• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The General Hillier Years. The Merged Superthread

Infanteer said:
Give 'em heck sir.   :salute:

I second the motion.

Frankly, even though I've done more than my fair share of whining lately ... I'm more than willing to do an about face and join Gen Hillier on the offensive.

And, also - he's fighting an uphill battle, trying to coax the Liberals into adequately funding our military.
One of my favouite CO's taught me a pet phrase:   "Reculer pour mieux sauter" (God, I hope I spelled that correctly ... and didn't type a swear word by mistake ... chuckle ...)

Even during an offensive, sometimes it's necessary to give ground (temporarily) ... in order to gain more ground (permanently) ...

So, friends - if Gen Hillier says "Follow me" ... I'm going to be at his six - he deserves no less. :cdn:
COVERING FIRE!!!  

P.S.  I just found another media item - it's a subliminal message in the photo, but ... IMHO Gen Hillier gets full marks for his choice of headdress. :salute:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1107558613061&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154

Show us the money, general pleads
Hillier takes over as Canada's top soldier Remember troops in next budget, he tells politicians
Bruce Campion-Smith, Ottawa Bureau

OTTAWAâ ”Gen. Rick Hillier took over as head of Canada's military yesterday and wasted no time in poking the federal government for shortchanging the country's fighting forces.

With Prime Minister Paul Martin, Defence Minister Bill Graham and dignitaries looking on, Hillier used his inaugural speech as chief of defence staff to implore the government to remember the military in the Feb. 23 budget.

"In this country, we could probably not give enough resources to the men and women (of the Canadian Forces) to do all the things that we ask them to do," Hillier said.

"But we can give them too little and that it is what we are now doing."

Later, Hiller made no apologies for his blunt talk.

"I'm simply articulating what the government needs to understand so they can make those reasoned and intelligent decisions and decide how they allocate resources," said Hillier.

Hillier, a 49-year-old army veteran whose only career goal "was to be a soldier," assumed command of the Armed Forces in an afternoon marked by pomp and ceremony.

"I never dreamt of becoming the chief of defence staff," said Hillier, who replaces Gen. Ray Henault, who is going to Brussels to take up the top military job with NATO.

In a change-of-command ceremony attended by civilian and military representatives of more than a dozen countries, Martin, Graham, Henault and Hillier all spoke of the heroic work undertaken by military personnel.

"As we look ahead to the great role the Canadian Forces are going to play in the years ahead, we understand what a great tradition they come from and how proud you make us to be Canadians," Martin said.

Governor General Adrienne Clarkson, commander-in-chief of the armed forces, said the tragic losses suffered by soldiers "have reminded us the peace and order we cherish are neither accidental nor inexpensive."

But she cautioned that the government might be asking too much of its military.

"I am concerned, as I know everyone here is, by the demands that are being placed upon Canadian Forces personnel and resources," Clarkson said.

In a speech that was self-deprecating, funny and plainspoken, Hillier showed his tenure as chief of defence staff would be different from that of the reserved Henault.

In a nod to the now-settled dispute between Ottawa and Newfoundland over offshore oil revenues, Hillier quipped that he thought his first task as chief might be a peacekeeping mission in his home province.

Hillier, a 30-year veteran, showed why he's popular with the rank-and-file when he singled out individual soldiers in the audience for praise and asked the crowd to give the guard of honour a round of applause.

But the changes Hillier brings to the top job go beyond style. Both Hillier and Martin hinted dramatic changes are to come, a transformation to make the forces more nimble and more responsive.

While the government talks of "institution building" and helping countries fight AIDS and improve health care and education, "none of that will be possible in conflict-ridden states unless security is first established," Martin said.

"The defence of Canada is limited not only to North America but it must be extended around the world."

Speaking to reporters later, Hillier said he wants to give the Canadian Forces "higher profile and therefore greater credibility and ... greater chance to influence regions and countries with our interests and our values."

He said the forces have to be expanded and transformed "to be more relevant and more responsive and more valuable to Canada.

"We know we've been short the necessary resources to do the job here and that has provided some challenges and some difficulties," Hiller said.

"We need to be much more effective at responding when our government and when Canadians need us."

And he said that starts with boosting the military's presence at home, including the Arctic, even if it means that long-standing international military alliances such as NATO have to take a back seat.

Graham said Hillier's experience, including time in Bosnia and Afghanistan, will be "invaluable" as the government reviews its defence policy.

Kirkhill said:
Graham's disappearance is interesting.   Was it a scheduling oversight and he and the PM were fully informed of the content of the speech?

Or does Hillier just know when to pick a fight?

The timing is brilliant if so, with the budget coming up and it being his first day on the job.   After having been praised to high heaven by the Minister and the PM can they turn around and fire him his first day on the job.

re:  MND - I'm no political whiz, but I wonder if it wasn't simply "smart politics" - i.e. letting the new CDS enjoy his promotion (and the spotlight) for at least one day ... ?  Time will tell ...

They're gonna get him! mark my words...!

Shame though...the man seems to genuinely care about the CF.

Slim

Slim said:

Shame though...the man seems to genuinely care about the CF.

All the more reason why all of us should loyally fight harder to support him.

An army cannot be administered. It must be led.
- Franz-Joseph Strauss, 1957

Defence Minister Bill Graham cancelled a scheduled news conference with Hillier that was follow the speech. A spokesperson for Graham denied that it had anything to do with comments made by Hillier, saying the minister had to catch a plane.

....or a train, car, anything.....just get me outta here, now!

Wouldn't this be nice if the seemingly "safe" appointment started to bite them on the ass right away? ;)

Governor General Adrienne Clarkson, commander-in-chief of the armed forces, said the tragic losses suffered by soldiers "have reminded us the peace and order we cherish are neither accidental nor inexpensive."

But she cautioned that the government might be asking too much of its military.

"I am concerned, as I know everyone here is, by the demands that are being placed upon Canadian Forces personnel and resources," Clarkson said.

Interesting that the CDS, Hillier, was apparently backed in his pronouncement by his Commander-in-Chief, the GG.  She is not supposed to make political statements, all her statements are supposed to be non-political and/or approved by the government of the day.

This statement strikes me as treading about as close to the line as she could reasonably go.  A concern that Resources don't meet Tasks.  That is getting perilously close to involvement in the Budget process.

I like this GG.  And I like what I have seen of Hillier.

Isn't reading tea-leaves fun? ;D

Slim said:

Get him how Slim?  As I said before, they can't hold any career related issues over his head as some sort of "ransom".

Infanteer said:
Get him how Slim?   As I said before, they can't hold any career related issues over his head as some sort of "ransom".

I hope they don't...But the Liberals have demonstaighted time and time again that they can play dirty pool when political careers are on the line.

Like I said...Shame as he really seems to care.

Slim :salute: :cdn:

P.S. I have always liked this GG as she has always supported the troops...I didn't see Steven Staples spending Christmas with the CF in Kabul!

Slim said:
I hope they don't...But the Liberals have demonstaighted time and time again that they can play dirty pool when political careers are on the line.

Like I said...Shame as he really seems to care.

Slim :salute: :cdn:

P.S. I have always liked this GG as she has always supported the troops...I didn't see Steven Staples spending Christmas with the CF in Kabul!

I don't think the media would let it slide if the Liberals tried spanking him over this.   They probably don't want to a risk a scandal or something that would cause risk to an already shaky House of Commons.

It also wouldn't be in the PMs best intrest to offend the GG on this either, especially seeing a major vote in commons (on a touchy issue)is probably going to be very soon, and could lead to a vote of no confidence.

For all of our sake, I sincerely hope that you are wrong Slim. But I tend to agree, Lt Gen Hillier might have come out a little too strong for the " lieberals" and if he doesn't change his tune soonest might just find himself "retired"!

Well, looks like more toes are getting bruised,....

Mon, February 7, 2005

Brass knuckles

New forces boss KO's 'dreadful' defence plan
By STEPHANIE RUBEC, OTTAWA BUREAU

CANADA'S NEWLY minted chief of defence staff took an axe to the Liberal government's top-secret blueprint detailing future military missions and purchases only days after his appointment, sources say. A senior defence department official said Gen. Rick Hillier took one look at the much-ballyhooed defence policy review shortly after his promotion Jan. 14 and scrapped it.

"It was boring, dry and dreadful," an official close to Hillier told Sun Media of the report, which would have had the blessing of outgoing CDS Gen. Ray Henault.

REWRITING REVIEW

"People have been just madly rewriting the thing."

Prime Minister Paul Martin ordered a blueprint outlining the future of the military and Canada's role abroad after the federal election.

But the Liberal government has repeatedly put off releasing the review, which will lay out priority military missions and dictate hardware purchases.

Defence Minister Bill Graham, who has been forced to repeatedly revise the release date, pushed hard to have Hillier appointed to the top military job in Canada.

And Graham was completely behind Hillier's decision to overhaul the defence blueprint with fresh ideas, says an official in his office.

NEW DIRECTION

"It was a 180-degree turn," a defence department source said. "(Hillier) started from scratch."

An official close to Graham said he worked hand-in-glove with Hillier developing the new direction for the military.

Sources shot down reports that say the new policy will reduce the air force and navy to support roles, and focus entirely on boosting the army.

The overhaul of Canada's military will be accompanied by a new vision statement for Canada's aid, trade and foreign affairs. CIDA has said it will cut down the number of countries getting aid, and foreign affairs wants more diplomats working abroad.

No wasting any time, is he?  ;D

If these changes turn out to be more than just a fast start, then perhaps some positive change is really on the way. For the first time in a long time.

Time will tell... I'll actually allow myself to be an optimist on this one!

I just hope that revamping the plan doesn't slow things down too much...

"It was boring, dry and dreadful,"

Not sure I would have phrazed things in quite that way, but whatever works I guess...

I hope the govt lets him implement it though. :cdn: :salute:

Slim

apparently he's going to be at work today. maybe I'll run into him, I'm sure he'll have a talk with dukes coy pers that are left, I see it coming.
good to hear that he's got the ball rolling though, I've heard more press releases with him already then I've ever heard of from General Henault.
Greg

I'm going to cross my fingers on this one.......  ;)

I'm sure he'll change something....if the damn Liberals allow it.

Regards

IMHO this is exactly what the CF needed: a public shot in the arm (if not a kick in another part of the government's anatomy) from its chief. It's not that what he said is particularly new, it's the timing and the venue.
As for the Liberals disciplining him somehow, with the government in minority mode at the moment, the last thing in the world they want is a public dust-up over spanking a soldier for telling the simple truth. There are enough reporters covering the military these days that they just know they'd take a shit-kicking if they tried anything against Gen. Hillier ...
Plus, I hear via the grapevine that PMPM has taken a personal shine to Gen. Hillier, so maybe he really is bulletproof. Good on him for taking advantage of it.  :salute:

The question is will it be just one element that gets that shot in the arm like many of us suspect or will it be Forces wide.  :-\

Different question ex-Dragoon: the shot in the arm the new CDS gave last week was an instant morale boost for the whole Canadian Forces.
The budgetary shot in the arm is a whole other issue. One hopes that Gen. Hillier realizes he's now chief of all the services, not just the one that wears green ... but this is still a promising start.

I hope he realizes that as well GGBoy but honestly I will believe that when I see it. Until then I am not too optimisitc.

Back