• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldiers raise money for good cause

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Close shave: Soldiers raise money for good cause
Updated Tue. Mar. 20 2007 5:03 PM ET Paul Workman, CTV News
Article Link

KANDAHAR -- Sergeant Dave Robinson has been sporting a mustache for 22 years. Not anymore.

And Warrant Officer Al Organ hasn't had a brush cut since he was in army cadets. Take a look at him now.

As for young Lieutenant Craig Scott, platoon commander. It's all gone.

Two shaved heads, and a clean upper lip.

And would you believe it, a bunch of Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan paid a grand sum of US$699 for the privilege of wielding the shaver.

That's not all. The boys from the motor pool actually raised more than US$2,000 that will now be sent to a place called Fisher House in Landstuhl, Germany. It's a cause that's very close to their hearts.

Every one of them knows that someday, they might end up on a stretcher being flown to Landstuhl, where the Americans run a huge medical facility.

All of the seriously wounded from Iraq and Afghanistan are taken there, including Canadians, and Fisher House is a residence where visiting families can stay at very low cost. Donations keep the cost down, and they will soon get another 2,000 bucks.

The Canadian contribution all started with members of the Combat Service Support section, and they do a lot more here than just fix motors and change the oil on armored vehicles. Some of them drive big tankers and ammunition trucks out to the operating bases, and a few have been to Afghanistan more than once. Essentially they keep the supply lines open, and they're a close and generous bunch.
More on link

Soldiers helping soldiers. A great thing in my book.

A great thing, but pretty typical-helping one another. That's what its all about, isn't it? Good for them.

Its only hair, guys - it'll grow back.

:cdn:
Hawk

I love it when stories like this make the News. God Bless them for their efforts!  :salute:

~Rebecca

Good to see some Good in the media about our soldiers.
Looks good on 'em, or should I say, doesn't look good on 'em {the hair}  :D
:army:

proudnurse said:
I love it when stories like this make the News. God Bless them for their efforts!  :salute:

~Rebecca

I'll second that one.  I wish moer of these types of stories made it onto the news.  A person I live with in residence stated that military folks are automatons but as this shows, we're people just like everyone else. Military folks have feelings too and care about others.

While I absolutely support Fisher House, it seems that, perhaps, it's garnering a disproportionate amount of charitable dollars which could go to support other Canadian institutions looking after our troops.

I've said before that perhaps we're duplicating effort in some of these charitable organizations (such as the various Regimental support programs and other charities dedicated to the same cause; how many DVD players does a hurt soldier need?).  While Fisher House provides a great service to the families of the wounded, it's during a fairly narrow time window (for the most part).

Virtually every Canadian hospital has a charitable fundraising plan in place, and the funds raised don't go to things like coffee for the staff rooms, they go to things like ventilators, MRI, CT Scanners, etc.  Stuff that's used on a daily basis to look after sick and injured Canadians.  More and more Canadian hospitals are treating our returned wounded, perhaps some of our efforts should go to supporting them, along with Fisher House.

DF

465_afghan_070320.jpg

KANDAHAR -- Sergeant Dave Robinson has been sporting a mustache for 22 years. Not anymore.

And Warrant Officer Al Organ hasn't had a brush cut since he was in army cadets. Take a look at him now.

As for young Lieutenant Craig Scott, platoon commander. It's all gone.

Two shaved heads, and a clean upper lip.

And would you believe it, a bunch of Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan paid a grand sum of US$699 for the privilege of wielding the shaver.

That's not all. The boys from the motor pool actually raised more than US$2,000 that will now be sent to a place called Fisher House in Landstuhl, Germany. It's a cause that's very close to their hearts.

Every one of them knows that someday, they might end up on a stretcher being flown to Landstuhl, where the Americans run a huge medical facility.

All of the seriously wounded from Iraq and Afghanistan are taken there, including Canadians, and Fisher House is a residence where visiting families can stay at very low cost. Donations keep the cost down, and they will soon get another 2,000 bucks.

The Canadian contribution all started with members of the Combat Service Support section, and they do a lot more here than just fix motors and change the oil on armored vehicles. Some of them drive big tankers and ammunition trucks out to the operating bases, and a few have been to Afghanistan more than once. Essentially they keep the supply lines open, and they're a close and generous bunch.

Anyway, in their desire to help a good cause, somebody came up with the idea of auctioning off the lieutenant's hair ($134) and the sergeant's mustache ($65.) But the highest bid of all was saved for the thick, brown locks of Warrant Officer Al Organ, who either has a lot of friends or a lot of enemies.

Going once, going twice, going three times ... at $500.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Canadian Forces:
Hospital Comforts Program

Landstuhl Fisher House
CMR 402 Box 669
APO AE 09180
Landstuhl, Germany

info@fisherhouse.org

hahhaha.,  there is a few old sgtmagors i would pay a months paycheck tos ee that happen!

shlomo

It was a fun event.

In the Time after Sgt Robinson Lost his Stache, and before the WO lost his hair, there was a distict resemblance to Jim Lahey and Randy from The Trailer Park Boys.

We were just glad to raise some money for a good cause out here, and have a little fun doing it.

Cheers
-Tommy

Back