• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Running: Training, Problems, Techniques, Questions, etc

Totally different topic, but does anyone know the return policy of The Running Room? I bought a new pair of running shoes there a week ago and taken them out for a few runs, and they've been giving me the nastiest blisters.

Anyone know if I can still return/exchange them even though they've been worn?

Nowhere is going to take back shoes that have been worn outside, how are they going to resell them?! 

That said, go back and see them, they may be able to offer advice as to what's causing the problem.

I'm having a problem with shin splints and pain in the left upper part of my chest?  What is up with that? :-[

Shin splints are from over training, poorly developed leg muscles, gait, stride, impact and on and on, I don't think anyone really knows. However, try running on a treadmill with no incline for awhile to get your muscles  used to impact. Do a lot of stretching and maybe go get your stride/gait analyzed at the running room, you may have foot problems, who knows. Some good exercises for shin splints, that you can do at home are "bucket lifts" and "towel scrunchies." Bucket Lifts - Put some water in a small bucket (just heavy enough for you, trial and error to find the weight) now cross you legs and with the top leg pick up the bucket handle with your toes and and bring your toes back toward your leg. (make sure there is a lid on the bucket  :D) do a couple of sets of 10 of these per leg, should help. Towel Scrunchies - Lay a towel flat on the floor, with your bare foot, using only your toes (like a bird claw) pull the towel towards you so that it scrunches up, do with one foot at a time, do 2 sets of 10 per foot. As for the pain in your chest, um it's probably just a stitch but you should go see a doctor, it may be something much more serious, and hey, better safe than sorry, right!

Hey Guys,
I have a question about running... usually I try to run atleast 2.5km a day in about 11 minutes or less which isn't a lot but even though I do a lot of stretching before I go running, I always get "shin splints," which i`m sure many of you know can be very painful. I drink a lot of water and eat banana's often but I can't seem to do a full run without having to stop because it hurts so bad. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  :-*

Do what Rhyno recommends in his post right before yours

Island Ryhno said:
Shin splints are from over training, poorly developed leg muscles, gait, stride, impact and on and on, I don't think anyone really knows.

Shin splints (the real ones) are hairline fractures of the lower leg bones. The easiest way to see if you have them is to use the tuning fork test on the affected bone.

The vast majority of shin splint "sufferers" have, just as Rhyno says, poorly developed leg muscles and improper gait. See the PERI staff to fix that.

Another question I had was about how much I should be able to run. My BMQ course is next month and some have told me I should be able to run 5k (without stopping) before I leave. I have been having trouble trying to run 2km straight without stopping !?!  :-\

Angel_Army_Chick said:
Another question I had was about how much I should be able to run. My BMQ course is next month and some have told me I should be able to run 5k (without stopping) before I leave. I have been having trouble trying to run 2km straight without stopping !?!   :-\

Use what time you have before BMQ to run. Just keep running and give yourself a day off once in a while, maybe once a week or every 5th day or so. I haven't done BMQ yet but I would imagine that you won't have a very good experience if you can't even run 2 km's.

I would suggest timing yourself on the 2.4 km run and running that distance until you can do it in around 12 minutes. Once you can do it in 12 minutes, begin increasing your duration at the same pace. This is what I've been doing and it works great. I increase the length of my run by 30 seconds every time I do it. Once I hit 30 min running at a pace of 2.4km in 12 mins (which is 7.5 on a treadmill), I will be running 6 km in 30 min, and I will try increasing my speed again. Record your results, it's a good form of motivation.

BeadWindow said:
Keep working at it. 5KM would be in your best interest. Why are you going if you cant meet the minimums of 2.4km? Its foolish to think just because you passed the step test you are good to go. I had a couple of those on my BMQ and they had a terrible experience. Keep plugging away- the longer you can run the better! ;D

Actually thats not what I was saying. I`m not going into my BMQ course thinking that because I passed the step test I`m good to go. Everyday when I go out running I time myself how long it takes to do the course I run which is 2.5km's and so far my longest time 12:33. My point is that I keep stopping to walk a lot but I push myself to run under a certain time limit.  :mad:

The general concensus here seems to be that your level of running is not good enough. You will not be permitted to just stop and walk on army PT. You are partaking upon a career that is very physical. If you can barely meet the entrance minimums, keeping in mind that basic training will be physically easy, you will be in for a rough ride with the instructors and your peers, who will resent you for getting them punished because you cant keep up. Sink or swim as a team, right! (usually, they have to do pushups while they wait for you) Perhaps you should hold off enrolment until you are fit enough.

I say this because there were a number of out of shape females on my basic, and they went to bed crying every night - not a great start to anyone's career.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but it is the truth.

Cpl Bloggins

With respect to blister problems - not knowing if you have recently increased your distance or some other unknown variable, sometimes just changing the types of sock you wear can help the problem.  I find that spending a little extra on athletic socks not made of cotton helps.
The other indicator may be where the blisters are occuring on your feet - top of the toes, inside the arch of your foot etc.  If they are occuring in the arch of your foot you have probably purchased the wrong sort of shoe for your running style or foot (ie you require more arch support).  I believe runningworld.com has a question and answer type site to determine what shoe is best for you.

Good luck. 

GO!!! said:
The general concensus here seems to be that your level of running is not good enough. You will not be permitted to just stop and walk on army PT. You are partaking upon a career that is very physical. If you can barely meet the entrance minimums, keeping in mind that basic training will be physically easy, you will be in for a rough ride with the instructors and your peers, who will resent you for getting them punished because you cant keep up. Sink or swim as a team, right! (usually, they have to do pushups while they wait for you) Perhaps you should hold off enrolment until you are fit enough.

I say this because there were a number of out of shape females on my basic, and they went to bed crying every night - not a great start to anyone's career.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but it is the truth.

Thanks for the advice but all week I have been running and pushing myself to do more and more. I am now able to run a full 2.5KM in under 12min. without stopping!  :D However. I am starting to move myself up to a longer distance. I find my biggest problem isn't that I can't breathe, It's that My legs hurt so bad sometimes i want to stop and that's where I was giving in. I am confident enough that I will be able to run 5km before I go for basic, Should I start running twice a day? say once in the morning once at night?   

No don't run twice a day, just keep plugging at it and you'll get there. Also try doing some leg streghtening exercises at the gym, it should help with the muscle fatigue.

The best training regime is to do, on alternating days, with occasional days off, is circuit/interval training and long, slow runs to increase endurance and body control.

An example of interval training would be to sprint for 100m, then jog for 150m, for 30 minutes or more, then repeat... circuit training is the best form of training, where you would do say, 25 pushups, sprint 100m, 50 situps, sprint 100m, 25 jumping jacks, sprint 100m...

This type of training builds endurance (as long as you do it for 30 mins plus) strength (of the body parts you exercise between sprints) and cardiovascular strength, by forcing you to raise your heart rate for a length of time.

Your local YMCA or good health club can fix you up with a good trg regime more individually suited to you.

I would suggest doing some squats, and going from there. If you want to add more leg exercises later, that's fine, but at least do squats.

i was wondering if running on a treadmill is remotely the same workout as running on road.?
thanks you

Not even close, the machine is doing half the work for you however its still better than doing nothing,

Treadmill running isn't bad at all.
Put the treadmill on at least an incline of 1 if you want to have something similar to a road run keeping in mind that perfectly flat roads are an exception not a rule.  Treadmills are a bit better on your knees, depending on the quality of the treadmill, then running on pavement.  If you really like to challenge yourself sometimes a treadmill is more effective because you can crank up the speed to push yourself to a faster pace or higher heart rate. Using one of the programmed workouts is effective as long as you know your fitness level and what level is challenging to you and you can keep in mind that some of the programmed runs have been developed by pros for the sole purpose of improving your fitness level.
Just keep in mind that if trg for a particular event, running in controlled conditions inside never equal the "environment" outside which you might face on the event day ie temp, head winds etc.
Once again the benefits are proportional to the quality of the treadmill you are running on.

If you are going to run outside, avoid running on concrete (sidewalks, etc) as I have read somewhere that concrete is 10% "harder" than asphalt. Avoid running on the same side of the road all the time, due to road crowning (roads slope to left usually..... hard on knees, hips, etc). If running on a track, switch directions every other time.... same theory involved, otherwise you are always straining same side of body.

I would recommend running on any form of fitness trail (usually gravel or wood chips...... much kinder to your body) available. Less traffic, usually not straight, so the run never seems as long as a long-ass stretch of road.... Anyone who has ever run the runway in Edmonton Garrison knows what I'm talkin' about.

Al

Back