• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Presidential Election 2024 - Trump vs ??? - Vote Hard with a Vengence

Not dogpiling. Trying to follow your train of thought.

I would never mistake you for a child unless you were out picking tomatoes or detassilling corn but I’d likely have to look twice. ;)
Glad you find it funny. I don't remember it that way😉

I went to work for my family. Today even with two parents working, they can't make ends meet. They need to make that up somewhere. Yes it sucks that maybe the kids have to kick in, but it might mean the difference in keeping your home, putting food on the table or moving the family to Skid Row. We are not all blessed. Many are not. A simple look at what happened in Appalachia after the coal mines were shut down will show you the sorry depths those families have fallen to.
And that’s completely fair and valid. I’ve got nothing but respect for anyone supporting family who are in a bind; I’m doing that too though from a more advantageous position. I’m just worried at seeing a push for policies - knowing that that push is in no way with a benevolent intent - that’s probably gonna contribute to trapping a new generation of kids into intergenerational poverty.

knowing that that push is in no way with a benevolent intent - that’s probably gonna contribute to trapping a new generation of kids into intergenerational poverty.
Feature, not bug. As pointed out up thread- the donors need a serf class to prop up the system.

Elon Musk has offered to have a discussion on X with both candidates. Harris declined, Trump agreed. There were several high level attempts to shut down X hosting Trump. Early accounts have stated the viewership was in the millions and that will grow by a large amount over the next few days. This is a huge platform and whomever goes on in such a way is taking a big risk. The media is already commenting how Trump was erratic and a hot mess. I haven't heard it yet, but I'm looking forward to listening to this discussion and deciding for myself.

I'm inclined to believe Musk it was a DDOS attack.

Also, the EU Commission effectively threatening Musk over the potential of inciting violence by broadcasting a discussion with Trump.

Also, the EU Commission effectively threatening Musk over the potential of inciting violence by broadcasting a discussion with Trump.
Occam’s Razor would suggest that a platform designed for text and short video would not do well if a bunch of people sign in for a long streaming video (which again, it wasn’t designed for).

Not worth worrying about. If people want to fight over the delivery mechanism rather than the content, let them waste their time.
Information control is what governments attempt when they feel like they're losing the information contest. Almost nothing has changed since furious kings raged impotently against pamphleteers publishing abroad. One thing that has changed: people used to recognize and reject such illiberalism when they saw it.

Also, the EU Commission ineffectively threatening Musk over the potential of inciting violence by broadcasting a discussion with Trump.
I say ineffectively because X's CEO Linda Yaccarino wrote them back basically telling them to pound salt. Elon was a tad more explicit.

" Musk responded to Breton with a meme from the 2008 movie Tropic Thunder, in which an actor yells: “Take a big step back and literally fuck your own face.”

X chief executive Linda Yaccarino wrote of Breton’s letter: “This is an unprecedented attempt to stretch a law intended to apply in Europe to political activities in the US. It also patronises European citizens, suggesting they are incapable of listening to a conversation and drawing their own conclusions.”

That has nothing to do with addressing the root problem though. There was an Agent in Charge, then there were those agents that carried out the orders without question. That is a fundamental breakdown in the private citizens civil rights by the government and agency that is supposed to protect those rights. You don't throw money at something like this to make it go away. You publicly address the problem and show the citizens that this stuff won't be tolerated. Paying someone off with their own taxes doesn't cut it.

Edit - it is contrary to the third amendment Third Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia Also, under Massachusetts law the people involved can be arrested for trespass and possibly break and enter.
While the action was wrong on a lot of levels and screams for accountability, when the linked article frames the story as "Kamala Harris' Secret Service", it paints those involved as agents of her and doing her bidding.

Also, equating what happened to the Constitutional prohibition of 'quartering troops" is an Olympic-level stretch that could have helped our medal count a week ago.

Elon Musk has offered to have a discussion on X with both candidates. Harris declined, Trump agreed. There were several high level attempts to shut down X hosting Trump. Early accounts have stated the viewership was in the millions and that will grow by a large amount over the next few days. This is a huge platform and whomever goes on in such a way is taking a big risk. The media is already commenting how Trump was erratic and a hot mess. I haven't heard it yet, but I'm looking forward to listening to this discussion and deciding for myself.
I believe Musk made the offer to Harris during this interview, not FOR this interview. I’d be curious if he actually made an official offer. But after the disaster this one was, and his previous creations about Harris on X, there wouldn’t be much to gain by sitting down with a Trump mega donor.

But after the disaster this one was, and his previous creations about Harris on X, there wouldn’t be much to gain by sitting down with a Trump mega donor.
Right now it looks like the Harris campaign doesn't think there's much to gain by sitting Harris or Walz down with anyone for an unscripted chat. The response from the Democrat-supporting media is mostly "Oh, OK." (These are the same media who have argued how Vital To Democracy their profession is, and thus deserving of some kinds of protection from the economic disruptions afflicting them, because of how they force politicians to answer to voters.)

Right now it looks like the Harris campaign doesn't think there's much to gain by sitting Harris or Walz down with anyone for an unscripted chat. The response from the Democrat-supporting media is mostly "Oh, OK." (These are the same media who have argued how Vital To Democracy their profession is, and thus deserving of some kinds of protection from the economic disruptions afflicting them, because of how they force politicians to answer to voters.)
Right now it seems so. If they keep their polling on an upward trajectory, no need to change that. As with Trump,though, I am sure that will change as required,

But I see no issues telling a billionaire to go pound sand with his request for access in order to prop up his failing social media company.

While the action was wrong on a lot of levels and screams for accountability, when the linked article frames the story as "Kamala Harris' Secret Service", it paints those involved as agents of her and doing her bidding.

Also, equating what happened to the Constitutional prohibition of 'quartering troops" is an Olympic-level stretch that could have helped our medal count a week
Sure. Whatever. I'm not doing this again. Believe what you want. It was a well known US judge that explained the 3rd amendment linkage. But if you know better about the US Constitution than Judge Napolitano feel free to argue with him.

Right now it seems so. If they keep their polling on an upward trajectory, no need to change that.
How casually the investigative function of the press and the importance of politicians demonstrating competence at thinking on their feet were brushed aside.

"Pig in a poke? Sure, if that's what it takes to win."

Bottom line is Trump has demonstrated he will site down for an unscripted talk with anyone, anywhere. The other side will not. This says a lot about the choices to a lot of people.

Back