• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The General Hillier Years. The Merged Superthread

It makes you think that he may be reading some of the running commentary on some of the threads here.

GW

Oh my God whats that wierd tingling feeling....wow maybe some optimism for the Navy from RH that I was not feeling before.

I am on board with the CDS because
(a) This idea and thinking sounds new and "out of the box";
(b) It might actually sort out some dead weight in the CF; and
(c) He has the same first name I do (most important factor of all).

I like everything he's done except for pushing for the MGS and dismantling of the pioneers and mortars.

And what needs to be done? Gen. Hillier, who has commanded more overseas operations than many of his predecessors, said there will be some added expense involved but acknowledged he has to be realistic:

â ” No more independent deployment of services, with ad hoc planning of large-scale operations by hastily assembled command elements drawn from the army, navy and air force. The new force will be jointly commanded and able to deploy battle groups or task forces quickly and efficiently.

â ” Overseas operations will be less spread out, with larger forces focused on and deployed to fewer places, he said.

â ” Canada's fleet of CF-18 fighter-bombers must be equipped with precision munitions for overseas operations but they will also likely take on a greater role in domestic security and defence. â Å“It doesn't have to be either-or,â ? said the general.

â ” The air force is already taking on a bigger role in surveillance, which may require upgrades or replacement of the Aurora aircraft fleet and the purchase of unmanned aerial vehicles.

â ” The navy's controversial submarine fleet, still reeling from October's fatal fire, must be brought up to scratch and employed in coastal security and defence, either off Canada's coasts or elsewhere, said Gen. Hillier.

â Å“We need to set priorities,â ? he said of the Forces in general. â Å“We need to walk through the various options that are available.â ?

Fundamental to the process will be recruitment of 5,000 new members and 3,000 reservists, and some much-needed attention to the foundation â ” training, weapons, ammunition and infrastructure such as runways and jetties.

Oh my GOD!! Is there a light at the end of the tunnel? Lets wait and see.

CFL said:
I like everything he's done except for pushing for the MGS and dismantling of the pioneers and mortars.

I'm with you there CFL. All those in favour of beards in the Army!? Say Aye!  AYE!!

One thing we all can agree on is the plan to reduce the size and number of headquarters.

Far too much of our resources and manpower is given to all of the various headquarters, that can be better used elsewhere. 

I'm backing Gen Rick all the way on this one!

Could it be...Could it really be...That, at last, we have hope again? :cdn:

Andy

Lance Wiebe said:
One thing we all can agree on is the plan to reduce the size and number of headquarters.

Far too much of our resources and manpower is given to all of the various headquarters, that can be better used elsewhere.  

I'm backing Gen Rick all the way on this one!

He has my 110% support just from the interview on the Tube were he stated the Army needs money and he will push for it and at the same time cut the bureaucracy we have.

"I would also like to see is that Genaral Officers don't have to swear allegaince to the serving Governmant and stay with our Official Oath of Allegiance."

What do you mean?

To all I deleted some of what I posted and gett back with the proof as CFL can vouch with out the proof it can cause a maelstrom which I do not wish to cause.

I'm hearing on the morning news that Gen Hillier has said that the CF has to be capable of full intensity combat if it wants to continue to do Peacekeeping.  If what the radio news is saying is true, are there overtones in the background to changing our direction from "Lighter" to "Medium" or even "Heavy" capabilities, or are we going to stay "Light" and pretend that we are a capable Combat Force?

I'll wait and see.  The pace of the news seems to be picking up.

GW

What a busy boy our new CDS has been! I see his smiling face all over the papers this morning, including both national newspapers, the Toronto Star (gasp!), the Ottawa Citizen, Vka Times-Colonist, Edmonchuk Journal and assorted TV and radio hits. Apologies in advance for the length, but I've compiled some of Gen. Hillier's "greatest hits" below for reading over your morning coffee.
Here he is in Canadian Press ...

By STEPHEN THORNE
Sunday, February 13, 2005 Updated at 3:55 PM EST
Canadian Press
Toronto â ” Canada will need to buy heavy-lift helicopters to transport troops and equipment around war zones and other theatres of operation as part of a comprehensive plan to revamp the Canadian Forces, says the new chief of defence staff.
The man engineering an overhaul of the Canadian military says the new policy review will not favour one service over another. In fact, despite reports to the contrary, the air force will be more important than ever.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050213.whillly0213/BNStory/Front/

In the Toronto Star...

Top general plots bold new mission
BRUCE CAMPION-SMITH
OTTAWA BUREAU
OTTAWAâ ”Go big and hit hard.
As Canada considers how to tackle "failed and failing states," that's the advice from the country's new top general.
Gen. Rick Hillier has his own vision of how it should happen â ” Canadian soldiers hitting the beach at some global hot spot from new troop-carrying vessels while helicopters and fighter jets keep vigil overhead.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1108336208444&call_pageid=970599119419

The Globe & Mail ...
Combat role of troops is vital, Hillier says
By  PAUL KORING
Monday, February 14, 2005 - Page A7
General Rick Hillier, Canada's new top soldier, has a sweeping vision of a dramatically transformed military, as capable of full-blown combat in foreign fields as purifying water in the wake of tsunamis.
"We've got to be able to do the entire spectrum of operations, from the humanitarian assistance like the DART in the tsunami disaster, through to nation-building and stabilization operations . . . through to being able to fight and win in combat operations," Gen. Hiller said yesterday in an interview.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20050214/HILLIER14/TPNational/TopStories

And last, but not least, the National Post (I've reproduced this in its entirety because the site's password protected):

Top general wants huge warship for new task force: Major overhaul
National Post
Monday, February 14, 2005
Page: A6
Section: Canada
Byline: Chris Wattie
Canada's top general says he needs a big amphibious expeditionary warship to realize his plans for a Canadian task force to take our navy, army and air force anywhere in the world for everything from humanitarian missions to all-out wars.
General Rick Hillier outlined his ambitious plan for the Canadian Forces in an interview with the National Post yesterday, a plan that will require a top-to-bottom reorganization of all three services and an infusion of new soldiers and equipment.
"We're talking about taking army task forces, navy task groups and air capability ... and have it ready to deploy either in Canada or around the world as an entity that says 'Canadian' on it -- a Task Force Maple Leaf if you will," Gen. Hillier said, adding with a smile: "I like that name."
Gen. Hillier, who was sworn in as Chief of Defence Staff less than two weeks ago, said he will need a big, new vessel to carry up to 1,500 troops, heavy equipment and new air force heavy lift helicopters to international hot spots, and he will need it soon.
"What we're going to clearly need is the ability to project our men and women and the capabilities that they bring with them around the world," said Gen. Hillier. "We'll have to find something different that allows us to do that. We're still looking, all the options are out there."
The General said his staff is considering expanding the navy's Joint Support Ship program to fill that role, but is also looking at larger and more expensive vessels to become the flagships of a future Canadian expeditionary force.
"What we need is something that is going to allow us to project power across the shore, from here to our next theatre of operations, whether that's in the north part of Canada or on the coast of Canada or around the world," he said.
"Whether our Joint Support Ships can be shaped to give us that capability is the first question we will ask."
The Joint Support Ship program, a $2.1-billion plan to build three or more vessels by 2011, will combine the roles of a tanker for refuelling other warships at sea, a transport for ground troops and their equipment and an offshore command post or hospital.
But each of the vessels, which are still on the drawing board, will be able to carry only 200 soldiers and a limited amount of equipment. Their flight decks would be able to accommodate only four medium-sized helicopters.
So Gen. Hillier said Canada may have to acquire a ship like the Royal Navy's HMS Albion, an 18,500-tonne, 176-metre-long amphibious assault ship that can carry up to 700 Royal Marines and their equipment and armoured vehicles.
Another possibility is the U.S. Navy's San Antonio class, an even larger troopship and helicopter carrier, but the General said those vessels might be out of Canada's price range.
"Those U.S. ships are enormously powerful, capable ships without question," he said. "They're also enormously expensive."
Gen. Hillier said his envisioned task force will also need new heavy transport helicopters to replace the air force's Chinook helicopters that were sold to the Netherlands in the 1990s. "We'll need that medium or heavy lift to move around that theatre of operations," he said.
Gen. Hillier would not say how much money his over-burdened troops will need from this month's federal budget to begin making his planned expeditionary force a reality, but in his first speech as head of the Canadian Forces last week he was pointedly critical of military underfunding.
Gen. Hillier acknowledged his plans are "a little bit pre-emptive" of the government's defence policy review, expected to be unveiled this spring to outline the future direction of the military.
But he does not want to wait before acting and intends to start putting his proposed task force together almost immediately. "We'll build one task force as soon as we possibly can," he said. "I want to get there sooner rather than later, I'll tell you that."
Gen. Hillier, a 30-year career army officer and veteran of missions in Bosnia and Afghanistan, stepped into the limelight within minutes of being sworn in as the head of the Canadian Forces.
The General, whose reputation for bluntness has made him a favourite among the rank-and-file members of the military, said yesterday he has no plans to tone down his language or lower his public profile.
"Canadians realize that the armed forces have a fundamental and valuable role to play -- sometimes they just need to have that articulated a little bit more clearly for them," he said. "As Chief of Defence Staff, part of that role is mine."
Gen. Hillier denied published reports last month suggesting the army would become the pre-eminent service under his leadership, at the expense of the air force and navy.
"There are three legs to the stool. You pull one of them away and the stool will tumble: It doesn't work," he said. "There is a role for air force; there is a role for the navy; there is a role for the army, but the best role is when all three are working together and the three-legged stool sits upright nicely."
And he dismissed concerns in naval circles that Canada's trouble-prone new submarines, including HMCS Chicoutimi, damaged in a fire last year that killed one crew member, could be scrapped.
"We've got those submarines, they're enormously capable ... and there is an incredible use that we can make of them. So I would say simply, let's get on with it."
Gen. Hillier admitted that the Canadian Forces' top generals have "a lot of work to do" before his expeditionary force becomes a reality and said the details of his plan have yet to be fleshed out.
"I have a vision of where we need to go here, but to be able to describe it in specific detail, I'm not quite ready to do that yet," he said.
But he said he is optimistic that there is more public and political support for the military now than at any time in the past two decades. "I think there's opportunity here, I really do ... I think Canadians have been much better informed and educated about their Canadian Forces; I think our own government committees have laid out very clearly the investment required for the Canadian Forces; [and] I think there's enormous support across our country.
"We're at the point right now where we can make significant change."

"or are we going to stay "Light" and pretend that we are a capable Combat Force"

thats got my vote.

GGboy said:
... Canada's top general says he needs a big amphibious expeditionary warship to realize his plans for a Canadian task force to take our navy, army and air force anywhere in the world for everything from humanitarian missions to all-out wars. ...

Hopefully somebody can fill in the details ... I remember reading that the USN had ordered some ships, but then due to budget cuts ...
(i.e. sorry for not being able to remember the names of class of these ships, but I seem to recall they were either helicopter carriers, landing assault ships, or ... something that would be "good enough" and available much more quickly than if we designed them from the keel up ... and then had them built by Liberal party cronies ...)

I think you mean the San Antonio class LPDs (Landing Platform Dock):

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ship/lpd-17.htm

Back