• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Updated Army Service Dress project

Mounted Infantry charge. (Note the uniforms as this is a service dress forum :D.

The charge of the 4th Australian Light Horse at Beersheba late in the afternoon of 31 October 1917, is remembered as the last great cavalry charge.

Australian Light Horse Charge - The Lighthorsemen

Two Steps from Hell - Victory Charge of the Australian Light Horse, Beersheba

Mounted Infantry charge. (Note the uniforms as this is a service dress forum :D.

The charge of the 4th Australian Light Horse at Beersheba late in the afternoon of 31 October 1917, is remembered as the last great cavalry charge.

Agreed but that was still mounted infantry adapting itself to a situation. Which is what I think MarkPPCLI was commenting on.

When they hit the defensive lines a lot of them dismounted and started fighting with bayonets and rifle.

I am not arguing with MarkPPCLI. Just adding a Mounted Infantry charge to previous posts.

Very brave soldiers.

I'm passed 60 years of age, but not a Grandpa yet. I do find myself having the urge to take a nap after chasing my yet to be Grandma around the house a couple of times.
So when Stella was about 3 she used to ask to take her naps at about 1130. That is when I'd nap too and still do if I can.

But we are headed down a rabbit hole - back to toques and gloves!!!

Go Home Wtf GIF by Afta Hill

Anyways...

I saw a question earlier about gold thread on this new uniform. Everything I have seen thus far showed the No 3B Dress with off-white rank insignia. My best assumption is that Army Service Dress insignia in general will go from that hideous gold colour to a proper off-white colour.

Anyways...

I saw a question earlier about gold thread on this new uniform. Everything I have seen thus far showed the No 3B Dress with off-white rank insignia. My best assumption is that Army Service Dress insignia in general will go from that hideous gold colour to a proper off-white colour.
Out of curiosity, where did you see details on the 3B dress's rank insignia? I've looked around for details on the Service Dress, and other than the DLR 5 site, there isn't much.

Out of curiosity, where did you see details on the 3B dress's rank insignia? I've looked around for details on the Service Dress, and other than the DLR 5 site, there isn't much.
DAPA had a some promotional shots of the concept on their ACIMS page...that suddenly disappeared. My guess is that the photos got leakwd and DLR 5 had a fit and told them to lock them down.

I see your 1917 "last great cavalry charge" and raise you with a 1942 "last major cavalry charge"

And of course the Green Berets/Northern Alliance would argue that 2001 beats them all:

I was on a joint US, Australian CPX and during one of the breaks I saw one of the Aussie Officers wearing his slouch hat with feathers - he belonged to a cavalry unit. I was wondering perhaps Canadian Army units especially cavalry, mounted rifles should adopt feathers to their head dress. More feathers I say!

As course, you can raise another infantry battalion and let them wear feathers with their head dress like the Italian Bersaglieri

1710524303735.png

Anyways...

“Inoffensive beige”

I was on a joint US, Australian CPX and during one of the breaks I saw one of the Aussie Officers wearing his slouch hat with feathers - he belonged to a cavalry unit. I was wondering perhaps Canadian Army units especially cavalry, mounted rifles should adopt feathers to their head dress. More feathers I say!
All Australian Army armoured corps pers wear the plume. Sort of like the black beret.

We should respect Canadian traditions, and just replace the forage cap, for Regular Force Armoured Corps members out west, with a gravy boat.

As course, you can raise another infantry battalion and let them wear feathers with their head dress like the Italian Bersaglieri

View attachment 83748
"Light infantry".

So PPCLI would be the natural choice for wearing cock-of-the-woods feathers.

:giggle:

Since we have been moving back towards pre-unification uniforms and customs for more than a decade now, when are the Army and the Air Force finally going to go back to the open-hand salute and leave the Navy salute behind?

Back