• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The education bubble

Status
Not open for further replies.
GnyHwy said:
Apologies if you thought I was targetting you.  Perhaps I jumped the gun, but I get uppity and find it pointless when someone introduces themselves with their political affiliation; especially with a topic such as education where bipartisanship is necessary.

But many people, people like Charles Murray I think, would say to you that the education industry is already partisan and that it is the "education establishment" that tries to stifle innovation. The "charter schools" movement, as I understand it from my time in America, is trying to offer innovative counters to the "establishment" ~ like "classical curricula" ~ but, assuming what Murray says is true, the educrats fight back using e.g. labour laws. I'm sure the teachers' union and the state department of education will say "we're just obeying the law," but I'm equally sure the charter school proponents see it as stonewalling.

Why stonewall at all? Because charter schools and other innovations - like the Texas Academy of Arts and Science and Bard Early College Initiative - threaten to upset the education monopoly that the traditional faculties of education, teachers unions and boards of education have established. Monopolies aren't good at competing; once a monopoly is broken it usually withers and dies.

For a self professed libertarian like Charles Murray the monopolistic, even parasitic education industry is too good (or bad) and example of why government is, generally, counterproductive. I would guess that most libertarians have the educrats high on their hit lists.

Yes!  A small victory for the old farts club.  Hopefully other provinces follow suit. 

Basic arithmetic back in class
Manitoba kids to learn to do math the old way
By: Nick Martin

When Manitoba children return to school in September, they will encounter a revised math curriculum that expects them to memorize their times tables and learn to multiply and divide on paper and in their heads.

Also, children from kindergarten to Grade 8 will learn to do arithmetic before they use a calculator, parents will have a website helping them understand the math their kids are learning, and teacher candidates will be expected to take the heavier math courses in high school they'll later teach to children.

"That is basic foundational math they need to know -- that is knowing how to do conventional math... counting, memorizing math facts," Education Minister Nancy Allan said in an interview Monday. "Let's face it: Doing math in your head is important."

The minister said the revised curriculum makes Manitoba the first province in Western Canada to go back to placing an emphasis on basic skills previous generations had.

"This is really, really exciting," Allan said. "This has come out of two years of serious work with our education partners. We have met with all the math professors, the superintendents have been part of this.

"We have made some curriculum changes, we have put in some benchmarks to help everyone get there," she said.

Every school division in Manitoba will have a numeracy adviser overseeing implementation of the new curriculum.

"I heard from parents" that their kids were lacking basic arithmetic skills, Allan said. "It was during the (2011) election campaign, and I picked this up on the doorstep."

It all starts in September, Allan said.

Math professors Anna Stokke of the University of Winnipeg and Robert Craigen of the University of Manitoba applauded the government's moves. Their Western Initiative for Strengthening Education in Math (WISE Math) group had been critical of the move away from basic skills of adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing and away from memorizing multiplication tables.

Said Stokke: "All four standard algorithms have been put back in the curriculum (the vertical addition, subtraction, multiplication and long division previous generations learned in school). Parents were especially upset about these being excluded and a lot of kids were not learning how to add, subtract, multiply and divide efficiently.

"There is a specific requirement for times-table memorization now," Stokke said. "They have removed most of the language that disparaged practice or pencil-and-paper math. Language discussing the importance of practice, efficient computation and knowing math facts automatically was added."

Stokke said the province has decided technology can enhance but not replace learning.

But Stokke said much more could and should be expected of students in every grade than is required in the revised provincial curriculum: "We think that Manitoba students are capable of achieving much more than is being asked of them, and this is a curriculum that severely underestimates what kids are capable of learning."

Craigen noted the basic math skills "are the procedures everyone learned in grade school. Everyone, that is, until the recent WNCP (Western and Northern Curriculum Protocol) math curriculum as currently used across Western Canada (was introduced), at which point ministry officials, consultants and education faculties put on a concerted effort to convince teachers to avoid introducing them.

"This sent many teachers and most parents into confusion and left children without effective, efficient procedures for performing the most elementary tasks of arithmetic," Craigen said.

He said the prevailing attitude in recent years has been "that it is better for children to invent their own methods and to always have to think through the details of a mathematical problem, including elementary arithmetic, rather than using established methods."

Allan said the province will provide parents with a website to help them understand what their kids are learning. It will also allow parents to pose questions.

Stokke and her group had been especially critical of faculties of education accepting candidates who may have only studied consumer math in high school, but who would then graduate and teach applied math and pre-calculus to children.

Allan said talks are underway to fix that.

"We are in discussions with post-secondary institutions to ensure (university faculty of education) students are prepared to teach. We have to be sure our teacher candidates are prepared," the minister said.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/basic-arithmetic-back-in-class-211939191.html

Thucydides said:
I think you are conflating a number of different things.

These are Charter Schools, which means the parents control the resources but the educators are still hired teachers. The primary difference between a Charter School and a Public Schools is that if the children are falling below whatever standard has been set for scores like SATs or whatever methodology has been chosen, teachers will be replaced by ones who are capable of doing the job. The curriculum is set AFAIK by the State educational authorities. Canadian charter schools in Alberta operate in much the same manner, and provide impressive results. Public schools in Edmonton (not sure about other districts) have chosen to compete against charters by specializing; students can choose to go to school "X" for the theater program, school "Y" for the science and technology program or school "Z" for music or whatever specialty program they want to offer, and are also getting better results than conventional public schools.

What you seem to be talking about is parochial private schools and home schooling, which are two entirely different subjects.

On the subject of qualifications, parents fall in the bell curve like everyone else, but some of the parental home schoolers are either ex teachers themselves, or hold advanced education or degrees (and a fraction will have advanced degrees, and be more qualified than the teacher with a BA.), so home schooling success is more due to motivation than intrinsic qualifications or credentials.

WRT "teaching to the test", my children have been in the public system in Ontario long enough for me to see how the Ontario "standardized tests" for literacy and numeracy are handled by the school...one guess as to how the schools spend an academic year to prepare.

I was the square peg in the round hole at school, how does such a school deal with square pegs?

Colin P said:
I was the square peg in the round hole at school, how does such a school deal with square pegs?

Hopefully better than public schools deal with the issue (labelling, heavy handed suggestions that the child be medicated, and other manipulations designed to make both parent and child get into the round hole). Ask me how I know this....

There is a lot wrong with the education system. As with most government systems. We just get lucky with enough good people is those jobs, usually.

I know over here on the best coast teachers wanted o get rid of standardization. Thus a lack of accountability.

And in the states they had to stem the amount of drugs being given to children because the amount of prescriptions being handed out every year was accelerating rather quickly. In north America we do like to hand out our drugs. What a good band aid they make. But how many drugs do you know of that have very little side effects? And ones you wouldn't normally think of. Take alcohol and marajuana, two supposedly harmless drugs. But they do what most drugs do. They shut down your conscience, not a great side effect.

As for the school system I think it is largely driven for women to succeed. I don't believe this was intentional. Proof in the matter is take any class, the women will have a much higher average. But are they really smarter than men? At least with in the proportions you will find in highschool. Probably not. As at university level the difference is not huge.

And in the early 1900s school systems changed from an entrepreneurial mindset. To making it so people would work in factories. There's not much room for individual thought.

I also know that way too many people have degrees that they do not ever use, at work. That there is a surplus of educated people looking for jobs, any job. They are battling for internships that once completed they are promptly kicked out of the company. (usually doing the work of an otherwise paid employee, thus it is illegal if they are not paid. And that a business degree is least paying now. History students make more.

But I'm done ranting for now.

UnwiseCritic said:
As for the school system I think it is largely driven for women to succeed. I don't believe this was intentional. Proof in the matter is take any class, the women will have a much higher average. But are they really smarter than men? At least with in the proportions you will find in highschool. Probably not. As at university level the difference is not huge.

I think there is another factor at play here.  I'm just spitballing, but do you think that there maybe a higher percentage of boys now making their X-box and other "friend networks" a priority?

Don't get me wrong, I had a 2600.  But, I also seen the sun shine a few hours a day and generally had respect for my teachers. 

Simpler times back then I guess.  You could beat the crap out ofer discipline your kids without worrying about someone calling the cops.  Or worse... posting the video on Facebook. 

UnwiseCritic said:
But I'm done ranting for now.

Sorry but your rant has a lot of random things portrayed as fact that I don't think are facts at all...

UnwiseCritic said:
And that a business degree is least paying now. History students make more.

This seems to be the strangest, most pulled-out-of-thin air example... The tool I am using found here http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/time-to-lead/transforming-the-ivory-tower-the-case-for-a-new-postsecondary-education-system/article4588986/ shows that the median income for a business grad is 26% higher than that of a history grad, with 94% of business grads employed vs 89% of history grads employed.

Well I was forced to take jewelry making and sowing classes.... Forced

I found  males did much better in classes where only tests mattered. Kind of like real life. None of this poster making with sparkles for bonus points.

As for my stat of business/history. It was from macleans magazine. As for the internship problem, macleans and CBC.

The 1900s school shift. My English teacher.

The drug thing is from a book I read a long time ago. I'll check the bibliography for sources

UnwiseCritic said:
The 1900s school shift. My English teacher.

I wonder of this had to do with entrepreneurs understanding that there was little money in pre-university schooling (BTW it is a shame that post secondary is a profit organization).

Entrepreneurs want to make money, not tie it up in bureaucracy.

A series of related posts on Instapundit yesterday (10 Jul 2013) WRT the education bubble. The growing financial stresses are causing some divisions within the political establishment, and perhaps also within the various client bases. University administration is all for the constant flow of subsidized loan money, most people still are indoctrinated to believe that higher education is a greater good for everyone (it is a greater good for some people who have the self discipline and preparation to do it; not so much for people lacking these qualities), and young people seduced by the flow of "free" money without realizing the strings attached.

The specifics in the United States are different of course, but I can see variations of the same scenarios and virtually the same client bases being in play here in Canada (think the students in Quebec as an extreme example of the "young people seduced by "free" money education, for example). Most of the same solutions will come to Canada in the end as well (large scale on line education and accreditation, for example) as the economic logic overwhelms traditional structures and attitudes:

http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/

DEMOCRATS DIVIDED OVER STUDENT LOANS: The Hill: Warren Rips Manchin On Student Loan Proposal. “Liberal firebrand Sen. Elizabeth Warren (Mass.) blasted a fellow Democratic senator Tuesday as a dispute over student loan rates escalated divisions within the party. The clash, which is highly unusual among party colleagues in the upper chamber, came at a private caucus meeting about a subject that is helping Republicans land blows against their Democratic opponents. . . . The bipartisan plan endorsed by Manchin and the others would set interest rates for undergraduate Stafford loans at the 10-year Treasury rate plus 1.85 percent. It would set the rates for unsubsidized graduate Stafford loans at the 10-year Treasury rate plus 3.4 percent.”

Here’s some recommended reading on the problem, which transcends Warren’s rather simplistic take.

UPDATE: Related: Student Loan Pretenders: New evidence that subsidized debt is harming borrowers.
Government researchers continue to show that federal student loans are hazardous to both students and taxpayers. But Senate liberals don’t seem to care, as long as the money keeps flowing to their constituents in the nonprofit academic world. . . .

The Congressional Budget Office recently estimated taxpayer losses on student loans at $95 billion over the next decade. Meanwhile, researchers at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York have been tracking the harm to young borrowers. Student-loan debt used to be a rough indicator of economic progress, because it meant that the borrower was attaining higher levels of education, long associated with higher incomes and lower unemployment.

But in recent years an historic surge in student-loan debt is changing education for many borrowers from a winning investment into a staggering burden. Such debt has nearly tripled since 2004 and now hovers around $1 trillion, with defaults rising on student loans and other types of debt held by these young borrowers.

Whereas credit scores used to be similar for young people with or without student-loan debt, New York Fed economists find a divergence after 2008. “By 2012, the average score for twenty-five-year-old nonborrowers is 15 points above that for student borrowers, and the average score for thirty-year-old nonborrowers is 24 points above that for student borrowers,” they note in a recent report.

Fed researchers are now struggling to understand the impact on markets such as housing and autos given the “lowered expectations of future earnings and more limited access to credit” for those who made large leveraged bets on education. Many of them must now delay starting families and buying their first homes.

The problem here isn’t an insufficiency of credit. It’s that prices are too high.

ANOTHER UPDATE: Student Loan Compromise Pits Dem Against Dem.

MORE: Reader Nathan Brindle writes:
I had student loans in school that totaled about $20,000 by the time I left grad school (in 1993). (Obviously I didn’t attend an Ivy!) The only reason they didn’t total $30,000 was because I had a fellowship for one year of grad. And I paid the $20K off in 10 years – no consolidations, although I did take three years of deferral while I got settled into my new job (which had nothing to do with my degree tracks, FWIW).

What I can’t understand about student loans is this: The government thinks it’s OK to loan tens of thousands of dollars to 18-22 year old kids with no jobs and only imagined prospects on no more than a handshake and a signature. And it guarantees those loans, too, even it if will pursue you to the grave to pay them back. Some kids end up with enough in student loans that they could have bought a house, instead.

And there’s the rub. No bank would give a mortgage loan to a 18-22 year old with no job and no prospects on no more than a handshake and a signature. Not only would it be a dangerous risk, but it would be bloody immoral on its face to do such a thing to a young person just starting out in life. Why then is it considered appropriate and moral to load up the same cohort of kids with mortgage-sized student loan debt?

What exactly is so valuable about a college education that warrants mortgage-sized costs to get one, when so many students fail to complete their courses of study (and probably shouldn’t have been in college anyway)? I worked for the university when I was in grad school, and let me tell you, I met a LOT of students who were only there because some high school guidance counselor or their misguided parents had pushed them to attend.

Higher education bubble, indeed. Let that sucker pop, let the bad and mediocre colleges and universities wither, and let a million MOOCs bloom in its place. Let professors compete for students. Because competition is good!

I think we’ll see that.

Multiple links embedded in the articles as well

Remember my posting that the level of education has declined over the years? Read this article and try the linked test. Be prepared to be stumped. This is what public school students learned prior to the Great War:

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/smartnews/2013/07/no-youre-probably-not-smarter-than-a-1912-era-8th-grader/

No, You’re Probably Not Smarter Than a 1912-Era 8th Grader

In the early years of the 20th century, the students in Bullitt County, Kentucky, were asked to clear a test that many full-fledged adults would likely be hard-pressed to pass today. The Bullitt County Geneaological Society has a copy of this exam, reproduced below—a mix of math and science and reading and writing and questions on oddly specific factoids–preserved in their museum in the county courthouse.

But just think for a moment: Did you know where Montenegro was when you were 12? Do you know now? (Hint: it’s just across the Adriatic Sea from Italy. You know where the Adriatic Sea is, right?)

Or what about this question, which the examiners of Bullitt County deemed necessary knowledge: “Through what waters would a vessel pass in going from England through the Suez Canal to Manila?” The Bullitt geneaological society has an answer sheet if you want to try the test, but really, this question is just a doozie:

A ship going from England to Manilla by way of the Suez Canal would pass through (perhaps) the English Channel, the North Atlantic Ocean, Bay of Biscay (possibly), Strait of Gibraltar, Mediterranean Sea, Suez Canal, Red Sea, Gulf of Aden/Arabian Sea, Indian Ocean, Gulf of Thailand (may have been called Gulf of Siam at that time), South China Sea.

Eighth graders needed to know about patent rights, the relative size of the liver and mountain range geography. They had to be able to put together an argument for studying physiology. Though some of it is useful, much of the test amounts of little more than an assessment of random factoids.

So, if you’re anything like us, no, you’re probably not much smarter than an 1912 Bullitt County eighth grader. But that’s okay.

Tests like this are still done today, of course, often in the form of “scientific literacy” tests. The tests are meant to give an idea of how well people understand the world around them. But, in reality, what the these tests share in common with the Bullitt County test is that they quiz facts in place of knowledge or understanding. Designing a standardized test to quiz true understanding is of course very difficult, which is one of the reasons why these sorts of tests persist.

Writing for The Conversation, Will Grant and Merryn McKinnon argue that using these types of tests to say that “people are getting dumber” or “people are getting smarter” is kind of dumb itself. “Surveys of this type are, to put it bluntly, blatant concern trolling,” they say.

We pretend that factoids are a useful proxy for scientific literacy, and in turn that scientific literacy is a useful proxy for good citizenship. But there’s simply no evidence this is true.

Like asking a 12-year old Kentuckian about international shipping routes, “[t]he questions these [science literacy] tests ask have absolutely no bearing on the kinds of scientific literacy needed today. The kind of understanding needed about alternative energy sources, food security or water management; things that actually relate to global challenges.”

So, really, don’t feel too bad if you can’t finish your grandparent’s school exam—the fault lies more in outdated ideas of education than in your own knowledge base.

But, with all that aside, taking the Bullitt County quiz is still kind of fun:

Read more: http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/smartnews/2013/07/no-youre-probably-not-smarter-than-a-1912-era-8th-grader/#ixzz2aq1JWh7S
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

The argument about "modern education" being about knowledge and understanding can be debunked by a short conversation with any public school graduate (or just reading some of the posts here on Army.ca).

That's a cool test.  A fair bit of useless memorization, but a good test nonetheless.  Some answers may be debatable but that is probably a good thing.  Funny how things come full circle.  We should be asking those questions now, and at the least, be recording the differences.

The "international shipping question" is a basic geography question and requires only knowledge of the major bodies of water and land masses along with a few important minor ones. It is just a more engaging form of the standard "To get from location A to B what X do I need to cross?" which tests knowledge of the names of what is being crossed and their spatial relationship. With how global things are today such basic geography knowledge is probably more relevant than it was 100 years ago.

Another example of changes comng downrange. As always, this has implications for *us* in the CF, unless *we* start looking seriously at this the CF will begin seeing applicants with non traditional educations and credentials: how will the system work to evaluate these candidates? On the macro scale, how will Canadian industry and business deal with larger and larger numbers of non traditional graduates with non traditional credentials? (One of the "bargains" that business and industry made with the political establishment a long time ago was that education and training would be done by the State, freeing business and industry of the costs and responsibilities. The State has largely broken its end of the bargain, imposing huge costs via taxation for education without ensuring that the end product of this education is actually educated). It is easy to imagine the system being gamed by students and academia to disguise the fact the person in question actually has a "studies" degree rather than being educated in the Humanities or STEM disciplines, so some caution is advised:

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2013/08/09/northern-arizona-universitys-new-competency-based-degrees-and-transcripts

Competency-Based Transcripts

August 9, 2013
By
Paul Fain

Students who enroll in a new competency-based program at Northern Arizona University will earn a second transcript, which will describe their proficiency in the online bachelor degree’s required concepts. The university will also teach students how to share their “competency report” transcripts with potential employers.

The university shared a sample version of a competency report. The document looks nothing like its traditional counterpart, and lacks courses or grades.

Northern Arizona’s first crack at a transcript grounded in competencies gives an early glimpse of how credentialing in higher education might be shifting, experts said. And while the competency reports could be improved, some said, the university also deserves credit (no pun intended) for attempting to better-define what students do to earn their degrees.

“Our employer studies show that employers basically find the transcript useless in evaluating job candidates,” Carol Geary Schneider, president of the Association of American Colleges and Universities, said in an e-mail message. “Higher education definitely needs to start fresh with a redesign of its public descriptions of student accomplishment.”

Clifford Adelman agrees. Adelman is a senior associate at the Institute for Higher Education Policy and an expert on credentialing. He suggested several possible upgrades to a sample competency-based transcript from Northern Arizona, particularly the use of more specific language and fewer “generalized verbs.” But Adelman also said the university was headed in the right direction.

“God bless them for actually trying,” he said. “These are more effective statements than listing courses.”

Northern Arizona is one of three universities that have jumped headfirst into competency-based education by offering “direct assessment” academic programs, which are self-paced and completely untethered from the credit hour.
The other two are Southern New Hampshire University’s new College for America, an associate degree-granting institution, and Capella University, which recently launched a batch of experimental business degree courses.

These programs differ from a larger number of similar competency-based offerings, including those from Western Governors University and "flex" options from the University of Wisconsin System, which are still officially linked in some way to the credit hour standard.

The competency-based approach has critics, some of whom say its focus on industrial-style efficiencies will shortchange lower-income students.
Even so, more colleges will get into the direct-assessment game soon, experts predict.

Several institutions are mulling how to create competency-based transcripts, said Michael Offerman, a former Capella official who has consulted with the Lumina Foundation on the emerging approach. Some of those efforts will draw from Lumina's Degree Qualifications Profile, which attempts to describe what learning should go into a credential.

Offerman said the ultimate goal is a clickable, web-based transcript for competency-based programs.
Northern Arizona’s accreditor, the Higher Learning Comission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, in May gave a green light to the university’s initial batch of “Personalized Learning” bachelor’s degrees, which are in computer information technology, liberal arts and small business administration.

So far 100 students are in the process of registering for the fully online program, said Fred Hurst, senior vice president of Northern Arizona’s extended campuses. The university hopes to enroll 500 students in the competency-based tracks by the end of the year, and is looking to recruit nationally.

Competency of Mastery?

Northern Arizona is currently in discussions with the U.S. Department of Education about the program. The department could soon allow federal financial aid to flow to students enrolled in it. College for America received the feds’ endorsement earlier this year.
Hurst said the public university views its new competency-based project as an “innovation lab,” which it will continue to tweak and improve. But the program is up and running, and university officials said they want it to be as substantial as it is experimental.

“This is a different model altogether,” said Hurst.

Students work toward earning the Personalized Learning degrees by successfully completing assignments and assessments that are designed to measure their proficiency in cross-disciplinary concepts. The lessons are automated, but students can interact with university instructors or their peers in online “social spaces.”

Tuition for the competency-based option is $2,500 for a six-month subscription. Students can move as fast as they want through the course material and lessons, as long as they prove competency in each learning outcome.

Faculty members deem competency as being an 86-percent level of mastery. But students can go deeper, with the option of taking mastery assignments that show a higher level of comprehension.

“Mastery demands more complex application of the subject matter through an additional test, presentation, paper, case study or other form of assessment,” according to the university.

Students will be able to display their achievements, including areas where they went above and beyond with either partial or full mastery, in the university-issued competency reports. They will also receive conventional transcripts, however.
Faculty members designed the web-accessible reports, which describe the concepts and theories students have either mastered or demonstrated proficiency in.

The sample transcript linked above (a snippet of which is visible below) is for a graduate who majored in liberal arts and minored in small business administration. It includes checkmarks for each competency, bubbles with numbers that indicate each partial mastery and stars for full mastery.

For example, the hypothetical student earned full mastery status in each lesson under the heading “compose academic essays in various rhetorical styles.”  The student wrote a “summary of a major position in Weber, Veblen, Cooley and Mead,” according to the brief enclosed explanation, as well as a “research proposal and paper in a liberal arts discipline with an annotated bibliography.”

Schneider had two main critiques for an earlier draft of the sample transcript. First, she said the areas of study needed brief descriptions of the purpose of academic programs to “set a context for the specific competencies.”

More importantly, Schneider said she wanted to see descriptions of significant work the student accomplished in a program. Adelman echoed that view.
“Did she do projects? Research? A portfolio? Community service? Internships? One or more culminating or capstone assignments? What questions and problems did she pursue through her studies?” asked Schneider. “Detailing specific competencies is a good exercise for guiding curricular and pedagogical planning. But it doesn’t answer my questions about what kinds of sophisticated work the student has successfully learned to do.”

Two Transcripts, One Degree

A challenge for institutions with competency-based programs, particularly the direct assessment variety, is ensuring that students get credit for their work if they transfer out before earning a credential. Graduates could also face hurdles if they try to move on to graduate programs at other institutions.

Officials at Northern Arizona are confident that they have figured out how to avoid potential transfer problems.
“We spent a lot of time ensuring that our students would not be trapped in that situation,” Hurst said.
The solution, he said, hinged on work faculty members did to “deconstruct” traditional courses. They mapped the learning outcomes from those three-credit offerings to competencies in the new online programs.

When students complete those lessons they automatically earn credit equivalencies for the conventional courses. So when they master the various elements that make up, say, accounting 204, Hurst said that course automatically pops up as being completed on an online dashboard students can access.

That mapping process is similar to the credit-hour links that institutions with other, non-direct assessment programs make in competency-based education. But in Northern Arizona’s case the work is done for students’ traditional transcripts, rather than for earning approval from accreditors or the Education Department.

However, the university hopes both students and employers will use the competency reports. Alison Brown, associate vice president of Northern Arizona’s extended campuses, said the university would offer students training and tips about the documents.

“We think employers eventually will like that transcript better,” she said.

For now the university is covering its bases with both versions. One reason is that Northern Arizona wants to assure students that their competency-based credentials are just as real as those earned in the university’s brick-and-mortar degree tracks.

“While the experience of Personalized Learning is different, the degree you earn is not,” the university says on its website. “Your degree comes from a public, accredited university with more than 100 years of academic excellence.”

Read more: http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2013/08/09/northern-arizona-universitys-new-competency-based-degrees-and-transcripts#ixzz2bXCHA9yP
Inside Higher Ed

Our friend and colleague Thucydides offers us a tantalizing vision of readily accessible higher education for all. But not everyone is convinced. Zander Sherman, a Canadian writer and editor and the author of The Curiosity of School: Education and the Dark Side of Enlightenment presents an alternative in this opinion piece which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/parenting/back-to-school/of-course-the-value-of-a-degree-is-declining-everyones-got-one/article14032846/#dashboard/follows/
gam-masthead.png

No paper, no light, no money – but Dark Ages were best for students

ZANDER SHERMAN
Special to The Globe and Mail

Published Friday, Aug. 30 2013

The Dark Ages may have led to the Enlightenment, but now the most enlightened thing we can do is return to our gloomy past. As an entry point for the middle class, our institutions of luminous knowledge have lost their efficacy.

This is an economic consequence of oversupplying the market with similarly educated labour. Too many graduates have the same qualifications, resulting in a loss of competitive edge in the workplace.

To stay relevant, students are reaching ever higher in the pursuit of more specialized degrees. It used to be that a high school certificate was all you needed to get a decent job. Now even a bachelor’s degree is often insufficient. In this credit inflation spiral, we have devalued both our labour market and the institutions we’ve relied on to populate it.

The link between school and work was connected in the mid-20th century by the president of the University of California. Clark Kerr envisioned a large middle class, and saw the postsecondary certificate as a way of achieving it. By influencing the Basic Educational Opportunity Act, Kerr effectively commoditized social mobility. If you could afford to go to college – or fill out the paperwork required for a bursary – you could effectively buy your ticket to the middle class.

But Kerr didn’t predict the perverse ramifications of such a decision. By putting degrees in the hands of anyone who could pay for them, he made the work those graduates performed less valuable. A measure that was designed to mobilize society has ground it to a standstill.

The solution to our present predicament lies in the past. In medieval times, university attendance was extremely rare. This was at least partly because school environments were so hostile. Freshmen students spent every coin they had just to get in the door, at which point they endured a hazing ritual that included dagger attacks and assaults with buckets of scalding water.

Provided they reached their dormitories alive, students slept in dank quarters, awoke before sunrise, and attended lectures in the dark (where they memorized nearly everything they learned – paper was prohibitively expensive).

When it came time to demonstrate their knowledge, students were called upon to recite epic poems in both Latin and Greek, perform a variety of musical compositions on a variety of instruments, and then bow to the same panel of judges and examiners who had made their lives intolerable for the last several years.

It’s this model we should be adopting.

The Clark Kerr view of education is that it’s a basic human right, and should be available to all. But the medieval perception was just the opposite. Becoming knowledgeable was thought to be a strenuous – and exclusionary – activity. The pursuit was so difficult that few people tried, and even fewer succeeded. Yet those who did were rewarded for their efforts.

Whereas today the word “student” is used to designate one’s intention to become qualified for mass labour, the title was once respected for its inherent worth, signaling, as it did, the path to enlightenment-through-knowledge. Graduates of university didn’t blend into the crowd, they stood apart from it. Their knowledge was considered a treasure, not a commodity.

Today, the overabundance of qualified labour has led to a dangerous, expansionary spiral. We’re paying more for our degrees, and getting less in return. Our graduates are arriving to the world of work and finding that there are millions of people with exactly the same qualifications, competing for exactly the same jobs.

The industrialization of an education, and the commoditization of its end result, has disempowered the same social class it was meant to liberate. In this fundamental irony, a basic economic principle has been overlooked: The value of a commodity is determined by its scarcity.

The more available and abundant something is, the less it’s worth.

To turn this trend around, fewer people should be furthering their educations. With fewer people furthering their educations, value will be restored to the university degree. And with value restored to the degree, the workplace will function as it should: as a powerful, competitive meritocracy.

While a privileged few fret about the problems of philosophy, the rest of us will go happily unschooled, living student debt-free, making our own jobs, and being living exemplars of the age-old axiom that ignorance really is bliss. Rarefied in such a manner, we might then find that knowledge takes on a special luminosity.

Then, finally, we’ll have a truly enlightened society – just like in the Dark Ages.

Zander Sherman is the author of The Curiosity of School: Education and the Dark Side of Enlightenment.

I actually think that "fewer people are furthering their educations." They are, to be sure, spending longer and longer is school - adolescence has been prolonged from four to 15 years over the past two centuries. Boys used to leave school and enter the work world, as apprentices, at 12 or 13 and were grown men at 16 or 17. Now "adults" are expected to have 12 to 15 years of formal education, after pre-school, and they are 20 to 30 when they finally make a contribution of any sort to society. I look at my nephew's high school - 3,500 students - many, many of them will go on to graduate from colleges and universities, but few of them, those college and university graduates, will either aspire to or amount to as much as high school graduates did 50 years ago.

My nephew, and a very few of his classmates, spent their summers taking advanced courses - one must have them to take calculus in both the 11th and 12th grades and one must have that to be accepted into a first class university in a combined honours (double major) programme ~ he's thinking of doing double firsts in mathematics and economics. Thus he, and that "few," will be the really, properly educated minority, the remainder will attend second and third class schools - the system in North America is just as rigid but not as "honest" as the one in China when it comes to defining schools - and will still have long working lives (because their life expectancies will extend to 80+ rather than 50, as it was in the 19th century). They (and society) can afford the prolonged adolescence which is now a feature of our lives.

Thucydides said:
Another example of changes comng downrange. As always, this has implications for *us* in the CF, unless *we* start looking seriously at this the CF will begin seeing applicants with non traditional educations and credentials: how will the system work to evaluate these candidates? On the macro scale, how will Canadian industry and business deal with larger and larger numbers of non traditional graduates with non traditional credentials?
http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2013/08/09/northern-arizona-universitys-new-competency-based-degrees-and-transcripts

This seems like it should be a good thing for us.  This plays right along with the way we do business already.  We train for competency of operational tasks; education is a by-product, assuming instructors are given the leeway to go above and beyond.

I we trained all of our soldiers in strict accordance with operational tasks or competencies, no one, including officers would need a traditional education. 

;D

This in from the UK:

Reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act

http://www.theloop.ca/living/life/parenting/article/-/a/2690790/OpEd-Since-when-do-5-year-olds-need-cellphones-

OpEd: Since when do 5-year-olds need cellphones?

Gord Woodward, August 29, 2013 10:59:43 AM

News Item: Nearly one in 10 U.K. children gets a cell phone by age five, says survey.
Related News Item: Nearly one in 10 U.K. parents are idiots, says Common Sense.

Age 5? For a cell? It’s enough to make us reach for our iPhone to dash off a quick “OMG! AYKM? WTF?!” (Not to mention the old-school “What B.S.!”)

Now, we realize it’s easy to criticize other peoples’ parenting but in this case feel free to pile on. Any parent who gives a cell to someone who thinks chocolate milk comes from brown cows is asking for it.

There’s plenty of ammo. Not only do about 10 percent of five-year-olds pack phones in the U.K., but the average age at which kids get one over there is 11! (This continues a long tradition in the Queen’s country of doing stupid things when it comes to children. Like, for example, naming them George.) As the Brits would say, what rubbish.

Pre-teens don’t need phones any more than adults need pre-teens in their lives; in both instances, misery inevitably ensues. That famed stiff upper lip should form the shape that allows Brits to say “No” to their kids, as we here in The Colony do. According to a Loop survey, more than two-thirds of our readers with kids 15 or under have never given Junior a cell — proving Canadian parents have a stiff backbone.

So what, then, is the magic age at which kids should get their mitts on a cell?
Well, as is always said by the parenting experts (a term meaning “misguided souls who think children are manageable”), it depends. Maturity, circumstances (e.g. children of divorce who live in two homes), sense of responsibility — they all come into play.

We’d offer a simple guideline: Once your kid hits Grade 8, a basic pay-as-you-go phone, with no data plan, makes sense. It lets you stay in touch when they’re running everywhere for activities and social life. (Just don’t fool yourself into the false comfort of thinking that they’re only a text or phone call away; a parental call to them is the equivalent of a telemarketer’s — doomed to go to voicemail). And it ensures they can’t jump whole hog into the world of social media, sexting and texting. (The phone will run out, see. Unlike their hormones).

Think carefully before upgrading to a smartphone. Because poor impulse control by teens will quickly turn it into a dumb-ass phone. Radiation from the cell won’t cause them brain damage (how can you harm what isn’t there?) but their easy access to the Web will lead to brain-dead decisions, guaranteed.

If you’re going to allow one, here’s a final thought: Wait ’til they’re 16 and then make them pay for it — and only if they agree to a contract with you that governs its usage.

You won’t be popular. But you will be doing your job as a parent. And in this day and age, that would certainly make news headlines.

E.R. Campbell said:
Our friend and colleague Thucydides offers us a tantalizing vision of readily accessible higher education for all. But not everyone is convinced. Zander Sherman, a Canadian writer and editor and the author of The Curiosity of School: Education and the Dark Side of Enlightenment presents an alternative in this opinion piece which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/parenting/back-to-school/of-course-the-value-of-a-degree-is-declining-everyones-got-one/article14032846/#dashboard/follows/

I actually think that "fewer people are furthering their educations." They are, to be sure, spending longer and longer is school - adolescence has been prolonged from four to 15 years over the past two centuries. Boys used to leave school and enter the work world, as apprentices, at 12 or 13 and were grown men at 16 or 17. Now "adults" are expected to have 12 to 15 years of formal education, after pre-school, and they are 20 to 30 when they finally make a contribution of any sort to society. I look at my nephew's high school - 3,500 students - many, many of them will go on to graduate from colleges and universities, but few of them, those college and university graduates, will either aspire to or amount to as much as high school graduates did 50 years ago.

My nephew, and a very few of his classmates, spent their summers taking advanced courses - one must have them to take calculus in both the 11th and 12th grades and one must have that to be accepted into a first class university in a combined honours (double major) programme ~ he's thinking of doing double firsts in mathematics and economics. Thus he, and that "few," will be the really, properly educated minority, the remainder will attend second and third class schools - the system in North America is just as rigid but not as "honest" as the one in China when it comes to defining schools - and will still have long working lives (because their life expectancies will extend to 80+ rather than 50, as it was in the 19th century). They (and society) can afford the prolonged adolescence which is now a feature of our lives.

So, according to Mr Sherman we should leave higher education to an elite few and just go get jobs. What jobs would those be? We do not live in his hallowed dark ages. His point on scarcity and worth is only partly correct. Value come from the interaction of both supply and demand - he only focuses on the supply. There is still demand for an educated workforce. Sure, I might be happier if there were less university graduates around so that my degree would "be worth more" but that does not necessarily hold true for an employer or society at large.

Tango2Bravo said:
So, according to Mr Sherman we should leave higher education to an elite few and just go get jobs. What jobs would those be? We do not live in his hallowed dark ages. His point on scarcity and worth is only partly correct. Value come from the interaction of both supply and demand - he only focuses on the supply. There is still demand for an educated workforce. Sure, I might be happier if there were less university graduates around so that my degree would "be worth more" but that does not necessarily hold true for an employer or society at large.

I think that what we are seeing in a revaluation of credentials: a BA awarded in 2010 has about the same value as a high school diploma awarded in 1960. We, the CF, recognized that back around 1990 ~ there were other pressures, but a four year degree was considered to be the minimally acceptable standard for officers, whereas a high school diploma was still OK, not good, but OK, just a few years before. Today I think an MA or even a PhD has the value of a BA awarded in, say, 1960.

When I graduated from high school there were six classes in my school: four, with a total of nearly 100 students, were in the "General" or vocational programme and two, with about 30 students, were in the "Academic" or university bound stream. None of the "general" students could, then, go to university, although a handful did attend, later, as mature students. About 2/3 of the "Academic' students did go, directly, to university, I think almost all the rest of us followed along, eventually. Several went to grad school, albeit not a quickly as is common today.

Community colleges, which were rare 50 years ago, have muddied the waters. My understanding, now, is that many employers want a university degree PLUS a skill diploma awarded by a college.

But, I think the biggest change is in the implicit recognition and acceptance that only a very few hundred of the nearly 7,000 accredited colleges and universities in the USA and Canada are "real," first class schools that award degrees that actually mean something, and the implicit recognition and acceptance of the fact (and I think it is a fact) that some degrees, no matter which university grants them, are quite worthless ~ "victim studies" and so on.

Just looking at the all alleged university students and graduates who post on this site, would back up your theories of the dumbing down of the Higher levels of education offered at our institutions today.  When we see today's university students posting, on this site, of their desires to become officers, many of whom can not construct a proper sentence, or use correct spelling, let alone knowledgeable in the use of IT equipment and programs that could assist them, one can only wonder where we went wrong.......Not that we don't already know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back