• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Simunition Merged Thread- Check Here First

Posted by: BetterThanTheBest
Insert Quote
Any idea when reserve units will start to get this?

Yeah... Lol... Probably in about 2-3 years like everything else that is filtered down to the reserves...

I'm hoping I even get to SEE simunition this summer, nevermind new stuff.

R031 Pte Joe said:
Yeah... Lol... Probably in about 2-3 years like everything else that is filtered down to the reserves...

I'm hoping I even get to SEE simunition this summer, nevermind new stuff.

It likely never will "filter down", since there's no real need for it to be held by Reserve units, it can only be used in approved training areas anyhow.  Most likely it will be controlled just like the current conversion kits, issued during exercises.

I don't know if the 5.56mm stuff is better than the current 9mm system, but Simunition exercises lose their cool factor pretty quick.  The helmet is difficult to breathe or operate in (causes me to get migraines because you can't get enough oxygen during physical exertion), and the amount of stoppages and other malfunctions makes it less than a perfect system.  Don't worry if you don't get to see it.

That said, when the rounds start flying down the two-way shooting range with simunition, it's a lot more realistic, and "effective enemy fire" starts to make more sense.

Redeye said:
It likely never will "filter down", since there's no real need for it to be held by Reserve units, it can only be used in approved training areas anyhow.

I think that's about to change.  Recently they've been doing test-runs with simmunition in a Toronto armory to study how safe it is to use the stuff in that sort of environment.  I haven't heard any official findings from the study, but if all goes well I think the regulations will be relaxed.

Use of simmunition by reserve units "In-Armouries" is already a fact and has been proven very effective as a training tool....

My unit makes use of locally produced modular OBUA sites are already in use...They are set up on the Armouries parade square and can be reconfigured for many scenarios......

While vulnerable (like any training idea / tool ) to over-use / emphasis....it provides reserve units with cost-effective training "in house"....

Steel Badger said:
Use of simmunition by reserve units "In-Armouries" is already a fact and has been proven very effective as a training tool....

My unit makes use of locally produced modular OBUA sites are already in use...They are set up on the Armouries parade square and can be reconfigured for many scenarios......

While vulnerable (like any training idea / tool ) to over-use / emphasis....it provides reserve units with cost-effective training "in house"....

Uh...you sure you're not thinking of Airsoft?  I know we've had modular buildings constructed inside of armories for use with Airsoft weapons, but I've never heard of Simmunition being used in such a way, other than the one test run in Fort York.

The Range in Edmoton is in a building - as long as you can seal it so no rounds leave the sub structure you should be good to go.

1VP was trying to biuld a sim house in the old TOW Pl area - not sure how that turned out....

Posted by: Steel Badger
Insert Quote

Yep, I've seen this little OBUA site and used it shortly. We had to drag all the pieces and set it all up in the parade square of the "new" armouries.  I'm going through BMQ at your unit at the moment! We didn't use anything though, just the old "bang bang, your dead" game... You've got some very awesome Sgt's at your home base BTW...

Joe
BMQ 0205

Anybody know if the Army has the barrels to convert  the Brownings so they can fire Simunition?  If so, what's the NSN?

I know they have some for the Sig p226, but not sure about the browning. Can't see it being too different from the Sig ones, they might even be the same for both pistols. Can't help with the NSN, but I got this from another thread and it might help if you have access to the DIN: It is called the CGCM-Canadian Government Catalogue of Materials and is on the DIN.
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/32922/post-244597/topicseen.html#msg244597

or here is a more up to date one, you need DIN access thou

http://dgeps.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/DTICS/SITE/CGCS_Search_e.asp

I'm not sure if there's a browning barrel for the simunition system, however, the Sig barrel will NOT fit the Browning.

Ok, just checked the simunition website, here's the link for the kits:

http://www.simunition.com/index.php?section_id=91

From their site: 

Here's the pic of the Browning kit:

browning_hp.jpg

Here's the Sig 225 Kit:

sig-p225.jpg

Observe the differences.

The Sig 225 kit comes with extra bits that are needed (one appears to be a mag follower)

As for whether or not the Army has them, well, I am not sure.

NavyShooter

I have talked to the Ontario distributor for Simunition.  The barrels are $214.00 but they will only sell to the military, not to an individual.

Units can local purchase them from Simmunition or R.Nicholls or any other Sim distributor.

Officially the CF does not have BHP sim barrels

CF does have Sig P226 w/ sim kits - I have no idea if they have P225 kits -

Units cannot purchase a weapon, nor ammunition [incl Simunition]; without express auth from NDHQ//DAT/DAPM// in teh case of the latter.  :'(

:warstory: The new 5.56MM C7, C9 and 9MM Simunitions conversion bolts [C& & C9]  and barrels [9MM], respectively, are due to ea LFC Area this Fall.  I'm expecting approx 60,ooo 5.56MM Sim rds ea [blue & red] this Sep.   
:bullet:
cheers... :bullet:.Evocatus. :bullet:

So I just had my first ex using simunition. We used what I was told was the new style, where only the bolt (for C7 and I think C9) or barrel (Browning) are replaced. I think its great as a training aid (even though our OPFOR used regular paintball guns). However, we noticed some serious problems with the ammunition. It seemed to happen at random and seemingly has nothing to do with cleaning the weapon or prep for fire. The plastic, paint filled tips have a tendency to become lodged at random points in the barrel. This can cause stoppages and double feeds. My rifle fired fine for most of the ex until our very last serial, at which point I experienced two catastrophic stoppages that required the C7 to be broken down.

The problem seems to compound itself depending on where the squibs get lodged in the barrel. Often, if the stoppage presents as bolt fully forward, you can go through a tap-rack-and-go and get through one or two rounds before the same stoppage. At the same time, the rounds don't actually leave the weapon, they just lodged behind the existing squib. While playing dead, I was handed and N/S rifle and manage to pull out a live (primer unstruck) round from the chamber, plus a squib that was jammed next to it. After clearing that, I removed four squibs from the barrel but there were more in there. On my own rifle, I removed four.

Has anyone else had this issue? What's a good way to prevent it? If it happens, is there a proper way to remove the squibs? I was told informally that weapons techs are supposed to do this.

This happens a lot with this system, you are using a round headed bullet with a low velocity cartridge. Sometimes they don't feed well. Apparently the rifles with the entire upper purpose built is a lot better.

Back