• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Vehicle Technician ( merged )

BadBird said:
Hi Guys,

I did my reserve EME common, QL3, and QL4 as a vehicle tech. I am looking into becoming a civilian heavy equipment technician. I have my course reports, but I assume the union that represents the HET's will want to know what I did and how many hours were spent. Who would I contact to get that kind of data or does anyone here have experience dealing with this?

Your gonna be in a tough spot without your QL5.  Somehow still going to have to get ahold of whatever unit was handling your QL4 training as you will need some kind of proof of hours toward your ticket. Likely still going to have to complete all levels of a civilian apprenticeship. They may only credit your first year and maybe some of the hours. A lot will depend on the province your dealing with as well.

Your profile says you’re from Alberta. The Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training Board requires you to have your QL5 as a minimum.

https://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/sources/pdfs/forms/military_trades.pdf

I'm contemplating joining the cf to become a vehicle technician. I'm just wondering what other people currently working as a vehicle technician have to say about the trade. What happens on a day to day basis.

Brandonwaldner47 said:
I'm contemplating joining the cf to become a vehicle technician. I'm just wondering what other people currently working as a vehicle technician have to say about the trade. What happens on a day to day basis.
Day to day you fix broken army vehicles...the unit you are will dictate the type of vehicle/ equipment.

Most days, unit dependant will have a morning PT session and then you will be on the shop floor doing inspections and repairs.
You will also deploy on exercises are part of a mobile repair team as well as be part of the wrecker crew.

That is really a long story short but if you have any more specific questions, fire away.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

sidemount said:
Day to day you fix broken army vehicles...the unit you are will dictate the type of vehicle/ equipment.

Most days, unit dependant will have a morning PT session and then you will be on the shop floor doing inspections and repairs.
You will also deploy on exercises are part of a mobile repair team as well as be part of the wrecker crew.

That is really a long story short but if you have any more specific questions, fire away.

Is any of the infantry training required or is it just put in the mornings and service work during the days. Are there chances of going overseas too? Are tools supplied or do we buy our own? Is it possible to make this a job were you can buy a house around the base?

Brandonwaldner47 said:
Is any of the infantry training required or is it just put in the mornings and service work during the days. Are there chances of going overseas too? Are tools supplied or do we buy our own? Is it possible to make this a job were you can buy a house around the base?
You dont do any specific infantry training. You will do training that is common to all army trade such as the soldier qualification course as well the RCEME School does some field training as well.

Like I had mentioned most days are morning workouts followed by doing repairs and maint on the vehicles. Throughout the year there will usually be a few exercises within Canada(usually your own base). And absolutley there are chances to go overseas. They are not as common right now as there isnt a really large deployment going on but there are a few in Latvia.

All tools are supplied.

Yes after your initial training you can absolutely buy a house off base wherever you end up being posted to.

Do you know if they need a lot of mechanics in Canadian army?

Is it possible to move as far as possible in this country with this trade and moving a lot?

I don't like a specific engine. I only want to work on diesel engine for the sound.

I’m not sure what your intentions here are, but taking into account your exchange with site staff behind the scenes, I’d suggest focusing on getting a better grasp on English communication and THEN deciding whether you want to stay in the computer/security field, or try your hand at something else altogether.

Edit to add: You’ve modified your initial post, so it’s a little clearer. That’s good. But I’m still curious about your overall intentions on this site though...

In any event, if it’s easier to communicate in French, I’d advise you to check out a Recruiting Centre in your location which can set you up with an individual who can better help you explore your options.

SnowMacho said:
Do you know if they need a lot of mechanics in Canadian army?

I don't want to learn a trade in army and after my contract to find a civil job with many interviews from some little girl who has a passion for her nails without any knowledge about my job.

Is it possible to move as far as possible in this country with this trade and moving a lot?

I don't need to have friends around me. I am single so the overtime is not matter. I only think about my health and gifts for my nephew and niece.

Is compatible with bodybuilding addiction?

I don't like a specific engine. I only want to work on diesel engine for the sound.

Your gonna be in a tough spot without your QL5. Somehow still going to have to get ahold of whatever unit was handling your QL4 training as you will need some kind of proof of hours toward your ticket. Likely still going to have to complete all levels of a civilian apprenticeship. They may only credit your first year and maybe some of the hours. A lot will depend on the province your dealing with as well.
You are correct. They didn't credit anything.

So I am still looking into challenging the 310S test in Ontario. I have my course docs for my QL2 and QL3, but other then my QL4 completion certificate, I can't find any other paperwork regarding what I did on my 4's. Is it possible for me to get a copy of my course report or get a document showing the course work and expectations for the QL4 course? I did my 4's at 1 Svc Bn in 2008 under MWO Pettit.

Back