• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Shaving Superthread- All You Want and More....

dapaterson said:
Among the most stupid existing regulations.  Either beards are safe and can be worn, or are unsafe and cannot be worn.  This is ripe for appeal to bodies outside the military, who will overturn these archaic, foolish regulations.

Guy in my old section has psoriasis and therefore was allowed to grow a beard, because having to shave would cause him physical harm, ie: not safe. I am just lazy and didn't want to shave every day. It does not hurt me to shave so I don't see how this is a stupid regulation. If you want a beard, there are many places you can work that will allow it. No one sprang this on you last minute, its been policy forever and a day.

It's a ABCA tradition, and a relatively new one at that as beards where en vogue in Edwardian Britain.  Big moustaches seemed to take hold in the trenches.

Most foreign armies, including many of the European armies I've worked with, allow beards/goatees/sideburns and don't seem to suffer for it.  It is more than likely a cultural thing.

My point:  If a beard is dangerous, then no one should wear one.  Sailors - sorry.  Pioneers (if we get them back) - sorry.

This half-assed "Well, Sailors have a 1643 dispensation from shaving" or other BS is ridiculous - one set of rules or safety, without historical whinges.

(Though I am aware of the new rules for sailors - no beard if you sail a ship, but they're fine if you sail a desk - another triumph of stupidity and of building us vs them)

And if they aren't a danger, or the risk can be mitigated, then the question remains - why?

Sythen said:
.... I don't see how this is a stupid regulation. If you want a beard, there are many places you can work that will allow it. No one sprang this on you last minute, its been policy forever and a day.
Wow, someone had an extra swig of the 'never pass a fault' koolaid.  :whistle:

Officers don't have batmen...Baldrick...and we don't volley-fire on the left foot anymore either. Things change.

Journeyman said:
Wow, someone had an extra swig of the 'never pass a fault' koolaid.  :whistle:

Officers don't have batmen...Baldrick...and we don't volley-fire on the left foot anymore either. Things change.

Maybe we should stop expecting people to polish boots too.. Or to wash their clothes.. Heck, drill is stupid and no one likes doing it!  :bla-bla:

Maybe we should consider all of those things.

I'm not suggesting we change any of them, merely that minds closed to change solely because it's "been policy forever and a day" probably don't serve anyone well.

The OP has his answer.

I don't see much sense in going through this whole shaving thing yet again.

If interested, search up all the previous discussion already here.

Milnet.ca Staff

recceguy said:
Not to mention, that in an emergency when time is vital to your existence, trying to slather on vaseline, hoping to achieve a seal is just stupid. :facepalm:

I am posting through the lock to point out, again, that attempting to use Vaseline or any other similar product to achieve a better seal is inadvisable.

As thousands of US hippies discovered the hard way during the sixties and seventies, certain agents, CS included, will bind to Vaseline and therefore increase the effects upon skin, especially as washing it off is much more difficult.

Lethal agents would, obviously, present an even greater problem.

Masks need to be properly sized, and beards need to be removed, in order to provide a proper seal.

My roommate told me yesterday about everything at shoppers drugmart being cheaper since the last Thursday is military appreciation day.  I commented that it would be good to stock up on razors and he agreed suggesting that shaving every day is probably as expensive as smoking.

I'm not sure how accurate that is but shaving IS frigging expensive so it made me think-should the cf pay for razors?

It (cf)doesn't pay for smoking because it's a choice.
It pays for prescription glasses because you need to see (doesn't pay for laser surgery)
If you're required to wear civilian attire for a job you get a clothing allowance.
Hell if you jump out of airplanes you even get extra money.

What about shaving? We're required to shave every day (unless we have a having chit)  and it's expensive.  Members who are on a chit and don't shave save decent money.

What about an allowance for razors? 

Then there would have to be one for toothpaste, shampoo, deodorant...etc.  That won't happen either.

I agree the stuff is expensive.  I go to Walmart around Christmas and buy those 'combo packs' that have about 2 months of disposables with shaving gel for $10-$15 bucks and get enough of 'em to do me the year.  Makes it alittle cheaper than the gucci stuff. 

Use regular soap and a shaving brush instead of that fancy canned foam.

Invest in a good straight razor. It'll last for years.

Just learn how to use it properly.

Heaven forbid you cut your throat and deprive us of all the thought provoking questions you post  ::)

Thank You Obedientiazelum, I needed a chuckle this morning.

Wait!  You're serious?

Then what about a Bra allowance for women?  Under the regs, they are required to wear one under their DEU shirt - and bras are expansive (at least the fancy ones I buy for my wife once a year at Christmas as a gift to myself are, but I digress).

Anyhow, if you don't want to spend money on shaving, why don't you ask for a transfer to the Navy? :)

I never realized how pampered I was in the CF until I went to the private sector - lots of stuff I need to do my job comes from my pocket with little hope of recompense.  I too am required to maintian a professional appearance but don't get a clothing or grooming allowance...I get a salary.

I'm kind of surprised, using the same logic, that people haven't tried saying that, since CF members are legally obligated to attend work, their car or bus or bicycle should be paid for by the CF as well...I'd vote for that, even get back in ;D.

MM

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Then what about a Bra allowance for women?  Under the regs, they are required to wear one under their DEU shirt - and bras are expansive (at least the fancy ones I buy for my wife once a year at Christmas as a gift to myself are, but I digress).

There is a bra allowance.  But only because underwear (with the exception of bras) is provided in the Supply system.  $160 per year.

ObedientiaZelum said:
it made me think

Are you sure ?

ObedientiaZelum said:
Hell if you jump out of airplanes you even get extra money.
---
What about an allowance for razors?

Can you actually compare this ? :facepalm:

When I was Shanghai'd to Uzbekistan a few years ago I ended up running out of blades for my Mach3. One of the camp staff got me some throwaways, the ones you can buy for 99 cents apiece. They worked just fine. When I got home I got the old Excel which is considerably cheaper than the Mach3 or the new and improved 16 blade whatever they have now - perhaps you should think of that...

I buy all of my shave gels in the UK now. King of Shaves. One tube lasts me six months no probs and it's awesome on my skin.

Now, if you'd kindly rethink this line of posting, we all know recruits need to carry a spare razor for their locker inspection and we don't want one of those electronic weenies trying to put in a claim for the spares.

Back