• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Subsidizing Education

>My whole point is that no fraction of the population is supposed to be favoured.

You're not grasping reality very well.  The fraction of the population subsidized to obtain a higher education is favoured over the (larger) fraction that doesn't have the intellectual horsepower.  This isn't bright rich kids versus bright poor kids.  This is bright kids versus average and dull kids.  The issue I keep pushing back to you subsidize-the-intellectual-elitists, and which you all uniformly fail to address, is the obvious unfairness that those with one highly significant natural advantage should have to receive additional advantages.

>If Canada is going to compete at all in the globalized market, we need an educated workforce.

Define "educated".  High school graduate?  College diploma?  University undergraduate degree?  I agree with columnist Paul Wells's ideas on post-secondary education (see his weblog or his columns in Macleans), but "educated" covers a large spectrum which means more than the 1-5 years some people spend exploring themselves and, sometimes by accident, acquiring another I-Love-Me paper from an accredited university.

Regarding hard-working: I believe few people born since 1960 know the meaning of hard work the way the preceding generations know it. There wouldn't be so much pressure for increasing amounts of government gimmes if people hadn't grown culturally accustomed to having everything come to them easily.  I suppose almost every young adult remembers home as it was when he left and that dictates his expectations - the possibility that he might have to start out adult life with an immediate setback of his living standard to something approaching what his newly married parents had never occurs, or if it does is dismissed as a social injustice nightmare to be immediately addressed by government intervention.

>I'm also not comfortable with the dichotomy you've created:  the 'university graduate' vs. 'workforce'.

Comfort be damned.  My point, and what I'm "not comfortable" with, is to highlight the accelerating groupthink among educated/educable elites in this country that not only should their ascension to the levers of control in this country be subsidized by everyone including the less gifted, but everyone should be grateful to receive benevolent rule.

Brad Sallows said:
Comfort be damned.   My point, and what I'm "not comfortable" with, is to highlight the accelerating groupthink among educated/educable elites in this country that not only should their ascension to the levers of control in this country be subsidized by everyone including the less gifted, but everyone should be grateful to receive benevolent rule.

Bingo - you're on a roll today Brad.  :salute:

Brad Sallows said:
>My whole point is that no fraction of the population is supposed to be favoured.

You're not grasping reality very well.   The fraction of the population subsidized to obtain a higher education is favoured over the (larger) fraction that doesn't have the intellectual horsepower.   This isn't bright rich kids versus bright poor kids.   This is bright kids versus average and dull kids.   The issue I keep pushing back to you subsidize-the-intellectual-elitists, and which you all uniformly fail to address, is the obvious unfairness that those with one highly significant natural advantage should have to receive additional advantages.

So by this standard, I guess you're against scholarships since it gives an advantage to those that are bright enough (and work hard enough) to qualify for them? Why wouldn't we want to facilitate the success of more people? That being said, university is hardly filled with above-average intelligence individuals - one doesn't have to be particularly bright to go to university or receive their degree. If the economy or government benefits from more people having university educations, even the dull kids are benefitting as a result. Should the government not give grants to artists because this is advantaging those with the natural advantage of being artistically inclined? What about Olympic athletes? Should our already meagre assistance to Olympic athletes be ceased because it's giving an advantage to the already physically advantaged?

>If Canada is going to compete at all in the globalized market, we need an educated workforce.

Define "educated".   High school graduate?   College diploma?   University undergraduate degree?   I agree with columnist Paul Wells's ideas on post-secondary education (see his weblog or his columns in Macleans), but "educated" covers a large spectrum which means more than the 1-5 years some people spend exploring themselves and, sometimes by accident, acquiring another I-Love-Me paper from an accredited university.

You seem to have some very deeply seated issues with university in general. Why do you dislike universities so much? As you pointed out earlier, the number of jobs which require university/college degrees is increasing as blue-collar jobs decrease. This is generally copasetic with the movement of our economy away from manufacturing, agriculture, and other such jobs towards service and knowledge-based industries. Thus the standard by which one can be deemed effectively educated (from an economic standpoint) is increasing. High school used to be enough, now it's becoming increasingly insufficient.

Regarding hard-working: I believe few people born since 1960 know the meaning of hard work the way the preceding generations know it. There wouldn't be so much pressure for increasing amounts of government gimmes if people hadn't grown culturally accustomed to having everything come to them easily.   I suppose almost every young adult remembers home as it was when he left and that dictates his expectations - the possibility that he might have to start out adult life with an immediate setback of his living standard to something approaching what his newly married parents had never occurs, or if it does is dismissed as a social injustice nightmare to be immediately addressed by government intervention.

I don't find this at all. Very very very few people retain the standard of living from home once they leave and I haven't found that anyone expects it either. There's a desire to regain that standard of living (and hopefully surpass it) but there's nothing wrong with that. I doubt any reasonable person expects to meet a high standard of living while depending on the government.

As for "hard working", I doubt very much that the baby-boomer generation understands what hard work is compared to the Great Depression generation, or that the Great Depression generation understands what "hard work" is compared to the Medieval generations, or the medieval generations understand what hard work is compared to those born before Christ. What's your point? That our standard of living increases? Conceded - I agree fully. Is this something we should be pointing out as a negative, trying to clobber those in the present-day by the standards of eras gone by?

>I'm also not comfortable with the dichotomy you've created:   the 'university graduate' vs. 'workforce'.

Comfort be damned.   My point, and what I'm "not comfortable" with, is to highlight the accelerating groupthink among educated/educable elites in this country that not only should their ascension to the levers of control in this country be subsidized by everyone including the less gifted, but everyone should be grateful to receive benevolent rule.

Rule? This isn't about rule, it's about the fact that the mean requisite for functioning well in society is increasing. Just as primary and secondary educations were the baseline requisite before, and thus were provided to all, post-secondary education is quickly becoming the baseline requisite so why shouldn't it be considered as primary/secondary were considered in the context of their time? I don't see the issue as "subsidized ascension to rule" but the provision of the means for improvement to a larger portion of society. Even so, if a wider span of society obtains the means to "rule" (amongst other things, like the means to obtaining gainful employment), isn't that a good thing as it would increase the representation of interests?

Glorified Ape said:
So by this standard, I guess you're against scholarships since it gives an advantage to those that are bright enough (and work hard enough) to qualify for them? Why wouldn't we want to facilitate the success of more people? That being said, university is hardly filled with above-average intelligence individuals - one doesn't have to be particularly bright to go to university or receive their degree.

If one does not have to be particularly bright to get a degree, then what is the value of the degree? You are not arguing for better education or a better educated person (in fact, as a training NCO, I have encountered more than my fair share of "idiots with degrees") but credentialism i.e. this person is valuable not because of any intrinsic worth or proven experience/competence, but because he/she/it has a piece of paper saying they are to be considered valuable. (One of the reasons university costs are increasing faster than inflation is credentialism, the "demand" for credentials is so much higher than the supply, bidding up the cost).

As well, the declining standards of education in both secondary and post secondary schools negate your arguments on a practical level. I have been around long enough to see candidates with post secondary education having a smaller and narrower baseline of knowledge than their high school counterparts from the decade before. Talk about your mal allocated resources! If this argument is to have any meaning, besides feeding the education system at the public trough, then we should not be talking about input (either money or students) but rather output. Are we REALLY getting educated people out of the university system, or are we just placeholding people before they fill positions in low end retail jobs?

We could strike up endless committees and do all kinds of studies and enact all kinds of regulations in an attempt to get the desired end results, or we can simply step out of the way and desubsidize higher education. Employers and potential employers will reward people who come out of the education system with certain skill sets (depending on the need of the particular employer), creating a demand, and some one will find a way to cater to those demands. If this means very small universities without "gender studies" and "fine arts" programs, well, so be it. The money which used to go to universities to fund those and other programs will be available to me should I decide to become a patron of the arts, or maybe I will invest it productively and create more wealth.

We should never desubsidize education.

Succeeding at university doesn't depend so much on how smart you are, it's about the amount of effort you put in. Anyone can succeed at almost any subject given proper motivation.

It's kinda like BMQ: everyone is at the same level when they get in (untrained), and if they want to pass then each one will have to meet a minimum standard. Sure, some are better prepaired than others, but the minimum standard is the same for all.

Furthermore, the CF subsidizes its students completely... should this practice be stopped as well?

Anyways, what the government should be doing is subsidizing more forms of education... college is too expensive as well.

Having the CF offer incentives for prospective officer's (Join us, stay in for five years and we will pay off your loans) isn't subsidization in the same sense pouring tax dollars into universities is. This is a bit tricky, since the CF is also funded by tax dollars, but if a private business offered a similar incentive plan (get your Engineering degree, sign this five year contract and we will pay off your loan) then I would have absolutely no problems with it.

Your BMQ example makes no sense, personal motivation is not subsidized. There are and should be minimum entry requirements for the CF which are enforced so unsuitable people are not wasting time and space in training. RMC is a military university, so those conditions really do apply, but a student going into, say Queens isn't subject to such a filtering process.

The damn horse WILL sing one of these days: SUBSIDIES ARE BAD

>So by this standard, I guess you're against scholarships

No. One of Paul Wells's points with which I agree is that tuitions should increase, along with financial aid for those who merit it.

The government should not give grants to artists and athletes.  People who like art and sports should privately give grants to artists and athletes.

I have nothing against universities.  I have a university undergraduate degree.  I attended at a time tuition fees were remarkably low and graduated debt free.  I worked summers and part-time while school was in session.  I had the additional advantage of living with my parents during summers.  I was acutely aware of people who needed money but couldn't get it because of arcane requirements related to their parents' incomes, but also of people who chose to accumulate debt in order to finance stereos and cars and a slightly less austere lifestyle and so forth.  My education was the path to an interesting and well-compensated career.  I have handily repaid my subsidized education, and more.  Notwithstanding my taxation levels, I enjoy a lifestyle not accessible to many of the people for whom university was not an option by virtue of academic (not financial) barriers.  I conclude that essentially every graduate should be able to pay his own freight, although not necessarily up front, and furthermore that it is morally right to do so.  Ultimately I don't see that it makes a difference to a graduate whether he repays an implied loan via taxes, or an explicit loan via payments.  The difference is that the indirection taxation method also drags in people who won't personally enjoy the income opportunities due to university education.  In response I hear and read the argument that the non-university educated enjoy the benefits of government funded by university graduates.  But what if they don't need or want those benefits?  Then we've harmed them.  When you take money from someone and give him in return something you think he needs, you aren't necessarily improving his situation.  You are deciding his life for him.  That is wrong.

Given the way some elements of society are beginning to believe they have a right to dictate how people live because society undertakes to bear the costs of health care, I should think most post-secondary students (and candidates) would want to move very quickly to sever any claim society has on university graduates by virtue of bearing part of the cost of education.  Surely you haven't missed the mutterings that university medical graduates should be conscripted into paying back their education?  That moral rot will spread quickly.

Not everyone who loses a job in agriculture or manufacturing has the aptitude for university education or the jobs which truly demand university education.  Are there still people who do not understand this or refuse to understand it?

>Rule? This isn't about rule, it's about the fact that the mean requisite for functioning well in society is increasing.

What on earth do you mean you elitist little sh*t?  What sort of socially fascist concept is a "mean requisite for functioning well in society"?  When did "functioning well in society" become harder to do now than it was 5000 years ago?  What do you propose to do with all the people that fall below your "mean requisite"?  If you assure me you don't intend to rule them - to dictate limitations on their lives for their own good - then perhaps I may believe "this isn't about rule".

>Succeeding at university doesn't depend so much on how smart you are

In some endeavours, perhaps.  A certain gate called "university math" closes a lot of doors very quickly for a lot of students.

I was wondering if this discussion could be cleaved off and made its own thread? It is a worthwile discussion, but not on topic (in my opinion).

whats actually kind of funny about the whole university thing is that people who go to to univ. spend all this money and all this time to get that degree when they graduate they are stuck how many thousands of dollars in debt and are likely not to get a job in the field they got the degree in anyway or even if they did get a job in that field it's erelevant because then the person who decided not to go to university and didnt go to college whent right out into the work force got an apprenticship for 2 years is now a fully licensed plumber, welder etc and makes more money then the people who whent to univ. and had no debts either. It is a common misconception in society today that you HAVE to go to Univ. or you HAVE to go to college or you will be working at McDonalds for the rest of your life. Well thats really not the case. When a welder or an electriction with a simple appretiship and a 1-2 semester course at a tech centre can make over $100 000/Yr I say thats evidence enough right there.

Why stop with an investment into post secondary education? We should just be educating people enough to use a shovel or make a burger. If anyone wants to do more with their lives MAKE THEM PAY... Education on makes the masses less satisfied with their lot in life.

Brad Sallows said:
>So by this standard, I guess you're against scholarships

No. One of Paul Wells's points with which I agree is that tuitions should increase, along with financial aid for those who merit it.

The government should not give grants to artists and athletes.   People who like art and sports should privately give grants to artists and athletes.

I have nothing against universities.   I have a university undergraduate degree.   I attended at a time tuition fees were remarkably low and graduated debt free.   I worked summers and part-time while school was in session.   I had the additional advantage of living with my parents during summers.   I was acutely aware of people who needed money but couldn't get it because of arcane requirements related to their parents' incomes, but also of people who chose to accumulate debt in order to finance stereos and cars and a slightly less austere lifestyle and so forth.   My education was the path to an interesting and well-compensated career.   I have handily repaid my subsidized education, and more.   Notwithstanding my taxation levels, I enjoy a lifestyle not accessible to many of the people for whom university was not an option by virtue of academic (not financial) barriers.   I conclude that essentially every graduate should be able to pay his own freight, although not necessarily up front, and furthermore that it is morally right to do so.   Ultimately I don't see that it makes a difference to a graduate whether he repays an implied loan via taxes, or an explicit loan via payments.   The difference is that the indirection taxation method also drags in people who won't personally enjoy the income opportunities due to university education.   In response I hear and read the argument that the non-university educated enjoy the benefits of government funded by university graduates.   But what if they don't need or want those benefits?   Then we've harmed them.   When you take money from someone and give him in return something you think he needs, you aren't necessarily improving his situation.   You are deciding his life for him.   That is wrong.

You could apply that ethic to a vast expanse of government services - including primary and secondary education, health care, roads, national defence, etc. Namely, the public goods which the government provides. Society is provided those things which the government deems necessary to the functioning thereof and we don't really get a choice in the matter, short of elections, but these things need provision. Could they be provided privately? With the exception of national defence, yes. The question is which method of provision you prefer. I guess it all comes back to your political leanings - left/right, liberal/conservative, collectivist/individualist, etc.

Given the way some elements of society are beginning to believe they have a right to dictate how people live because society undertakes to bear the costs of health care, I should think most post-secondary students (and candidates) would want to move very quickly to sever any claim society has on university graduates by virtue of bearing part of the cost of education.

I don't have any wish to sever such claims, personally, but that's me.

Surely you haven't missed the mutterings that university medical graduates should be conscripted into paying back their education?   That moral rot will spread quickly.

Yes, I've heard such mutterings and, on occasion, muttered them myself. I don't believe that requiring some period of service (medical) within Canada, paid of course, is necessarily a bad idea. Either that or if they really want to leave Canada, let them pay back the cost of their education. The military does it with officers who receive their education through the Forces. It's entirely voluntary - if you don't want to work as a doctor in Canada for a time after you graduate, don't go to medical school in Canada. Just as if I don't want to serve in the CF after I graduate, I shouldn't get my education on the CF's tab. If I do and then change my mind, I'm required to pay them back for the costs incurred.

Not everyone who loses a job in agriculture or manufacturing has the aptitude for university education or the jobs which truly demand university education.   Are there still people who do not understand this or refuse to understand it?

I recognize that. There are people who don't have the mental faculty for secondary school either, but they're still taxed and I doubt anyone's really suggesting that we abolish universal primary and secondary education because there may not be those capable of partaking in it or who want to partake in it. Again, I suppose it's a question of which you consider to be the more important consideration - the collective good or the individual good. I'm not saying I know what the collective good is - it's a matter of opinion.

>Rule? This isn't about rule, it's about the fact that the mean requisite for functioning well in society is increasing.

What on earth do you mean you elitist little ****?   What sort of socially fascist concept is a "mean requisite for functioning well in society"? When did "functioning well in society" become harder to do now than it was 5000 years ago?

Ah Brad, you were doing so well. I thought you were above making personal attacks in a political debate. I stand corrected. I am neither an elitist, nor do I believe myself to be a "little ****" though you may differ in opinion on the latter since it's entirely subjective. My interest in seeing more accessible post-secondary education (be it college or university) is because I interpret the movement of Canada's economy, and the associated increase in educational requirements for a growing amount of employment, to mean that a larger portion of society will be excluded from such employment unless equipped with the credentials employers require. The issue then becomes the means by which the provision of the "tools" is carried out. I don't view anyone as inferior or superior to anyone else, nor do I form beliefs of groups, classes, or individuals based on any vague concept of inferiority or superiority, especially based on their educational background. I have no illusions as to how little a university degree means when determining one's worth. This isn't about who's superior or inferior, it's about what employers are looking for.

As for the "socially fascist concept" - I believe we've already established (correct me if I'm wrong) that Canada is moving increasingly towards an economy characterized by jobs which require increasing levels of education. There was a time when all you needed was primary school. Then secondary education became more important and necessary for a larger and larger proportion of jobs. Now a high school diploma is considered essential. I believe that post-secondary education will eventually reach the point of secondary education in its importance. I don't like that and I think it's largely due to an obsession on the part of employers with paper credentials which, for many jobs, are completely irrelevant. The fact remains, though, that this is what they want and they can require what they want.

Functioning in society isn't harder now than it was 5000 years ago, physically. 5000 years ago (even 300 years ago) literacy really wasn't necessary, nor were math skills. Mentally, functioning in society (especially in the context of obtaining the qualifications deemed necessary by employers) is harder than it was 5000 years ago.

What do you propose to do with all the people that fall below your "mean requisite"?

If someone either doesn't want, or can't, attend post-secondary education then they'll likely be employed in jobs which don't require it. I recognize that not EVERYONE is capable of attaining post-secondary education. If they're mentally handicapped and unable to be employed anywhere, then the government should ensure their well-being through financial assitance and other means.

If you assure me you don't intend to rule them - to dictate limitations on their lives for their own good - then perhaps I may believe "this isn't about rule".

Why would I want to limit their lives? The whole point of accessible education is to expand the options of people. I don't think post-secondary education should be mandatory nor do I believe that it's anywhere near as important, useful, or necessary for many of the jobs it's required for as employers seem to. Unfortunately, they can ask for whatever requirements they want and what they're increasingly asking for is some type of post-secondary education. I don't see why business people need a degree - my dad dropped out of highschool and had quite a successful career in marketing and advertising at Global. He knows ten times what any fresh-faced graduate does and I believe the same is true of many other areas of employment. It doesn't really matter what the reality is, though, it matters what employers think because that translates into what they want.

I have no interest in "ruling" and I have no designs on any elected government service - my interests are primarily in the miltary, police, and intelligence services and parallel services in the private sector.

>Succeeding at university doesn't depend so much on how smart you are

In some endeavours, perhaps.   A certain gate called "university math" closes a lot of doors very quickly for a lot of students.

Yes, myself included. If you asked me to take a university level math course (aside from very basic introductory courses) I'd be up crap creek.

ChopperHead said:
whats actually kind of funny about the whole university thing is that people who go to to univ. spend all this money and all this time to get that degree when they graduate they are stuck how many thousands of dollars in debt and are likely not to get a job in the field they got the degree in anyway or even if they did get a job in that field it's erelevant because then the person who decided not to go to university and didnt go to college whent right out into the work force got an apprenticship for 2 years is now a fully licensed plumber, welder etc and makes more money then the people who whent to univ. and had no debts either. It is a common misconception in society today that you HAVE to go to Univ. or you HAVE to go to college or you will be working at McDonalds for the rest of your life. Well thats really not the case. When a welder or an electriction with a simple appretiship and a 1-2 semester course at a tech centre can make over $100 000/Yr I say thats evidence enough right there.

The plumber, electrician, etc. attends post-secondary education as well - through college and apprenticeship. You've only demonstrated that even the trades are requiring post-secondary education these days.

Glorified Ape said:
The plumber, electrician, etc. attends post-secondary education as well - through college and apprenticeship. You've only demonstrated that even the trades are requiring post-secondary education these days.

But YOU havn't demonstrated that we need to subsidize these people's education. (Still tuning up the horse)

>You could apply that ethic to a vast expanse of government services - including primary and secondary education, health care, roads, national defence, etc.

You could, but it would be inappropriate.  We are not discussing services universally accessible or services specifically for the disadvantaged.  We are discussing services for the significantly advantaged which will help them to become more significantly advantaged.

>I guess it all comes back to your political leanings - left/right, liberal/conservative, collectivist/individualist, etc.

Ultimately its a moral leaning.  How you view other human beings lies on a spectrum ranging from "clay in my hands" to "untouchably autonomous".  I tend to lie somewhere nearer to the latter than the former.

>I don't believe that requiring some period of service (medical) within Canada, paid of course, is necessarily a bad idea. Either that or if they really want to leave Canada, let them pay back the cost of their education.

What if you don't want to work as an engineer or a teacher of English in Canada, or for that matter work in whatever field in which you were educated?  Full fees payable on graduation?  Is it acceptable to ding the taxpayers for an Art History degree and then take up a living planting trees for the forestry companies?

>There are people who don't have the mental faculty for secondary school either, but they're still taxed

There's a strong distinction between our obligations to children and our obligations - or rather lack thereof - to other adults.  Besides that highly important fact, education for children is fully funded, not partially.

>I thought you were above making personal attacks in a political debate.

It's not an attack.  My perception of you as an elitist shat bears not at all on your argumentation.  It is simply an assessment of character based on the ideas you put down.  Perhaps if you explain what the "requisite for functioning well in society" is - what magic quality you believe a person requires to function well in society that separates some from the rest and can only be obtained by higher education - I will be able to re-evaluate with more data.  Perhaps you mean "to hold down a complex job" rather than "to function well in society"?

>I believe we've already established (correct me if I'm wrong) that Canada is moving increasingly towards an economy characterized by jobs which require increasing levels of education.

I don't believe that has been established at all.  That such a perception exists may be true.  That we know people are migrating from agriculture and manufacturing toward the university-educated office cubicle rather than toward, say, tourism and entertainment and home and garden services is not yet proven.

>Why would I want to limit their lives?

If you take money from someone to better your own prospects or those of someone else (to expand their options), you're limiting his life (reducing his options).  The social benefits you claim he will receive are not options to him; those are your choices for him whether he needs or wants them.

Okay, I did my best to siphon this off from the "How will you Vote" thread - now you statists should be able to continue your plan to put the fetters on all of us.

Cheers,
Infanteer

a_majoor said:
The damn horse WILL sing one of these days: SUBSIDIES ARE BAD

So would Canada be better off if our heavily subsidised primary and secondary eduction systems moved to a free market system?

clasper said:
So would Canada be better off if our heavily subsidised primary and secondary eduction systems moved to a free market system?

From both a philosophical and a practical point of view (my children are educated in a private school and are far ahead of their public school counterparts in reading, math and other areas), yes.

a_majoor said:
From both a philosophical and a practical point of view (my children are educated in a private school and are far ahead of their public school counterparts in reading, math and other areas), yes.

Did you get that straight from the public school's brochure? No private school in the world would advertise anything less.

Checksums:

1.    My nephew is in a public school and three grades ahead of my daughter. He hasn't even been exposed to some of the work she receives in school.

2.    We interact with lots of people in after school activities (matial arts, recreational dance, swimming etc.) and it is painfully apparent that any public school child is at a loss when talking to my children, they don't understand the references. My children are gravitating towards older children who do have the background (received many years later). Discussing education with parents is also illuminating, and even better is when the parent is a teacher in a public school (many are disheartened by the regulatory red tape which constrains any real innovation or introduction of higher standards).

3.    As a training NCO, it is completely disheartening to interact with recruits who have almost no understanding of Canadian history (much less regimental history), and are effectively illiterate and innumerate. It is even worse when interacting with these people as BOTC candidates, supposedlly the best and the brightest. The exceptions to these observations.....only one guess, please.

For another opinion:

http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/hickok_andres200512160815.asp

The Privatization Principal
Real education reform is upon us.

Eugene Hickok & Gary Andres

A meeting took place in Boston recently that screams volumes about the direction of American public education. It wasn't so much what was said, but who attended it, why they were there, and what they took home when the sessions adjourned.

It was hosted by an organization called Eduventures, which provides entrepreneurs and venture capitalists with valuable information on the "education industry." And it is very much an industry, by the way. Last year America's taxpayers poured over $500 billion into K-12 education and that amount increases every year. It is an industry of over 15,000 school districts, each with buildings and budgets and teachers and students â ” an industry that has underperformed for years. This nation's investment has not yielded what it should, leading to President Bush's landmark education initiative No Child Left Behind and its calls for more accountability. The meeting in Boston included discussion about that law, and the many new opportunities it presents to educators and entrepreneurs. But that wasn't what made the meeting interesting or important.

In previous meetings in previous years, the audience and participants have been almost exclusively from the private sector; owners and managers of firms, large and small, doing or seeking to do business with what is referred to as the "education space." This year, there were about as many from public education in attendance as there were from the private sector. And they were talking to each other, not talking at one another.

For years, the public-school establishment has rebelled against profit-making corporations engaged in educating America's children. It has drawn a line in the sand, saying it is unethical to make money off of kids and asserting that one can't be for public education and also support such nefarious ideas as vouchers or for-profit or non-profit alternatives. The public, according to polls, generally accepts the establishment's argument. Americans who care a great deal about their schools and support public education are still leery of private school choice, and seem nervous about private-sector solutions for ailing public schools. But times are changing.

The No Child Left Behind Act, for all of its flaws, has added a measure of accountability and transparency to education, highlighting problems in our nation's schools, such as the achievement gap between low-income and minority students and their more affluent white peers. It illuminates those schools and districts and states where educational decision-making is based on solid data and evidence, and those where it remains primarily art rather than science â ” decision-making by intuition and instinct. And it is testing the capacity of schools, school districts, and education's leadership response to what the evidence is telling their clients â ” the job is not getting done. The heat is on more than ever, and so traditional leaders in America's public schools are beginning to look for help, even from some nontraditional sources.

It's about time. It is ironic that a country built upon the notion of free enterprise, capitalism, entrepreneurship, and the power of ideas has for years embraced the idea that none of this pertains to how we educate our children. We have instead bought into the idea that there is only one way to provide public education: through a system that looks the same everywhere, funded by taxpayers and responsible to them through school boards. It is an idea of public education that has eschewed any potential benefit that might be derived from private-sector initiatives and ideas. But a new dialogue has begun.

Increasingly thoughtful and somewhat desperate school leaders look to the private sector for help in public education. The complex management of schools, from employing data to drive decision-making to managing revenues and expenditures, has caused some in public education to consider turning to organizations and firms that have a track record and whose experience and skills can be readily applied in the public-school setting. For example, private-sector firms have the ability to help schools budget better, monitor student and teacher accountability, provide supplementary services like after-school tutoring, and develop testing protocols to measure achievement. These opportunities have piqued the curiosity of enlightened school leaders, who look to the best and brightest in the private sector to fashion what the next generation of teaching and learning might look like. This is happening because it is in everyone's best interest. The private sector has ideas, skills, tools, and experience that it wants to "sell" to the education market.

The conversation is really just beginning. But the fact that it is taking place holds great promise. Those most familiar with public education today know that it will take dramatic and fundamental change in order to do what needs to be done; public education, as a system, has not really changed very much since its creation, while virtually every other social and governmental institution has undergone profound change in the last decade or so. There is a tremendous need for new thinking, and it is unrealistic and unfair to expect it to come from those who are already overwhelmed by their day-to-day responsibilities.

Other policymakers need to join in this dialogue. For example, the role of private sector in public education represents a promising topic for congressional hearings. Education reformers in Congress like Chairman John Boehner should highlight the benefits and opportunities of this new partnership in a series of hearings before his panel next year. It's also an opportunity for President Bush and his administration to underscore how the No Child Left Behind Act demonstrated the need and provided the incentives for a greater role for the private sector in educating America's kids.

It will take a long time to enact the sort of fundamental change that is needed in order to reestablish this nation's leadership in elementary and secondary education. And surely there will remain those who resist any invitation to even think that someone "out to make money off of kids" might offer an idea that might actually ensure those children get the sort of education they deserve. But at least the conversation is taking place, and both sides are listening and learning and seeking opportunities. The marriage of the public and private sectors in education holds the promise of a new American education revolution. What a symbolic coincidence it began to take shape in Boston.

â ” Eugene Hickok and Gary Andres are both principals with Dutko Worldwide. Hickok is the former deputy secretary of Education. Andres is writes a weekly column on politics in the Washington Times and is a frequent NRO contributor.

http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/hickok_andres200512160815.asp

Is the K-12 problem a private/public matter or a cultural one?  I understand that countries like Japan are getting good performance from their K-12 system.  Maybe our failure is just a matter of laziness?

Back