• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Spam and Scam Superthread- Merged

Merged, and back to our regular scheduled program....

Oy vey, these overzealous mods that have new toys......

dileas

tess

milnet.ca staff

And the hits just keep coming....
The latest from a grieving widow.  I think it's funny how it's targeted at folks who would obviously keep the money.

Dear Friend,My name is Mrs.Pamela Van Dyken,59 years old deaf woman aging widow suffering from long time illness for diagnosed for cancer about 3 years ago. I have some funds inherited from my late husband,i needed a very honest and God fearing Person that will use the funds for Good work, motherless home,charitable funding or deaf centers, i found your email address from people search and decided to contact you. Please if you would be able to use the funds for the Good work, kindly reply for further details. Please kindly reply ,I will be very glad to hear from you.Your sincerely,Mrs.Pamela Van Dyken

Here's one I got today from the "Safe" Internet Lottery Foundation:  ::)

FROM THE DESK OF MR. PAUL ADAMS
4TH FLOOR, 21 WOODLANDS CLOSE GOLDERS
GREEN LONDON NW11 9QR UNITED KINGDOM
HEADING :{AWARD RESULT 2009}

From Safe Internet Lottery Foundation in Association with Readers Digest. we happily announce to you that you have won award of $750,000 at the China Payment Center.

Ticket Number: 44-09-42-09-94-4Q
Serial Number: 66-Q99
Batch Number: UK/PPT/090/033D
Reference Number: LM/0800/LK/WRQ
Drew Date: 25th May 2009

Your email address name attached to a ticket number: 44-09-42-09-94-4Q with the serial number: 66-Q99 drew the lucky number: 09-54-90-76-00 which consequently won the draw in the 2nd category. Your email address was among the (10) email addresses chosen to receive grand prize of US$750,000.00 each in this section. Therefore you must contact your Claim Agent.

MR. DONALD BROOKE
Email: donbro.claim5@gmail.com
Address: 16 Mananching Building,
China Immigration Centre, Floor 1108,
Beijing, China.

He will need to confirm everything we have on file to ensure that there will be no set backs upon the release of these funds to you.
I want you to know that verification and confirmation of all of your payment documents have been sent to our affiliate company, The International Lottery Board of Commissions from our processing office. Also, be rest assured that your winning will be sent to you as {ATM Card or Bank Transfer} which can be used in any Atm machine worldwide. This will be issued from our paying bank in China.

Your won prize cannot be deducted, simply because this is a promotional award, until prize is released to you due to strict insurance policy. After you have received your money, we expect you to use some of the money to spread Internet knowledge within your locality and remember to support our next promotion. We have five clearance offices zoned continentally AUSTRALIA,CHINA,USA,LONDON & ALGERIA. Clearance zones are picked randomly by computer, each winning number falls within any of the clearance zones picked, it is the duty of the approved zonal clearance officer to handle all clearance processes to make sure bank releases won prize in time.

Your prize number falls within Asia region clearance office in Beijing, China . In view of this, your prize will be released from China, your money has been deposited in the bank with insurance coverage.
Your clearance agent will facilitate payment process immediately you contact him.

Contact with your information below:
Full Name:
Marital Status:
Home Phone:
Mobile Phone:
City/Country:
Nationality:
Ref No:
Batch No:

::)  ::)    ::)

zipperhead_cop said:
I betcha it's the Algerian office that contacts you!  ;D

Actually, it's the UK office (supposedly) that sent the email and my prize was in the Asia (China) area.  Weird, huh?  ::)

Many of you may have received the following email.

Dear customer!
Unfortunately we were not able to deliver your postal package you have sent on the 2nd of July in time
because the addressee's address is not correct. Please print out the invoice copy attached and collect the package at our office.
Your United Parcel Service of America

I traced the originating IP address through Whois and it came back as registered to a Chinese cosmetics company. The sender email address is listed as coming from a Danish institute studying congenital disorders. What a strange mix. These spammers can spoof anything it seems.

Wow!  The Central Bank Nigeria is my friend!!  And I have a 10 million dollar contract that I apparently fufilled and simply forgot to get paid for!  Wow, I had no idea. 

Your friend, CENTRAL BANK NIGERIA. ( govnrsanusicbn@sify.com ) (slamido52@yahoo.com) has sent you this information from Yahoo! Personals.
(Email address has not been verified.)

Personal message:
Date: 9/08/2009
NEW CBN CODE 253
second Quarter Payment for 2009.
CONTRACT #: XAV/NNPC/FGN/MIN/009

Attn:Beneficiary.

From the records of outstanding contractors due for payment with the federal

government of Nigeria your name and company was discovered as next on the list of the

outstanding contractors who have not received their payments. I wish to inform you

that your payment is being processed and will be released to you as soon as you

respond to this letter. Firstly, I plead on behalf of my country and the central bank

of Nigeria for not contacting you all this while as regards your contract payments

which I know by now must have cost you some inconveniences.

I am promising you on behalf of the Central Bank of Nigeria that this will not repeat

it self any more, I advice you to co-operate with me and listen to my advice as the

new Governor of central bank of Nigeria (CBN) who resumed office on the 6th of june

will not be held responsible for any lapses or miss-direction of your fund due to

your inability to co-operate with me who is in-charge now as the New Executive

Governor. Also note that from my record your outstanding contract payment is US$

10,000,000.00 (Ten Million United States Dollars Only).
Please re-confirm to me if this is inline with what you have in your record because

one Mr. Harry Williams contacted us recentlly that he was sent by you to claim the

funds as the rightful beneficiary to the funds and also re-confirm to me the

followings.

1) YOUR FULL NAME.
2) PHONE NO.
3) COMPANY NAME, POSITION AND ADDRESS.
4) PROFESSION, AGE AND MARITAL STATUS
5) RESIDENTIAL ADDRESS WHERE THIS FUND WILL BE SENT TO.
6) ATTACH A COPY OF YOUR IDENTIFICATION.

As soon as this information is received, the central bank of Nigeria will not

hesitate to transfer your fund OR Send you your ATM CARD Which you can withdraw and

deposite in your nominated bank account. Call me on my direct number +234-7025438327
As soon as you receive this letter for a serious discussion with me and also furnish

the requested information to my email addresse ( govnrsanusicbn@sify.com )

Hon. Sanusi Lamido Sanusi,
New Executive Governor CBN.
Direct Number: +234-7025438327

zipperhead_cop said:
Wow!  The Central Bank Nigeria is my friend!!  And I have a 10 million dollar contract that I apparently fufilled and simply forgot to get paid for!  Wow, I had no idea. 

Whoa!  What exactly did you do for 10 million?  >:D  ;)

Awhile ago had a young woman come into the office to report someone had hijacked her facebook, hotmail and MSN accounts.  It seemed the night before she was contacted by someone posing as an "old friend" who proceded to ask for info related to account password hints she used.  The person worded the questions has they were trying to make sure they were speaking with the person they met in the past.  The next morning she was locked out of all her accounts.  That evening she started to get calls from relatives and friends asking what the emergency was and why she needed all the money.  It seems the person who hijacked her accounts was posing as her and speaking to people on MSN and through Email saying that she was in an emergency and needed money for everything from utility bills to flights home as she was in trouble and stranded in Mexico.  Two days later her sister, an aunt and a friend also had their MSN/Email account hijacked and started receiving calls from friends/relatives asking what was going on.  Unfortunately her brother fell for the scam before getting ahold of her and wired $1500.00 to the person.

Quiet Riot said:
Awhile ago had a young woman come into the office to report someone had hijacked her facebook, hotmail and MSN accounts.  It seemed the night before she was contacted by someone posing as an "old friend" who proceded to ask for info related to account password hints she used.  The person worded the questions has they were trying to make sure they were speaking with the person they met in the past.  The next morning she was locked out of all her accounts.  That evening she started to get calls from relatives and friends asking what the emergency was and why she needed all the money.  It seems the person who hijacked her accounts was posing as her and speaking to people on MSN and through Email saying that she was in an emergency and needed money for everything from utility bills to flights home as she was in trouble and stranded in Mexico.  Two days later her sister, an aunt and a friend also had their MSN/Email account hijacked and started receiving calls from friends/relatives asking what was going on.  Unfortunately her brother fell for the scam before getting ahold of her and wired $1500.00 to the person.

This type of scam was just in the news:  http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2009/08/09/internet-email-scam.html but I'm pretty sure I heard about it last year, too.

And that, kids, is why I never accept friend requests from people I do not know or have no memory of.  MSN Messenger seems especially bad for this.

Tonight I had a visit a from our friendly Energy One representative who told me how I could save oodles of money by letting him look at my hydro and gas bills. The paragon of civic virtue took exception to me calling him a scam artist. He went on to tell me that my current provider had lost its licence. When I told him he was a crook and I was going to call the police, he sneered at me and told me to go ahead as he had not done anything illegal.

I had had enough at this time and told him to leave. He did not, so I told him he was trespassing. At this point he stepped on the sidewalk and continued his spiel about my current provider loosing its licence and his organization was my only salvation. He finally tired of this and wished me a good day, using my Christian name. At this point, my tolerance cup ranneth over and I informed him that I hoped he would catch a painful, lingering unnamed terminal disease. This seemed to shake his composure and he queried, "really - pause - really?" And I replied, "really!"

Back