• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Updated Army Service Dress project

A common occurrence.

That is why the ADF switched to RM Williams boots.

I don’t know how many folks will be looking to buy $650 (or more) boots out of pocket.
Build it and they will come. Life before BOOTFORGEN saw folks pay out of pocket for better items than what the CAF issued via a terriblly contracted/comstructed product.

If they're authorized for wear with No1/3s and are that good in reducing maintenance time and cost... I don't care how free Logistik footwear is, I'll pay for it.

The only reason it "lasts forever" is because nobody wears high browns on a regular basis unless a member is killed, and nobody gives a shit if they look good or not when they do wear them to said funeral because of the amount of work required to polish them.

Hence they stay "polished" forever because they never get re-polished.

I’ve kicked in more than one door in mine. They stay relatively polished. That said I also don’t give a shit…so maybe they don’t and I don’t notice 🤔

I’ve kicked in more than one door in mine. They stay relatively polished. That said I also don’t give a shit…so maybe they don’t and I don’t notice 🤔
So now we know how you came to be know as "Booter"!

Build it and they will come. Life before BOOTFORGEN saw folks pay out of pocket for better items than what the CAF issued via a terriblly contracted/comstructed product.

If they're authorized for wear with No1/3s and are that good in reducing maintenance time and cost... I don't care how free Logistik footwear is, I'll pay for it.
I think there’s a difference there.

Folks bought their own boots because that’s their daily wear and (admittedly extreme example) it could save their life if they’re not hobbling around in the battlefield. I’m not sure most would pony up that much for parade footwear that most wear 1-2 times a year, unless posted to NCR.

If you’re talking about RM Williams boots, they don’t reduce maintenance time at all. They’re just laceless ankle boots (think a nicer, more fitted Blundstone boot) that would still need to be polished.

Folks bought their own boots because that’s their daily wear and (admittedly extreme example) it could save their life if they’re not hobbling around in the battlefield. I’m not sure most would pony up that much for parade footwear that most wear 1-2 times a year, unless posted to NCR.

If you’re talking about RM Williams boots, they don’t reduce maintenance time at all. They’re just laceless ankle boots (think a nicer, more fitted Blundstone boot) that would still need to be polished.
Fair enough. I tend to actually want to look good in what I wear, so I don't mind shelling out a couple of bucks to do it. I guess that's a value that was instilled in me by my grandfather.

He was a stone mason/bricklayer who worked hard hours and would often come home looking a little rough around the edges. When he wasn't working though, his dress, grooming, and polish would rival that of Carey Grant. A proper fitting suit, sharp haircut, and a good set of quality shoes were luxury items he used to project confidence and not appear to be "just a blue collar worker."

The clothes make the man, as it saying goes. Rightly or wrongly, the effort you put into your appearance is judged by others as the metric in which you will put in just about anything else.

I'd settle for the CAF switching to Thursday boots... The leather takes a polish, and they are made the old fashioned way, so they last.

There was a good number of us not even 10 years ago, but who knows how many remain in with the attrition we have. I was always a fan of it, it is what the public envisions when they think Navy.

When the public thinks about the Navy they think ships. I sincerely doubt that square rig is front of mind for anyone beyond the old and bold of the Navy. I’d imagine more people who wonder why adults are wearing “those little sailor outfits for kids” before they went of Navy = Square Rig.

Basically no one uses the ‘standard’ army beret. I think at this point there is basically more in black berets (RCEME, Arty, Armoured, etc.) then the standard beret (basically just Log at this point).
This has been addressed. It’s false but yeah, addressed.

No one that I still know in the RCN wants to go back to the square rig for sailors. Heck, even when reintroducing the Elliot's eye, the RCN did not tamper with the unified rank system of the CAF. We simply put Elliot's eyes on top of the officers bars without changing the system at all. It's the RCAF and to an even greater degree the Army that went back in history to their own "stripes/pips and crowns" systems and are now different than the unified system. If the RCN had wanted to go back in time for "ranks" we would have reintroduced the square knot/fouled anchor/double fouled anchor and cuff buttons for the NCM's.

All this said, and on the topic of the new Army Service Dress: I like it, and I think the colonel/GO gorgets are going to look much better on it than on the current green thingy.

Personally I'd love to see an RCN ship with a crew of pirates.....sailors that dress like pirates. With cutlasses, pistols etc.....
johnny depp GIF

No one that I still know in the RCN wants to go back to the square rig for sailors. Heck, even when reintroducing the Elliot's eye, the RCN did not tamper with the unified rank system of the CAF. We simply put Elliot's eyes on top of the officers bars without changing the system at all. It's the RCAF and to an even greater degree the Army that went back in history to their own "stripes/pips and crowns" systems and are now different than the unified system. If the RCN had wanted to go back in time for "ranks" we would have reintroduced the square knot/fouled anchor/double fouled anchor and cuff buttons for the NCM's.

All this said, and on the topic of the new Army Service Dress: I like it, and I think the colonel/GO gorgets are going to look much better on it than on the current green thingy.
The RCAF changed the colours to pearl gray, and changed the 1-chevron Pte to Avr. Aside from that, no change.

It could have gone back to Pilot Officer, Flying Officer, etc but then those uncomfortable questions of “why am I a P/O if I’m not a Pilot?” and “why don’t Wing Commanders command Wings?” come up.

The RCAF changed the colours to pearl gray, and changed the 1-chevron Pte to Avr. Aside from that, no change.

It could have gone back to Pilot Officer, Flying Officer, etc but then those uncomfortable questions of “why am I a P/O if I’m not a Pilot?” and “why don’t Wing Commanders command Wings?” come up.
Since when does logic comes into play when traditions and heritage are involved - in this case the RCAF traditional rank and insignia? Who cares if Wing Commander doesn't command Wings. The RAF, RAAF, RNZAF and other British Commonwealth countries are carrying on with it :giggle:

Back