• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What book are you reading now?

PMedMoe said:
If you like those, you'll probably like the "Dream of Eagles" series by Jack Whyte.  Which I am re-reading now.

http://www.camulod.com/node/715

Thank you.
I just picked up a copy of The Forest Laird by that author, although I have not started it yet.
It's supposed to be about William Wallace.

I have been reading this book while at sea this month.  Soldier Sahibs by Charles Allen. 

SOLDIER SAHIBS is the astonishing story of a brotherhood of young men who together laid claim to the most notorious frontier in the world, the North-West Frontier, which today forms the volatile boundary between Pakistan and Afghanistan.

A review of the book is at this site.  http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2710222-soldier-sahibs

Anyone who has been in this area of the world and/or is interested in the history of the area should enjoy this book.

"God Is Not Great. How Religion Poisons Everything" by Christopher Hitchens

It's pretty good but sometimes Mr. Hitchens tends to ramble

The Lion, the Fox and the Eagle by Carol Off

It's about peacekeeping in Sarajevo and Rwanda and the international courts' prosecution of those responsible for genocide. It's an outstanding read and I highly recommend it!

Donald Kehn Jr: A Blue Sea of Blood

Wow, I thought I knew my Naval history. This is the story of USS Edsall and her most unlucky crew in the early years following 7 Dec. I was absolutely humbled to say the least.

Finally got around to reading " A Soldier First" by Rick Hillier...got it for Christmas a couple of years ago.  Had a few things ahead of it first to read though...

Thanks for the tip re the Goodwood book. The operation was studied by both the Brits and the Americans in the early 80s for insights into defending against masses of armour supported by artillery and air. One thing to keep in mind is that the actual ground the Brits put three armoured divisions over one after the other is about the size of the Lawfield Corridor in Gagetown.

Got 2 on the go but ones audio (listen while I work overnights), Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen and Worst Case by James Patterson.

-T.

Right now, I've moved on to "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" by Phillip K. Dick.

The film Blade Runner was based off of it and the premise is pretty much the same, but the novel has a bit of a different spin on certain things. Definitely read the novel and then watch the film. Blade Runner can be pretty confusing, but with that extra bit of depth from the novel, it makes a whole lot more sense. My only complaint about the novel is that it doesn't really convey that incredible atmosphere as seen in the film.

Just  finished the first two in a trilogy

51WKtL53YVL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

and

51UcnURKtfL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The third isn’t out yet. Not too bad alternate history post 9/11 storyline

Danjanou said:
Just  finished the first two in a trilogy

51WKtL53YVL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

and

51UcnURKtfL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The third isn’t out yet. Not too bad alternate history post 9/11 storyline

Read them earlier this year.  Try his other book series as well.  The axis of time trilogy:  Weapons of Choice, Desiginated Targets and Final Impact.  Well worth the effort.  I enjoyed these more than his After America series.

Those Birmingham books look really good.

Not long ago, I read a book titled One Second After by William R Forstchen.
The basic premise is what would happen if some unknown party detonated a nuke high enough above the US to generate an electromagnetic pulse and take out all electronics. Interesting scenario (fun to contemplate if you're annoyed by people who are addicted to their little text-messaging thingys).

Another semi post-apocalyptic story I read recently was Patriots by James Wesley Rawles. He's your arch typical Idaho survivalist. Fun reading for gun guys, right wingers or anyone who just loves a good collapse-of-society story. 

Live from the battlefield, by Peter Arnett.

It's an autobiography of a journalist. I wasn't too sure about it when I picked it up, but upon further investigation found it had pictures, so, Lineman approved.  :P

FlyingDutchman said:
I am taking a slower read through of Ghost Stories by Jim Butcher.

That's actually in que next for me to read! Lol. Friend of mine told me bout his books :)

-T.

1.  I just finished book 3 of the Song of Ice and Fire series (HBO's Game of Thrones was book 1.)  I'm usually not a fantasy fan, but this has great "down-to-earth" medieval-intrigue storylines...except for the dragons and zombies.  :D

The thing is, I don't know how many more major characters the author can kill off seemingly at random before the entire storyline just falls apart  ???

2.  I hope whoever in KAF Canada House who picked up my donated copy of "The Dirt on Clean" enjoys it.  A bit of (an apt) bathroom-reader on how the western world viewed "being clean" from the Greeks onwards, and made me realize that Europe must have smelled like a big armpit until fairly recently.  Yum.

Sometimes you just need to escape anything that has to do with reality and just enjoy some pure escapism. In that vein (pardon the pun) Presently reading Kim Harrison's  Dead Witches Tell No Tales (two stories in one - Every Which Way But Dead and A Fistful of Charms. If you like Charlene Harris' Southern Vampire series (aka True Blood) you will probably like this series.

Back