• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Verification of Former Service (VFS) [Merged]

• Thread starter maple_leaf_forever
  • Start date
Antoine

Thanks for the reply. It certainly did help.  I can't help but laugh at myself at the sudden level of anxiety that I am feeling about this. But it is an excitement about getting things underway and started.

:cdn:

I was stress too for the CFAT, the interview and the medical but after all, I was over-thinking it.  :)

The CFAT given on the web site of the CF helps but I found mine a bit more challenging.

However, the questions were similar, thus if you forgot how to solve those 12Th grade math problems, take sometime to practice and as you probably found already, there is a huge amount of information on the CFAT in the present forum.

Don't stress for the interview, I am sure you'll do fine.

If you are applying for the regular, after you are done your medical, you might read on the NOAB in the present forum to prepare for it.

Cheers

I have been a sponge on as many of these forums as I possibly can. I have been reading them pretty much non stop during my down time at work. NOAB sounds like it is going to be great. 
I am applying for Reg. 
Have you recieved a date for BMOQ yet?

In my case, I got the interview before the medical examination, ended up that my vision was (still is ) too weak for MARS, my eyes are V4.  :mad:

I am defending my thesis in two weeks  :p. After the defense, I'll shop for the eyes surgery and get it done (that makes me anxious), wait 3 months (my eyes are good for LASIK) and hopefully continue the application process.

****update****

The old guy was able to run 2.2 km in 13:40 (the route I have been using is that distance and so far, that is about all I can handle) for only 1 week into my personal training along with 15 situps and 15 pushups.  I have set myself 3 main goals before BMOQ. (1) at least 30 pushups and situps (2) 2.4 Km in 11 min and (3) run at least 5km without feeling like I am going to die.

The situps and pushups feel like they are going to get better with only continued workouts.  The running has me a little worried as I have really short legs and it is hard to get a good pace going with long strides.  I am 5'8" and 173 lbs.  Hope to be down to at least 165 by enrollment date.  The only real fat that I have is a small spare tire which I have lost 20 lbs from since January.

I could have probably started a personal blog somewhere about this, but since I spend time in here practically every day and enjoy reading others progress regarding their application and recruiting stories along with their fitness progress, I thought that I might as well join in and give some people a bit of a laugh as we follow the old guy (but still consider myself young with a lot of time left to give to the military) through his progress.

The PT test now consists of a 20 MSR and not a 2.4 km run.......

That is funny,  I am the same size and weight, and also started same as you for the laps time, pushups and situps.

Don't give up, you are on a good start and it is a great idea to get fit before BMOQ.

Hope you take also some time off to enjoy the summer!

Cheers

I would love to take some time off this summer, but unfortunately, I need to find a second job (my income dropped to less than 30% of what it was in January and we just can't get by on what I am making now. We have been forced to sell our house and move to a rental (one of many reasons for my re-enlisting).  Please note that I am not looking for sympathy by my comment, just how life works.  Our weather has also been so poor here that we only had very few days with sun for the entire month of July. Hoping that August will be better.

My only concern will be fitting in workout time if I am working at one job from 6am - 11am and the other job from 1:30pm - 10pm.  I guess I need to answer my fathers old question of "what do you do between midnight and 5am anyway?"  lol

The answer is....I will find a way if I am serious about what I want to do...and I am VERY serious about getting back in the military and very excited about the Navy.

How are your workouts coming along, Antoine? Where are you up to now?

:cdnsalute:

Don't give up, life is a roller coaster with ups and downs, tough times are energy draining but it is through challenges that we are at our best and the survival machine start to be 100% creative, we are a learning sponge occasion hunter again as when we were in our early twenties, remember?

I guess training will be difficult to fit somewhere between the two jobs and the family, but I am sure you're going to make it, but be carefull with the burnout stuff, you know your limits (that is one of the advantage of getting older  ;)), so push your limit a bit further but slowly and surely! that is my  :2c: advice!

Focus and determination, and take care of yourself and your family.

In my case, I am preparing for my defense thesis, I have changed field, and I never had time to review the basics during my research, so I am catching up along with working on reviewing the advance stuff related to my research and with the preparation of my defense presentation. Times flying ! Will see how it goes  :p

Anyway, I don't complain as I am healthy, still young, happy with my girlfriend, happy in Vancouver, and in the process of joining the CF family to take up new challenges and serve the country (so I'll be usefull once in my life  ;)).

Cheers,
:cheers:

Steve I am a lot older than you and can say that I have never been discouraged from joining.
I will say that I am in pretty good shape.  I can still run the 2.4 km in under 9min and could still likely get back to doing 100 plus pushups.  I also really enjoy things like climbing and parachuting. 

The Capt at the interview was even suggesting that I should consider officer. However, I was only interested in med tech.

Unfortunately, it looks like I may not make it due to bad luck.  My ECG came back as abnormal.  I thought that was impossible - I recently finished an ultra marathon in third.
It took over 2 months for me to get referred to a cardiologist.  He told me that since my heart was so strong and beat very slow and I was so lean that it likely just made some values on the ECG appear abnormal.  Unfortunately, he could not state this for sure without some other test.  Since there is no urgent reason for the other test it was not going to happen before my 54th birthday which makes me too old.

I got fowled up on bad luck and not the recruiting system.  Indeed I even asked them point blank if they were processing my application for political correctness and departmental policy reasons.  The recruiter said absolutely not.  All my experiences would make me believe they were being honest with me.

Also thanks a lot to all you men and women that serve our country .  I for one really appreciate it.  Wish I had been able to join you.

Rod - Sorry to hear that.

I took a rest day today and will be back at the workout routine tomorrow morning. 

Antione - Thanks for the update - keep us posted on your research.

Sun is finally out today here...yay!  Stuck inside at work...boo! 

There is an elementary school directly behind my house, so tomorrow I am going to go down and see if they have a bar that I can use to do chin ups.  In my prime, I only could manage about 16.  I think that I will set my goal tomorrow at 2 and see how it goes.

Well...good and not so good today....started a new workout routine with a higher intensity. Felt really good.  Went for a run at a different location. Thought is would be flatter, but it turned out to be more uphill than I expected.  I only got 2km in 11 min.  I did find a bar at the school to try my chinups. Got 3! Last one was tough, but I beat my goal of 2..so I felt good about that.

14 days until CFAT. Already been on math.com for revision.  Math is generally a stong subject of mine (BSc in Physics and Oceanography), but it has been over 19 years, so a refresher is a good idea and I plan to go back and do more tutorials and practice tests.

Steve_D said:
Well...good and not so good today....started a new workout routine with a higher intensity. Felt really good.  Went for a run at a different location. Thought is would be flatter, but it turned out to be more uphill than I expected.  I only got 2km in 11 min.  I did find a bar at the school to try my chinups. Got 3! Last one was tough, but I beat my goal of 2..so I felt good about that.

14 days until CFAT. Already been on math.com for revision.  Math is generally a stong subject of mine (BSc in Physics and Oceanography), but it has been over 19 years, so a refresher is a good idea and I plan to go back and do more tutorials and practice tests.

Good work Steve, Keep up that PT!

Don't forget to look into the other topics of the CFAT ... spatial recognition can often vex people as well as the problem solving. As for the math, concentrate on remembering Grade 10 formulas and concepts (How to figure out diameters and volumes, how to multiply, divide, add and subtract fractions, etc.)

Good luck!

Otis

Hi Steve,

I am 42 and in the process of applying myself to go back in after an absence of 7 years.  I have not had any issues come up with my age but as another poster stated, you will have to do a few extra medical tests such as blood-work and EKG.  I did my CFAT two weeks ago and right after they let us sign a conditional offer of employment which by that you knew you passed the test. I had my interview last week and at the interview was informed of my scores and where I stood relative to others (14/15 verbal, 14/15 spatial and 27/30 math which placed me in the 95th percentile). I am not sure if they tell everyone their scores or not, and I hadn't asked, the officer just asked me if they told me my results or not.  I also used math.com for some of my studying as well as a few other sites and did a few practice spatial quizzes I was able to find online. I think the main thing is to not spend too much time on each question as I always had time to quickly come back to the ones I earmarked on my paper to check over again. Most men score well on the spatial testing, so you likely will have no issues there but if isn't your strong point play some video games, research shows it can improve scores on spatial testing at least for women. The verbal isn't too difficult if you are a reader at all and have a decent vocabulary. The math has a variety of questions on it and you may study as I did some areas that are not covered but better safe than sorry. I only had the weekend to study and I was able to cover enough to do well on the test, so you should do fine.

The interview can be lengthy but not unpleasant, they cover basically what you have put on your application, what you know about your trade, the pros and cons, the training, etc... Just read up on your trade, watch the video on DND, have an idea of why you think you are a good fit for it.  As well on the interview you will be asked situational type questions, like tell me of a time when..., so that might be an area you might want to prepare for as well. You are lucky you are going Mars as there are many spots open for it so you don't have to worry about  your trade being closed. You do need V3 for vision for Mars (I checked into it myself as I was trying for CEOTP) but I have V4 for my vision so cannot apply for it and there are no other open CEOTP spots for my vision level so I am applying NCM.

I am now waiting on my medical results and will see if things will continue or not.  Best of luck with everything, I am sure you will do great.

MeghanC

Thanks for the info. Very useful.  I am feeling confident about the interview (just want to not be over-confident).  My PT is getting better everyday as well. I was able to run 3.5 km today. My Goal will be to hit the 5km mark before the end of Aug.
Sorry to hear that your vision is not strong enough for MARS.  Were there no other officer careers that interested you (ie Logistics).  Either way; good luck and keep us updated as I believe everyone loves to hear the good news from others.

Steve

Some progress with my fitness is making me feel better.  I was able to run for over 27 minutes non stop yesterday (not the fastest pace, but non stop non-the-less).  I am up to 20 pushups and 15 situps and even managed to complete 4 chin ups.  I am feeling confidenent that all of these will be much higher by the time I start BMOQ; which looks to be Jan 2010 at the earliest.

Hope everyone else is progressing well too.

9 days until CFAT.

Steve

...to the local Army reserves, after 7 years being out. I was in from 1995-2000, and a lot has changed since I was in. A lot of my good friends are still in, of course they have a few more stripes on their sleeves.

My questions are:

1. How it would be for a 32 year old to join back up in a younger man's game?

2. Are my courses (comms, recce, infantry) still valid?

3. Would I go back in as a private, or the rank I left as, corporal?

4. I'm currently a police officer, but could manage some extra time. What is the minimum commitment to the reserves?

Thanks!

You will find that there are a number of people going the same route as you are - some for the first time.  We had several 50+ year old candidates on the recruit training this summer.  You may be one of the older people in your unit, but you will find others of a similar age, or older, in the other units.

In response to your specific questions:

1.  Work on your physical fitness.  You have an advantage over younger soldiers - you have used your muscles, and know what your body can do before it breaks.  You also have a disadvantage - us older people take longer to heal, and to get back in shape.  The better physically fit you are, the better you will do.

2.  There should be a review of your previous qualifications when you enroll.  However, it sometimes takes a long time - so you may have to re-do all your qualifications.  I'm not as current in this area as I once was - so perhaps someone else can provide a better answer.

3.  Normally, the rank is tied to the qualifications that are recognized.    But see caution at answer 2.

4.  The minimum commitment is 1 evening an week, and 1 weekend a month.  To get your courses, you will need more time, sometimes 3 weekends in a month.  I've seen people get by with less, but tempers tend to get short, as the leadership and your buddies are depending on you to show up to help with the training / work  / exercise prep.

Good Luck

Having been out for over 5 years, you may have to do BMQ and SQ over again.  That will be determined in the assessment they make of your previous service and qualifications.  You may loose some qualifications if they are "time sensitive", but will likely keep most of your qualifications.  You may loose your rank, if you are placed on BMQ or SQ, and if your unit CO feels you are a good candidate he may promote you to Cpl again on completion of those crses.  (Unit COs have the discretion to promote up to MCpl.)

Merged.

Read some of the previous posts for more info.

Back