• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Merged Thread on Gay/ Homosexual Topics and the CF.

They did, but then someone felt their brand was really good and hoisted it up in the air while everyone else was just leaving their's on the table...an uproar ensued.    :blotto:

UnwiseCritic said:
I love how tolerance now means accepting/agreeing with the ideal and or person. It used to mean put up with and allow.

Funny thing with that is you don't tolerate my intolerance, therefore you are intolerant.

+1

Along with the phobification (is that a word?) of everything that used to be described otherwise. Now if you're not tolerant (under their definition) of gays you're homophobic, as if there's some mental disease or mental defect as the reason for your intolerance.

No, you're not, you're just displaying ignorance, not fear.

But until it does, it's not a phobia.

I don't think it's fair to label someone as ignorant or intolerant just because they don't agree with a certain type of lifestyle. 

I wouldn't want to be...an...oh I dunno, a Walmart greeter and I don't understand why some people do that job BUT that doesn't make me  walmartgreeterphobic or a racist or anything other than...a Canadian who doesn't get why some people are Walmart Greeters.

With how far we as a society have gone to be PC, we've become hypocrites as a society, not tolerating anyone who doesn't agree anything and everything.

Eye In The Sky said:
I don't think its fair to label someone as ignorant or intolerant just because they don't agree with a certain type of lifestyle. 

I wouldn't want to be...an...oh I dunno, I Walmart greeter and I don't understand why some people do that job BUT that doesn't make me  walmartgreeterphobic or a racist or anything other than...a Canadian who doesn't get why some people are Walmart Greeters.

With how far we as a society have gone to be PC, we've become hypocrites as a society, not tolerating anyone who doesn't agree anything and everything.

It's not the disagreeing with something that makes a person ignorant.  It's the argument you use.  For example, arguing that having gay boyscout leaders would be dangerous to the organization for whatever stupid reason.

Perhaps.

I have no opinion "for or against" WRT this particular thread.  I am not glad, or offended, etc. 

I just think we are becoming to quick to label people and jump down their throat and call them intolerant and ignorant.  People have their own values and beliefs and they should all be respected, even if we don't agree with them as individuals.

:)

But as we've seen, only agreeable opinions are "credible."    :not-again:

Again, I truly don't give a rat's buttock one way or another on this issue, but I'm an old-school fan of defending [and therefore thinking about] one's point of view.

I myself have to deal every day with my giveafukaphobia, the irrational fear that at some point I may actually start to care what two consenting adults do to each other behind a closed door.  Or an open one, if thats their bag.

Bzzliteyr said:
Now normally I would come in here mentioning how the LGBT community says "don't treat us any different, we're just like you but let's have a parade/raise a flag/etc to show everyone how different we are" but not this time.

Good work.

recceguy said:
What bothers me about the whole thing is that they spent 50 years asking to be treated like everyone else and as equals.

No problem. We obliged.

Now however, as soon as they were not special anymore, they want to be seen and heard as something else. Special days, special flags, special parades, etc.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I just wish they'd make up their minds about what they want.

This is what I have a difficult time understanding.  It's going to sound like a baiting statement but it's not.

A group (not specific to the gay community, I mean any group) wants to be treated the same as everyone else (who wouldn't), they want to be equal and get the job done. Treat them like soldiers first. But then we bring specific attention to how they are different. Woman's week, aboriginals week, whatever else there is.  It's like trying to be the grey man but then volunteering for everything and making sure everyone knows your volunteering, kinda sorta. Isn't it?

I really don't understand it. 
I'm a white straight guy so I'm sure it's easier for me to shrug my shoulders and say no big deal because I've never really dealt with racism or discrimination but I find it's giving off mixed signals.

Strike said:
And there's a sweat lodge on the base.

We need one of those in Petawawa.

UnwiseCritic said:
I love how tolerance now means accepting/agreeing with the ideal and or person. It used to mean put up with and allow.
I totally agree.

Occam said:
I hope it was important enough to lose about $15,000 in commissions on the sale of our existing home and the purchase of a new one, as well as the broker/manager being made aware of the reason we terminated our listing agreement with their brokerage.
Nice!

recceguy said:
I guess letting our serving members garner international attention by marching, in uniform, in Toronto's (and other cities) Pride parades doesn't do that then?

Perhaps the gay community would garner even more support (or perhaps more tolerance?) if this wasn't so often the face of "gay pride".

gay-pride-parade.jpg

I googled gay pride & gay pride Toronto pictures, it's difficult to take anything to do with gay pride parades seriously.

I might be getting off topic though.

Just to throw another loop in....

How about seeing the flag raising not as a "look at us GLBT folks, we're different/special/whatever" message, but more of a "hey, GLBT folks are welcome here in the CF, too" message?  Especially given the history.

OZ - good post.  However I don't know if it's so much that different groups have been fighting to be treated the same. I think it's more that they don't want to be discriminated against and want to have the same rights as everyone else.  It's a very distinct and important difference.

As a woman I don't necessarily want to be treated the same as a man all the time.  I like having someone open a door for me or tell me I look nice when I'm dressed up and out of uniform (Guys telling guys they look good isn't all that common).  Just like a serving Muslim member needs the CoC to understand that their performance may not be the greatest during Ramadan because of fasting. Or a first generation Chinese Canadian needs the CoC to know about the multigenerational family living with them and how that will affect things like postings.

Everyone wants the same rights and doesn't want to be discriminated against but also needs to be recognized as different.

ObedientiaZelum said:
I googled gay pride & gay pride Toronto pictures, it's difficult to take anything to do with gay pride parades seriously.
It is nothing more garish than you would find googling Rio's Carnival.  I would not go to say that it makes it difficult to take BraIlians seriously.  If you do not like what you see, don't google it.

Ok sheep dog....

"actually If you think gays Should be treated less than equal Your homophobic"

That was not said, don't twist things. No one on this entire form has mentioned in the slightest that gays should not be treated as equal. Yet twice you seem to have insinuated that this has been said.

MCG said:
It is nothing more garish than you would find googling Rio's Carnival.  I would not go to say that it makes it difficult to take BraIlians seriously.  If you do not like what you see, don't google it.

From seeing Rio's carnival live and then seeing the picture that OZ posted and from other coverage I've seen of the pride parades they look like they are pretty much the same just different names.  :dunno:

UnwiseCritic said:
Ok sheep dog....

"actually If you think gays Should be treated less than equal Your homophobic"

That was not said, don't twist things. No one on this entire form has mentioned in the slightest that gays should not be treated as equal. Yet twice you seem to have insinuated that this has been said.

I guess you know my stance now that I made it crystal fucking clear x2.

MCG said:

You obviously haven't googeled Rio Carnival and Gay Pride Toronto. Check it out and tell me they're in the same ball park.  (Just a warning, NSFW)

https://www.google.ca/search?q=rio+carnival&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=4wy1UaLhDZTeyQGhu4Bo&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=640

https://www.google.ca/search?q=rio+carnival&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=4wy1UaLhDZTeyQGhu4Bo&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=640#tbm=isch&sa=1&q=gay+pride+toronto&oq=gay+pride+toronto&gs_l=img.3..0l2j0i24l6.5461.9497.0.9676.20.14.1.5.5.0.133.1267.10j4.14.0...0.0...1c.1.16.img.taicoAxfKCw&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.47534661,d.aWc&fp=462926dcaa7e4e1e&biw=1366&bih=640

It's not a point about not liking what I see. My point is maybe the gay community should consider working on the sexual circus image that comes with "gay pride"

milnews.ca said:
Just to throw another loop in....

How about seeing the flag raising not as a "look at us GLBT folks, we're different/special/whatever" message, but more of a "hey, GLBT folks are welcome here in the CF, too" message?  Especially given the history.

Good point. I'd love for the CF to be a more comfortable place for our gay members to work in and more inviting to gay people interested in joining. Some of those guys look really frigging fit  ;D

Strike said:
OZ - good post.  However I don't know if it's so much that different groups have been fighting to be treated the same. I think it's more that they don't want to be discriminated against and want to have the same rights as everyone else.  It's a very distinct and important difference.
Good point as well, something to consider.

As a woman I don't necessarily want to be treated the same as a man all the time.  I like having someone open a door for me or tell me I look nice when I'm dressed up and out of uniform
CF seems to be getting better for guys being able to say this to a female coworker without fear of the harassment hammer coming down on them.

Back