• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wanting to join... Qustions

Splex

Inactive
Reaction score
Ok first off, I am 6'8 340 LBS.... Joining the army is something i have always planed and wanted to do, i have a few qustions that are stopping me from making the first few steps.

1.I am out of shape, i lift weight regulary, i am trying to run alot... i can do 2-3min sprint 2-3min jog.. Now the qustion i have if i enter the army in this shape... is there a test i will need to pass to get into training or will i be put into training to help me with my weaknesses?

Thats really the only qustion i have unless anyone wants to give advice on my situation, thanks

The site has a search option, this will help you find all the answers to your questions. Also look at forces.ca for more information, and watch the basic up reloaded videos to get info on BMQ.

Splex said:
Ok first off, I am 6'8 340 LBS.... Joining the army is something i have always planed and wanted to do, i have a few qustions that are stopping me from making the first few steps.

1.I am out of shape, i lift weight regulary, i am trying to run alot... i can do 2-3min sprint 2-3min jog.. Now the qustion i have if i enter the army in this shape... is there a test i will need to pass to get into training or will i be put into training to help me with my weaknesses?

Thats really the only qustion i have unless anyone wants to give advice on my situation, thanks

Yes, you have to meet a minimum fitness requirement. Do a search and you will find more detailed info.

I was reading, it said they recently changed it so there is no longer the test instead they just test you early in training.

There is no longer a test during your processing. On day 2 or 3 of  BMQ you will be tested. If you do not make the "Threshold Test" minimum standard you get a free trip[ back your place of enrolment.

As has been said on here before use the search option to find out what the standards are and work to them and then beyond before you enrol. Being sent home from BMQ on day 3 because you can't pass the PT test is no one's fault but your own!

Retired FDO said:
There is no longer a test during your processing. On day 2 or 3 of  BMQ you will be tested. If you do not make the "Threshold Test" minimum standard you get a free trip[ back your place of enrolment.

At one point there was a system in place, based on the results of the threshold test, that looked something like this:

- fit: carry on with BMQ;
- not quite fit: move to a platoon that aims to bring the candidate up to an appropriate fitness level; and
- completely unfit: released and sent home.

I think that's what the OP is asking about.  Does that still exist?

N. McKay said:
At one point there was a system in place, based on the results of the threshold test, that looked something like this:

- fit: carry on with BMQ;
- not quite fit: move to a platoon that aims to bring the candidate up to an appropriate fitness level; and
- completely unfit: released and sent home.

I think that's what the OP is asking about.  Does that still exist?

Hi,

My understanding is: Yes, this still exist.
However, in order to be placed on PAT Platoon, you have to reach a certain standard (X amounts of push-ups, sit-ups, cardio etc...). But I think you'd really have to be out of shape to not even being able to make it to this platoon.

The advice remains this one on the forum: It is in our own interest to get to BMQ in the best shape we can. We should all try to surpass the minimum required.
I find this makes a lot of sense...
- Your minimum required is 7 push-ups.... do 14
- 15 sit-ups.... double that
etc....

Alea

P.S.: Splex! OMG! You are so tall! I wouldn't want to have to carry you on the fireman's exercise ;) ;)... On a more serious note, if you look at the Saint Jean recruits school's internet page, you'll find info concerning the tests as well as on this forum.

To the Directing Staff,

I'm not sure but shouldn't this page be placed in the Recruiting section of the forum?

Alea

It shouldn't matter where they test you, just know that they will test you.

I also don't recommend you apply until you are in reasonable shape. I'm not saying you aren't, but if you don't surpass the fitness requirements with ease, you need more fitness training.

If you want to make sure you're ready to go to BMQ, this is what I have been told by recruiting officers, medic and my interviewer and my research online...

Minimum 19 pushups
Minimum 19 sit ups
Run 2.4 KM in 12 minutes or less
Able to run 10 Km without stopping and at a reasonable pace
Able to reach level 6 in the beep test. (download the beep test online)

If you are able to achieve all of these, you will will be ready for BMQ. If you acheive these, but with better numbers, BMQ will be easier.

MedKAWD said:
False.

If that was a requirement then half the military would fail the PT Test.

He didn't say it was a requirement, he said to be ready to go.  If you can do all that, you're well on your way.

Kat Stevens said:
He didn't say it was a requirement, he said to be ready to go.  If you can do all that, you're well on your way.

Yep yep fair enough.  Just wanted to clarify so that a slew of army hopefuls didn't start freaking out by reading it as a requirement.  :nod:

Alea said:
Hi,

My understanding is: Yes, this still exist.

Alea

I've been hearing tons of rumors about WFT platoon being canceled.  I have many friends in St-Jean right now and apparently those rumors are flying. Maybe some of you in the recruiting business have heard anything about this? Might push people to train a bit harder if they know the fitness platoon is no longer there to get them in shape  ;D
Then again, they might just be rumors, people like to talk :)

It always surprised me that there was this program in place. I am not knocking it, as I am sure a great number of excellent people devoloped very well into their careers in the CF. But I personally think the onus should be on the person asking for a job/career to exceed requirements. 

I just found it odd to hear of it. I can imagine a great deal if resources are used for it. Maybe they are focusing those resources elsewher?  Not my place to speculate. But ol Manticure is going to **** a brick when he hears of this rumor. (just kidding manticure)

Splex. There us a tremendous amount of information on here about this that you can use to determine your current level compared to what's being asked of you during training.  I'd be more worried how you're going to fit on a bed in basic or the extra digging you might have to do  ;) 

Splex said:

Splex,

Here's the link for the Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School (in Saint-Jean).
You'll find all the information you need to know on there.
If you have any more questions (i.e. wether the program has changed or not) please don't hesitate to call a recruiter and ask.

http://www.elrfc.forces.gc.ca/menu/ps/rec/index-eng.asp#5

Enjoy,
Alea

Back