• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What book are you reading now?

Bernard Cornwell is pretty damn good.  I just wish he'd put Sharp to bed.  Not that I didn't like his first run at the character and did manage to keep him fresh for about thirteen novels--no small feat in itself. 

Danjanou said:
Juat finished
captivate_tn.jpg

I highly recommend it, A historical novel based on the Penobscot Expedition during the American Revolutionary War.

I picked this one up earlier this year to read in Los Cabos. Good read, and you will never feel quite the same about one of the main characters when you see the other side of his legend as written by Walt Whittman, the grandson of one of the other main characters. Hint - one if by land, and two if by sea.

Just finishing, "A Talent for Genius: The life and times of Oscar Levant".
Lots of amazing stories. For example, 14 days after she divorced him, his first wife married the wealthy son of the founder of the Loew's theatre chain. Oscar phoned them at 2 A.M. on their wedding night. "What's playing at Loew's State ( New York City ) and what time does the feature go on?" he demanded when his ex answered the phone!
Telling the story years later, she said she roared with laughter.

Danjanou said:
Juat finished
captivate_tn.jpg

I highly recommend it, A historical novel based on the Penobscot Expedition during the American Revolutionary War.

Great book.  I just finished it.  Now I'm reading this to compliment:

51LXiua7HRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I've recently come to a fascination with Fascist Italy and to that end I'm currently reading
- Hitler's Italian Army by MacGregor Knox (it's a quick reading analysis of the weaknesses of the Fascist state and its military, and quite illuminating for the amount of reading one must invest - so far I would recommend it);
- Mussolini and his Generals by John Gooch (a lengthy and very detailed summary of relations between Italy's "revolutionary" government and its conservative military - overall, it keeps me interested)
For lighter stuff I'm reading Fiasco by Thomas Ricks and I'm trying to get into Flashman's Lady by George MacDonald Fraser. I really recomment that series, but I personally find the later novels more to my liking than the earlier stuff.

Just finished the "Fort" myself excellent read and gave to my friend here in Malaysia, also just finished the book on the "16th Battlion, Canadian Scottish" which I also gave to my friend. He is happy two new books on subjects not covered here. I plan on getting more books here on the Malay emergancy and SE Asia WWII.

Old Sweat said:
I picked this one up earlier this year to read in Los Cabos. Good read, and you will never feel quite the same about one of the main characters when you see the other side of his legend as written by Walt Whittman, the grandson of one of the other main characters. Hint - one if by land, and two if by sea.

I thought the same too. I also liked how a certain very juniour paymaster developed some interesting ideas about uniform and cross belt's colours. Doing some reading about the campaign now and as usual the author appears pretty spot on with his research. I also google mapped the area and the outline of the fort shows up clearly. It's a baseball diamond now.

Will begin my last semester of University next week. New York Times best sellers I will require to read include, but not limited too:

John Locke's Second Treatise of Civil Government
Thomas Hobbes' Leviathan
Machiavelli's The Prince

And that's just for one class! I don't know why, but my yearly caffeine intake always spikes come September?! :coffee:

Not that I'm reading these, but my 11 year old daughter has read, in the past 1.5 months:
The Call of the Wild
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Through the Looking Glass

She is now on to The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

Colin is that the Zhuelke book? I picked it up some time back but it's gathering dust on my book shelf. Ranger Ray thanks for the recommend I'll take a look for that one.

Don't believe I mentioned this one, I read it earlier this summer and it's well done. The style is quite similar to George MacDonald Fraser, as well as covering an era not often written about.

book.jpg

You can order direct form the author too and he'll sign copies ( found that out after)

http://www.threesipsofgin.com/

Edit: frank1515 Hmm I think I had a similar reading list one semester. :'(

Danjanou said:
Colin is that the Zhuelke book? I picked it up some time back but it's gathering dust on my book shelf. Ranger Ray thanks for the recommend I'll take a look for that one.
Edit: frank1515 Hmm I think I had a similar reading list one semester. :'(

If it is or isn't, I just got Brave Battalion (hardcover) by Zuelhke from the Chapters discount bin. Regimental histories are always so much more appealing when they cost $7.
So a "Fraserian" novel about the Selous Scouts? Looks pretty neat. As for the Prince - at least it's short, and fairly entertaining. I keep on hearing now that Macchiaveli was in fact, being sarcastic. That thought might make it a more interesting read.

Just finished re-reading Nero's Killing Machine.  Sort of a regimental history if you will about the 14th Legion and in particular their stand against Boudicca's horde.

Kernewek said:
If it is or isn't, I just got Brave Battalion (hardcover) by Zuelhke from the Chapters discount bin. Regimental histories are always so much more appealing when they cost $7.
So a "Fraserian" novel about the Selous Scouts? Looks pretty neat. As for the Prince - at least it's short, and fairly entertaining. I keep on hearing now that Macchiaveli was in fact, being sarcastic. That thought might make it a more interesting read.

Of course he was being sarcastic. Were he born in this era he'd be a regular poster here. 8)

Not just the Scouts, he had shall we say a rather colourful career, RLI, Scouts, SADF, one of the semi-indpendent pre apartheid Def forces, and even a stint in a rather stuffy Canadian Militia Unit.

I'm recently back from a trip to the "land of the bookstores" (aka anywhere but Thompson, MB). Among my purchases that I've already finished and would recommend are:

Helpless by Christie Blatchford. Well written, disturbing.

Battlefield Angels by Scott McGaugh. It's a history of American battlefield medicine and medics from the revolutionary war to today. I found it quite interesting.

I'm just starting a series of historical novels about the Roman Legions written by a Simon Scarrow. The first one is called Under the Eagle.
It had an endorsement on the cover by Bernard Cornwell which read: "I really don't need this kind of competition." That caused me to both smile and buy the book, which is -so far- pretty good. 

Speaking of Cornwell, I too just finished The Fort and highly recommend it.

I've just finished Assegai by Wilbur Smith. Well worth it.
assegai_hardcover.jpg

I'm in the middle of Master and Commander.
9780393307054_198.jpg

I've heard about the Scarrow books. They look interesting. I'll add them to the list. I also just finished watching Game of Thrones on TV. Perhaps I'll have to add that series as well.

Danjanou said:

Don't believe I mentioned this one, I read it earlier this summer and it's well done. The style is quite similar to George MacDonald Fraser, as well as covering an era not often written about.

You can order direct form the author too and he'll sign copies ( found that out after)

http://www.threesipsofgin.com/

Just ordered it.  Thanks. I've always had a fascination with Rhodesia.

Kernewek said:

Correct, gave it already so I could not remember the title, the price certainly appealed to me also.

Bass ackwards said:
I'm just starting a series of historical novels about the Roman Legions written by a Simon Scarrow. The first one is called Under the Eagle.
It had an endorsement on the cover by Bernard Cornwell which read: "I really don't need this kind of competition." That caused me to both smile and buy the book, which is -so far- pretty good. 

If you like those, you'll probably like the "Dream of Eagles" series by Jack Whyte.  Which I am re-reading now.

http://www.camulod.com/node/715

Back