• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Next Minister of Defense

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
http://server09.densan.ca/archivenews/060124/cit/060124ct.htm

Retired BG Gordon O'Connor to be the next MND ? Would be great to have a man with military experience in that important job. He would make a great compliment to Hillier.

tomahawk6 said:
http://server09.densan.ca/archivenews/060124/cit/060124ct.htm

Retired BG Gordon O'Connor to be the next MND ? Would be great to have a man with military experience in that important job. He would make a great compliment to Hillier.

Do a search on O'Connor (on this site) and you will see that, any thoughts of O'Connor as MND would NOT be well received.

Tomohawk. O'Connor does not get along with many folks, including it is rumoured, Gen Hillier.  Some think of O'Connor as an old school dinosaur who represents the throngs of little "managerial generals" in plastic green suits of the early/mid-eighties...not at all inspiring!

I personally hope the LCol (Ret'd) Laurie Hawn is made defence minister...perhaps only reaching unit command will serve him well, not having being drawn into the politically charged General ranks and away from the troops!  I've had dinner with Laurie and he's a super guy!  He'd have gotten my voite if I lived in Edmonton!

Cheers,
Duey

I have read that alot of people on this site don't like him to much. I've seen what he says in the papers, and based on that it isnt a too good impression. He's the MP for my riding of Carleton-Mississipi Mills (kanata, suburb of Ottawa) The grit  candidate was much more impressive.
But I cant vote anyways...  :-X

tomahawk
you would think so but this cat is out to lunch.  He has been out of the loop for far too long and has no clue what's going on.  On a high note Harper was very complimentary of us in his speech last night.

To add to that, there is a thread somewhere around here were he is suggesting housing the JTF on a base (ie Pet) away from the public because they are trained killers and out of Ottawa.  Kinda the opposite of what Harper wants.

nd.07 said:
He's the MP for my riding of Carleton-Mississipi Mills (kanata, suburb of Ottawa) The grit  candidate was much more impressive.

You're kidding, right?  Isabel Metcalf is a dud, and she doesn't even live in the riding. 

I think it only fair to bring this to everyone's attention once again (no matter what our feelings):

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/37742/post-312823.html#msg312823

dorionhawk said:
Letter from Gordon O'Connor to the Citizen Editorial board

Letter to Editor
Ottawa Citizen

JTF2

I am writing about the outrageous headline and article concerning my comments and the JTF2. The headline implied words that I never said. It was obviously done to gain as much sensationalism as possible with most of the comments I made left out.  At the interview I was asked if I thought the JTF2 should move from their present location and I said yes. My preference is to have them locate within a base like CFB Petawawa.

The reasons are twofold; first the current plan is to expand them from 300 to 600 personnel. This is too large a force to occupy the site at Dwyer Hill. The second reason is the nature of their tasks and training. They are a counter terrorism force and as such they must be able to deal with terrorists and be prepared to resolve threats through a variety of means including deadly force. They operate in secrecy for self-protection, which is understandable, but as a result they are not open to public scrutiny.  Because of their special skills and their secretive and autonomous nature it is important that they be managed more carefully than other Canadian Forces units. I believe that being located on a base with other units would be the best arrangement for JTF2. 

In closing I wish to reiterate that I did not say what is alleged in the headline. The author of the article chose those unfortunate words. JTF2 is an important and necessary part of the Canadian Forces capabilities, which the Canadian Forces will continue to need into the future. However I believe that they should be located on a military base.

Gordon O'Connor     

Hmm, THERE'S an argument. :eek:

I hope he does his homeworks better to deliver better anylisis if he ever becomes MND.

As we say in French, that doesn't fly high! ;D

Cheers,

If Mr. Oconnor was across the pond I believe the response to that little note of his would be.....

Get Stuffed!

Really who cares where they are located. Leave them alone let them do their job, they seem to be pretty good at it.

George Wallace said:
I think it only fair to bring this to everyone's attention once again (no matter what our feelings):

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/37742/post-312823.html#msg312823
CFL said:
To add to that, there is a thread somewhere around here were he is suggesting housing the JTF on a base (ie Pet) away from the public because they are trained killers and out of Ottawa.  Kinda the opposite of what Harper wants.

I am still waiting for him to reply to my letter about that issue.

General Hillier is a very smart man, so I think he has already laid out a campaign plan to see him through no matter who had won last nights election (except maybe the NDP or Green parties).

Even if Mr O'Conner becomes MND, Hillier can use manoeuvre warfare principles to outflank or simply collapse the bureaucratic OODA loop, and by now I would guess Canada Command, Expeditionary Command, SOF Command and a host of other institutions have enough loyalists to advance transformation even if General Hillier himself is no longer in command. It would be far better, however, for the CDS and MND to have a close working relationship; and I fervently hope both parties see that as well.

I'd be very disappointed if they couldn't.  But nobody's askin' me  ;D.

from another thread

"Laurie Hawn, the newly elected Tory MP for Edmonton Centre and a former air force fighter pilot, joined the military dignitaries on the tarmac for the soldiers’ arrival.

"I have not met Gen. Hillier yet but I think it was good to get involved," he said shortly before trotting 200 metres to where the Airbus was parked"

hopefully this forshadows a cabinet postion, say Min of Def

CFL said:
from another thread

"Laurie Hawn, the newly elected Tory MP for Edmonton Centre and a former air force fighter pilot, joined the military dignitaries on the tarmac for the soldiers’ arrival.

"I have not met Gen. Hillier yet but I think it was good to get involved," he said shortly before trotting 200 metres to where the Airbus was parked"

hopefully this forshadows a cabinet postion, say Min of Def

+1

Funny eh? the Army (and ex-Army) guys wanting a AF MND, over a ARMY one...

Im hopen for Hawn as well. Gordon lost his bearings i also hope they leave Hillier right were he's at. :cdn:

KevinB said:
+1

Funny eh? the Army (and ex-Army) guys wanting a AF MND, over a ARMY one...

Worse yet, Kev...is a tactical aviator endorsing a fighter pilot....EEGAD!  :eek:  It goes against almost everything in my CADPAT blood!  ;D

Cheers,
Duey

Gordon O'Connor is against the use of the Mk 19 because it may leave a dud that could contravene the Ottawa accord banning anti-pers land mines.

That type of attempt to garner attention at our expense is not what I would want as our MND. He is using his imagination and position to screw us (or try to) when he was part of the opposition.

Give the job to the pilot, rather than the stuffed shirt bleating for attention, we need an MND who is on our side, both as citizens and soldiers, and O'Connor is obviously only in it for himself.

Gordon O'Connor is against the use of the Mk 19 because it may leave a dud that could contravene the Ottawa accord banning anti-pers land mines.

Umm, what?

Does this mean no more 40mm's from the M203 or even bombs from cf18s?

That's funny in a sad way.

Back