• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Flynn urges Martial Law and "temporary" Suspension of Constitution

Status
Not open for further replies.
X Royal said:
When was the last time any Canadian Prime Minister's party got the majority of the over all votes? And I can't see it happening here with a multi party system.

Mulroney, 1984.

X Royal said:
Comparing a basically 2 party system such as the US has to our Canadian multi party system in respect to having a leader of the country elected without a majority of the votes is not a fair comparison.

Right. Apples vs oranges. For reference to the discussion,

Brihard said:
Difficult to easily compare voting trends vs results with a Westminster Parliamentary system, against a perpetual two-party republic where the presidential candidate must win an outright majority of something to get the spot.

Fudgeabout all you want lads, but I didn't make a comparison, I made a reply to the fact that someone posted something smug about 'not having a leader voted in by a majority'.....its a yes or no, not a "well ya' blah, yada,..."

How was his comment smug? Looked like a statement of fact with a smiley emoji. Is that the smug emoji?

Good news for his fans, he can run again in 2024.

Should be interesting considering not only will he be the only president to have lost the popular vote twice, the President-elect got a greater percentage of the vote against an incumbent president than anyone since 1932. 

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Fudgeabout all you want lads, but I didn't make a comparison, I made a reply to the fact that someone posted something smug about 'not having a leader voted in by a majority'.....its a yes or no, not a "well ya' blah, yada,..."

No Bruce, they're fundamentally different systems. We don't even directly elect our executive, they do. There's a big difference between a system where a majority of the popular vote is a common and typical part of an electoral win, and one (like ours) where a parliamentary system makes it exceedingly unlikely. A comment that makes perfect sense and carries some significance in the context of the American presidency may not be one - in this case, isn't one - that has any real relevance in ours, a system with five parties in the legislature from which our cabinet and PM are appointed. So for yo to get snippy with him over it just does't fit the facts.

And since we're back on US Election talk, this one is getting locked too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back