• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The War in Ukraine

2.5yrs into this war and the Ukrainians still haven't been able to find the magic key to unlock the 'mass surrender' lock that lies buried in all Russians. The Germans were able to find it in WW1 and WW2 (first half), the Ukrainians need to somehow find it and use it.
Both those wars at those points the Russians were being decimated. Literally anyone would surrender in those situations (France did on the Western Front).

WWI they were out maneuvered and out equipped. Literally reinforcements were arriving just in time to replace the casualties. On the worst fronts 1/10 troops were equipped with a rifle (worse than even the worst part of WWII).

WWII again out maneuvered and equipped early on. Maneuver warfare and Blitzkrieg works, as long as you can keep it going. Ukraine hasn't been able to do either of those things (excluding this recent Kursk adventure).

To get the Russians to surrender it is the same as getting anyone to surrender, either enough confusion or panic that they feel they can’t fight or make it so they can’t fight.

Both those wars at those points the Russians were being decimated. Literally anyone would surrender in those situations (France did on the Western Front).

WWI they were out maneuvered and out equipped. Literally reinforcements were arriving just in time to replace the casualties. On the worst fronts 1/10 troops were equipped with a rifle (worse than even the worst part of WWII).

WWII again out maneuvered and equipped early on. Maneuver warfare and Blitzkrieg works, as long as you can keep it going. Ukraine hasn't been able to do either of those things (excluding this recent Kursk adventure).

To get the Russians to surrender it is the same as getting anyone to surrender, either enough confusion or panic that they feel they can’t fight or make it so they can’t fight.
That Russia/Rifle thing from WW2 seems to be a bit of a myth. It certainly happened on at least a couple of occasions, but was not a widespread practice.

2.5yrs into this war and the Ukrainians still haven't been able to find the magic key to unlock the 'mass surrender' lock that lies buried in all Russians. The Germans were able to find it in WW1 and WW2 (first half), the Ukrainians need to somehow find it and use it.
I’m not sure (and I don’t know how we can know at this point) how much this is permeating into the broader Russian citizenry, or even outside the units involved. If unit A surrenders but units B, C, D, etc don’t know, then they may not. But, if they know, then the chances of them surrendering get higher. I suspect that the Russian media isn’t covering any surrenders anyway, so I doubt that the people in various other parts of Russia even know. They’re being fed propaganda, other than what they can get from private sources, so I’m not surprised if they’re essentially in the dark about this latest development.

But, if they’re indoctrinated that surrender is worse than death, then like many (not all) of the Japanese in WWII, they may think that death is preferable (for different reasons than the Japanese back then).

History has typically shown that when you have company + elements surrendering. It doesn't slow down, and can collapse armies.

Back