have been getting a newfound sense in me that I want to join the Reg Force right after I am done high school, and then continue on my life plan. Before, I always swore to myself that I would stay a Reservist my whole life, aside from hoping to manage an overseas tour at some point. Regardless, my plan was always to head off to university/college, and after that get a job with the RCMP/OPP/Peel Regional Police. Now, I want to join up, do my service, and continue after that.

I just want to know, seeing as I have to make this decision rather quickly, is this even possible? Is there anyone who knows if I can go, then try to revert back to the life I was planning? I don't even know if this is just a quick, once in awhile urge that I will end up regretting in two years. Is going to the army at 18, then getting back to university and a career possible, or what? Any feedback would be great.

PS. If I did do this, I would want to try my current trade, infantry in the Regs. I won't talk about which regiment I would prefer, as I have heard all of the talk of choosing and such, but in the Vandoo's, does one need to be fluent French, or what?

I think quite a few people join the army to get money for their schooling after their done. My plan was to join the army and then stay in if I really like it or leave after my times up and use the money I get to go to back to school. If you're planning on joining after you're done high school then you'll still have plenty of time to do your schooling after. For RCMP I think they prefer people who are older and have more life experience. If you're enjoying the reserves then why not join the Reg Force.

A small point that I believe was brought up somewhere on the site...I do not THINK it is possible to be a reservist AND RCMP at the same time.  I believe that since both are federal gov't jobs, it would be difficult to call you up as a reservist because of your obligation to the RCMP.  That's the jist of it...I don't know the full details.  It's on the site somewhere...I searched but could not find.

Dingbat is right, once you go RCMP, the reserves are out.  Soooo, if you want to be in the military, then the military you shall be I guess, although, I'm not sure about OPP, as they are provincial, but you should be able to remain in the reserves and be part of a municipal police force as well.  That is my plan anyway, joining either the Vancouver Police Department, or Delta Police Department (BC for those who have no clue where either of those places are). 

But yeah, you cannot be part of any two government agencies at the same time, we lost a good soldier from my unit to the RCMP.

Not being able to be in the rcmp and reserves have something to do with the fact the rcmp is a queens commision...cant have two or some such?

Mischiefz said:
Not being able to be in the rcmp and reserves have something to do with the fact the rcmp is a queens commision...cant have two or some such?

Well not necessairly...NCOs in the army don't commisions from the Queen.  Only officers.  I believe it's as Gilligan stated you can't be a part of 2 federal agencies at the same time.  I THINK municpal police and reserves is okay...just not federal.

Both the RCMP and the CF are officially "Armed Forces" of the Federal Gov't. As such, service in both at the same time is a Conflict of Interest and not allowed. You can belong to a Provincial or Municipal police force and still belong to the Reserves, though you will likely have to disclose your Reserve service to your employer.

Back