• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"The Devil's Brigade" Reality Series on History Channel

Starting watching it last night...........saw some of the intro's..............turned it off..........

Pipe, I'm not disputing that you may have some experience under that belt of yours.  But, as I said earlier, do it all in wool fatigues and old, heavy equipment, and then say that these guys on the show weren't working.

By the way, did anyone else get a little teary eyed?  What can I say.  I'm a sap. ;)

All in all.....VERY well done. I enjoyed it.

Yes, I know....I know....it's made for "entertainment value." Get over it, and get from it what you can.

(why were both LTs such absolute geeks?! ;)  )

Thank God someone else brought that up!!!

Have you ever seen such huge glasses on a guy?  Reminded me of Deidre's old glasses from "Corrie."

Thought it was a great program for all the reasons already mentioned.  Thanks for the heads up, Strike!

I thought it was a good show on both sides. As I've mentioned before, I've been out of the loop so long that I have no idea how realistic the actual training part was. However, I do agree with a prior comment regarding the use of period equipment and how difficult that might have been for individuals accustom to using the latest modern versions. As a historian, I found the best part was the information about the DB and the stories from the veterans themselves. I thought the ending was poignant with the visit to the cemetery at the base of Cassino.  :salute:

Strike said:
Have you ever seen such huge glasses on a guy?  Reminded me of Deidre's old glasses from "Corrie."

Or the character Bubbles from "Trailer Park Boys".

Haggis said:
Or the character Bubbles from "Trailer Park Boys".

Was it to look like he was in "period?" His specs looked like the pair one of the veterans they were interviewing was wearing.

My wife said those glasses looked like the specs I used to have in high school.  :'( (she likes to exaggerate!)

ex-Sup said:
Was it to look like he was in "period?" His specs looked like the pair one of the veterans they were interviewing was wearing.

I don't know about period because the two years I spent on a US Naval base I saw those glasses many times!

Glasses aside, it was a pleasure and a privilege to see and hear the old vets; as well there was obviously a great deal of respect given them and their fallen by the guys who were portraying them. Good stuff.

potato

spud said:
I don't know about period because the two years I spent on a US Naval base I saw those glasses many times!

US issue combat glasses???  ;D

I was glad to see he was wearing a geek strap though. I always wore mine when I was in the field. At Milcon '91 I had a buddy who fell following a night ambush ex and lost his. He couldn't see anything (I know I would be blind without mine) and had to spend the rest of the week peeling spuds, etc.  :-[

I thought it was a great mini series. The training was a little too Discovery Channel for me,  but the historical info and the interviews more than made up for any dramatic licence taken by the producers.

Back