• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wearing Medals

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL Springroll, wow! I haven't known anyone so bent on wearing someone else's medals. Didn't you say "I am curious if I am able to honour their service by wearing their medals?" You know there are several other ways to honour their service, the Remembrance parade itself exists just so both vets and those who were lost can be honored in the proper ceremonial way. Another simple way which some of the boys and I honour our friends who were lost is simply having a couple of beers in their blessed names. They may be gone but that doesn't mean that their medals now belong to us or that their service was ours. I along with many many others would simply just feel quite wrong in wearing someone else's medals regardkess of whatever reasons. Hmmm...maybe I should approach my father about his US Ranger Tab and the couple of coveted foriegn service para-wings to hand them over to me so I could don them after he passes away just so I could "honor" his service and the medals won't hurt either ::)

>>Infanteer101<< said:
LOL Springroll, wow! I haven't known anyone so bent on wearing someone else's medals.

If you knew about the relationship my grandfather and I had, then you would understand.... :'(

Like to say that a private or recruit would look pretty silly walking around with a bunch of medals. When you see MCPL and SGT and RM's wearing them you know they earned them. What do you think they would be thinking if they saw you?

You would look like a fool. You should just make a nice shadow box or something. But what do i know!

Take care!

Derek said:
Like to say that a private or recruit would look pretty silly walking around with a bunch of medals. When you see MCPL and SGT and RM's wearing them you know they earned them. What do you think they would be thinking if they saw you?

You would look like a fool. You should just make a nice shadow box or something. But what do i know!

Take care!

I am not concerned about what others think, I never have been.
I do already have a beautiful shadow box for them, but thank you for the suggestion.  :)

Springroll:
If you want to wear your Grandfather's medals against the advice of the members of the board, go ahead.  The NDA will give you a chance to see military justice  at work.  It will give you a chance to bring in a lawyer (at your expense) and clear up this matter.  Once that is done, please post the results so that we all can learn.
Please don't take anything on here as a slight to you or your grandfathers.  You asked a question and many have answered you.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Springroll,
I just read through your posts in your profile.....welcome to the army.ca warning system.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Springroll,
I just read through your posts in your profile.....welcome to the army.ca warning system.

Can you let me know what I did wrong??

Springroll,

Unless you attend Remembrance alone, someone on a parade will notice and you will be told to remove them.  Where are going to put them then?  DHH is the Directorate of History and Heritage.  Units have recently charged and dealt with both summarily and administratively, individuals who chose to wear medals they were not entitled.

Do whatever you want to and be quiet already, the rest of us will watch for you to appear in Routine Orders and the Court Martial results pages.

I'm seeing more and more evidence that the CF may not be for you - tattoos, wearing unauthorized jewelry and now unauthorized medals.  I say again "don't make any long term career plans".

All you mods and directors I think this is a good time to close this.. ::)

Gunner98 said:
Springroll,

Unless you attend Remembrance alone, someone on a parade will notice and you will be told to remove them.   Where are going to put them then?   DHH is the Directorate of History and Heritage.   Units have recently charged and dealt with both summarily and administratively, individuals who chose to wear medals they were not entitled.

Do whatever you want to and be quiet already, the rest of us will watch for you to appear in Routine Orders and the Court Martial results pages.

I'm seeing more and more evidence that the CF may not be for you - tattoos, wearing unauthorized jewelry and now unauthorized medals.   I say again "don't make any long term career plans".

Thank you for your advice

...and I will take Derek's advice and lock this, the question has been answered.

I'm now happily retired and a total civilian, is there any occasion I can wear my Afghanistan service medal at? Like remembrance day at least? Any other occasion, or none whatsoever ?

Search results were not relevant to what i'm looking for.

Medal is mine.

Thanks !

I'd wear it where ever you want. You earned it. I would dare someone to tell me when and where to do much after release.

You can wear it on your pajamas if you want, it's yours. Seriously, you can wear it whenever you think appropriate, such as Remembrance Day or a Legion parade\ Service, etc.

Typically, with a suit or blazer.

Just make sure it's worn properly. It's yours, be proud of your service.

At a small local ceremony on Remembrance Day I saw several individuals wearing GCSs in their civilian suits. I have no doubt that there are many Canadians who have earned a couple of medals in some brief and ugly military service. You are free to wear it, and I implore you to- let Canadians see that we're out there amongst them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back