• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"The Devil's Brigade" Reality Series on History Channel

Strike

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
That's right.  History Channel is reliving the training of the lives of the Americans and Canadians that were part of the Devil's Brigade.  From food to uniforms, everything is as authentic as possible.

I heard about this on CBC Radio this afternoon.  The show premiers Tuesday night  (7 Nov) and runs until Friday night.

The people who volunteered are all current or former serving members of the Canadian and U.S. Armed Forces.  Sounds like it will be very interesting.  I always like when History Channel puts out their version of reality TV.  It is actually educational.

The History Channel (US) or History Television?  I just checked Canada's HT, and there's nothing like that on at 7pm EST, but there is something called 'Devil's Brigade' (not the movie) on at 9 and 10pm.  Info doesn't say much.

Sorry, it's History Television.  It's on at 2100 (Eastern) or 0300 zulu to make it easier on everyone.  ;D

It starts tonight and ends tomorrow and and is composed of four, one hour segments. The premise is as such. Current soldiers attempt to recreate the training that the famous Devils Brigade was subject to and then do one of the missions. Supposedly, one of the lads nearly dies and two bail out due to fact they could take no more.

Hey, just out of curiosity, was anybody here on parade when they brought the unit back in the late seventies? I was a young private with 1RCR at the time and, like the rest of the battalion, was bussed up for the parade. Afterwards, I met several original members at the refreshment tents, very interesting.... as was the parade.

Ozons!

SSF.jpg

It runs for three nights: http://www.history.ca/microsites/devilsbrigade/

ProPatria Mike said:
Current soldiers attempt to recreate the training that the famous Devils Brigade was subject to and then do one of the missions. Supposedly, one of the lads nearly dies and two bail out due to fact they could take no more.

And your source for this is.....?

Haggis said:
It runs for three nights: http://www.history.ca/microsites/devilsbrigade/

And your source for this is.....?

My local papers television guide! Which, alas, is not on line.

I'll summarize.... Two days, not three. 15 current day soldiers ...same pace and training... same uniforms and equipment... says one soldier almost dies, four more hospitalized... archival footage and interviews with living veterans...

I think it will be a good watch.

A good buddy of mine from the R Wpg Rif is one of the guys involved with it. He said it was a great experience and he was glad he got to give it a try.

nope from a bunch of different units...well the Canadian troops anyways...no idea about the us troops

Bobbyoreo said:
nope from a bunch of different units...well the Canadian troops anyways...no idea about the us troops

The names and backgrounds of the participants are listed on the site I quoted above.  Click on the "Characters" tab.

Did anyone watch this program last night? Doing my duty as a history teacher, I made sure to check it out. I thought it was pretty good. The only thing I noticed (maybe someone else noticed as well) was the difference between the US and Cdn participants. Most of the US were reg force personnel, some even SF. I didn't see any Canadians who were reg force. All were reservists; QYR, RWR, N Sask R, etc. Kinda strange is all.

I thought it was pretty interesting, and good, as well. I noticed that about the units... no idea what the answer might be, however. Should be good tonight, eh? Same time, same channel.

ex-Sup said:
The only thing I noticed (maybe someone else noticed as well) was the difference between the US and Cdn participants. Most of the US were reg force personnel, some even SF. I didn't see any Canadians who were reg force. All were reservists; QYR, RWR, N Sask R, etc. Kinda strange is all.

That way all the participants start off on an equal footing.  ;D

Ok this is not to put the young guy down at all.He only has two years in.

makes him sound like a ninja though:

http://www.history.ca/microsites/devilsbrigade/characters4.aspx

scott young.

Everyone else has all these army qual yet he's a rappelling martial artist.

As I said it just struck me funny.

I watched it. I was a little bit disappointed. There were no regular force Canadians. In no way do I mean to infer that reserve soldiers are lesser in some way but it seems just a little odd to pit someone whose job as a soldier is part time with seasoned full time American SF soldiers. It also seemed that the training was not very intense. Certainly nothing that a regular Canadian infantry unit couldn't do easily, at least when I was in, and definitely no where near what the guys used to do,  according to "The Black Devil Brigade" (an excellent read by the way). Perhaps things will pick up.

http://www.amazon.ca/Black-Devil-Brigade-Joseph-Springer/dp/1596872187/sr=1-1/qid=1162998594/ref=sr_1_1/702-4216974-3780059?ie=UTF8&s=books

099* said:
Ok this is not to put the young guy down at all.He only has two years in.

makes him sound like a ninja though:

http://www.history.ca/microsites/devilsbrigade/characters4.aspx

scott young.

Everyone else has all these army qual yet he's a rappelling martial artist.

As I said it just struck me funny.

It's only funny because you mis-read it.  His skills are listed as "Rapelling, Martial Arts".  Note the cleverly placed comma separating the two "ninja skills".

Back