• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What camps should there be?

rmc_wannabe said:
How about a comms course? I'm not talking about a "oh lets dick around with a FRS and pretty we're cool" course, i'm talking field expediant antennas, PROPER voice procedure, and different forms of radio (HF,VHF,HAMM...all non CCI ofcourse). I wouldn't mind that asking for the summer. . .

Money and equipment.

This was looked at some time ago... if you want the entire CTP let me know.

Wilderness First Aid Course for the Cadet Program

End state:
1. To provide the Cadet / CIC Officer with the skills to perform competent first aid in the wilderness environment.
2. To allow the Cadet / CIC Officer to further the growth of their first aid knowledge within the Cadet Program.
3. To increase the practical exposure to first aid techniques in the simulated wilderness setting.

Completion:

Upon successful completion of the course and written examination the candidate will receive a certificate of competency in wilderness first aid. Should the candidate complete the course and not complete the written examination the candidate will receive a certificate of attendance on the wilderness first aid course.

Prerequisites for attendance: - Standard First Aid and CPR level A
- 16 years of age (or lower with Chief Instructor's Permission)
- Commanding Officer's recommendation
- A bronze physical fitness standard
- A mark of 85% on the Standard First Aid Pretest (completed
              before attendance)

Prerequisites for instructors:
- Chief Instructor:  FAI, Advanced First Aid, wilderness experience
- Instructors: FAI, wilderness experience

Enjoy,

MC

MC,

IF this program ever takes off, I would STRONGLY suggest to NOT go the SJA route. ANYONE with a good amount of experience in the field will tell you that although SJA is great for teaching people EFA and SFA, and even in those areas they are a little lacking at times, their so called "Wilderness" FA is merely a course TAUGHT in the wilderness, NOT what you would think a WFA would be.

My 0.02 educated cents.

Cheers,

MT.

The program was proposed in 2000, and only took off to a limited degree (in that is was partially incorporated into some adventure type camp in Ontario by some of the authors). 

The SJA Wilderness program was the basis, as that was part of the statement of requirements.  It was deviated from (to increase the value of the program and depth of learning) but still covered the mandatory parts of the program in order to allow for the granting of a SJA Wilderness First Aid certificate.  I suspect this was done in order to allow the cadet to take something tangible away from the program. 

The SJA Wilderness program is not the gold standard but is not a bad starting point for someone new to Wilderness First. Aid  Look at the textbook (Merry, W.  [1997]. St. John Ambulance Official Wilderness First Aid Guide. Toronto, Canada: McClelland & Stewart) which is now a little dated, and the level of complexity from SJA standard, or military first aid are markedly increased, as well as the propensity for an austerity focus.  Some of the chapters include a how to give "second aid", moving a casualty to shelter, dental problems, little bit on medications, air evac, management of abdominal pain, etc.  This is not a bad next step.  Not the perfect solution, not the solution I would teach to any of my clients going into the bowels of hell, but not a bad first step. If you build on it with other sources, practical experience, departure from the SJA of mediciations and advanced procedures you can make something useful.

Having done expedition medicine (both in and outside the army) for some years now including to the Arctic, mountains, and in the jungle in Central America I can assure you it is not the 100% solution but it is a good, low-cost (material is in the system, including instructor standards, manuals, certificates, etc) way to introduce someone who is ready to take the leap from the comfort of the SJA Standard First Aid to the next Wilderness step (non-Advanced First Aid program) if they are not about to hop on an aircraft and go looking for oil in the Brazilian jungle.

If you are really interested in developing a medical summer camp for Army Cadets let me know and we can work something out. I have some ideas I am willing to share. 

Cheers,

MC

NL_engineer said:
I don't think this is a good idea, due to SAFETY, for a standard bridge such as a MGB or Accrow (a 1000 lbs part being lifted by 8, 12 year olds for example = major safety infraction IMO) plus the requirement for at least 4 Engineer (reg of reserve) MCPLs or above to supervise.
If they were going to build an NSB it would be alright, but then you get into the issue of tools etc.
and don't ask about the explosives, as that is WAY out of the question.
Just my 2 cents

(Whats an NSB? I'm out of my lane, Engineer wise)

Really good points - I was , of course not even THINKING of explosives - because that's a little silly.
The major stopping points are Personal, hardware and managed risk vs reward/experience - I was thinking about
Log bridges we built in the National Parks system in the 80's (With Cadets at Banff) and other backcountry "parks projects"
that still stand today. Not so much "Military Engineering".
But to pull this off - as with any good course - you need really good instructors - and with our Engineers very busy overseas and supporting the mission, I cant see that this would be a good use of talent.

MedTech said:
MC,

IF this program ever takes off, I would STRONGLY suggest to NOT go the SJA route. ANYONE with a good amount of experience in the field will tell you that although SJA is great for teaching people EFA and SFA, and even in those areas they are a little lacking at times, their so called "Wilderness" FA is merely a course TAUGHT in the wilderness, NOT what you would think a WFA would be.

My 0.02 educated cents.

Cheers,

MT.

I have done a wilderness first aid course in the past, and it is a good course.  It didn't suffer from standard SJA problems (over kill, triangular bandages, the you can't do that, etc), and it was a good course none of the dumb video's.

The course may have changed since I did it.  But here are some of the basics

-Part of the course is using improvised materials
-Part is rescue/ extraction of a casulity
-Part is long term care

rmc_wannabe said:
How about a comms course? I'm not talking about a "oh lets dick around with a FRS and pretty we're cool" course, i'm talking field expediant antennas, PROPER voice procedure, and different forms of radio (HF,VHF,HAMM...all non CCI ofcourse). I wouldn't mind that asking for the summer. . .

If they get you your HAMM and VHF radio licenses it would be a good course.  If it covers the different civilian stuff out there (RRBs, antenna's etc) it would make it better.

But IMO if it would require the military radio's and equipment it should be a no go as this kit is required by the troops.

cdn031 said:
(Whats an NSB? I'm out of my lane, Engineer wise)

Really good points - I was , of course not even THINKING of explosives - because that's a little silly.
The major stopping points are Personal, hardware and managed risk vs reward/experience - I was thinking about
Log bridges we built in the National Parks system in the 80's (With Cadets at Banff) and other backcountry "parks projects"
that still stand today. Not so much "Military Engineering".
But to pull this off - as with any good course - you need really good instructors - and with our Engineers very busy overseas and supporting the mission, I cant see that this would be a good use of talent.

You answered your own question.  an NSB or Non Standard Bridge is any other bridge that is/can be made without using bridges like the Accrow, MGB, etc.

This could be a good Idea.  But bridging is becoming a lost art in the Engineers  :'(

MedCorps said:
Having done expedition medicine (both in and outside the army) for some years now including to the Arctic, mountains, and in the jungle in Central America I can assure you it is not the 100% solution but it is a good, low-cost (material is in the system, including instructor standards, manuals, certificates, etc) way to introduce someone who is ready to take the leap from the comfort of the SJA Standard First Aid to the next Wilderness step (non-Advanced First Aid program) if they are not about to hop on an aircraft and go looking for oil in the Brazilian jungle.
If you are really interested in developing a medical summer camp for Army Cadets let me know and we can work something out. I have some ideas I am willing to share. 
Cheers,

MC

As an Instructor / Platoon Commander at Banff in the 80's I found the "Medicine for Mountaineering"
By James Wilkerson (ISBN 0898867991) an awesome resource, as we would find our selves 2 days on a trail from anywhere and
at altitudes that were not so Helicopter friendly.

I'm very interested - I will PM you

MC, don't get me wrong I think the concept would be good, however the execution of the program would need more thought and planning. I would LOVE to chat with you on the matter at hand, as I'm sure you clinical expertise and other medical knowledge will make me look foolish ;D none the less I am greatly interested in bringing the Cadet program back on to track and offer the students something good in return as well. Another thought is NOT to limit this prgoram to just Army Cadets, as Air Cadets and Sea cadets will benefit GREATLY from this as well.

Cheers!

MT

NL_engineer said:
If they get you your HAMM and VHF radio licenses it would be a good course.  If it covers the different civilian stuff out there (RRBs, antenna's etc) it would make it better.

But IMO if it would require the military radio's and equipment it should be a no go as this kit is required by the troops.

I know out here in Alberta, NARC will provides instruction and equipment to learn on IRT HAMM radio, the only cost is manuals for instruction (one time purcase). I agree also that military equip shouldn't be used, but once again, one time purchase of civi comms equip if the course gets off the ground.

If anyone is familiar with the sea cadet Medical Assistant course (which ran until 3-5 years ago), there may be some useful information on this subject to be had from that.

Thought I would bring this one back to life, as it's a great thread that deserves some attention in my opinion.

It seems some of the posters in here attended the Wilderness Leadership course in the '80s, at CFB Petawawa. I did this course in '86, it was by far likely one of my best experiences as a cadet. It was well run, a nice combined effort between (CIL back then) Officers and Reg force staff on loan from the SSF. A completely 100% (field) immersed program, this is something in need of these days in my opinion in the cadet program. Not counting my 2 summers at Ipperwash in '85 and '85, I also attended Leadership & Challenge in Banff in '87, Para in '88 and then Staff in '89 at Ipperwash on the Wilderness Leadership Basic course. All I can tell you is that WLC in '86 was my favourite summer training experience.

If anyone is interested in the ideas from a few years back on the The Cadet Emergency Care Course see here:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/70642.0.html

MC

For the older Cdts who have a drivers license / L or N (In BC) how about a Basic vehicle mechanics or maintenance course (like how to change a spare tire, check/change the oil, what to do in case of an accident (the documentation and the safety involved ie: fluids leaking from the vehicle after a crash

add in how to recover a vehicle in the bush that's stuck in the mud, using a winch/winch points, come-alongs, the dangers of using a hook vs a shackel) for those that weren't as lucky as me having a good stepdad.

Bring more options to let Cdts (that want to) help out in the Kitchens for the summer or at supply  (dangerous, yes but it offers valid and relevant work experience. Work experience that could count towards graduation.

Get Nautical said:
For the older Cdts who have a drivers license / L or N (In BC) how about a Basic vehicle mechanics or maintenance course (like how to change a spare tire, check/change the oil, what to do in case of an accident (the documentation and the safety involved ie: fluids leaking from the vehicle after a crash

add in how to recover a vehicle in the bush that's stuck in the mud, using a winch/winch points, come-alongs, the dangers of using a hook vs a shackle) for those that weren't as lucky as me having a good stepdad.

Bring more options to let Cdts (that want to) help out in the Kitchens for the summer or at supply  (dangerous, yes but it offers valid and relevant work experience. Work experience that could count towards graduation.
We used to have that Course called MSE Operators ran in Borden till the late 80's

my72jeep said:
We used to have that Course called MSE Operators ran in Borden till the late 80's
Pretty sure one of the cadets from my Corps took that in '84 in Bordan, tried to talk me into taking it. He ended up a signal in the reg force, I think he's a Master Warrant now in Kingston, about to retire.

In my opinion, it would be difficult to offer a search and rescue course and a field medic course as you need higher than first aid to do these jobs.. It would be more of a real job than a cadet camp. Most of these link to physical fitness though, and everyone knows what options are available for that. Survival course is Adventure, where in Valcartier you can also get your life guard license if you apply for it and go to the beach near the base for a few days  ;D You can also get your scuba diving license in the Caymen Islands (exchange). I do believe there was a badge for scuba diving before, as well as a medic assistant badge from 1978 until 1992. Too bad it isn't offered anymore  :(

CadetRac said:
There still is a badge for scuba diving, its just uncommon.

This badge is currently only authorized for sea cadets, IAW CATO 35-01 (it's not listed in CATO 46-01 (army) or CATO 55-04 (air), and therefore not authorized). That said, the sea cadet dress regulations have not been updated since 1994, and are currently being revamped. While I am not certain, it's my guess that this will be removed from the new CATO upon its release.

It's still in the system and approved for issue to sea cadets who've completed a certain level of civilian SCUBA certification. Can't remember if, to receive the badge, you must complete the training as a cadet, or if proof of qualification is sufficient. Suspect it's the latter.

Proof of Qual sent through channel's to the common training Officer signed off by the RCO (REGONAL CADET OFFICER) and then the badge is awarded.
I've seen then in all three color's so they may be still there for army and air too.

Back