• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Capital Punishment Debate

Should it be brought back?

• Total voters
This should be in army.ca's catologe of quotations.
"It's 120 degrees in Iraq and the soldiers are living in tents and they didn't commit any crimes, so shut your mouths." - to inmates complaining of the heat in 'tent city'
I liked the pink underware bit too.

Sorry bud, the only value I see Bernardo having is as a target puller in the buts on the 81mm Mortar range.

Pickton writing a book, well fortunately we now have law in place that state that any financial gain from such an enterprise must go to the families of the victims. Although one wonders if any cash would compensate them for their loss especially if the price was having to read in lurid details of their loved ones demise.

Sorry about that - I didn't think it through.

Ok - Maybe Pickton donates a kidney or participates in a pathology study.
Bernardo can entertain the other inmates.  >:D

Again - I agree with and understand everything else.

Sorry bud, the only value I see Bernardo having is as a target puller in the buts on the 81mm Mortar range.
This comment brings up a weird hypothetical question though..........
How long could he last in this new "employment"?

You know.....before getting fired..... ;D

BTW - I just heard Pickton's sentence.
No chance of parole for 25 is not enough.
I would get rid of that "faint hope" rule.

Bane said:
I happen to know a Doctor very well that counsils inmates in Kingston. She has quite a balanced and realistic opinion of the benifits and limits of rehab. So much for speaking for everyone in the system.  And we're not talking about rehab, we're talking about captial punishment. 

Well, of course she does, its called keeping your job.......................................think you will ever hear me say we should have Brinks security do prison guarding?

Bane said:
You don't think life is precious? Thats really sad.  I suspect you really do (solider and a cop) but are saying that to seem tougher. 

Life is extremly precious.................and thats why he thinks like that.[as do I}

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Well, of course she does, its called keeping your job.......................................think you will ever hear me say we should have Brinks security do prison guarding?
I'm not sure someone I’ve known for 25+ years is simply pimping job security to me.  You could say that kind of thing about anyone in any job.  Regardless, ZC stated that 'everyone' in the system knows that rehab doesn't work.  From my little experience that isn't true.  Despite the fact that I know very little about ZC, I know he has much much more experience than me in dealing with the criminal justice system than I do and he is probably very correct in some of the critiques that he has made.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Life is extremely precious.................and that’s why he thinks like that.[as do I}

This was stated and assumed to be some sort of 'hang up' of mine in a pejorative way with little quotes and all, that is why I commented on it.  You'll certainly get little argument from me on this point.

And now back to regularly scheduled programming....
In the course of reading, I came across this interesting page.

It is a "Pro Capital Punishment" http://www.wesleylowe.com/cp.html
There is some good stuff on it, haven't had a chance to get throught the whole thing yet.

Bane said:
I'm not sure someone I've known for 25+ years is simply pimping job security to me.  You could say that kind of thing about anyone in any job.  Regardless, ZC stated that 'everyone' in the system knows that rehab doesn't work.  From my little experience that isn't true.  Despite the fact that I know very little about ZC, I know he has much much more experience than me in dealing with the criminal justice system than I do and he is probably very correct in some of the critiques that he has made.

Here is the typical unfortunate sequence of events:

1.  Criminal commits crimes, gets little or no sentence because "it's the first time/first theft/first violent crime"

2.  Subsequent sentencing excuses can't really include "it was a one time thing/wrong place/time" so now it is time to play the "I grew up ghetto/my daddy didn't hug me/weird uncle Larry hugged me WAY too much" I-need-help card.  Said criminal has lots of interaction with his useless cohorts, and learns what he needs to say to get the proper sympathy from the counsellor.  Doubtless, they can draw from real life examples. 
Counsellor goes "awwww, you just need to process some grief.  I can help with that" and mandatory counselling is ordered.  Criminal goes through the motions.

3.  Having played the "I'm broken" card a bit too often, now said criminal is being looked at as being too screwed in the head to be allowed out of the penalty box.  Ooops.  Time to start talking to the Drug Unit guys and working on plea bargins.  Meanwhile, criminal doesn't go back to counselling, and counsellor is left with a feeling of accomplishment. 

Criminals are cunning.  They do whatever they can to weasel out of responsibility and accountability.  What they don't like is discomfort and discipline.  Bring those back to the penal system (along with the doubling of detention facilities for a start) and maybe we will see some progress.  Currently, all jail offers is boredom, inconvenience and more-expensive-than-normal drugs that smell like ass. 

Picton's defense even used "He's a first time offender" routine.....

zipperhead_cop said:
Here is the typical unfortunate sequence of events:

1.  Criminal commits crimes, gets little or no sentence because "it's the first time/first theft/first violent crime"

2.  Subsequent sentencing excuses can't really include "it was a one time thing/wrong place/time" so now it is time to play the "I grew up ghetto/my daddy didn't hug me/weird uncle Larry hugged me WAY too much" I-need-help card.  Said criminal has lots of interaction with his useless cohorts, and learns what he needs to say to get the proper sympathy from the counsellor.  Doubtless, they can draw from real life examples. 
Counsellor goes "awwww, you just need to process some grief.  I can help with that" and mandatory counselling is ordered.  Criminal goes through the motions.

3.  Having played the "I'm broken" card a bit too often, now said criminal is being looked at as being too screwed in the head to be allowed out of the penalty box.  Ooops.  Time to start talking to the Drug Unit guys and working on plea bargins.  Meanwhile, criminal doesn't go back to counselling, and counsellor is left with a feeling of accomplishment. 

Criminals are cunning.  They do whatever they can to weasel out of responsibility and accountability.  What they don't like is discomfort and discipline.  Bring those back to the penal system (along with the doubling of detention facilities for a start) and maybe we will see some progress.  Currently, all jail offers is boredom, inconvenience and more-expensive-than-normal drugs that smell like ***. 

I must sadly admit that my family has had contact, though not ruinous, with an individual who is now a 'serious offender'. I knew this individual well in my teenage years, they being a little older and while I never had particular dealings with them I was able to witness their progression through the system from a very close vantage.  This person in question is fully incompatible with civilized society and I had actually not thought of it for a long time, quite gladly, it until your last post.  It very much describes how this person slithered their way through the system with what I must admit was sheer amusement on their part at times.  One of my siblings aided the crown in their application for 'dangerous offender' status, but the lesser status was the result.  I won't describe their actions for obvious reasons but their actions, at the worst, amounted to deliberate and creativite violence.  Done by a person with a flare for the craft, if you will.
    I still don't think this person should be executed, though I think my thoughts on this may be a bit more serious now I admit.  Do I personally think that this person is reformable or redeemable nope(Thankfully, may mental health profesionals agree with me )  Do I think that this person should spend the rest of their days turning rocks into sand or perhaps, in a grand Soviet inspired scheme, help to build a tunnel under Canada from coast to coast to coast, right ******* on. 

Thanks for reminding me btw, good for perspective.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition.  2000.

epiphany

SYLLABICATION: e·piph·a·ny

PRONUNCIATION:   -pf-n

NOUN: Inflected forms: pl. e·piph·a·nies

1. Epiphany
a. A Christian feast celebrating the manifestation of the divine nature of Jesus to the Gentiles as represented by the Magi.
b. January 6, on which this feast is traditionally observed.

2. A revelatory manifestation of a divine being.

3a. A sudden manifestation of the essence or meaning of something.
b. A comprehension or perception of reality by means of a sudden intuitive realization
: “I experienced an epiphany, a spiritual flash that would change the way I viewed myself” (Frank Maier).

ETYMOLOGY: Middle English epiphanie, from Old French, from Late Latin epiphania, from Greek epiphaneia, manifestation, from epiphainesthai, to appear : epi-, forth; see epi– + phainein, phan-, to show; see bh-1 in Appendix I.

OTHER FORMS: epi·phanic (p-fnk) —ADJECTIVE

Bane:  Welcome to yours.

Why do people think that Lethal Injection is the preferred method?  Hanging is a tried, tested and true method.  It's also an art form to make the noose, no?

But if you want to cause excruciating pain and suffering, then crucify them: sometimes it took days for people to die of crucifixion.

My all time favorite punishment comes from England.  Warwick Castle actually, although it was likely found in other spots.  In the bottom of the dungeon there was a pit it which all the sewage flowed.  No direct light could shine in it. The design was such that the prisoner could not stretch out at all.  Sit or kneel.  There you stayed and festered.

Second favorite was the Iron Maiden.  If your crime was merely bad, you hung and rotted.  If you were really despised, they fed you and you lived while the iron cut into your body.

For some people, I have no problem with this.

I'm of the opinion of the crime that was committed is to be reciprocated onto the death sentence.  You cut a throat, get yours done.  Slowly torture someone, same same.....  Back to the basics, Do on to others etc...

just my 2 cents

AES Op - Jr said:
Back to the basics, Do on to others etc...

Umm, technically the phrase is "do unto others as you would have them do unto you".  Jesus wasn't renowned for his old school revenge ethic.  Probably not applicable here.  I think you were looking for "an eye for an eye" or something to that effect?  ^-^

Back