• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The education bubble

Status
Not open for further replies.
More on the roots of our current university education system. Governor Scott Walker of WI is making an attempt to change this, if his program is successful, watch for the floodgates to open in other American States. The question is can this model be imported here, and (of course) the perennial issue of how other agencies recognize the academic achievments of people who choose to go outside the traditional University route:

http://blogs.the-american-interest.com/wrm/2012/07/07/scott-walker-prepares-to-reform-higher-education/

Scott Walker Prepares to Reform Higher Education

Bad Boy Governor Scott Walker of Wisconsin, fresh from taking on collective bargaining and triumphant after winning the recall election, is headed for more controversy, more upheaval and more angry squeals as he prepares to go after yet another sacred cow. His next mission is to take on Wisconsin’s higher education system. On June 19, Walker and officials from the University of Wisconsin announced a “revolutionary” flexible degree program. From the press release:

The unique self-paced, competency-based model will allow students to start classes anytime and earn credit for what they already know. Students will be able to demonstrate college-level competencies based on material they already learned in school, on the job, or on their own, as soon as they can prove that they know it. By taking advantage of this high quality, flexibility model, and by utilizing a variety of resources to help pay for their education, students will have new tools to accelerate their careers. Working together, the UW System, the State of Wisconsin, and other partners can make a high-quality UW college degree significantly more affordable and accessible to substantially more people.

It is one thing to proclaim an ideal, and something else to develop a system that actually works, but the language at least points toward exactly the kind of flexible programs Via Meadia and others have been advocating.

Change has to come. After World War Two the United States built its modern university system by extending a model that was originally intended to groom the sons of a social elite to succeed their fathers as government and business leaders to manage the preparation of tens of millions of people for the business of life.

The template doesn’t work in many cases, and the result increasingly is that training and job preparation takes too long and costs too much. The problem isn’t that America has “too much” education. The problem is that a 21st century society needs to be able to teach more skills to more people at a much lower cost and in much less time than our 20th century institutions can manage. It’s really that simple. The most urgent business of a state university system at this point must be to reform and improve the kind of education (in many cases, training) that can enable the state’s citizens of any and every age to acquire skills and prepare themselves to flourish in a rapidly changing economy.

Those who like myself are the products of the traditional elite educational system are naturally and properly concerned about the future of liberal as opposed to utilitarian education as this transformation takes place. But even we have to recognize that the first priority of state governments has to be to get the utilitarian stuff right.

Scott Walker will not be the last state governor to try his hand at education reform. It will be a bumpy road, and there will be failures and lessons learned. But through efforts like this one, through borrowing best practice from other states and countries and through trying new ideas in many states and many institutions, public and private, non-profit and for-profit, we will eventually develop an educational system that better serves the people than the one we have now.

Last month saw a crisis erupt at the University of Virginia. Now we have some radical proposals surfacing in Wisconsin. There will be more. The conflict between society’s need for more education and the high costs of the system we’ve built is intensifying. The fiscal squeeze at every level of government makes it impossible to manage the problem simply by shoveling more money into a dysfunctional system. Higher education in the United States is headed towards the biggest and most revolutionary upheaval since the birth of the mass modern university system at the end of World War Two.

Interesting article by the BBC. The raw numbers of university graduates may be one measure of academic prowess, but as we all know (and as is noted in the article) quantity is no measure of quality. Indeed, the numbers of "Studies" graduates could be counted as a negative, since they really don't bring anything to the table (lowering the results of US and Western university graduates by subtracting these people from the results).

OTOH, people who are "graduating" from non traditional on line learning are increasing at a rapid rate, and they do not show up in these sorts of figures. How they "count" isn't clear either, their "credentials" may or may not be recognized and this is probably beig done on an individual basis by employers right now. Displacing university graduates with on line students might be the real trend here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18646423

End of empire for Western universities?
By Sean Coughlan

BBC News education correspondent

Knowledge economyWhen schools are casualties of war
New York's tech-shaped future
MIT + Harvard = edX
Italian university switches to English
By the end of this decade, four out of every 10 of the world's young graduates are going to come from just two countries - China and India.

The projection from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) shows a far-reaching shift in the balance of graduate numbers, with the rising Asian economies accelerating ahead of the United States and western Europe.

The forecasts for the shape of the "global talent pool" in 2020 show China as rapidly expanding its graduate numbers - set to account for 29% of the world's graduates aged between 25 and 34.

The biggest faller is going to be the United States - down to 11% - and for the first time pushed into third place, behind India.

The US and the countries of the European Union combined are expected to account for little more than a quarter of young graduates.

Russia is also set to decline - its share of the world's graduates almost falling by half since the beginning of the century.

Indonesia, according to the OECD's projections, will rise into fifth place.

Degrees of change

Is this an end-of-empire moment?

Higher education has become the mirror and magnifier of economic performance - and in the post-World-War-II era, universities in the US, western Europe, Japan and Russia have dominated.

The US in particular has been the university superpower - in wealth, influence and until recently in raw numbers.

Chinese parents rent apartments near schools to cut travelling time during university entrance exams Up until 2000, the US still had a share of young graduates similar to China. And Japan had as big a proportion of young graduates as India.

Now China and India are the biggest players.

Their rise in graduate numbers reflects their changing ambitions - wanting to compete against advanced economies for high-skill, high-income employment.

Instead of offering low-cost manufacture, they are targeting the hi-tech professional jobs that have become the preserve of the Westernised middle classes.

Fivefold growth

As the OECD figures show, this is not simply a case of countries such as China expanding while others stand still.

Across the industrialised world, graduate numbers are increasing - just not as quickly as China, where they have risen fivefold in a decade.

The OECD notes that by 2020, China's young graduate population will be about the same as the total US population between the ages of 25 and 64.

India will have the second largest share of the world's graduates by 2020, says the OECD This changing world map will see Brazil having a bigger share of graduates than Germany, Turkey more than Spain, Indonesia three times more than France.

The UK is bucking the trend, projected to increase its share from 3% in 2010 to 4% in 2020.

This push for more graduates has a clear economic purpose, says the OECD's analysis.

Enough jobs?

Shifting from "mass production to knowledge economy occupations" means improved employment rates and earnings - so there are "strong incentives" for countries to expand higher education.

But will there be enough graduate jobs to go round?

Ballpark figures: The US has been the university superpower in the post-World-War-II era The OECD has tried to analyse this by looking at one aspect of the jobs market - science and technology-related occupations.

These jobs have grown rapidly - and the report suggests it is an example of how expanding higher education can generate new types of employment.

These science and technology jobs - for professionals and technicians - account for about four in every 10 jobs in some Scandinavian and northern European countries, the OECD suggests.

In contrast - and showing more of the old order - these technology jobs are only a small fraction of the workforce in China and India.

The OECD concludes that there are substantial economic benefits from investing in higher education - creating new jobs for the better-educated as unskilled manufacturing jobs disappear.

Quantity or quality?

The OECD forecast reveals the pace of growth in graduate numbers. But it does not show the quality or how this expansion will translate into economic impact.

There are other ways of mapping the changing distribution of knowledge.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote
Each era has its own distinct geography. In the information age, it's not dependent on roads or waterways, but on bases of knowledge”
End Quote
Prof Viktor Mayer-Schonberger

Oxford Internet Institute
A team at the University of Oxford's Internet Institute has produced a set of maps showing the "geography of the world's knowledge".

This measures how populations are consuming and producing information in the online world - mapping the level of internet use, the amount of user-generated material in Google, concentrations of academic activity and the geographical focus of Wikipedia articles.

And in contrast to the rise of the Asian economies, this tells a story of continuing Western cultural dominance.

"In raw numbers of undergraduates and PhDs, the Asian economies are racing ahead," says Prof Viktor Mayer-Schonberger, from the Oxford Internet Institute.

"But what's interesting is how the West persists in its positions of strength - because the West controls the institutions.

Mapping a new world

"There are more students in China than ever before - but they still use Western mechanisms to publish results, they accept the filters," says Prof Mayer-Schonberger.

In Oxford's world map of internet users, Europe is bigger than Africa "The big question will be whether the Chinese researchers can be as insightful as their Western counterparts - we don't know yet."

The maps also reveal how much Africa and South America are losing out in this new scramble for digital power.

Prof Mayer-Schonberger said he was "completely shocked" at the extent of the imbalance.

Another feature of the Oxford study is to show how research bases and their spin-out economic activity are clustered into relatively small areas.

In the US, says Prof Mayer-Schonberger, there is hugely disproportionate investment around Silicon Valley and the Boston area, with large tracts of "wasteland" between.

"Each era has its own distinct geography. In the information age, it's not dependent on roads or waterways, but on bases of knowledge.

"This is a new kind of industrial map. Instead of coal and steel it will be about universities and innovation."

The United States spends more than almost anyone else on the planet for "education", yet students going to school in Nigeria have much better outcomes. It isn't how much is being spent, it is how the money is spent:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/to-some-africans-in-us-childrens-education-is-best-left-to-the-homeland/2012/07/16/gJQAfSAfpW_print.html

To some Africans in U.S., children’s education is best left to the homeland
By Tomi Obaro, Published: July 16

Twelve-year-old Oladimeji Elujoba kept getting into fights at Roberto Clemente Middle School in Germantown. Every time the teacher took attendance in the morning, she would stumble over his polysyllabic name and inadvertently elicit jeers and giggles from his classmates.

“I’m not the kind of person to watch people laugh at me,” Elujoba, now 17, says matter-of-factly.

And so he fought. He fought so much he got in-school suspensions, out-of-school suspensions, after-school detentions. His parents, Ruth and Olalekan Elujoba, worried.

“One of the teachers in the middle school called me,” Olalekan Elujoba recalls. “They had suspended him and said that if I don’t take any action on this, I will spoil the boy’s future. I couldn’t sleep that night.”

Within a few weeks, Olalekan Elujoba had decided what to do. His two sons, Oladimeji and Kunle, later followed by his daughter, Comfort, would go to boarding school.

Doregos Private Academy, to be more specific.

In Lagos, Nigeria — 5,424 miles away.

Counterintuitive? Certainly. After all, for families such as the Elujobas, the whole point of coming to America is to stay here. Ask them why they came to the United States, and the Elujobas will simply stare at you, perplexed. The answer is self-evident: When you win the visa lottery as they did, you pack up your things and you go. So to book three tickets and send their children, ages 11, 12 and 13, back to the country they had not lived in since they were toddlers seems extraordinary.

But the decision made by the Elujobas and a small number of other families reflects a discomfort shared more broadly among immigrants from Africa. For all the material advantages this country offers — the jobs, the houses, the roads, the higher education — the Elujobas insist there are still pitfalls. They don’t like the expensive child care, the lax public school system, the sense of entitlement that comes with living in a country so privileged.

“Kids here, they do whatever they want,” Ruth Elujoba says. “There is no fear of parents in their minds.”

She tells an anecdote about the time she was washing her car and saw a group of 14- and 15-year-olds across the street smoking: “I called my husband and I said, ‘Look at these kids. What are they doing?’ All the information we kept hearing about kids carrying guns to school, joining gangs, we decided we will not wait until something like that happens to us.”

Praise for African schools

Sending children back to be educated in their parents’ country of origin “is not just happening among Nigerian immigrants in the United States,” John Arthur, the director of African and African American studies at the University of Minnesota at Duluth, says in an e-mail. “Despite the stereotypical media portrayal of Africa and anything associated with Africa as underdeveloped, the region has some of the best educational systems in the world. These prep and public schools emphasize STEM courses,” or classes focusing on science, technology, engineering and math.

Arthur says the quality of Africa’s education system is seen in the number of Africans who pursue postgraduate degrees at esteemed universities around the world.

It is hard to establish firm numbers, but many of the elite private schools in Abuja and Lagos boast at least a few American-born Nigerians in their ranks. Vivian Fowler Memorial College for Girls in Lagos has 21 U.S.-born Nigerians out of a total of 364 students. Ibadan International School, a smaller school in the southwestern part of the country, has had Ni­ger­ian Americans attend in the past.

What is easier to gauge, at least according to Edem Andy, a high school physics teacher in Prince George’s County who has taught in the United States and Nigeria, is the academic advantage that children who are sent back to Nigeria gain when they return to the United States.

During his 16-year stint as a teacher in the county, he has noticed that those children come back “better organized [and] basically more prepared. A child that has been to school in Nigeria knows how to study and take notes, which is lacking with American kids.”

He credits the Nigerian school system, which prizes mastery over self-esteem and ranks its students stringently. Nigerian students also attend school earlier, starting kindergarten as early as 3 or 4 years old. Because school is a luxury, Andy says, Nigerian students take their schoolwork more seriously.

That rigor is something Vicky Akinola, a 24-year-old business analyst from Upper Marlboro, struggled with when she was sent back to Nigeria at the age of 12.

“We had to write notes verbatim from our teachers’ lectures, and I wasn’t used to that,” she says.

Then, of course, there were all the other forms of culture shock — the suffocating humidity, the foreign accents, the frequent use of corporal punishment, the food, the uniforms, the tacitly accepted bullying of younger students by older students.

“I think I cried for the first year and a half,” Akinola says.

Lara Showunmi, a 25-year-old Silver Spring native who works at a rehabilitation clinic, was sent to Nigeria for school three separate times on account of her self-described insubordination.

“The second and third time it was really hard,” Showunmi says. “Like washing my clothes for myself, fetching water by myself — all of that was hard.”

Still both Showunmi and Akinola, who spent three years as a boarding student at Doregos Private Academy before returning to the United States to start college, say that, on the whole, it was a good experience.

“I would say it changed my whole perspective,” Akinola says. “You see people really struggle there because there’s no middle class — you’re either poor or rich. It really opened my eyes to what goes on outside of the U.S.”

Her father, Bode Akinola, a real estate broker, agrees. He had to refinance his home to afford to send three of his four children back to Nigeria, but the results were worth it, he says.

“My daughter, before she left to go to Nigeria, I couldn’t get her to do her homework,” he says. “She was getting failing grades. When she went there, believe me or not, it totally worked.”

Not according to plan

Not all Ni­ger­ian Americans who are “sent back” think it was worth the trouble. Rasheed Adeokun, 22, of Lanham spent three years in Lagos attending King’s College, one of Nigeria’s few prestigious government-run schools.

“I guess my parents’ grand master plan was to send each of us back when we were 10,” he says.

After he got into a series of fights with his brother while there, his mother decided to send them back to the United States. “Experiment over,” Adeokun says.

But the transition back was difficult. In Nigeria, Adeokun enjoyed his status as an American. Students assumed he had met Hollywood celebrities, and they got to sample the bags of Doritos he brought with him.

Returning to the United States, where Adeokun started ninth grade when he was 12, proved disorientating. Nigeria’s entrenched social conservatism made the comparatively liberal behavior at the American high school jarring.

“Seeing kids kiss openly in the hallways, not even boys and girls, but gay couples,” he says. “In Nigeria, you have teachers going nuts even if it was just boy and girl, so that I wasn’t used to.”

His newly acquired Nigerian accent and his youth didn’t help matters. The experience was so negative, Adeokun opted out of school altogether for a while, joining the Marines after his freshman year of college. He is now a marketing junior at Bowie State.

Though Arthur expects the trend of Africans sending their American-born children back to Africa to continue, Andy and Bode Akinola are not so sure. The recession has made it harder for parents to afford the hefty school fees, which can reach up to $6,000 a year per child, excluding travel and living expenses. Growing civil unrest in Nigeria hasn’t made parents in the United States any more comfortable about sending their children back to their ancestral homeland, either.

The Elujobas, however, are convinced that all the extra hours Ruth, a nursing assistant, and Olalekan, a security officer, put in to pay for boarding school were worth it.

“They know when to go to school, when to study, even when we are not home, they know how to call us. I think they acquired more knowledge at home and they’ve grown more mature,” Ruth says.

Their youngest son, Kunle, is finishing up his last year of secondary school in Nigeria, and their other two children are in college, Oladimeji at Montgomery College and daughter Comfort at Carleton.

Oladimeji has no regrets about the experience.

“Now I know how to work,” he says, the remnants of a Nigerian accent still clinging to his speech. “I know practice makes perfect.”

Building a University for YouTube with "5 minute lectures". Interesting idea to get a course precis or introduction:

http://www.prageruniversity.com/mission.html

Thucydides said:
Building a University for YouTube with "5 minute lectures". Interesting idea to get a course precis or introduction:

http://www.prageruniversity.com/mission.html

"Prager University seeks to create a better understanding and appreciation of our unique American Judeo-Christian value system by leveraging the viral power of the Internet with content-rich, visually compelling courses."

WTF?  That doesn't sound like education to me.  No wonder the the Nigerians are kicking our ass.

I am more interested in the idea of compressing content, but virtually every University or institution of higher learning has some set of founding principles, and at least this institution has it out in the open. You certainly don't have to subscribe if you don't believe in these principles.

A series of YouTube pieces on the founder of the Internet educational movement. Quite interesting and a useful primer for those wishing to explore the movement more deeply:

http://www.slate.com/articles/video/conversations_with_slate/2012/10/salman_khan_and_youtube_the_khan_academy_s_online_global_education_mission_video_.html

The Tech-Driven Teacher
Salman Khan’s audacious mission to offer online education to anyone, anywhere for free.

Posted Friday, Oct. 5, 2012, at 11:15 AM ET

When you hear Salman Khan’s story, it sounds like an Internet-age fairy tale, one that goes something like this. Once upon a time, a brainy MIT graduate working as a hedge-fund analyst started tutoring his cousin in math and science online. He decided to make YouTube videos of his tutorials. The videos racked up millions of views and reached audiences around the world, and appreciative students offered stirring testimonials. After three years, the hedge-fund analyst quit his day job to set up an educational nonprofit called The Khan Academy. The mission: provide a world-class education to anyone, anywhere for free.

Khan knows that his mission statement is a bit grandiose, but he believes the Khan Academy’s online teaching materials, including its archive of more than 3,000 videos, have the power to reach students in ways that classroom settings sometimes can’t. The Khan Academy combines video tutorials with exercises and problems tailored to an individual student’s performance level.

But does it work? Khan sat down recently with Slate’s Jacob Weisberg to talk about his new book and the results his nonprofit is producing.
Advertisement

In Part 1 of the interview, Khan explains how The Khan Academy flips the teaching model on its head. And in the third segment, he addresses how the education establishment has responded.

http://www.slatev.com/video/tech-driven-teacher/

This is a great thing that the Globe and Mail has, lots of interesting content on here including a "pay-off" function where you can input the degree program and compare it to others / high school diploma.

Michael Ignatieff is one of the people you can get a sound clip on, and he uses the term "degree factory" a few times. I like it.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/time-to-lead/transforming-the-ivory-tower-the-case-for-a-new-postsecondary-education-system/article4588986/

An unexpected bonus; unbundling course content also means breaking free of ideological indoctrination. The student gets more choices and is potentially exposed to many more viewpoints from the multitude of institutions and on line courses he can access. (Even if you believe that Marxists or Socialists will attempt to infiltrate the universe of online learning, you will still be exposed to multiple viewpoints and start to wonder why the various viewpoints don't coincide with each other or with reality. Once you start thinking along those lines, you have achieved the goal of a true Liberal education and are no longer indoctrinated):

http://www.popecenter.org/commentaries/article.html?id=2749

Education for Liberty

Advocates of limited government can turn pending changes in higher education to their advantage.

By George Leef

Comments
October 11, 2012

Last week, the Atlas Economic Research Foundation held its annual Liberty Forum in New York City. The foundation’s mission is to strengthen freedom around the globe by sponsoring institutes that promote limited government. Among the panel discussions at the two-day program was one entitled “Disruptions in Higher Education: An Opportunity for the Freedom Movement?”

I spoke on that panel, along with Professor Tyler Cowen of George Mason University and Ines Calzada Alvarez, Secretary General of Online de Madrid Manuel Ayau, an organization that provides online economics education in the free-market tradition of Manuel Ayau. (Ayau founded the University Francisco Marroquin in Guatemala.)

The consensus was that the impending disruption in higher education—the bursting of the bubble and subsequent changes in the way students learn—should indeed create opportunities for education to advance liberty.

My argument was that it will do so because the old model of higher education was (and is) heavily stacked in favor of the proponents of collectivism, but future education will not be. To a large extent, our higher education system has been colonized by faculty and administrators who are sympathetic to the expansion of government and unsympathetic to laissez-faire. College students were (and are) much more likely to hear from Marxists than from conservatives or libertarians.

In that old model, a student faced the “bundle” problem. Once the student chose a school, he or she had to choose from the courses and majors offered there. It was as if when you walked into a grocery store, you were allowed to buy either Bag A or Bag B, when both bags contained many items you’d never want to buy individually.

When I was an undergraduate, for example, the only macroeconomics course was taught by a dyed-in-the-wool Keynesian who was absolutely certain that federal authorities could manage the economy to give us high GDP and low unemployment. There was no alternative to that misinformation-laden course, except taking a different major.

Consumers don’t like having to buy bundles, whether it’s food, cable-TV, or education. They would much rather shop for the best and buy only what they want. New developments in education are making that increasingly possible.

Students will be drawn more toward schools that permit them to shop around for the best courses and transferring those credits from other schools rather than requiring them to take their entire bundles. Perhaps in time the very concept of a college degree will change, as students assemble online portfolios of their learning and accomplishments (certificates, badges, and other indicators of capability) to show the world.

In that new educational environment, the old constraints such as accreditation and transferability will matter less and less. None of the huge number of students who signed up for Sebastian Thrun’s initial Udacity course on artificial intelligence cared in the least that Udacity is not accredited. Thrun’s reputation was all that mattered.

With students shopping around for educational products that are high in quality as well as interesting, the market will be open. The old course offerings with their mild-to-severe leftist orientation will have to compete with courses that are balanced or take an intelligent pro-liberty view.

In my comments, I mentioned one such course—an introductory economics course taught at Wake Technical Community College and Florida State University that overturns the usual way of teaching economics. Eliminating much of the graphs and math, the course concentrates on economic concepts, such as the role of incentives and comparative advantage. Understanding those concepts is a big step toward understanding the value of liberty. The course designers intend to “scale up” its availability.

The other two panelists have both embarked on online education. Professor Cowen recently launched, with his faculty colleague Alexander Tabarrok, Marginal Revolution University. The first course available on MRU is on development economics. As Professor Cowen explained in his talk, the cost of producing the material for the site was almost zero (if you don’t count the time the creators put into learning all they know about their subject) and students can partake of their offering for free.

At present, there is no official credit for taking an MRU course, but Professor Cowen said that he would be happy to write a personal letter of recommendation for any student who demonstrates that he or she has mastered the material. That might be a better advertisement for the student than merely completing another official college course where professors are known to frequently dispense gift grades.

In her presentation, Ines Calzada Alvarez explained how her organization, OMMA, brings the great economic insights of Ludwig von Mises, F. A. Hayek, and other giants to students through online education. As is the case with Marginal Revolution University, her budget is very small, but that is not a barrier to education.

We are at the beginning of a discovery process in the new world of boundary-less education. Among the questions “edupreneurs” will seek to answer are:

How can we create educational products that will most appeal to students? For example, what maximizes the likelihood that a young person will want to spend time learning about development economics rather than playing Halo?

Is it better to work within the framework of existing higher education institutions, or to go around them?

How can we best certify that students have in fact learned course material?

And last but not least, can the business community be persuaded to break its bad habit of screening out individuals just because they don’t have the standard college credentials and evaluating them on the basis of other indicators of competence?

Change is undoubtedly coming to higher education. That’s good news for many reasons, but especially because it will mean that students won’t have to go through institutions that wrap them in socialistic thinking. They will be able to choose professors who understand the virtues of freedom. Seize the opportunity!

The mantra that we need to spend more money has always been suspect (who is getting all this money?) but now a new study in the United States demonstrates conclusively that it is not how much money you spend but how efficiently you spend it. If we could import some of these ideas to Canada then we could improve our students education and/or reduce the amount of money going to the public school system (education is usually the second largest item on the Provincial budget after health care), reducing pressure on Provincial budgets:

http://blogs.the-american-interest.com/wrm/2012/11/28/the-texas-education-miracle/

The Texas Education Miracle

The Department of Education has just released its first state-by-state comparison of education statistics, and the report has a few surprises. Texas performed extremely well, tying five other states for the third-best graduation rate in the country, at 86 percent.

And Texas isn’t the only high-performing red state: Indiana, Nebraska, North Dakota and Tennessee all place within the top ten as well. Meanwhile, New York, Rhode Island, and California, all of which take a traditional, high-spending, blue model approach to education, are closer to the middle of the pack , with graduation rates in the mid-70s.

This is convincing evidence against the popular notion that we can fix the public education system if only we are willing to spend more money. Not only does Texas do a better job of graduating its students than its blue state competition; it does so at a fraction of the cost per student.
Education reformers should pay close attention to how Texas achieved these results. Clearly, it’s doing something right.

I hardly see how this is conclusive of anything.  It is plainly obvious that anything that involves money needs to be optimized, and that it is how you spend it and not how much you spend.  Also, the ability to spend money wisely is going to vary from district to district and school to school, dependant on the persons in charge. 

This article is clearly written by a red writer, and I love the title "The Texas Education Miracle"; got to make sure you plug Jesus somehow.  To me the article leaves more questions than conclusive evidence, it is short and rhetorical.  He mentions the red states have 5 of 10 top spots, but doesn't mention that that makes it tie, clearly not a miracle.  He then goes on to mention some of the bigger profile blue states and how they performed average, but fails to mention the other 20 or so states below them.  Could the majority of those 20 states be red?

Further, the red approach to government allowing more power to the states it an excellent way to keep your state GPA up.  When there is no national standard for curriculum, it would be much easier to jack up your stats.  Heck, ensure that some bible memorization is in there and poof, there's an easy few marks.

Please don't get me wrong, I do think the red have some great ideas, but education ain't not one of them, and the politics have become so polarized and extreme that they have become absurd.  The last group I would be asking for education advice would be the hard right, the group that shapes the facts and evidence around what they believe rather than looking for more evidence.

If any credit is due, it should be for the teachers who are working the "miracles", and not the persons cutting their budgets, or the religious figure ever watching over their shoulder. 

I would suggest you read Walter Russel Mead on a more regular basis. He is hardly into caricatures, and is most definitely into writing on the basis of both evidence and a deep understanding of history and historical trends. On that basis I give what he has to say a great deal of weight and well worth considering.

From that small article, he seemed very red, but I'll take your word for it that he is unbiased.  From the size of the article people must trust his word, because he didn't elaborate or give reasons or detailed evidence for anything. Perhaps he is just attempting to dispel the myth that the blue are automatically better educators.

WRM and many others can be read on "The American Interest": http://www.the-american-interest.com/

and his blog: http://blogs.the-american-interest.com/wrm/

Enjoy!

>The last group I would be asking for education advice would be the hard right, the group that shapes the facts and evidence around what they believe rather than looking for more evidence.

It is ironic that what you believe about others is shaped to suit what you wish to believe.  I am "hard right" precisely because I am numerate, educated, intelligent, capable of reaching beyond the innumerate and egregiously misinformed opinion shapers in the media to assess the numbers for myself and motivated to do so, and have more compassion for the bottom quintile and would place them first in line ahead of the other special interests lined up at the orange and red tables.

Education in Texas has become something of a "touchstone" for both left and right.

Texas is amongst the minority of US states that actually believes in standardized testing - the TAKS (Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills) - with good and bad results.

The good results are that Texas youngsters "score" above, usually well above, the national average when it comes to enrollment in the top 100 universities. The not so good is that too many schools "teach the tests" which many people believe produces less that really "well educated" graduates. 

Texas has some interesting innovations for bright students, things like TAMS (Texas Academy of Maths and Sciences) and similar programmes for other interests.

As everywhere, but perhaps more pronounced, Texas school quality varies widely with income. It may be because a lot of school funding comes from local property taxes (there are no state income taxes in TX) so the general lack of "respect for learning" which is too often coincident with low incomes is exacerbated by a lack of resources. It's probably not surprising that the highest ranked schools in Texas are in the North Dallas suburbs where many, many very well educated and quite well paid Asian born Americans (employed in the technology sector) live. Higher than average incomes and an absolutely ferocious respect for education conspire to produce youngsters who excel at academics.

Many liberals hate Texas because it is seen to be rewarding already "privileged" middle class children at the expense of poor, underprivileged African-Americans and Hispanics. Conservatives love it because it stresses achievement over entitlement. There is some merit in both cases. Look at the faces of the students on the TAMS website; they are, as a Texas university professor told me, "Harvard's worst admissions nightmare" - disproportionately hard working, socially conservative, high achieving, Asian kids who just want to be rich. In fact, although TAMS graduates do get into America's best universities, those top universities have quotas, which infuriate conservative Texans, that ensure that a certain percentage of less than really well academically qualified African-America, Hispanic and White students get a "fair share" of places. Texas own top tier schools (Rice, Texas A&M and UT Austin) are defiantly "unfair" in that, despite having generous financial aid packages, all admit students based solely on academic performance, except for star athletes.

Brad Sallows said:
It is ironic that what you believe about others is shaped to suit what you wish to believe.  I am "hard right" precisely because I am numerate, educated, intelligent, capable of reaching beyond the innumerate and egregiously misinformed opinion shapers in the media to assess the numbers for myself and motivated to do so, and have more compassion for the bottom quintile and would place them first in line ahead of the other special interests lined up at the orange and red tables.

Perhaps I should have used the term "far right" instead of "hard right".  Although it seems your are hard right (unwilling to ever vote left), it doesn't seem your are far right at all, especially because of your comment about the compassion for the poor.  With that kind of attitude you would hardly have the far right in agreement with you. Besides, if you had captured my entire post it would showed that I am not on either extreme. 

This started by me picking apart the simple article above, because of what I thought was misleading, by stating how great the red were at educating.  Aside from calling bullshit on that, I went on to say that it was the teachers that made the difference, and not the politicians.

As far as unbiased media goes, please don't tell me you watch Fox, because Fox is why I believe the far right is so absurd.  The only media that could be called unbiased in the US is PBS, and that is the one that the Republicans want to cut.  Coincidence?

Even though Texas may have a good education standard, that is only one example.  The whole ideal that the conservatives wish to have in place, of putting more power into the states will ensure that there will never be a national standard.  In without that, you can crunch numbers "beyond the innumerate and egregiously misinformed opinion shapers in the media" all night long and never come to a conclusion. 

Lastly, I do regret bringing politics into this conversation, because if there is one thing both sides should be able move along with, it should be education.

The big problem with "National Standards" is you are now trying to inject a one size fits all philosophy on an inherently non linear and "chaotic" (in the mathematical sense) system. You correctly note that one of the key inputs is teachers, Edward also notes that "culture" has an huge influence (imagine putting the best teachers into a school full of unmotivated students who's parents don't care about education), and you can also add any number of other factors as well. Of course setting and enforcing standards on a national scale involves diverting large amounts of resources as well, yet will fail to deliver results that are "on time and on target". Another example to contemplate is the parental charter schools in Edmonton, which also deliver a much better "product" for less cost than the public school system.

In economics this is called "The Local Knowledge Problem", and explains why large bureaucracies and centralized systems tend to do poorly compared to flexible and open market based systems.

There is a constitutional problem in both Canada and the USA. In Canada non-native education is explicitly a provincial responsibility. In the US constitution education is not enumerated among the federal responsibilities so it is, implicitly, a state or local matter.

In fact that makes good public policy sense: both Canada and the USA are very diverse societies. What "works" in Nova Scotia would not be applicable in Arizona even if they were in the same country.

Dave Burge (Iowahawk) pulled the curtain away from a myth about education in Texas a while back.  Let it serve as an example of the danger of believing everything written, even if it is written by a Nobel prize winner.

There already are "national standards" for education: whatever is needed to get accepted into universities in Canada.  High school graduates seem to be able to get into universities irrespective of province of origin and whether they attend for 12 or 13 years.  Inviting another layer of bureaucracy without need is an invitation to screw things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back