• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Martial Arts Superthread

Im taking Martial Arts class this semester, Jujitsu I think...
Im a white belt :D

I did take Martial Arts way back when I was younger for 3 or 4 years

Piper if you're going to train in BJJ for sport only, then I say it cool and you should go for it. If you're doing it so it'll benefit you in the military I say don't do it. BJJ is what the US Army has adopted and it's an ineffective POS for military applications.

10 yrs off and on WTF TKD.  Going for my black belt in May.  Love to spar and am having a blast helping with kids' classes.

I did Judo for almost two years.  Until some yellow belt jumped onto my back as I was getting up, breaking two of my fingers back to my wrist.  After that I could not really grip for a long while.

My 10-yr old daughter has been in karate for about 3 years. Now getting pretty serious into sparring and grappling too. She's a brawler though - not a lot of finesse yet  ;) Sensei "loves her aggression" though  lol

muskrat - one of the nice things about wtf taekwondo, is that the majority of the adult classes are run at the same time as the children's classes... so, if you were interested in learning a MA along with your daughter, that would be a good option. I know a lot of parents who do this solely because it allows them to 'share' something with their son/daughter.

Anyone here know of any martial arts  or MMA clubs in the Petawawa or Pembroke area.  I've been looking but havent found much yet.

Chech out the bingo room (upstairs) at the Petawawa ice rink.  The one in town, not the one on the base.  I can't remember what nights the taekwondo club trains but if you call the manager's office at the rink they could tell you when it's booked.  Probably stopped for the summer though.

Thanks I'll look into that, so far all i have found was Kung Fu, and Karate, Karate is run at the Civic center on base and i think its geared more towards kids.

You'll have a hard time finding anything offered by any CF institution labelled as MMA.  Has to do with their aversion to combat sports.  Don't get me started.  I know that taekwondo, fencing, karate, etc are all combat sports and are accepted as clubs by PSP.  It has more to do with the lack of a national governing body in the sport than anything else.

Your best bet would be to find a jiu-jitsu club or see if anyone there knows anything about 'submission wrestling' which is what we call it here in Kingston.  (Note that the SW club IS endorsed by the base commander here.)

Give the MMA a few more years - its gaining ground very quickly and will soon see official recognition (I hope).  Good luck though finding something.

Just thought I'd make my post a little less specific...Anyone know of MMA, Ju-Jitsu, boxing, muay thai etc. gyms in Pet or nearby area????

I know this is a lil' late but...I live in P.G. and train under Master Forster Sr. And yes, his son, Master Russell Forster, still teaches Hapkido out of Cold Lake. Hapkido is great because it teaches you meat-and-potatoes punches, kicks, blocks and counters, knife-hand/hammer fist strikes. Plus, you are introduced to crippling/maiming joint-locks right away. It is highly practical and the joint-locks and throws, like aikido, emphasises using the attackers momentum against them; meaning a 160lbs guy can reasonably expect to win against a 240 lbs guy. And the best part, no restrictions. Be as brutal as you need to be. Cheers. =)

Pat Hickey said:
I know this is a lil' late but...I live in P.G. and train under Master Forster Sr. And yes, his son, Master Russell Forster, still teaches Hapkido out of Cold Lake. Hapkido is great because it teaches you meat-and-potatoes punches, kicks, blocks and counters, knife-hand/hammer fist strikes. Plus, you are introduced to crippling/maiming joint-locks right away. It is highly practical and the joint-locks and throws, like aikido, emphasises using the attackers momentum against them; meaning a 160lbs guy can reasonably expect to win against a 240 lbs guy. And the best part, no restrictions. Be as brutal as you need to be. Cheers. =)
Momentum and leverage are two things Brazilian Jiu Jitsu teaches, as well. Myself, I've done BJJ and submission wrestling for about 7 years. Although its a great martial art, Krav Maga (Israeli special forces art) looks like it would be very useful to know.

Question for all: As an infantryman stationed in Edmonton or Petawawa, is it realistic to be able to pursue a martial art class a few times a week off-base?

I enjoy it all I did a bit of Mixed Martial Arts, and a lot of boxing. I'll most definitely take some classes later on in my career(as an infantryman).

A great discussion!

And a testament to the maturity on this forum. I've subscribed to a few others, mostly automotive related, and without exception, martial arts discussions always end with bickering and banning.

As was mentioned here keeping it simple is the key. A parable I learned early on in my martial arts training was that of the cat and the fox:

The cat and fox were sitting in a field one day. The fox asks the cat "what is your favourite way to escape a chasing dog?" The cat simply replies "I only have one way, I climb the nearest high point, and wait until he leaves." The fox, in a mocking tone, tells the cat of all the ways he can escape. Just then, a hungry dog closes on their spot. The cat runs up the nearest tree. Meanwhile, the fox looks to a hollowed out log to hide under, next he considers a fence to shoot under - too low for the dog to follow, while contemplating out-swimming the dog in a nearby creek, the dog catches the fox.

I had to tell myself this story everytime I taught classes. It helped me not only to remember to keep the techniques simple, but also to keep my teachings simple.

How this is relevant to our discussion on military martial arts, it would be that the simplest methods are the ones to be taught. I didn't know about the Marines martial arts program until reading about it here. The way I see it, if it works, it could be adapted for the CF. Why re-invent the wheel, and adapt a non-military program to our needs, if a military specific one already exists?

I think too, that the next logical question is how does this become a reality? I understand that the CF isn't a democracy, and petitioning from the junior ranks is probably not the best way to go. Are there any official forums this can be brought to? Any way to respectfully re-open the issue at a command level?

Back